Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Know what u mean. I had ballyb and castlegregory 2 weeks ago
    And ballyb and tralee this week (weather permitting)
    Dooks next week
    Love links golf

What were ypur thoughts on Castlegregory. I think Its a fantastic little links challenge. Used to play it a lot as a teen on holidays. Must be over 10 years since I played it

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Neewollah wrote: »
    What were ypur thoughts on Castlegregory. I think Its a fantastic little links challenge. Used to play it a lot as a teen on holidays. Must be over 10 years since I played it

Stunning
    Best 9 hole course I've played
    Tough challenge aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Stunning
    Best 9 hole course I've played
    Tough challenge aswell

Great to hear. Never hear it mentioned to much in comparison to the courses around it but it's a real gem and a great place to sharpen your links game because it tests everything. I must make an effort to get down and play it again soon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played Enniscrone off the Blue Tees yesterday (1st visit this year). Rubbish weather for the 1st 3 holes but then dried up. There was a good breeze blowing. It is a great test of ball-striking! I still think it is let down by 12th and 13th. 14th to 16th must be right up there with 3 of the best consecutive holes anywhere in the world.

How are the greens? They were pretty bad when we played last year, so hoping they are better now. Playing there in just under 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Played the Kilmore 9 at Carne last Friday and I doubt you’ll find a better 9 holes anywhere. The par 3s in particular are incredible.

We played it in 40 kph winds and trusting some of the lines was tough. A must visit if you love your links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Kiith wrote: »
    How are the greens? They were pretty bad when we played last year, so hoping they are better now. Playing there in just under 3 weeks.

Greens were excellent 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

When did you play?

I played it twice last year and the greens were as perfect as they have ever been - I've been playing there every year for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

They were in perfect nick two weeks ago for me.

Links greens always tend to be a bit slower, especially when compared to summer time parkland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Very good on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Played Enniscrone two weeks ago in perfect weather, greens were in top condition. I thought all my putts rolled really well and all the greens were a consistent pace.

One of the most enjoyable rounds I've played (playing well also helped!). Great course.

A few weak holes around 6-9 in the flat part of the property furthest away from the dunnes, but 11 through 16 are all great holes. Drove the green on 13 with my provisional by accident which was a nice bonus!

Would play again tomorrow, especially for €45 (was a Friday late afternoon rate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any good comps to play on Sunday (30th) and Monday (31st August). An open or somewhere that’s got half decent green fees. I’m not really up for paying £200 green fees for Royal County Down. I’m from the North so somewhere in Ulster or as far as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any good comps to play on Sunday (30th) and Monday (31st August). An open or somewhere that’s got half decent green fees. I’m not really up for paying £200 green fees for Royal County Down. I’m from the North so somewhere in Ulster or as far as Dublin.

It’s not links but Killeen Castle has opens both days and is definitely worth a trip. Less than an hour from Newry.

Seapoint open on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

thewobbler wrote: »
    It’s not links but Killeen Castle has opens both days and is definitely worth a trip. Less than an hour from Newry.

Seapoint open on Tuesday.

I’m off Monday. I’ve looked at Killeen castle before. Is it a good course? And most importantly is it dry? That’s the reason why I’m asking for a links course. With the rain we’ve had most courses are probably like a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭redhill

I’m off Monday. I’ve looked at Killeen castle before. Is it a good course? And most importantly is it dry? That’s the reason why I’m asking for a links course. With the rain we’ve had most courses are probably like a bog.

Excellent course, I’d say pretty dry too, doesn’t get anywhere near as wet as say a Concra or Farnham estate
    Doesn’t have any really standout holes, but a great flow to the place. Top 4/5 parklands in Ireland in most lists I would reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jams100

Druids glen have opens on Mondays I think. One of my favourite courses, possibly a little wet though but well worth playing once imo

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

jams100 wrote: »
    Druids glen have opens on Mondays I think. One of my favourite courses, possibly a little wet though but well worth playing once imo

European has a fourball better ball Sunday €75

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jams100

stretchaq wrote: »
    European has a fourball better ball Sunday €75

Is there a link or do you have to ring?
    Take it that is €75 each

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

jams100 wrote: »
    Is there a link or do you have to ring?
    Take it that is €75 each

Ring then ya €75 each, I’m actually out at 10.30, I will be the fella in the long grass all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Got to play Ballybunion 2 days in a row. Thursday was windy and wet. Torture but still enjoyed it

Yesterday was beautiful day. Totally different wind direction. Felt like different course.

Something so pure about playing links.

Thankfully got play links golf 5 times this year and each time has been a joy no matter the weather.

Baltray doing an fourball on Thursdays in September.

€240 a team including €40 towards a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness that is the best yet ?

In fairness that is the best yet ?

I’d say that that’s a pretty solid deal myself. It’s off peak but it’s still high season.

For comparison I’m getting both Rosapennas and Portsalon for €160 (over a weekend) in early October. Which is utterly fantastic value. Baltray is now tagging (occasionally) into the same pricing territory even though it’s only 30 mins for a million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Some great deals
    out there at the moment lads . Make the most of it . This is once in a lifetime value that won’t be seen again once mass immunization becomes a reality , and normal service is resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

rooney30 wrote: »
    Some great deals
    out there at the moment lads . Make the most of it . This is once in a lifetime value that won’t be seen again once mass immunization becomes a reality , and normal service is resumed.

Mass immunisation isn't a reality.
    Normal service wont resume like before. At least not for 10 years. We had 10m visitors last year. 3m americans. It took years to get to that level. It will all depend on what's left of aviation industry.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Normal service wont resume like before. At least not for 10 years. We had 10m visitors last year. 3m americans. It took years to get to that level. It will all depend on what's left of aviation industry.

Jaysus that is very negative.

I see things being sorted within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Where can we find this offer? Sounds like a good deal

bmay529 wrote: »
    Where can we find this offer? Sounds like a good deal

It’ll be released on their BRS tomorrow night I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Whiplash85 wrote: »

If we are sitting here in 10 years time still getting discounted rates on our famous links because of covid 19 then I’ll eat my hat

rooney30 wrote: »
    If we are sitting here in 10 years time still getting discounted rates on our famous links because of covid 19 then I’ll eat my hat

I'll eat my bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

My cat is looking nervous

Advertisement