Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

charlie14 wrote: »
    Jeez, not just leg irons needed so. Best to be sure. Handcuffs, leg irons and straightjackets for all suspects.
    I was going to include gags, but felt that might be just a tad extreme.

Time to get this rig out
    airplane3-150x150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

aloyisious wrote: »
    It seem's that this latest twist all revolves around the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder case and Ian Bailey's defence discovery order against AGS. It seem's this includes phone tapes. it also seem's that something might have turned up on one of the tapes. Remember that a former DPP, Eamon Barnes, had not been happy about the way AGS had investigated Ian Bailey and built their case. In light of how it's been revealed that Gardai conversations had also been recorded on the tapes, that maybe, only maybe, such a conversation might have caught some of the investigators hiding evidence, or even worse, concocting evidence against Ian Bailey. This might be what excited the AG's interest as apparently the Ian Bailey case against the state is due to hit the courts this week.

My money is on the lady who said she saw Bailey that night and who then withdrew her testimony in court citing Garda pressure.
    What`s the betting she originally made the accusation by phone anonymously and was then tracked down and pressurised by the Garda using her taped call?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Sounds like Enda has bottled it and backed Shatter, hence his dail performance this morning...As previously mentioned ball is in Gilmore's court!
    Also still silence from R Bruton....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Floppybits wrote: »
    Jaysus Shatter showed no humility in that speech to the Dail, instead he went on the attack.

What is it they say about the best form of defence being attach - he's a solicitor after all and as arrogant as they come !! He has no intention of resigning and Kenny has no balls to sack him , so the merry dance goes onn !!
    How many more Callinans have to take a hit to keep him in office , not that I'm supporting Callinan either They deserve each other !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

touts wrote: »
    Based on that speech he is more likely to bring in leglislation to outlaw the opposition and the media (who are apparently to blame for all this) than resign.

The ball is firmly in Gilmore's court now. He has to insist Shatter is sacked or the government falls.

Lol, in response to all the fury towards him and calls for his resignation and statements that he blames everyone else for everything that goes wrong; his response is to say that crime is down overall, and why was everyone blaming him, when the media and the opposition should have picked up on this.

Jaypurs! What f'n planet is he on??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

sopretty wrote: »
    Lol, in response to all the fury towards him and calls for his resignation and statements that he blames everyone else for everything that goes wrong; his response is to say that crime is down overall, and why was everyone blaming him, when the media and the opposition should have picked up on this.

Jaypurs! What f'n planet is he on??????

He's from Merrion Square where the absolute truth is alien. Enda's cage is being rattled now by MM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is there anyone out there who still supports Minister Shatter's position? :rolleyes:

The Taoiseach is starting to be dragged into all of this now in a very serious manner along with the Attorney General. The government is in disarray.

Is there anyone out there who still supports Minister Shatter's position? :rolleyes:

The Taoiseach is starting to be dragged into all of this now in a very serious manner along with the Attorney General. The government is in disarray.

michael martin just basically pointed out that enda kenny sacked the garda commissioner!!

he cant possibly leave shatter in his ministerial position now!

this is really better than watching any soap opera

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bubblypop wrote: »
    michael martin just basically pointed out that enda kenny sacked the garda commissioner!!

he cant possibly leave shatter in his ministerial position now!

this is really better than watching any soap opera

And also looks like Enda mislead the Dáil on purpose yesterday.

They didn't expect the letter from the Garda Commissioner to surface, it has completely undermined the government narrative on all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Enda looks extremely uncomfortable on Leaders Questions right now.

It's actually getting worse... I had to control a little smirk when he told the Dáil that the AG wasn't prepared to discuss the matter on the phone with him on Sunday. Oh the irony... Maybe she was concerned as to who might have been listening!
    Enda has backed the wrong horse and if he's not careful he will be the biggest loser in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Call me Al wrote: »
    Enda looks extremely uncomfortable on Leaders Questions right now.

It's actually getting worse... I had to control a little smirk when he told the Dáil that the AG wasn't prepared to discuss the matter on the phone with him on Sunday. Oh the irony... Maybe she was concerned as to who might have been listening!
    Enda has backed the wrong horse and if he's not careful he will be the biggest loser in all of this.

Hahaha, wouldn't be any loss if Enda and Shatter went, their time is up. Where is Richard Burton ?? Where are Labour ??

FG need a new leader, Ireland needs a new Minister for Justice

A legal technical question: Does Martin Callinan (as a private citizen - now he's retired) have more rights to decline to attend an Oireachtas Committee to answer questions than he would have on Monday as Commissioner of AGS with a legal responsibility to the State?

Enda has just stated in the Dail that following the AG talking to him on Sunday about the legal bombshell, he sought legal advice from a separate source on what he should (and probably could) do to resolve the new situation. If it included some form of legal avoidance of blame, or putting it beyond touch, would inviting the Comm to become a private citizen, and no longer a state employee liable to the Oireachtas be a good way to do so?

I also wonder if the AG knew about the Comm's letter to Alan.

im actually starting to believe that Shatter will actually go.

Enda wont want to be dragged down with him now will he?

I cannot believe that Enda is still backing Shatter. His own judgement as leader of the country is now coming into question. I get the feeling that he himself does not know exactly what is going on, things are developing very rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bubblypop wrote: »
    im actually starting to believe that Shatter will actually go.

Enda wont want to be dragged down with him now will he?
    I cannot believe that Enda is still backing Shatter. His own judgement as leader of the country is now coming into question. I get the feeling that he himself does not know exactly what is going on, things are developing very rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

touts wrote: »
    Based on that speech he is more likely to bring in leglislation to outlaw the opposition and the media (who are apparently to blame for all this) than resign.

The ball is firmly in Gilmore's court now. He has to insist Shatter is sacked or the government falls.

Unless he has a political death wish Gilmore will make no such threat. Labor are being pummeled in the polls at the moment. A general election would see them lose the majority of their seats. They always always look out for number one. Don't expect anything less this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It seems bizarre that Shatter wasn't aware of the taped phone calls until this week. The GSOC investigation was reported on at the time, and we're supposed to buy that nobody in the DoJ thought to inform the Minister.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Pedestrians in the Stephen's Green area area advised to be careful around the Department of Justice - the blood flowing down the steps of the Department will make the footpath hazardous for walking!

curioser wrote: »
    Pedestrians in the Stephen's Green area area advised to be careful around the Department of Justice - the blood flowing down the steps of the Department will make the footpath hazardous for walking!

Does this health warning apply to Merrion Square and Kildare St?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭golfball37

K-9 wrote: »
    It seems bizarre that Shatter wasn't aware of the taped phone calls until this week. The GSOC investigation was reported on at the time, and we're supposed to buy that nobody in the DoJ thought to inform the Minister.

Certainly in light of his comments the time the bugging scandal came to light.

He was outraged that he wasn't notified straight away as we all remember. Presuming that this scandal is even bigger than that why is he not now even more outraged with a/Attorney Gen or b/ His own department

• Advertisement

golfball37 wrote: »

He was outraged that he wasn't notified straight away as we all remember. Presuming that this scandal is even bigger than that why is he not now even more outraged with a/Attorney Gen or b/ His own department

The word he used is "unfortunate"... Considering the drama that we are all seeing unfold today, and the sudden sense if urgency that is being pushed through the media I would think outraged or disturbing would be more appropriate.
    I think he's gone by the end of today tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

golfball37 wrote: »

The bugging scandal I could see, it was a confidential report with security risks, and GSOC decided not to go further with it.

This was a pretty high profile court case and GSOC investigation. I know we should never underestimate incompetence but this is stretching it for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

aloyisious wrote: »
    Does this health warning apply to Merrion Square and Kildare St?

Probably safe enough around there. Sounds like they have decided to knife one or more officials in Justice - a clerk typist can usually be found to scapegoat and is eminently expendable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

OK so FF were totally corrupt and incompetent
    FG are incompetent and allow corruption
    Labour are a central populist party and completely ineffective under Gilmore.

SF have a terrorist background that they are (slowly, under Mary-Lou and others) leaving behind (FF and FG also had their birth in blood shed, so it can be left behind). I am beginning to think that they will be a major player, come next GE (or the one after)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

joe316 wrote: »

Apparently the system was upgraded in 2008. Shatter didnt go into details re what areas, so it could be fairly something innocuous like the 999 phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

K-9 wrote: »

Yes it does seem bizarre. It does not look good for him if that was true. He comes across then, as out of the loop. He does not appear to know much, but quite prepared to brush things under the carpet, when they arise. Shatter appears to be all image but with little substance.

Backbenchers in FG & Labour are starting to concede in private that Shatter must resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

OK so FF were totally corrupt and incompetent
    FG are incompetent and allow corruption
    Labour are a central populist party and completely ineffective under Gilmore.

SF have a terrorist background that they are (slowly, under Mary-Lou and others) leaving behind (FF and FG also had their birth in blood shed, so it can be left behind). I am beginning to think that they will be a major player, come next GE (or the one after)

Eamon Ryan might be Taoiseach yet.

/shudder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Backbenchers in FG & Labour are starting to concede in private that Shatter must resign.

Where do you hear this kind of thing?

Advertisement