Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Left or right? Ross Kemp's jacket isn't great but the other guys is grand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Dont do it !!!!
    Your first date will not turn into a 2nd date lol

I stand by this :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Well, whatever I wore still made a good impression. Although I'd like to think that it was me more than my clothes! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Good tie colour for a wedding? Wearing a black suit with a light blue shirt...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Possibly a striped pink tie. Is it a plain black suit? Would you have a pic of the shirt or a similar shirt online?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Possibly a striped pink tie. Is it a plain black suit? Would you have a pic of the shirt or a similar shirt online?

plain black, shirt prob same colour as this certainly not much darker. Prob any tie will do really :rolleyes:

cheers

• Advertisement

If you're wearing a light blue shirt, a royal blue tie can look good too. Silk ties look classy.

Also, a red tie could go well either.

But the pink tie above is a beauty, so if you can lay your hands on it (or something like it), go for it!

Funnily enough Jase I was thinking of that colour also

Something like this http://m.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_097010739345_-1

I don't work for Debenham, I promise :) It just has a good website to search from.

Funnily enough Jase I was thinking of that colour also

Something like this http://m.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_097010739345_-1

Yep, that is the exact colour I had in mind. My favourite tie is that colour except it has little white squares all over it.

That colour tie goes really well with a blue shirt or a yellow shirt too.

JaseHeath wrote: »
    Yep, that is the exact colour I had in mind. My favourite tie is that colour except it has little white squares all over it.

That colour tie goes really well with a blue shirt or a yellow shirt too.

tumblr_inline_n5ug49WQYg1sftfvq.gif

But my mom says I'm cool. :( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

If the shirt is light blue, a navy blue tie or a black tie would work. Red would be hideous, you would look like a flag. Red and blue are not complementary colours.

Pink is a possibility, but as a general rule, ties tend to look better when they are darker than the shirt. A pink tie is on the borderline and could look washed out. Pink shirts can look great, especially with black ties, but pink ties are awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I think a navy and pink striped tie would look great. Generally the rule to follow is to make sure that the tie is darker than the shirt. Definitely stay away from a black tie at a wedding though.

Also, forgive the ignorance maybe, but what's wrong with a pale yellow shirt and a blue tie? :/ I just don't see what's so wrong with it? Or am I just being stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Also, forgive the ignorance maybe, but what's wrong with a pale yellow shirt and a blue tie? :/ I just don't see what's so wrong with it? Or am I just being stupid?

There are almost no people on whom or situations in which a yellow shirt looks good. Explains why you never see yellow shirts being sold.

Additionally, yellow shirt and blue tie risks a washed out look. What colour would the suit be?

• Advertisement

234 wrote: »
    There are almost no people on whom or situations in which a yellow shirt looks good. Explains why you never see yellow shirts being sold.

Additionally, yellow shirt and blue tie risks a washed out look. What colour would the suit be?

I have two very pale yellow shirts, one with a faint stripe pattern. I wear them with a tie that is striped blue and yellow and usually a navy blazer. I always thought it looks good! Maybe I'm wrong now. :o

Also, I posted this elsewhere, but got zero response, so maybe the good gentlemen here will be able to help! :)

I've scoured M&S, Debenhams, Arnotts, Brown Thomas, ebay, gumtree, and lots of other places and I'm really drawing a blank here.

I'm looking to get my hands on a knee-length trench coat or an overcoat. Colour is not important, but either black or navy would be preferred, but again not essential. If anyone here has ever watched The X-Files, similar to the ones Deep Throat or Mulder wore during the first season is kind of what I'm after.

Any of the sites or shops I've been in, the coats cut off around mid-thigh/above the knee. I want one that goes a bit longer, to below the knee.

Many thanks if anyone knows of either a website or a bricks and mortar store (preferably in and around Dublin) where I could find one.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Also, I posted this elsewhere, but got zero response, so maybe the good gentlemen here will be able to help! :)

I've scoured M&S, Debenhams, Arnotts, Brown Thomas, ebay, gumtree, and lots of other places and I'm really drawing a blank here.

I'm looking to get my hands on a knee-length trench coat or an overcoat. Colour is not important, but either black or navy would be preferred, but again not essential. If anyone here has ever watched The X-Files, similar to the ones Deep Throat or Mulder wore during the first season is kind of what I'm after.

Any of the sites or shops I've been in, the coats cut off around mid-thigh/above the knee. I want one that goes a bit longer, to below the knee.

Many thanks if anyone knows of either a website or a bricks and mortar store (preferably in and around Dublin) where I could find one.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what your willing to spend but Burberry trench coats are the best you can get. As far as I know Brown Thomas in Dublin stock Burberry but I don't know if they stock the trench coats.

Very surprised you didnt see any in Arnotts.
    Def worth another look as i always see some there. Might be new stock due in January??

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I don't know what your willing to spend but Burberry trench coats are the best you can get. As far as I know Brown Thomas in Dublin stock Burberry but I don't know if they stock the trench coats.

Cheapest one I found on the Burberry website was north of €1,200. So no. And the ones they had were pretty much mid-thigh length too.

I think my father would kill me if he found out I'd spent more on a coat than I would have spent on my first car! :P
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Very surprised you didnt see any in Arnotts.
    Def worth another look as i always see some there. Might be new stock due in January??

Maybe so. I've never been let down by either Marks and Sparks or Arnotts or Debenhams before. So when none of the three of them had them in stock, I was pretty stunned. Maybe they'll have them in January, as you said. I'll see what happens! :)

How about Zara?

http://m.zara.com/ie/en/sale/man/coats-and-trench-coats/trench-coat/oversized-trench-coat-c698777p2221054.html Don't know if this is long enough but I do like Zara for trench coats I have to say. H&m can be hit and mix quality wise but you can get lucky there.

How about Zara?

http://m.zara.com/ie/en/sale/man/coats-and-trench-coats/trench-coat/oversized-trench-coat-c698777p2221054.html Don't know if this is long enough but I do like Zara for trench coats I have to say. H&m can be hit and mix quality wise but you can get lucky there.

Thanks, Tigger, but that's still a bit shorter than what I'd be looking for. I'm looking for one that goes down below the knee, proper full coverage from rain and all that. As well as looking bad-ass! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

I got this blazer for Christmas and was wondering what would go with it? I want to wear it for New Years eve, but also interested in what would go with it for day time wear too
    http://www.massimodutti.com/us/en/men/gifts-for-him/urban-camouflage/checked-wool-blazer-c1240021p4526443.html

I currently own chinos in the following colours
    dark navy
    light grey
    beige
    ochre

Have shirts in all colours. Stripes and plain

Willing to go out and buy something to go with it if needs be.

was looking at looks like this
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/185562447119951991/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I got this blazer for Christmas and was wondering what would go with it? I want to wear it for New Years eve, but also interested in what would go with it for day time wear too
    http://www.massimodutti.com/us/en/men/gifts-for-him/urban-camouflage/checked-wool-blazer-c1240021p4526443.html

Black jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I currently own chinos in the following colours
    dark navy
    light grey
    beige
    ochre

Have shirts in all colours. Stripes and plain

was looking at looks like this
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/185562447119951991/

Argh why is the model ruining the lapels with that sprezzy bullsh*t!

I'm not a big fan of wearing wool jackets with denim but I think they get it right from a texture and colour perspective in both examples you've given.
    With a fairly prominent pattern like your jacket has I'd keep the rest of the outfit fairly simple and only use subtle, if any, patterns elsewhere.

So for the shirt, I think any variation of light blue would go well. Plain would be my preference but a micro check or pencil stripe may work also. I'd avoid bengal stripes or larger checks as they will cause too much busyness with the jacket pattern.

I find grey jackets more difficult to match with lighter coloured trousers so of the choices you give, the navy chinos are my preference.

Advertisement