Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion thread

Options
  • 16-02-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

We've a good few fashion threads cropping up here lately that I reckon are more suited to here than the fashion forum.
    So what we're going to do is have this one big thread for all things fashion.
    I'll leave the ones that are up already, but any new ones will be moved into here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

How many ties do you have? And how often do you rotate them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

15 to 20, mostly work ones though.

I don't have a rotation policy per se but I guess I wear them every 7 or 8 days. Depends on what shirts are clean/ironed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How many pairs of jocks do you own? How much is too expensive when it comes to pairs of jocks?

I made the mistake of buying Dunnes or Penneys jocks, and they don't last pi55ing time, no pun intended.

So, as of late, I've bought ones in Next. While they are a bit more expensive, they seem to be lasting a lot longer.

I don't know if you have to wait until the bottom of your jocks frays away before getting new ones?

I have never bought Calvin Klein or fancy dan jocks. They seem expensive, but can't comment on them other than that.

It never bothered the ladies that I didn't have designer jocks on, but I only hook up with them the odd time.

I have some emergency jocks in case all the good ones run out. So they would be a few pairs of cheap ones I might wear jogging, but I'd have to break them out of the glass case if I ran out of good ones.

Under no circumstances should these be work if you are in with a good chance of joining a lady friend or male friend in bed.

Looking for ideas on some decent cargo trousers? Saw good quality Hilfiger ones, but not seen them lately, and the Carharrt ones are light enough material.

Next used to have some really good ones about 5 or 6 years ago, but they don't seem to have run the same style the last few years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Own about 3 ties and they go with the few formal shirts I have. Don't wear suits or formal attire in work so they only come out for formal occasions, funerals, christenings and weddings.

As for underwear, there is a brand that C&A do and they are very very comfortable and "ahem" supportive :pac: Can't remember the name on the label but they are like a boxer brief style. I think a 4 pack is about €25 so not overly expensive. Usually buy two or 3 packs at a time when there.

I've had a few pairs of Calvin Klein in the past and tbh I found them over rated and very over priced for what they are.

I think I have close to 30 pairs and about 50 pairs of socks.. you can never have too many :D

I never let mine get to a stage where they are worn through. I wouldn't let me clothes I wear everyday in plain view of everyone get to that state so why I should I let the clothes very few others see get to the same way. Once they start to wear, they go into the bin and I open another pack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't own a tie. Haven't worn one since I sloughed off my school tie and thankfully haven't been required to. Always hated the bloody things. Plus in a suit and tie I look like either the accused, an undernourished macedonian hitman, or the recently deceased so...

Jocks and socks, I go for Dunnes best TBH. Tee shirts I'd look for better quality though.

Shirts all sorts, cotton, linen or hemp and I aim for quality. Jeans would be Levi's/Lee.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I've a ****load of ties, most of which I don't wear. I'm required to wear a tie for work but I mostly just go with the same 4-5 ties on rotation.

The same could probably be said for most of my wardrobe actually. Tend to wear the same jeans, t-shirts (short sleeve and long) over and over until I buy new ones, then the old ones get tossed in a pile that I'll wear about once a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Does anyone else find they wear about 5% of their wardrobe over and over again and the other 95% is never worn? For me, it's not because I hate those clothes but I just never feel like wearing them at any given time but at the same time don't want to give them to charity just yet in case an occasion arises. Do any of you guys have clear out rules (eg if not worn in a year, get rid!)?

I really need to do a springclean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I used to be good at clearing out older clothes but have found a build up over the last year or so, mostly old T-shirts and socks with crappy elastics on them as well as saggy boxers. I think I will do a clean out this weeken of the older stuff. In general though I wear most of what is in my wardrobe. I have 6 pairs of formal work trousers and about 20 shirts which I rotate fairly regularly.

My mother always repaired broken elastics, patched jeans, darned socks and sent old shoes for reheeling. I guess I have never really come to terms with the disposable nature of clothes.

I rotate stuff, and often find I end up with a load of washing on the floor.

I have trainers or shoes I wouldn't wear for ages, then I wear them.

I used to be of the opinion that I should only replace footwear when they start to wear. Then I started working and thought I could have a few pairs of trainers.

Now I'm going back to the idea of wear the bejaysus out of them, and then get a new pair instead of having stuff pile up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I used to be good at clearing out older clothes but have found a build up over the last year or so, mostly old T-shirts and socks with crappy elastics on them as well as saggy boxers. I think I will do a clean out this weeken of the older stuff. In general though I wear most of what is in my wardrobe. I have 6 pairs of formal work trousers and about 20 shirts which I rotate fairly regularly.

My mother always repaired broken elastics, patched jeans, darned socks and sent old shoes for reheeling. I guess I have never really come to terms with the disposable nature of clothes.

Clothes are just so cheap now. It's like €2.50 for 5 pairs of socks in penny's. I know they aren't amazing quality. But socks are socks and they wear out eventually.

I recently cleared out anything that I haven't worn in 6 months and put away my summer clothes. It's amazing how much stuff you don't wear because you forgot you had it. Like jumpers you used to wear but stop wearing them as they were in the bottom of the wardrobe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Emmm, 60+. Have about 40 on a tie rack and the other 20 which have fallen out of favour whatever reason are in a drawer somewhere.

I'm similiar to Pepe LeFrits though in that I have about 5-6 ties which are my go to ones, although I only need to wear a tie 5-6 times a month.

I can also relate to ongarboy. I've gotten fussier about things as I get older. Small things like a jacket being a little too short or a shirt collar not being spread enough now annoy me to the extent of avoiding that item of clothing, where before I would just wear them regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

ongarboy wrote: »
    Does anyone else find they wear about 5% of their wardrobe over and over again and the other 95% is never worn? For me, it's not because I hate those clothes but I just never feel like wearing them at any given time but at the same time don't want to give them to charity just yet in case an occasion arises. Do any of you guys have clear out rules (eg if not worn in a year, get rid!)?

I really need to do a springclean!

A super suggestion I once heard and tried was to put all your hangers the wrong way around in your wardrobe. As you go through them to take stuff out you'll inevitably throw the handers back properly for clothes you've worn/ hanging washing. After a month/3 months/ 6 m or whatever do an audit, if you havnt turned the hanger the right way, meaning you havnt worn it, it goes in the charity pile.

Actually a pretty neat system. It sounds a bit weird or unnecessary but it helped me narrow my wardrobe. Was surprised at some of the stuff that I gave away but have never missed the item.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I only wear Calvin Klein or Hilfiger jocks, bulk buy when I go the US. I'm very particular about the socks I wear! So I usually spend a few bob on them

Suits I have 2 and going to get one more shortly. I get a good bit of wear out of them so don't mind spending cash on them

Casual gear I've got way too many jeans and chinos but I do rotate them well. I don't mind spending money on myself once all the household essentials are done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    My dad was more the one to do that PR. Beyond jocks and socks I'd be similar regarding the disposable consumerist thing myself. Doesn't sit well with me. Plus the fashion industry is pushing to pull men into the "this seasons wear" type BS which I really don't buy into.

As hfallada points out clothes have generally gotten so much cheaper, so tend not to last because of it. You generally have to pay for quality that lasts. Shoes a perfect example. A good pair of handmade shoes can literally last a lifetime. I've a pair I got readied up in 1985(yep) and still wear them 3/4 days a week nearly 30 years later. On the other hand a pair of trainers will be lucky to make it to their first birthday on my feet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wibbs wrote: »
    Don't own a tie.

:eek:

I have close to 50. Of course absolutely no need for that many but I love ties and when I see one I like I can't leave it behind. I wear one for work everyday so it's not a completely pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Probably posting in the wrong place. Do any of you lads know where to get pattern hoodies online? I'm not even sure pattern hoodies is the right term. This sort of thing:

koi_pattern___hoodie_by_sihonorio-d394gmb.jpg

Don't mean that exact pattern, just hoodies with print covering them. They are some pretty fish though.

Anyway, thought this might be the right place to ask. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

About 10 ties, all skinny

Cannot stand those big chunky grandad ties at all.

I'm a hipster b*tch :D

Can anyone clear up when you would wear a regular shirt, a tailored shirt, or a tapered shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can anyone clear up when you would wear a regular shirt, a tailored shirt, or a tapered shirt?

Well, the terminology is far from clear, but if those are just labels that a particular retailer is using to designate how close-fitting a shirt it, then it is entirely a matter of personal preference.

There is no rule of etiquette that mandates any particular kind.

I would say generally, that unless you are overweight, you should avoid shirts that are excessively baggy, with lots of excess material creating a muffin-top effect once tucked in at the waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Probably posting in the wrong place. Do any of you lads know where to get pattern hoodies online? I'm not even sure pattern hoodies is the right term. This sort of thing:

koi_pattern___hoodie_by_sihonorio-d394gmb.jpg

Don't mean that exact pattern, just hoodies with print covering them. They are some pretty fish though.

Anyway, thought this might be the right place to ask. Cheers.

Would depend how much money you want to spend tbh. I know Billionaire Boys Club do hoodies like that but are crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Would depend how much money you want to spend tbh. I know Billionaire Boys Club do hoodies like that but are crazy money.

Jaysus you weren't lying when you said crazy. £300 for a hoodie.

I've always worn plain black cotton socks but was thinking of switiching recently to those brightly coloured novelty socks.

Someone please talk me out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just while people are speaking of ties, I'm sure most have something similar to the below, but you'll find something similar in Pennys for €2 - have two of them and they're the business for storing ties.

The Pennys one has velvet feeling, non slip material on them so you'll rarely see a tie go missing.

20-ties-wooden-handy-wardrobe-tie-hanger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I've always worn plain black cotton socks but was thinking of switiching recently to those brightly coloured novelty socks.

Someone please talk me out of this
    You should stick with plain black

Says the guy with turtles, muppets, sonic and many other random cartoon socks >_>

D'Agger wrote: »
    Just while people are speaking of ties, I'm sure most have something similar to the below, but you'll find something similar in Pennys for €2 - have two of them and they're the business for storing ties.

The Pennys one has velvet feeling, non slip material on them so you'll rarely see a tie go missing.

20-ties-wooden-handy-wardrobe-tie-hanger.jpg

Best 2 quid I ever spent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I need a new man bag/satchel type thing - any suggestions?

Im really struggling to find a nice one and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that's only used for work. Max €50.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I need a new man bag/satchel type thing - any suggestions?

Im really struggling to find a nice one and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that's only used for work. Max €50.

Some amazing mens bags/satchels in River Island for 35 quid.

Also try those 'bag shops' you see in the city centre like Bag City that sell school bags and umbrellas, they have some nice ones :)

Cheers.
    Wouldn't normally be caught dead in RI but will have a look upon this recommendation!! :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Slattsy wrote: »
    Wouldn't normally be caught dead in RI but will have a look upon this recommendation!! :-)

What is wrong with River island? I don't generally go in there but it has a good enough reputation, No?

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be my cuppa tea now PR, chav-tastic.

Advertisement