Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I normally pick up something in M&S in January - their pure wool suits which normally retail at 269-350E can be bought for anywhere from 100E if you're really lucky to 250E depending on sizes.

Remember to leave some budget for alterations!
    Sugar Free wrote: »
    Just giving a quick bump - M&S have a 20% sale on until the 15th. Apparently it includes all items. See here for the code:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057218798

You're a mine of good information, sir! Fair play.

Wool is more hard-wearing for the beleaguered suits of the Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Their ties annoy me. They are too short

Not to mention their shirts. Don't know who the genius is that designs them but they manage to mess it up every time. There is always way too much material on the sleeves and shoulder area, messing up an otherwise nice shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

What is the cut like generally on an M&S suit? I like my suit trouser legs to have a bit of a kick out on them, i.e. not be skinny or "drain pipey"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    What is the cut like generally on an M&S suit? I like my suit trouser legs to have a bit of a kick out on them, i.e. not be skinny or "drain pipey"

Autograph range generally more slim fitting. Their Sartorial, Ultimate and Collezione should be regular fit. It usually states it on or near the suits themselves in store. Certainly on the site it does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Anyone here have FF miles with Aer Lingus Gold Circle? If so you can trade your miles for Arnotts or BT vouchers.

I don't travel on business much any more so they were just going to waste. My miles translated to 175E of vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Guys what are the best sites to pick up a decent pair of shoes, that cater for sizes larger than a 12? Want to see if any good bargains come up in January.

I know debenhams have a semi decent selection, and Herring Shoes. Anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Guys what are the best sites to pick up a decent pair of shoes, that cater for sizes larger than a 12? Want to see if any good bargains come up in January.

I know debenhams have a semi decent selection, and Herring Shoes. Anywhere else?

Formal shoes? Or do you want more casual stuff? Because for more casual, I love M and M Direct. Their stuff is all brand names and really cheap too. For more formal shoes, Fitzpatrick's Shoes (Grafton Street or Dundrum Shopping Centre) are amazing too.

My own query: for a first date, how formal should I go? We are intending to go for a meal and possibly to the cinema before/after. I'm thinking that a suit/shirt/tie would be over the top, but what about a suit with a shirt and no tie? Or is that still too formal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

JaseHeath wrote: »

My own query: for a first date, how formal should I go? We are intending to go for a meal and possibly to the cinema before/after. I'm thinking that a suit/shirt/tie would be over the top, but what about a suit with a shirt and no tie? Or is that still too formal?

First date you dont want to go anywhere near a suit. Way OTT!

Dark jeans, brown (not tan) shoes and a nice plain shirt. No stripes or designs.
    Throw a blazer on maybe if you have one?
    Very smart. But maybe not if your going to the movies.

And wimmin love smart, but a suit is trying too hard.

Slattsy wrote: »

Dark jeans, brown (not tan) shoes and a nice plain shirt. No stripes or designs.

Thanks! I thought as much. I am usually dressed formally anyway.

I have it pretty much picked out in my head now! :)

Good man, good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Slattsy wrote: »

I would lose the blazer. Its still way too formal for a first date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Men's Chelsea boots anyone?

Can't find them anywhere- well, I can, just that they're not the pointy toe classic Chelsea boot look, they're more the square toe ones

hfallada wrote: »
    I would lose the blazer. Its still way too formal for a first date.

Leather jacket, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Leather jacket, maybe?

Can't go wrong with a leather jacket - timeless look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Sounds just about right

A suit is way too much alright. Best of luck with the date Jase :)

Leather jacket, maybe?

Dont do it !!!!
    Your first date will not turn into a 2nd date lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Actually, thinking again about the leather jacket, there's a fine line between cool and dad jacket :) Unfortunately I've seen more of the second type on dates.

Don't wear the leather jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

This guy dresses perfectly for a first date

http://instagram.com/iamgalla

You want to look put together, not I have spent half the evening deciding what to wear.

Right, screw it. Adidas tracksuit and white runners it is. :P

Formal shoes? Or do you want more casual stuff? Because for more casual, I love M and M Direct. Their stuff is all brand names and really cheap too. For more formal shoes, Fitzpatrick's Shoes (Grafton Street or Dundrum Shopping Centre) are amazing too.

Bricks & Mortar is generally no use as they usually don't stock anything over a 12. MandM only have Caterpillar boots in a 13, not really what I'm looking for either unfortunately. I'm looking for more formal shoe, brogues or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

It seems ASOS have a large selection of boots/shoes in size 13, anyone any idea of their quality? They're relatively cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It seems ASOS have a large selection of boots/shoes in size 13, anyone any idea of their quality? They're relatively cheap!
    I feel your pain when it comes to getting shoes in a size that's outside of the norm.
    I bought a pair of ASOS branded Chelsea boots recently.
    Quality seems fine, I guess time will tell how well they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

hfallada wrote: »
    This guy dresses perfectly for a first date

http://instagram.com/iamgalla

You want to look put together, not I have spent half the evening deciding what to wear.

Does he say where he gets the clothes he wears? Or are there similar people who do?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

BOHtox wrote: »
    Does he say where he gets the clothes he wears? Or are there similar people who do?

Most fashion bloggers have a blog where they will do a post for all the fit pics they post on social media along with other things his fro example is iamgalla.com

Otherwise they'll say in the description what they're wearing usually in the form of BrandxBrandxBrand starting with the outer most layer I usually find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

BOHtox wrote: »

Yeah his website tells you the brands but not the exact description. He wears mostly Parisian/Milanese high-end designer brands. You would want to have at least 1,000 per outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a good men's fashion blog. I really like this guys style, its cool and classy.

http://hespokestyle.com

• Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Leather jackets are nice, so long as you don't get a daddy one or one with a lot of things stuck on it.

And real ones will always look better than the fake ones.

In the end, just to clear up everything, I went with:

-Light blue shirt (technically, the colour was "cornflower", but not to sound too fashionista, "light-blue" works for me)
    -Dark blue jeans (with a brown belt to match the shoes)
    -Brown shoes
    -Black leather jacket

And no, the leather jacket wasn't a "dad" jacket or a biker jacket! :P It is one that I had splashed out a bit for and it's just so comfy and soft, yet looking stylish too. It also looks great draped around a woman's shoulders. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What is a Dad jacket?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement