Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that deserve a sequel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'd pay any amount of money for a Deus Ex sequel.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    There were 2! They were crap
    Get...Out! :mad:

Really though, I'd love a Deus Ex 4 but really don't know where they could bring the series. it's pretty much all been wrapped up unless they want to be drastic...abandon the whole biomod aspect and set it in the past or far future or something. Until then, we might just get psuedo-sequels like Deus Ex: The Fall

I'd second the call for a new Alan Wake.

One game i'd love to see is a sequel to Advent Children. It was a space opera originally planned as a trilogy and left on a cliffhanger but sales tanked because the Xbox version was so buggy. A real shame because the gameplay was great fun, the story was engaging and most of the bugs were fixed for the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

i bought them on gog ages ago thinking i'd replay some of the loved games of my childhood

jesus christ they're hard, i gave up and haven't been back since

Yeah, they weren't easy alright - but I prefer to call that "slow-paced"!
    Some of the bigger maps in Commandos 2 took me a whole day to get through, carefully watching the patterns of guard's patrols, etc.

That said, can it also be argued that some games today are too easy?
    I'd call something like Super Meat Boy or Dark Souls fairly hard games, but they've still found their audiences.
    Really though, I'd love a Deus Ex 4 but really don't know where they could bring the series. it's pretty much all been wrapped up unless they want to be drastic...abandon the whole biomod aspect and set it in the past or far future or something. Until then, we might just get psuedo-sequels like Deus Ex: The Fall

Hold your horses there - not only is there a Deus Ex 4 in the works, but there are multiple new games set in the Deus Ex universe on the way.

Deus Ex: Universe
    The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles

Concept Art

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Reekwind wrote:
    And you didn't give up after the mind-numbing slog of playing an MMO on your own?

As a warning to anyone tempted by the Old Republic on the basis of the above advice: don't waste your time. It perfectly demonstrates why you can't shoehorn a single player story into a MMO game design

No because the missions arent your standard fair. Sure you have to collect drops in some missions but its woven through the story so well it dosent feel like a slog or a chore.
    I personally don't like like mmo's but this as I said I played with all classes to the end and had an awesome time.

How long did you play it for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Robert Lawlor

Brothers in arms and prince of persia the one's from a few years back they both ended in a way were it follows through but they seem to not have been made yet whats up with that ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

How long did you play it for?
    Level 30 with one character. Gods, that was painful. I could have completed both KotOR and The Sith Lords in the time it took to do that. In hindsight I should have done so much sooner and saved myself a huge amount of grinding - doing the same missions on the same planets in order to follow a sleep inducing storyline
    No because the missions arent your standard fair. Sure you have to collect drops in some missions but its woven through the story so well it dosent feel like a slog or a chore
    It's an MMO and it feels like an MMO. As soon as the dialogue is over you're dumped back into a stupidly large world and told to follow the arrow to kill X or fetch Y or kill/fetch X of Y.

Instead of writing a story and wrapping the user experience around that, TOR simply bolts a few cut scenes onto a very generic experience that has to cater to thousands at the same time. And the amount of padding in the game was horrific. I'm not a fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Skerries wrote: »
    Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines deserved a sequel as it's parent company went out of business and left us wanting more

Loved it and Redemption. The Vampire: The Masquerade setting was an amazingly rich universe.

A sequel to either would be unreal.

Sadly it won't happen, and maybe its a good thing, as all the old games being redone now are dumbed down rubbish.

Reekwind wrote: »
    Level 30 with one character. Gods, that was painful. I could have completed both KotOR and The Sith Lords in the time it took to do that. In hindsight I should have done so much sooner and saved myself a huge amount of grinding - doing the same missions on the same planets in order to follow a sleep inducing storyline

It's an MMO and it feels like an MMO. As soon as the dialogue is over you're dumped back into a stupidly large world and told to follow the arrow to kill X or fetch Y or kill/fetch X of Y.

Instead of writing a story and wrapping the user experience around that, TOR simply bolts a few cut scenes onto a very generic experience that has to cater to thousands at the same time. And the amount of padding in the game was horrific. I'm not a fan

Thats every RPG ever made :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Thats every RPG ever made :confused:
    No. A million times no

If that is your criteria for an enjoyable singleplayer experience - taking 'kill X of Y' 'quests' to mindlessly grinding through levels as the plot goes nowhere fast - then it's not a wonder that you'd enjoy TOR. Thankfully though that's not yet the standard RPG experience outside of MMOs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd kinda have to side with Reekwind on the Old Republic too. It's an empty gigantic world that was built for hundreds of players and is a very lonely existence as well as being a real hard slog on your own. It was the first MMO I've ever played and I was loving it right up until the point where I could no longer avoid the fact that I was playing an MMO - Tatooine during the Jedi Knight storyline it was for me. A gigantic planet that was empty and this massively complicated pile of buttons and skills I was supposed to figure out how to use despite having zero MMO experience. I could have forgiven the bland "bring me 10 basilisk urethras" sorts of things because there was interesting side bits like the crafting and sending your crew off on missions, but I have no idea why they made a WoW clone and didn't make any attempts to train the player how to understand MMO concepts like tanking, drawing aggro, buff/nerf stacking etc.

I guess i got fanboy glasses on :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I loved that game on the Amiga as a kid...all 11 bloody floppy disks of it. They tried to line up one or two sequels but never went through with them. I still like to play the odd adventure on PC or iOS as a nice change of pace from other games. Not into serious strategy or deep puzzle games but adventures have always let me happily zone out for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Reminds me of how much I enjoyed The Last Crusade on the old Amstrad 6128 plus.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWC9KnLpA9s

Games have come a long way since those days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

The latest Monkey Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I loved that game on the Amiga as a kid...all 11 bloody floppy disks of it. They tried to line up one or two sequels but never went through with them. I still like to play the odd adventure on PC or iOS as a nice change of pace from other games. Not into serious strategy or deep puzzle games but adventures have always let me happily zone out for a few hours.

Classic game. I had a second floppy drive for this and Monkey Island 2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Classic game. I had a second floppy drive for this and Monkey Island 2 etc.

My disk swappers elbows wish I had done that too. Thinking back now it was pure madness:)

The Monkey Islands were excellent...still can't believe LucasArts are gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Mega Man

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

For those craving to play Dungeon Keeper sequel, check this one. These guys are keeping as close as possible to original DK2 (and I think they got "blessing" from original dev)

Games that needs sequel - Mass Effect, thankfully ME4 is already in development!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 was discontinued sadly, but there's a sequel that will be MP. Hopefully they will go sandbox survival route, not DM/TDM nonsense.

<tiny rant>
    Games that don't need sequel - BF and CoD series. They should just release SDK and see what people can come up with. A lot of times game gets more support and larger player base because of mods. But obviously they'd rather make mods/maps themselves and charge us for them to make up for it, so SDK will never happen. Back in days of modding community boom i've seen so many great mods and total conversations, they made game worth double the price for free.
    Notable (and ironic) example BF1942 - Desert Combat
    </tiny rant>

/sigh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Sniper V2 . best sniper game I've ever played. Unreal gameplay . compared to others I've played. Hopefully there'll be a v3 some day

I doubt it, it was called V2 because that was the name of the rockets you were, iirc, trying to stop the nazis from getting their hands on

:P

Player 2 wrote: »
    Hold your horses there - not only is there a Deus Ex 4 in the works, but there are multiple new games set in the Deus Ex universe on the way.

Deus Ex: Universe

Concept Art

This is great! I'd heard of DX universe but thought it was just about comics/novels and such, not that there was officially a fourth game in the works :D It'll probably a system seller for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

COYVB wrote: »
    I doubt it, it was called V2 because that was the name of the rockets you were, iirc, trying to stop the nazis from getting their hands on

:P

Think someone said a few posts ago there's a new one out 2014 not sure when . God I hope its true.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

a reboot of onimusha

Is there anything to be said for another mass Shenmue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is there anything to be said for another mass Shenmue?

Rumours abound Sony have purchased the IP from Sega as their rights ran out on it the other day and either it or Crash Bandicoot for PS4 will be announced next month - I would prefer Shenmue 3 personally...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Could i add in a HD remake of Tomb Raider 2? Like they did with Tom Raider: Anniversary. Loved that game (2)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I haven't read all of the thread but I presume someone has mentioned Eternal Darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A reboot of dreamweb but with an indie look like shadowrun returns or even hotline Miami

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Anybody ever play Beneath a Steel Sky? Very Monkey Island or Simon the Sorcerer type of game. Same sort of humour. I'd love a reboot of that sort of thing.

Had it on my Amiga 1200 (13 disks I think). It was the game that prompted me to convince my parents to invest in a HDD kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Vanquish

I would say it's possibly my favourite single player of this current/soon to end generation. . .the fact it cost £8 may add weight to that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

theteal wrote: »
    Vanquish

I would say it's possibly my favourite single player of this current/soon to end generation. . .the fact it cost £8 may add weight to that though

This, it's ridiculously good fun and it's probably a fiver most places. Think I paid a tenner for it a couple of months after it came out, slick as hell, loads of fun to play, epic gunfights, robots to control and you can casually smoke mid shootout :pac:

An oldie but much deserves a reboot/sequel, Sunset Riders, a cel shaded, vibrant version of it would be great fun if done right.

Advertisement