Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

We are all enemies now so..

A bit harsh laaaaad...we could be working along side each other some day

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Maria79

I read it in some of the posts I think inthe stage 5 threads. They said something like if they don't get called in for October intake they would have to wait until the next batch in feb/March...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

mycro89 wrote: »
    A bit harsh laaaaad...we could be working along side each other some day

We are not all going to get through laaaad....just saying....

Maria79 wrote: »
    I read it in some of the posts I think inthe stage 5 threads. They said something like if they don't get called in for October intake they would have to wait until the next batch in feb/March...

just concentrate on the next stage for the moment. dont worry bout intakes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Maria79 wrote: »

Next intake after October is in December.. Then probably March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Sorry for slightly off-topic, but would anyone here consider joining the Reserves if they don't make Stage 3?

Do it. I'm in it a long time. It will help if you get to stage 4

Do it. I'm in it a long time. It will help if you get to stage 4

But should it not have helped from the outset? I've applied, have heard nothing back, are they still taking on reserves?

get onto the i dont know the answer.

I dont know why we werent given a hand up..theres talk of help in the next campaign...thats all speculation though and cant be confirmed.

• Advertisement

It's sickening, I'm sure they know the results by now and the fact we have to wait is daunting, i'm off for a run to clear the head of it all

Keep it out of your head kid. Don't think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

I dont know why we werent given a hand up...

So it would be a fair and equal campaign... just because peoples circumstances prevented them from joining the reserves shouldn't put them at a disadvantage...

Special constables are given a hand with recruitment the met police nearly recruit all their full time officers from the specials nowadays. I put five years into it. I'm off work today and I'm going in later on this morning because I was needed in there today. We might not have full powers of Gardai and we may have a bad reputation but there should be some kind of system. To help the reserves that actually make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

So it would be a fair and equal campaign... just because peoples circumstances prevented them from joining the reserves shouldn't put them at a disadvantage...

Yeah I agree. So far this campaign has been very fair and everyone has been treated equally.

Many people have a wide variety of skills, from numerous jobs and college qualifications.

Thankfully everyone is been given a fair shot

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Special constables are given a hand with recruitment the met police nearly recruit all their full time officers from the specials nowadays. I put five years into it. I'm off work today and I'm going in later on this morning because I was needed in there today. We might not have full powers of Gardai and we may have a bad reputation but there should be some kind of system. To help the reserves that actually make an effort.

Agreed. I'm also a Reserve. I work 39 works hours a week in my own job, I still manage to get down to my station every second week. Its given me an insight to the job itself and first hand experience, it's shown me that's it's definetly the job for me and the career I want.

There will always be some people who join the guards and then once they get attested and are sent to their station, will quickly resign as they didn't know what the job itself would be like. (Big difference between role plays in Templemore and being out on the beat dealing with difficult members of the public) That's why I do recommend the Reserves for anyone who has a serious interest in joining AGS and experiencing the job first hand.

And I'm not saying that it should be any easier for reserves to get in but have some kind of system where reserves are recommended for full time service by top brass and they can skip the first stage two stages and go to stage 3. Now this would only be a small amount of reserves could be selected for this based on performance. A kind of internal campaign run by the Gards of something like that...

Well to 'get a hand up' and to have a natural progression from the reserves to AGS are two different things.

I think an open competition should be fair and equal to all, but I would agree that a separate process for reserves to enter AGS on merit from their performance as a Reserve would be completely fair and well deserved for most if not all Reserves.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0910/726939-gardai/

Will these come from Band 2 and 3? or is there a surplice still from Band 1?

mycro89 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0910/726939-gardai/

Will these come from Band 2 and 3? or is there a surplice still from Band 1?

There are at least 400 from Band 1 looking to get into the next few intakes, next one is October there are rumours of December/January and then I would guess there would be a March intake....

• Advertisement

When u starting dublingurl?

As soon as possible hopefully, vetting still hasn't come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I dont know why we werent given a hand up..theres talk of help in the next campaign...thats all speculation though and cant be confirmed.

The first two stages are aptitudes, level playing field for all.

Being a Reserve will help you in Stage 3 for the report writing and job simulation.

It will also be a huge help for the interview at Stage 4 because you will/should have examples demonstrating all of the competencies.

You may not have gotten a helping hand, but if you can get through the aptitudes you should get through the following stages easily enough.

Where you in it Ollieo did you get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

It was stated before by AGS that reserves get no special treatment from any other applicant.
    This is all based off aptitude so far.
    Personally I know reserves who would never make good gards. Anybody without a criminal record could be a reserve. Not everyone can or at least should be a gard.
    In England they have a police force, here we have a police service. There is a difference so it's not completely fair to compare the two systems. But reserves shouldn't be too put out and think it's unfair, ye still have a big advantage over the rest of us from direct experience and contacts.

I hope once all is done we will have a service filled with dedicated, professional and respectful gards chosen by these merits instead of using nepotism and right of passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Without any doubt at all there should be a separate internal stream for the reserves and currently there are negotiations between AGS and PAS of how this may take place most probably in the next recruitment drive. Reserves who carry out their duties and gain valuable on the job experience without any pay should be part of an internal stream and it has been an unbelievable failing of the system that this internal stream was not up and running for the current campaign

Of course there are some reserves that may not be suitable for the full time positions but by the same token that also applies to those (reserves and non reserves) that pass all the aptitude tests in the world and end up being not suited to the job when they hit the street. Aptitude tests are first and foremost an excellent method of simply reducing applicant numbers to more manageable levels as seen in this campaign, In addition the results one achieves in aptitude test are not written in stone and can be improved by practice. In addition some people are naturally more suited to aptitude method of testing but not necessarily be suited to the job. As a result the method of aptitude testing in its current form will not 100% of the time only pick those that are suited to the job and will invariably select some people that are not suited. Consequently there will be applicants that get through the tests etc but not make good gardai. By the same token the aptitude tests have eliminated some people that would have made excellent gardai but are not as suited to aptitude tests.

At the end of the day this is the system in place at the moment and people can only work within its parameters

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Copaholic wrote: »
    Without any doubt at all there should be a separate internal stream for the reserves and currently there are negotiations between AGS and PAS of how this may take place most probably in the next recruitment drive. Reserves who carry out their duties and gain valuable on the job experience without any pay should be part of an internal stream and it has been an unbelievable failing of the system that this internal stream was not up and running for the current campaign

Of course there are some reserves that may not be suitable for the full time positions but by the same token that also applies to those (reserves and non reserves) that pass all the aptitude tests in the world and end up being not suited to the job when they hit the street. Aptitude tests are first and foremost an excellent method of simply reducing applicant numbers to more manageable levels as seen in this campaign, In addition the results one achieves in aptitude test are not written in stone and can be improved by practice. In addition some people are naturally more suited to aptitude method of testing but not necessarily be suited to the job. As a result the method of aptitude testing in its current form will not 100% of the time only pick those that are suited to the job and will invariably select some people that are not suited. Consequently there will be applicants that get through the tests etc but not make good gardai. By the same token the aptitude tests have eliminated some people that would have made excellent gardai but are not as suited to aptitude tests.

At the end of the day this is the system in place at the moment and people can only work within its parameters

Very well said.
    You can only hope that potential will be fairly recognised during the process and judgment will be based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

Copaholic wrote: »

Let's not turn this thread into another reserves vs the rest debate.

It's been done a thousands times before

Anyhows do you think that the 500 gards announced yesterday will be taken from out stage or will it be a fresh campaign.
    http://www.joe.ie/news/get-the-cvs-ready-lads-the-gardai-will-be-recruiting-hundreds-of-people-next-year/511559

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Where you in it Ollieo did you get through?

Had my meeting with Super today, waiting on PCT now.

Advertisement