Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia v South Africa Test series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The one time Morkel actually bowls an aggressive spell and he still didn't dismiss him. Yeah, it's always said that Morkel gets wickets at the other end but Johnson gets his own whilst intimidating and pushing batsmen back for Harris and Siddle to sweep up. Johnson did exactly what Morkel didn't do to get AB out.

Harris to get his knees looked after now, hopefully make a full recovery and plays in the next Ashes. It's India at home next isn't it or have they Pakistan away first? Crininfo calender thing doesn't even show the India series for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

south africa
    You'd have to think that Abbot will fall fairly soon in the morning and next wicket after that will probably decide it. Hard to see them holding out against that bowling attack, lots of variety in it. Surely all the Aussie bowlers have to do is concentrate on getting the SA batsmen to play the ball and sooner or later they're going to edge them..

Does anyone know what the weather did Day 5 of the PE test? I know it was a special spell of bowling but to lose 9 wickets in a session was poor. Would the weather have saved them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

south africa
    Gillespy wrote: »
    The one time Morkel actually bowls an aggressive spell and he still didn't dismiss him. Yeah, it's always said that Morkel gets wickets at the other end but Johnson gets his own whilst intimidating and pushing batsmen back for Harris and Siddle to sweep up. Johnson did exactly what Morkel didn't do to get AB out.

Harris to get his knees looked after now, hopefully make a full recovery and plays in the next Ashes. It's India at home next isn't it or have they Pakistan away first? Crininfo calender thing doesn't even show the India series for some reason.

Pretty sure it is Pakistan first, India will be the Xmas touring side I assume.

Australia will be happy with Pakistan even in the UAE, they are very reliant on Younis, Misbah and Ajmal who seems to be faltering a little. The rest can be hit and miss especially the likes of Shafiq, hafeez, Manzoor, shezhad and which ever wicket keeper they go with.

The concern for Pakistan is they can't prepare dustbowls like India did for Australia because apart from the old lads the rest are poor against spin and of course if it seams, Australia have better quicks than Pakistan by a longshot and I say that as someone who rates Junaid quite highly.

It supposedly is a 3 test tour but of course it will probably be shortened to squeeze in more ODIS. :(

Australia will probably have to get another spinner in, maybe Beer although I could see Smith having great fun with all of them bar Misbah who will slog him silly as he does all part time spinners.

India will be a cakewalk, they just don't have the pacers or spinners to take 20 wickets outside the sub continent and I have deep concerns over all bar Kohli, Rahene and Pujara outside the SC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

New ball cant come quick enough here, SA may hang on if it doesnt do something you know

Edit: I know its the safe play and all that, but this policy of just blocking the **** out of everything (rr @ about 1 an over right now!) is so boring I may have to start drinking early

• Advertisement

south africa
    I wonder would pace at one end and spin at the other make it more awkward for the SAs? Either way, no point in bowling too many wide of the stumps and/or trying to tempt injudicious shots. Got to commit the batsman to play the ball or at least put them in two minds :)

Think the tactic of spin at both ends was to help get through the overs to the new ball quicker as much as anything else I guess, and the obvious problems spin can pose too

HD Ackerman won't shut up about Australia bouncing the ball in. Wants overs taken away as punishment. His bias is too much at times.

Good back to the walls stuff this morning. New ball needs to open an end at least, if these two see it off they can really start to believe.

AB is gone, huge wicket! Now a certain boardsies favourite player JP Duminy is out to save the match for SA :)

south africa
    Definite swing now to the Aussies - and there's going to be real snorters coming in every now & again. Hard to see SA holding out - don't deserve to get a draw anyway on basis of this match. But sport isn't always fair!!

• Advertisement

I dunno, the more they bowl balls that can be left alone the tireder they will also get and the tougher it will get as doubts begin to creep in, the batsmen become galvanised with each passing over too.

Watson needs to be brought in to the attack tbh, he has a good record here and for him to have only bowled 3 overs is criminal when he is a wicket taker

south africa
    kryogen wrote: »
    AB is gone, huge wicket! Now a certain boardsies favourite player JP Duminy is out to save the match for SA :)

JP will bat blind folded, to make it somewhat of a challenge for him!

Vern will be a nuisance as he can also hang about, but Steyn in current injury situation and Morkel is someone who shouldn't be a concern if they bowl well.

Ask and you shall receive, cricinfo tells me Watson is in to the attack :)

Will be home in the next few minutes to so should get to see a bit before tea

south africa

Also I have hid my biggest bet of the year on Australia to win the series 11/4 before it started, not covered myself, I shall be crying myself to sleep if they don't knock them over especially if JP does not **** off soon:mad::mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    JP will bat blind folded, to make it somewhat of a challenge for him!

Vern will be a nuisance as he can also hang about, but Steyn in current injury situation and Morkel is someone who shouldn't be a concern if they bowl well.

I think they needed to get a couple of wickets when the ball was really new, I am not so confident of a win anymore, you have 3 guys who can really hang about now, then a walking wicket and Morkel to get through, if there was only 2 guys who can hang around even I would feel more confident

south africa
    I think they needed to get a couple of wickets when the ball was really new, I am not so confident of a win anymore, you have 3 guys who can really hang about now, then a walking wicket and Morkel to get through, if there was only 2 guys who can hang around even I would feel more confident

The other concern is if Steyn is better, he can be an absolute pain in the arse when he goes into block mode, he hung about for a good bit at Adelaide as well. :(

south africa
    In much more important news I do admire the South Africa's TV coverage of all the stunners in the crowd, they never miss a chance. Appreciated massively. :)

They do that well, the grass banks help. SA seems to be full of beautiful women and men that are pro bodybuilders. I wish they put away the gunshot sound-effects though.

Lyon on now.

south africa
    Has anyone ever told Mark Nicholas he is not Australian?:confused:

I would have assumed that been born in England playing for England would have been a massive clue but his insane cheer leading of them really annoys.

south africa
    Faf gone that is massive, Smith can bowl some proper filth but he does get big wickets and has dismissed some very good players.

If they break this partnership quickly, its going to be near impossible for Steyn and Morkel to keep Australia out.

• Advertisement

south africa
    Inexorable progress...

edit to add: to the wire!!

Thank god there's ODI cricket on the other side. This is awful dire stuff.

Smith showed why he started his career as a leg spinner. Warne should be encouraging him to keep at it. Lyon has been disappointing today.
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever told Mark Nicholas he is not Australian?:confused:

I would have assumed that been born in England playing for England would have been a massive clue but his insane cheer leading of them really annoys.
    I guess he's there representing Australia. I don't mind him here, he is a weak link in Channel 9 though. Pollock, Wessels and Holding are head and shoulders above the rest. The rest are hit and miss but HD is the worst.

south africa

ODI!! This is the real thing - a game of cat & mouse :)

south africa

Smith showed why he started his career as a leg spinner. Warne should be encouraging him to keep at it. Lyon has been disappointing today.

I guess he's there representing Australia. I don't mind him here, he is a weak link in Channel 9 though. Pollock, Wessels and Holding are head and shoulders above the rest. The rest are hit and miss but HD is the worst.

No Nicholas is awful, I don't mind the Aussie commentators bar Warne and him.

New Zealand are normally the best as they are real good fun on commentary, Saffers are very dull for most part.

Not a great day from Lyon but I hope they don't do something silly like dropping him for the UAE for the latest flavour of the month.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say this one is gonna be a draw

south africa
    Yay!

JP gone, stunned he could not get the job done!

Interesting to see how Dale is, a slogging inning does no harm, Vern so key now.

south africa
    You'd wonder at the bowling now, Philander only played 2 balls in last over, one beat him but others he could leave.

Ah, nothing like the yorker to do the job for the endgame.

Test cricket, bloody hell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So close:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

south africa
    Australia get it right in the end......after bowling crap all day they finally get the the ball full and straight at nos: 10 and jack

Deserved series win for Australia....to beat the best side away is no mean feat

TBH SA have been awful all series except for a couple of sessions in the second test

Advertisement