Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia v South Africa Test series

Options
  • 11-02-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭

So really looking forward to this series. So many questions to be asked.

Are Australia that good as their demolition of England suggested or were they flattered by a team who showed no fight. Can Doolan fill the number three void and can Mitch keep bowling like The Ashes?

Will South Africa be able to replace Kallis and will JP Duminy actually score runs when it counts?:pac:

Anyways lets compare likely teams

Openers

Smith/Alviro v Warner/Rogers

Smith has been trolling his haters for years with big knocks when it matters and Alviro is a steady hand. Warner is a wildcard but the conditions should not be to alien and he should fire a few times. Rogers is a solid old pro as well.

I'd give South Africa a slight edge here, but its very slight.

Number 3

Amla v Doolan/hughes/Marsh

Amla at even 80% is better than Doolan, but he did have a leaner than usual series against India. Doolan deserves a chance for Aus, scored runs at a tough ground in Aus and is a genuine top order player.

Clarke/Smith v AB/Du Plessis

Literally nothing between them, Clarke and AB are the class acts but Smith and Du Plessis have played some crucial innings recently.

Duminy/ Mc Claren or Parnell v haddin/ Marsh or henriques

haddin was clutch during the Ashes while JP has refused point blank to score runs when his team is under the cosh. Time to stop living of beating up minnows and your debut century against Australia.

The all rounders? henriques has scored more runs than people think in the shield while I never rated Parnell as a longer format player really. Not so sure about Mc Claren either.

I'd give Australia the edge here, but if South Africa could work out haddin it will give them a massive mental edge.

bowling?

To close to call!

Anyways I have money on Aus at 11/4 so I will be cheering on Australia, who will win this series?

who will win the test series? 10 votes

Australia
    0%
    south africa
    100%
    InquitusHonalDRjd2booth70GodgeNelson MuntzBarryDMoist BreadHighcontrast1MacBoogerBalls 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

I think South Africa will have too much for them but dont really cares who wins, just really looking forward to seeing some good close matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

south africa
    Is the series on TV or internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

south africa
    It will be on sky sports 2 tomorrow morning.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/cricket-on-sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sadly I think SA will have too much on home soil, but I will be cheering the lads on all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Most anticipated series in a long time. It's too close to call. SA weren't too convincing against India. I want to see Amla back to his best against this Australian attack. Like you say, two well matched sides, Lyon being a superior spinner though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If Amla finds his form, I can see trouble for Australia, but I don't think he reached double figures against India..

Amla/Du Plessis at 3/4 is a great prospect if they get in...

south africa
    Can't wait to see flat track bully Duminy here, probably won't even bother batting!!!:pac:

Anyways Mitch on fire. 23/3, its as if The Ashes never ended:P

south africa
    Just the man for a crisis, JP Duminy:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Time for him to actually justify his place and do something.

south africa
    JP you absolute mug! :pac:

The difference between he and Smith is startling and massive for the series, Smith is clutch and scores heavily when their is a potential crisis, flat track bully JP not so much:pac:

Superb stuff from Mitch today, proving he is the best bowler in the world.

South Africa will need a lot of luck and rain to escape undefeated here.

Big day for the Aussies, didnt get to watch any play yet but from figures big day for Johnson again

• Advertisement

south africa
    Big day for the Aussies, didnt get to watch any play yet but from figures big day for Johnson again

He was great. Not only he is bowling superbly he seems to have a hold and fear factor over batsman, Alviro for example seemed terrified of him.

About time he fulfilled his potential tbh, but I am delighted with how he is going, more of the same would be super. Gaining any sort of psychological edge over a strong SA team would be huge!

south africa
    This lads is a hammering, unless it rains for more than day then won't get anywhere near this target which could be monstrous.

Interesting to see where does Watson play if he returns.

And South Africa, not joking here but they really miss Paul harris, not exactly Murali but was oh so tight. Robbie P really is not that good, should play Tahir for the LOL factor next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

south africa
    12 months ago Australia were an absolute shambles in India getting hammered 4-0.....their players were being suspended for not doing their home work.....Haddin's career was supposedly over....Clarke and Watson were not getting on with each other.....Johnson wasn't even in the team......

What a difference a year makes?:)

south africa
    A paddling here.

Smith doesn't look like he will have any fun with Mitch this series, while Alviro may be a walking wicket.

Going to be insanely dependent on ABDV.

they need to get another batsman in I reckon, maybe drop Robbie P as he is a liability. Let "all rounder" Duminy bowl a few overs of spin/filth a day.

Oh and Steyn needs to come back hard next test, Morkel should be as dangerous as anyone in test cricket, when you see his size,pace etc but he really isn't.

south africa
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    A paddling here.

Smith doesn't look like he will have any fun with Mitch this series, while Alviro may be a walking wicket.

Going to be insanely dependent on ABDV.

they need to get another batsman in I reckon, maybe drop Robbie P as he is a liability. Let "all rounder" Duminy bowl a few overs of spin/filth a day.

Oh and Steyn needs to come back hard next test, Morkel should be as dangerous as anyone in test cricket, when you see his size,pace etc but he really isn't.

May as well get him to bowl more,not as he will justify his place in the team with the bat.:pac:

Beast of a ball from Mitch to hurt Mc Claren, may as well go off, game done, wont do him any long term benefit to stay out their.

Also gun fielding from Doolan, cant be dropped for Watson can he?

south africa
    Is SA's batting cupboard that threadbare at their domestic level.....Surely there must be better players than Duminy playing in SA:confused:

south africa
    This is embarassing for the World's No 1 team.....a pasting

Johnson's bowling spells in the last few months right up there with some of the spells of bowling from the West Indian quartet in the 80's and the toe crushing spells of Wasim and Waqar in the 90's.....

He is best bowler in the world by a country mile.....Dale Steyn take a bow

south africa
    booth70 wrote: »
    Is SA's batting cupboard that threadbare at their domestic level.....Surely there must be better players than Duminy playing in SA:confused:

Err, he is an all rounder:pac:

It is actually a little bare sadly. Next in line is Dean Elgar who is the reserve batsman who bagged a pair in his debut against Mitch. That was bad old Mitch as well!!:pac:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/Ireland/content/player/267479.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/content/player/318845.html

A couple of players who have got some runs in 4 day cricket in South Africa and are young.

De kock is another option but despite awesome first class stats he may need some more time in 4 day cricket. Although looking at how fearless he is, he could be an option at number six.

Miller has got loads of runs in four day cricket in South Africa this year, but was poor in the format up until now, may want to give him some more time as well to develop his game.

Continuation of the Ashes, the similarities are unreal. Between being 4 down for nothing to rebuilding to a big total with Warner doing it in the 2nd innings to declaring with a ~500 run lead, three hundreds already to zero for SA and Johnson putting the fear of god into them.

Doolan and Marsh did well, Watson will have to wait for another turn surely. Warner even did some of his medium pace bowling. SA are a game away from being in a mess as big as England. No spinner, McLaren and Duminy? Smith himself?

Why isn't it a five match test series? Who actually wants this T20 world cup? I couldn't believe the poor turnout at this game though so I guess some people do prefer it.

Annoying how the commentators did nothing with the score on 222-2, Bumble would have been all over that, even Nasser. Haysman did say today that 69 for 3 wasn't comfortable, one track mind tbh.

• Advertisement

south africa
    Saffers are a bit hit and miss with test turn outs, although I did think the turnout was decent today.

South Africa a re a little similar to England, both top sides, but both slightly on the slide. At the moment they are question marks over all of them bar Ab who batted like a gun. And like the Ashes, Australia smell blood. It could get very messy.

Of course South Africa can turn it around, but it is a massive test and if they do it will be one of the great fightbacks.

Fantastic bowling today from Johnson, really top quality. Couple of great catches too

Mitch just keeps on impressing me, he has come so far in 12 months. Really becoming the bowler he looked like he was going to be so long ago now

south africa
    BglJjMRIYAA5Uqy.jpg:large

64-2 at lunch. Poor start losing Smith and Amla early but solid if slow from Elgar and Faf since. Australia unchanged while three changes for SA.

south africa
    Gillespy wrote: »
    64-2 at lunch. Poor start losing Smith and Amla early but solid if slow from Elgar and Faf since. Australia unchanged while three changes for SA.

Think Aus have shaded it mainly because Amla is out. Not convinced that this is a surface that will suit South Africa's bowlers, especially as am not sure what is wrong with Vern as he nearly did not play and of course Parnell is a complete punt.

De Kock should be keeping wicket as well, need to be careful with De Villiers workload as he is so important to all 3 teams.

De Kock will surely keep, I didn't catch all the first session so I don't know if it was discussed in commentary or not. It hasn't affected his batting though.

You're right, the pitch is slow, two or three edges dropped very short with the new ball. Trying to negate Mitch but he still got a beauty to dismiss Amla. Lyon on very early and SA without a proper spinner.

south africa
    Some shocking dismissals in this session, Elgar and especially De Kock really gave it away.

Its the big man at the crease JP fecking Duminy:pac:

I have a feeling you don't particularly rate Duminy?:pac:

Duminy is their front line spinner now, his runs are bonus runs.

• Advertisement

south africa
    Gillespy wrote: »
    I have a feeling you don't particularly rate Duminy?:pac:

Duminy is their front line spinner now, his runs are bonus runs.

If I got started, here all day.

Although this sort of slow surface should suit his batting,he is actually ok against spin, it will help that AB is their so he can hold his hand.

Just an awful shot from De Kock really, not needed especially with new ball imminent.

Lyon has been superb today though, AB has been choked by him.

I think Saffers will need close to 400 here, looks like a pitch that without a frontline spinner you will struggle.

Advertisement