Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia v South Africa Test series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some going from Warner this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

south africa
    Warner may be the most obnoxious man in sport right now, but thier is no better opener in test cricket atm, I'd even argue he is their most important batsman as wel:eek:

Magnificent innings from Michael Clarke today. Aussies well in control after day 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Warner maturing into a fine opening batsman, Clarke is playing a wonderful innings also to silence some doubters yet again and Smithy is chipping in as he so often does, Australia firmly on top going into day 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

south africa
    Clarke is in a strong position, isn't he? If they get off to a steady start in the morning, the worlds his oyster - could easily run up 500+ runs. He'd want to be wearing out the SAs in the field for a good bit of the day and then stick them in to try and get an early wicket or two. But not give them too much time to settle. A bit of balance but I guess first they'll have to see how the first half hour goes. But then he's not quite a conservative captain either, what do you think?

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Clarke is in a strong position, isn't he? If they get off to a steady start in the morning, the worlds his oyster - could easily run up 500+ runs. He'd want to be wearing out the SAs in the field for a good bit of the day and then stick them in to try and get an early wicket or two. But not give them too much time to settle. A bit of balance but I guess first they'll have to see how the first half hour goes. But then he's not quite a conservative captain either, what do you think?

I think unless a figure of 650 is reached you probably wont see a declaration until very close to close tbh, he will be happy enough to bat out the day, or most of it if possible, I expect them to get close to 500 but would be surprised if there wasnt a big fightback from SA tomorrow.

All things going to plan I guess Clarke would like to have a lead of 550+ and put SA in with about 40 minutes of play to go tomorrow, which is possible but a long way off. Great position to be in though.

The morning session is crucial, if they see off the opening blows from the bowlers and get just occupy the crease even I think this Test will be Australias to lose. If SA can get a couple of early wickets (what I see happening) it will be game on and this could be an epic Test match

Edit: Forgot to say, a lot of it also depends on how Steyn is actually!

Clarke has faced 18 balls so far on 99

Gets there after 25 balls in the end. Outstanding knock

south africa
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Gets there after 25 balls in the end. Outstanding knock

Fair dues to him, the mind games and mental toughness. Jaysus, he's opened up now - somehow I think a change of bowler will be in order!

They have done exactly what was needed, just occupy the crease at the start, then Smith sort of drove it on a bit and just losing one wicket before lunch and no miracle recovery by Steyn means this is Australias to lose now. They should target another 100+ runs for the next session and see where they are after that, if they get close to 550-575 by tea then go hell for leather after it, try get it up to 650 and get them in to have a bash at them for 30-40 minutes after two long days in the field and maybe with a walking wicket (more then usual) in steyn

• Advertisement

south africa
    Pity about the rain, I guess if it's fine tomorrow morning, we'll have a quick run blast and either declare or all out. Clarke himself will have to throw caution to the winds a bit if he wants his double century :)

The weather really spoiled that!

south africa
    Hmm, Clarke declared and three quick wickets among a flurry of runs from SA. Johnson back to doing what he does best :) Not a dull moment with this game anyway!

Australia in a commanding spot here, Clarke doesnt like to enforce the follow on does he?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Crucial few runs from Steyn, 190/6 to 287 all out makes it closer...SA should be looking to bat out the last 4 sessions..

south africa
    kryogen wrote: »
    Australia in a commanding spot here, Clarke doesnt like to enforce the follow on does he?!

Makes sense here, gives Steyn less time to recover and harris more time to recover!

Chasing here could be tricky and a session or so of Warner will give them ore than enough runs to play with.

South Africa have been outclassed every day, fully expect Australia to knock them over with plenty of time to spare.

south africa
    It seems that Clarke trusts his bowling attack more so than his batting? He backed his bowlers by declaring overnight after 2 days and they did the business yesterday, could have enforced follow on and maybe taken a quick wicket last night. But that would likely have meant batting last, maybe to get a couple of hundred to win on last day and that would mean pressure on the batting!! I suppose this way he's more in control of the declaration & outcome and can use the bowling attack to either win the game or force a draw. Mind you, Warner seems determined to show otherwise, he's fairly knocking them about!!

His first declaration was forced a bit due to the time lost with the weather, he took the risk and when you have the likes of Harris and Mitch in your line up you would find most people would do the same I guess!

I would trust the Aussie bowlers ahead of the batsmen right now all the same, the issue with a declaration at the moment is how long is left in the match really, he cant go too aggressive just in case, there is no need. There should be no problem with knocking them over anyway, they will have time. If Doolan gets his ass in gear, or gets out we might see an earlier declaration because the run rate would go up significantly.

south africa
    Yes, it's an interesting situation. Aussies might have reason to fear the SA batsmen, if they get their eye in. So Clarke can't be too presumptive - you'd imagine he'll err on the side of a draw, but giving a chance of an Aussie win if the bowling goes well. After all, be a bit of a disaster for Aus is they lose, having dominated so much in first few days!

Warners rate of scoring dropping....

Wouldnt worry about Warners rate dropping, it often happens as you come close to a century,(its still above 82 btw!) I think Clarke will go for the win, willing to risk the loss for it, its his nature, but no need to be totally reckless about it. He would have to think that 4 or the best part of 5 sessions will be enough to give them the chance to knock them over

• Advertisement

south africa
    kryogen wrote: »
    Wouldnt worry about Warners rate dropping, it often happens as you come close to a century

Think he only scored about 15 runs since last wicket in over 20 overs! That's some slowdown from what he was at before :)

17 and how many balls did he face though? :) and it is Test cricket not a ODI or T20!

EG, the last 5 overs before lunch he faced 11 balls

Now the run rate will either increase a lot very soon or one or both of these lads will be out very soon :) Great to see Warner hit another Test century, and against the top Test side in world cricket, fully expect him to loosen up again now and start swinging

Watson has come out with some attitude!

south africa
    Sure seems a change in plans again! Warner was 75 off 57 balls and then just put on 17 for the next 50 or so. Of course, it's not a limited over match but it was just a weird change in his approach, which basically required putting up runs quickly so a sensible declaration can be made. Glad to see him get another century - good opening batsman. Doesn't seem to take too many risks but keeps the scoreboard ticking.

Edit to add: declaration within next 10 overs?

I would also put it down to tactics, taking time off rather then taking risks, Doolan and his slow play early was a pain in the hole too, with Watson at the crease and from what I can tell, new instructions that consist of, get as many as you can quick! Warner can play his risky shots and not have to worry about getting bogged down knowing his partner will also be putting pressure on the bowlers

south africa
    Disastrous start for SA, 12/2..... if they get out of this one, it'll be a miracle. What's the weather forecast, I wonder?

south africa
    BarryD wrote: »
    Disastrous start for SA, 12/2..... if they get out of this one, it'll be a miracle. What's the weather forecast, I wonder?

Its lovely, they are goosed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Faf in next. I don't think so this time. Something like 40 overs to the new ball but they're reverse swinging this on now especially Pattinson. Lyon will have a say too.

Dale Steyn's fitness this series has been a major factor. Wasn't really fit at Centurion and broke down here at Newlands. He won the match at PE. Smith must thinking back to day 1 at Centurion, winning the toss and putting Australia in with doubts over Dale.

Last time I was on I was defending Michael Clarke. That was special, it deserves to decide this series.

• Advertisement

south africa
    Gillespy wrote: »
    Faf in next. I don't think so this time. Something like 40 overs to the new ball but they're reverse swinging this on now especially Pattinson. Lyon will have a say too.

Dale Steyn's fitness this series has been a major factor. Wasn't really fit at Centurion and broke down here at Newlands. He won the match at PE. Smith must thinking back to day 1 at Centurion, winning the toss and putting Australia in with doubts over Dale.

Last time I was on I was defending Michael Clarke. That was special, it deserves to decide this series.

I'd have been worried for Australia before the Amla wicket, but its to much to expect AB and Faf to block this out especially against this attack which is much stronger than Adelaide and of course is fully fit.

Australia have deserved the series, all have contributed at various stages, Warner and Mitch have been the difference however, both outstanding, and unplayable for the most part.

South Africas batting has been poor but their bowling in this and the first test has hurt, Morkel always seems to be unlucky and bowls great spells but it does not translate on the scoreboard.

People were praising his hostility against Clarke but Clarke well and truly won the battle and that seems to be the story of his career. Australia also seem to be reasonably comfortable against Vern also and Steyn of course has had his injury issues. Abbot and Mc Claren have looked ok but not exactly unplayable.

Advertisement