Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia v South Africa Test series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

south africa
    Also I must say I love watching Smith bowl, its fascinating to watch, some complete an utter filth, full tosses galore but sometimes sneaks in a ripper.

Got rid of Bell a few times as well so a handy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

south africa
    What's wrong with Amla nowadays?......I always had him down as the most consistent batsman in the side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He got one of the two balls that swung today. He did okay after being hit hard at Centurion but he struggling big time. Best batsman in world for a few years, great to watch too.

New ball first thing in the morning. AB will be the key wicket. Australia on top after day one.

south africa
    Amla struggled a little against India as well, could be a lean patch that everyone goes through, he will come good but it may not be this series.

More concerned about Smith tbh, serious amount of injuries and his form has been patchy recently.

New ball is crucial of course, South Africa survive, a 400 score is on, which gives their bowlers something, Mitch ripping through all they may struggle to get much more than 300 which is nowhere enough on this pitch.

Should be a fun morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Good recovery by SA (helped by the tank Duminy :)) AB firing is so important to them

• Advertisement

south africa
    Will probably rip Australia apart with his spin.
    Just to good, not fair that Australia are only allowed to field 11 players when he is in the opposite team. :mad:

Road of a pitch.

You don't keep calling him a flat track bully for nothing.

south africa
    Gillespy wrote: »
    You don't keep calling him a flat track bully for nothing.

Its lifeless, I know you got to negate Mitch but South Africa are the number one side in the world supposedly and are one down in a three test series, I would be seething if I were them to have such a lifeless pitch.

Australia if they bat sensibly can score big here as well.

Without a spinner, unless it swings they're in big trouble.

south africa
    Without a spinner, unless it swings they're in big trouble.

JP+Duminy+New+Zealand+v+South+Africa+3rd+Test+Q0kbbYSeLU9l.jpg

• Advertisement

south africa
    Elgar also bowls spin, but it is pretty harmless I think.

Smith used to but like Clarke once in a blue moon type gig.

I appreciate Robin is dirge, but is Parnell such a better option than him?

Nathan Lyon will never be dismissed ever again.

south africa
    South Africa on top but those drops of Warner could be crucial, he bats for a session or more tomorrow, Australia back in it.

Great match though, all 3 results possible.

south africa
    Amla in full flow is a delight to watch

SA 344 ahead and should win this comfortably from here

Monday's forecast or being down a bowler probably won't save Australia here. 1-1 with one to play sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Enjoyable cricket so far this series. Shame it's not a five test series but scheduling for world cup has obviously knocked that idea on head.

south africa
    Monday's forecast or being down a bowler probably won't save Australia here. 1-1 with one to play sounds good.

Is Parnell doomed not to bowl again this match? Its a big loss because it leaves a lot of pressure on the 3 seamers.
    What might save Australia, if Smith gets to negative with the target, for example wanting to bat to get a 500+ lead especially if rain happens

Groin strain, scan showed no tear but they said he won't bowl again this test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bit of rain would be nice alright :)

Been two very enjoyable Tests so far, 1-1 would be great heading into a decider

south africa
    55/0......Impressive stuff from the Aussie openers......rollicking along at 5 an over chasing 448

SA are a bowler light but it's about time Steyn steps up and proves his worth......he has been anonymous in this series so far

• Advertisement

south africa
    Marsh bags a pair.......153/3

Doolan was over the place too. Australia back to praying for rain. Spinners on again will ease it somewhat, Clarke needs a captain's innings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

The Clarke myth is being shattered in recent months. Nowhere near as good as he's made out to be. Not in the same league as Kohli, De Villers and amla and miles behind Ponting at his best

His record suggests otherwise and he started the Ashes well and has been tailing off since. Kohli doesn't belong on that list yet.

Steyn in full flow now could win it tonight. I love his celebration and how pumped it gets. Apparently that's him stabbing someone.:rolleyes:

south africa
    The Clarke myth is being shattered in recent months. Nowhere near as good as he's made out to be. Not in the same league as Kohli, De Villers and amla and miles behind Ponting at his best

AB is better at the moment and I rate Amla higher than him but lets not forget Amla was struggling until the second innings. He also was in a lull.I will give Clarke the 3rd test before I get worried, he does have a beastly record in South Africa lets not forget.

Kohli as a test player could go past Clarke but at the moment? Nope way to early. Next year if Kohli scores runs in England and Australia than we discuss this again.

south africa
    And on today?

That is Marsh in a nutshell, superb last test nothing this test.

Very poor from Doolan as well, really rated his innings last week but he really slowed down the momentum today.

Watson will be back next test its safe to say.

south africa
    Why did I ever doubt the ability of Steyn?!!!.....Take a bow.....that was one awesome spell of swing bowling

SA proving to everyone they did not reach no 1 in the world by accident....they still have to win in Cape Town though as they started favourites to win the series

Kohli is good but not in the same league as Amla and AB yet....he's made runs away in Australia, SA and NZ but still not very consistent yet....England this summer will be the making of him I reckon

As for Clarke he sores big when he does then has a spell of about 10 tests doing nothing.....Australia need him to score in Cape Town

south africa
    Rather amusing its possible this could still end a draw as forecast tomorrow is dismal. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mother Nature has no control over Steyn:cool:

• Advertisement

Nine wickets in a session was poor from Australia. Warner and Rogers made it look so easy and had SA a bit demorilised. Watson in place of Doolan could have kept the pressure on but the ball started to swing about the same time. Credit to the bowlers, that was a special effort.

Newlands next Saturday, can't wait.

Advertisement