Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolve - 4v1 from the makers of L4D (multi format)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Here are the updates -
    Changelog V2.0
    Tier 4 Hunters
    Torvald
    Sunny
    Slim
    Crow

Behemoth
    2 New Maps for XB1... April 30th for PC & PS4
    Updated Post-Round Replay Controls
    Observer Tool
    Audio Improvements to Dropship Conversations...there should be more of them playing now
    Further Improvements to saving progression
    PC Specific:
    Added protections against known cheats
    Made improvements to alleviate of DCGI_DEVICE_ERROR_HUNG

Other Bug Fixes
    Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred if a player disconnected after using Plasma Blast
    Fixed the tracking dart sound playing for monster when Abe darts wildlife
    Fixed situations where AI sometimes fell through the world after using Teleport Gates
    Fix rare crash when AIs would grapple the player
    Fix rare crash when late-joining a game while another player was using personal shield or cloak
    Fix rare server crash when a player disconnects while teleporting or gliding.
    Fixed issue with playable Ebonstar Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anyone still playing this? Has it died a death?

I still play it the odd weekend but there isn't many playing. They've made a lot of updates which have improved the game but when there are so little on, it leads to a lot of waiting.

Pity as I do really like it. I imagine it'll be highly discounted or a free PS+/Games with Gold game early next year.

I can get one sealed and new for €23...... tempted.... but if no-one is playing.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Game is dead.

Steam Stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/273350#7d

I'd imagine PS4 is similar if not worse.

Was a nice idea for a game but handled so so badly. Pity.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Was a nice idea for a game but handled so so badly. Pity.

Agreed. I was pretty much gonna day 1 this until I saw the DLC segmenting and breakdown which hit a personal sore spot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Cormac... wrote: »
    Agreed. I was pretty much gonna day 1 this until I saw the DLC segmenting and breakdown which hit a personal sore spot

I picked it up a few weeks ago and TBH its enjoyable but I havent played too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Edwardririth

It looks so excellent!! I really like FPS games. Hope to play it as soon as possible.

It was a very good game that marketing killed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It deserved to die after the amount of DLC they tried to force on people. It was genuinely unbelievable that they thought it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It looks so excellent!! I really like FPS games. Hope to play it as soon as possible.

Might want to look up a few posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you can convince 4 other mates to get it, it's a blast. Great at that price, too.

Kiith wrote: »
    It deserved to die after the amount of DLC they tried to force on people. It was genuinely unbelievable that they thought it was ok.

Bit of an exaggeration. What DLC was forced upon people?

The vast majority of DLC was cosmetic, literally nothing to do with how the game plays.

There were new characters and monsters added which cost probably double the cost I'd be willing to pay personally (which is why I didn't buy them) but you were still able to play with and against the players who did have those characters.

On top of that any game modes and maps were free DLC.

Evolve actually did DLC a lot better than pretty much any other Multiplayer game that came out last year bar Splatoon I'd say.

Bad marketing and hyperbolic articles saying there was $300 worth of DLC were nonsense.

Games like TLOU (it'll be the same with Uncharted 4 I bet), COD, Battlefront and even look at Doom now, all handle DLC a way worse, it's just that they market the game a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

tok9 wrote: »
    Bit of an exaggeration. What DLC was forced upon people?

The vast majority of DLC was cosmetic, literally nothing to do with how the game plays.

There were new characters and monsters added which cost probably double the cost I'd be willing to pay personally (which is why I didn't buy them) but you were still able to play with and against those the players who did have those characters.

On top of that any game modes and maps were free DLC.

Evolve actually did DLC a lot better than pretty much any other Multiplayer game that came out last year bar Splatoon I'd say.

Bad marketing and hyperbolic articles saying there was $300 worth of DLC were nonsense.

Games like TLOU (it'll be the same with Uncharted 4 I bet), COD, Battlefront and even look at Doom now, all handle DLC a way worse.

Nope, noone handled anything ever worse than they did.

I wanted to buy the game then they put me off it and a few other hundred thousand people too.

It doesnt matter if this is the best game ever, it could be, I mean L4D lads made it. Noone bought it because L4D lads made a complete arse of releasing a game.

Prolly best that Valve released L4D.......

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nope, noone handled anything ever worse than they did.

I wanted to buy the game then they put me off it and a few other hundred thousand people too.

You seem to be missing the point of what I said.

I did say due to how they marketed it that they lost a load of consumers but that doesn't mean the DLC was bad.

As I said - majority was cosmetic, the new characters dlc did not fragment the community and modes and maps were free for everyone.

Compare that to Battlefront/Battlefield/Cod that splits the community with map pack dlc or The Last of Us that has weapons you have to pay for which actually provide an advantage to those who pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

dreamers75 wrote: »

Can't agree with that at all, for the reasons stated in your very next sentence. Evolve's DLC is not just cosmetic at all, it's heavily based on adding new characters, which are quite varied in gameplay styles. This is fine in a F2P game like LoL, not so much here, which is the general consensus I believe. F2P-esque DLC for a full priced title.

I loved the concept since the announcement but could only justify it once it dropped to 75% off.

Anyone find this game far twitchier than the beta? Possibly too many cooks giving it feedback in the 2K forums. Also, I see a lot of a certain monster :ermm:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If you're the senior management of a games publisher, chances are you know nothing about games because people who make games don't know how to run multi-billion dollar companies (GROSS generalisation, but not necessarily unfair).

If you're a senior manager detached from the reality of what your customer base wants and says, then of course you're going to think "wow, people love this cosmetic DLC stuff, they lap it up from our other games and it's raking the dough in for those Riot and Valve chaps, lets churn loads of that out."

Evolve is a game that literally thought it was a good idea to announce, proudly and with no sense of irony, that they were going to have loads of DLC, more than any other game, at launch. What they failed to realise is that gamers are fking morons who will whinge and bitch and moan about a thing and still do it anyway as long as it's not too overt and crass in the way the Evolve marketing campaign was.

DublinBust wrote: »
    Can't agree with that at all, for the reasons stated in your very next sentence. Evolve's DLC is not just cosmetic at all, it's heavily based on adding new characters, which are quite varied in gameplay styles. This is fine in a F2P game like LoL, not so much here, which is the general consensus I believe. F2P-esque DLC for a full priced title.

I loved the concept since the announcement but could only justify it once it dropped to 75% off.

Well I did say the vast majority. You're right, the character were varied in how they played but they weren't overpowered or broke the game for other players using the older characters.

My point is you absolutely did not have to buy the dlc to get an advantage or to enjoy the game. The base game was very good. It was as Shiminay said where they just ****ed up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Annnnnnddddd I bought it.

5 quid with one LC monster.

I blame all of you.

• Advertisement

Well Evolve is going F2P, starting a beta on PC on the 7th and coming to consoles later.

Big post on it here.

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/a-message-to-our-community/87816

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope it's not too late for it, it's class game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've only themselves to blame for how it was handled. And given how bad they handled it that, i don't have much hope for them implementing a good F2P model.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah brand new for 8 euro all over the shop, tempted to get it. Either that or a Butter chicken from the local indian???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tried this during the free weekend. Even with the playerbase boosted, matches took like 10 minutes+ to get going here in Australia. I can't see FTP changing things too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Might give it a go. I was quite tempted to get it when it was coming out, as I am a big fan of the Left 4 Dead games, but then I had a whole thing with my PC dying so I ended up not bothering at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What'll be interesting to see is who is actually driving the new F2P direction, Turtle Rock themselves or 2K. A few publications asked 2K for comment after the game was removed from Steam and there doesn't seem to have been a reply to the those requests before or after the announcement from TR. Personally, I'd rather like to see the devs holding the reigns since it would have been the publisher who was responsible for the fairly catastrophic DLC and marketing decisions around launch time. Gotta feel for the team putting years of their life into a project only to see its chances at success dashed by that kind of nonsense.

Also, if it is 2K driving this, it'll be their first foray into F2P so one wonders if it may have any longer term implications for Battleborn which, as far as I can see, is taking a bit of a hammering from Overwatch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Game was a flop, if it's pay-to-win people won't be arsed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

2 days after it was announced that Evolve would be free to play, the amount of players rose from 157 to 35,000 and counting!!!!! In 2 (!!!) days!!! So I guess the game wasn't a flop, it just was expensive

• Advertisement

Briefly played a few days ago. Am I mad or was everything locked out except one character with no perks?

Advertisement