Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preacher [AMC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Was arseface plagiarized from another show? Can't believe I'm saying this, but recognise that face from somewhere!
    NSFA:
    vimeo dot com/136592330

OK. Now we're getting somewhere.
    That was an enjoyable episode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Barely know anything about Preacher as well beside having seen it on shelves but GF and I are struggling with it. For me the show just feels like it's dragging too slowly for it's first few episodes, despite having good production values.

But will hold out until the end of the season before I make my mind up as this week's episode was an improvement.

I think the issue is so many people involved in the production are so enthusiastic about the comic, forgot the TV audience they are targeting are people who haven't read the comics. It's the same problem Batman v Superman had. I've only seen 5 episodes so far. The guts of 4 hours. You still have no idea who Jesse is and what propells him. I think that's an insult onto the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

That scene in the motel was sheer brilliance, I was in knots. V. Enjoyable episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think the issue is so many people involved in the production are so enthusiastic about the comic, forgot the TV audience they are targeting are people who haven't read the comics. It's the same problem Batman v Superman had. I've only seen 5 episodes so far. The guts of 4 hours. You still have no idea who Jesse is and what propells him. I think that's an insult onto the audience.

I'm selfishly enjoying the fact that I'm 'in the know'. On the other hand, they really should make it a little more noob friendly to avoid the chop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Now that was more like it. Significant pick up in pace. The Motel scene was a laugh. More happened in this than the previous 5 episodes put together.

Thankful, but strange that they didn't go back to the Old West and continue that story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

When that episode finsihed my first words were "That was more like it!". The hotel scene was great and kind of reminded me of a cross between Banshee and Fargo so no bad thing at all. Great to see the story finally going somewhere. It only took 6 episodes! I still zoned out in the middle with Tulip and the girl who assists at the church. Ruth Negga is great but I can't help feeling at this stage that Tulip is feeling a little pointless. I hope they continue with episodes as good as last night's for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yup, this week's episode was much more like it. Poor arseface :pac:

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Poor arseface :pac:
    [/B]GO TO HELL EUGENE

*A beat*

"SUITCASE OF $1,000 BILLS APPEAR!"

The Motel fight scene was really quite funny. Especially the angel's annoyance at Cassidy killing the Seraphim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Loved this episode! It took a while to get into the show, but now I ordered the first 3 volumes of the comic to check it all out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well now, that was something.

As others have said the opening scene in the motel was great, more happened before the opening credits than in the previous episodes combined, and not just in terms of action, we actually got a good dump of information as to what exactly was going on and who everyone is.

I think someone mentioned it before but I assume the reason it didn't explode Jesse the way it did the other preachers was because he is himself 50/50 on the good/bad scale. He could easily go either way.

I enjoyed the Tulip/Emily scenes if only because it feels like it's starting to tie everyone into the same plot line.

One issue I had was with Cassidy and Tulip apparently not knowing that they were both connected to Jesse. Weren't they sitting next to one another in the pilot at one point? Or Cassidy was sitting behind her in the church anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

One issue I had was with Cassidy and Tulip apparently not knowing that they were both connected to Jesse. Weren't they sitting next to one another in the pilot at one point? Or Cassidy was sitting behind her in the church anyway.

Yeah they were just both in chruch though, sitting in different rows, pretty sure one of them was wearing shades also :cool:

nix wrote: »
    Yeah they were just both in chruch though, sitting in different rows, pretty sure one of them was wearing shades also :cool:

True, but to have no idea that either was connected to Jesse.... I don't know. I also have some idea that when Tulip showed up to be baptised Cassidy passed some comment on it. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

And we're back to first gear ;)

Grayditch wrote: »
    And we're back to first gear ;)

Really strange that eps 3 to 7 have been written and directed by different people.

They need to fix on ep 6's crew fast!

It wasn't bad or anything, just such a huge drop in pace after such a good previous episode packed with... ya know.. events!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I enjoyed this latest episode. I think people are getting a bit carried away. Granted the previous episode to the current one was awesome but if you look at the latest episode compared to a few earlier episodes, it was quite decent. Yeah it was slow but there was fallout from a few big things, like Eugene's disappearance and the Quincannon guy. I'm ot sure what the deal is now with Cassidy having burned up. Is he off to Hell to bring back Eugene? Is Eugene just gone for good? I'm guessing there's going to be some serious payback for Quincannon as well next week. I thought it was pretty decent overall.

Much slower episode this week but at least we got some back story with Tulip and Jesse as kids and some decent character development for most of them.

I kind of feel like Jesse is the weak link when it comes to the 3 main characters. That one scene where Tulip got her Uncle's trousers back and then sat with him was better than anything we've seen Jesse do. Cassidy confronting him at the end too was pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really enjoyed this week. While it wasn't as action packed, I still thought it developed. Interesting to see if Eugene is damned or if he somehow comes back. I haven't read the comics, so don't spoil it!

Have to say though, the scene in the kitchen looking over Preachers back, with Emily on the left and Tulip on the right. Emily being all innocent and holy, Tulip being more devilish. The angel and devils on his shoulders. Very well shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

This is utter tripe compared to the Comic.. I really thought this would be better

Better episode. Although not hugely inspiring.

It was good yeah. Back to business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tefral wrote: »
    This is utter tripe compared to the Comic.. I really thought this would be better

Ditto. I understand that there are elements of the comic that can't really be adapted or abridged, but the show is even worse than the Walking Dead in that regard. At least TWD had a fairly faithful first season before it decided to do its own thing, this is pretty much 'Preacher' in name and characters only.

Very watchable in its own right admittedly but even more so disappointing.

Poor Brewski.

I was reading an interview with Ruth Negga where she said that the first season is kind of a prequel to the comics. It sounded like S2 was when they'd start following them more closely, within the realms of what's doable on TV anyway. I'm not sure how many viewers will stick with it though, not sure what the ratings have been like.

I watched Stranger Things on Netflix over the weekend and apart from it being so good that it's made me much more critical of other series, I can't help thinking it was 8 episodes, and in that 8 episodes it built a world, gave us maybe 10 fully functioning and well developed characters and told an amazing story. Compare that to the 8 episodes we've had of Preacher..... you know?

Poor Brewski.

At least she gave him a good last day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Much slower episode this week but at least we got some back story with Tulip and Jesse as kids and some decent character development for most of them.

I kind of feel like Jesse is the weak link when it comes to the 3 main characters. That one scene where Tulip got her Uncle's trousers back and then sat with him was better than anything we've seen Jesse do. Cassidy confronting him at the end too was pretty great.

I feel exactly the same, Jessie as a character makes no sense. You gain the power to extend your will over everybody and don't go nuts witih it for a bit? Half the town would be dancing naked in the streets just for $h1ts and giggles, ok fair enough, he's determined instead to use his power for good, but goes all shifty eyed creepy evil about compelling people withing seconds instead?
    I've really no idea what motivates the character appart from some stock cliches about promises made to his dead daddy. He's the sole character that's really bugging me and as the lead character of the series, that's not good.

conorhal wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same, Jessie as a character makes no sense. You gain the power to extend your will and don't go nuts witih it for a bit? Half the town would be dancing naked in the streets just for $h1ts and giggles, ok he is determined to use his power for good, but goes all shifty eyed creepy evil about compelling people withing seconds?
    I've really no idea what motivates the character appart from some stock cliches about promises made to his dead daddy. He's the sole character that's really bugging me and as the lead character of the series, that's not good.

I'm not sure Cooper is that good an actor either. I got more emotion from Ruth Negga's 2 minutes of screen time this week than I got from all of his. Even the kid playing young Jesse gives off more.

Cooper's definitely not that good an actor. I get nothing from him in anything I watch him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Advertisement