Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman - Arkham Knight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    Did you wait for the credits?

Eh, i thought i did. Do you mean catwoman and going back to her apartment? I did that and than finished the Bane and Deadshot quests, but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh no, I mean that there's some audio played during the credits. Some people missed it, but it's well worth listening to it all.Well, not all. You cna skip through the youtube video

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New insider vid showing off Dual Play. Looks good, a nice addition to keep the combat fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

sheehy83 wrote: »
    New insider vid showing off Dual Play. Looks good, a nice addition to keep the combat fresh.

Man that dual play looks very seamless switching between characters

Man that dual play looks very seamless switching between characters

Yeah, I was keeping an eye out on the AI but looked like he was fighting fine, doesn't seem overpowered at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

sheehy83 wrote: »

video

Oh man that looks pretty good. It really just makes me want it to be coop, though. Tag combos in games like this are always best when you can pull them off with a friend and feel great playing together well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system in this series. I'd prefer to fight just a handful of grunts, and have them put up a good fight. The massive punch-ups are easy, repetitive and ultimately boring. However, I have always viewed these games as a mature extension of the animated series, and in that respect Batman's total superiority is appropriate. I just wish he got a good hiding every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm not a huge fan of the combat system in this series. I'd prefer to fight just a handful of grunts, and have them put up a good fight. The massive punch-ups are easy, repetitive and ultimately boring. However, I have always viewed these games as a mature extension of the animated series, and in that respect Batman's total superiority is appropriate. I just wish he got a good hiding every now and then.

I dont mean to come off a grumpy so and so but if you play games on easy, they tend to be easy. Thats not the games fault, if you want a challenge why are you playing it on easy?

Play them on hard. No attack/counter indicators and you get your ass handed to you by large groups regularly.

Kirby wrote: »
    I dont mean to come off a grumpy so and so but if you play games on easy, they tend to be easy. Thats not the games fault, if you want a challenge why are you playing it on easy?

Play them on hard. No attack/counter indicators and you get your ass handed to you by large groups regularly.

Who said I was playing on easy?

But while we're on the subject, I enjoy games where the normal difficulty level is challenging. I find that playing a game on hard can artificially imbalance the game. For example, the AI have eyes in the back of their head or they can take way too much damage. Yes, the end result is a harder game, but the artifice pulls me out of the experience.

For the record, Arkham City was the only one I played on hard, and I still found the group brawls easy, repetitive and boring.

Finally, Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good example of a challenging game, even on the regular setting. I started it this week and I was ready to give up until I levelled up a bit. It's very nicely balanced.

On the other hand, I also played Dark Souls for the first time this week and it was too damn hard. I simply haven't got it in me to put in enough hours to level up. It's torturous.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Batman and the Arkham series, so think of this as constructive criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Who said I was playing on easy?

But while we're on the subject, I enjoy games where the normal difficulty level is challenging. I find that playing a game on hard can artificially imbalance the game. For example, the AI have eyes in the back of their head or they can take way too much damage. Yes, the end result is a harder game, but the artifice pulls me out of the experience.

For the record, Arkham City was the only one I played on hard, and I still found the group brawls easy, repetitive and boring.

Hard in City wasn't hard, those difficulties were pretty much "very easy", "easy", and "normal". The main aspect of hard mode from asylum was moved to New Game Plus on city as you no longer got the huge icons above the enemies heads.

I always found the attack icons made the game crazy easy. It feels like something that would only activate if you died 5 times in a row on easy mode or something. I never even knew the original game had them until I started playing the challenge maps because I played it for the first time on hard mode. I was pretty annoyed when Arkham City had them on even on hard mode and with no ability to turn them off other than to complete the game once... my favourite part of games is the first play-through experience and I felt the icons spoiled it a fair bit.

I'm not some pro-gamer, either. Batman is legitimately way too easy even on its hardest settings. The worst you'll come across is trial-and-error boss routines and a few fatal mistakes in predator maps. I am hoping Knight ups the difficulty or at the very least makes it so that hard mode is as hard as it can be and removes attack icons. Why have a difficulty option when they're all easy in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I found the Batman games hard. I could not finish Arkham Asylum because I got stuck at a boss fight where you have to fight two big guys that look like Bane while fighting off wave of normal guys. I tried and tried and then just lost interest and gave up. Really liked the game but I found the combat very hard. Same with City, just kept dieing if I had to take on more than 4-5 at once. Never any good at button combo brawler type games, Assassin's Creed is the only game if that type that I can manage. Same with Remember Me can't get very far in that either for the same reason.

I found the Batman games hard. I could not finish Arkham Asylum because I got stuck at a boss fight where you have to fight two big guys that look like Bane while fighting off wave of normal guys. I tried and tried and then just lost interest and gave up. Really liked the game but I found the combat very hard. Same with City, just kept dieing if I had to take on more than 4-5 at once. Never any good at button combo brawler type games, Assassin's Creed is the only game if that type that I can manage. Same with Remember Me can't get very far in that either for the same reason.

You can't die as long as you keep pressing 1 button. What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You can't die as long as you keep pressing 1 button. What's the issue?

Thats just so wrong I dont know where to start.

Opponents with knives will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents with shields will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents with stun batons will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents wi....well you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I always found the attack icons made the game crazy easy. It feels like something that would only activate if you died 5 times in a row on easy mode or something. I never even knew the original game had them until I started playing the challenge maps because I played it for the first time on hard mode. I was pretty annoyed when Arkham City had them on even on hard mode and with no ability to turn them off other than to complete the game once... my favourite part of games is the first play-through experience and I felt the icons spoiled it a fair bit.

I'm not some pro-gamer, either. Batman is legitimately way too easy even on its hardest settings. The worst you'll come across is trial-and-error boss routines and a few fatal mistakes in predator maps. I am hoping Knight ups the difficulty or at the very least makes it so that hard mode is as hard as it can be and removes attack icons. Why have a difficulty option when they're all easy in the end?
    You could turn off hints separately from the difficulty mode in City, that covered the counter icons. :o

There will be 243 Riddler trophies in AK (almost half of what was in AC) as Sefton Hill said they wanted quality over quantity with some of the 'most devious and cunning' brainteasers in the series.

I know there were a lot in AC but I still enjoyed getting them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Playing the challenge maps on origin last weekend, they were incredibly easy and nothing compared to aa or ac ( which we easier than aa).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

243 is still too many as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

tok9 wrote: »

I wish it was an even number :-/

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats just so wrong I dont know where to start.

Opponents with knives will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents with shields will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents with stun batons will kill you if you just spam counter.
    Opponents wi....well you get the idea.

It was an exageration of the simplistic combat mechanics of the game. Anyway, I never found those enemies an issue because you can insta-kill them with the takedown or destroy their weapon.

Knight needs to be harder on its hardest difficulty.
    gizmo wrote: »
    You could turn off hints separately from the difficulty mode in City, that covered the counter icons. :o

Pretty sure I did that and I still got the icons. They only went away when I played new game +. I really do not mind the icons as long as they're only in normal or easy. It's not stuff I expect to see when I play on hard which in my opinion is around normal difficulty when compared to other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dreading the inevitable vehicle based ones but I do enjoy the riddle ones where you spot something in the environment the riddle is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They are a scourge!!!

It was ok in the first one, they were riddles or just trophies lying around.

But from City onwards, it was a complete joke, every roof top, hidden room in buildings, back alley, sewer, all had riddle puzzles involving loads of contraptions.

I know its a crazy fictional universe, but the riddler going around and welding all these things together in every corner of the city was a bit too big of a stretch for me. :pac: Seriously f*** those things!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

In general I dislike the "collect x amount of items" sidequests, but in the batman games I really enjoyed them, they were actually puzzles that needed to be solved (less so in origins, the poor imitator) rather than just simply finding random shit lying around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really turned me off Arkham City, especially since some of the game's best content was hidden behind ever escalating demands for them (gave up when the game wanted to me to find dozens more of them before the next hostage room). In no interpretation of the idea can I see hundreds of trophies as anything other than lazy, time-wasting and insipid design. Asylum judged the balance almost perfectly, which is the worst thing of all about the sheer amount of them in subsequent games.

I expect I'm in the minority here, but I loathe trophies and collectibles of every variety.

As long as they're optional and purely for collections' sake I'm ok with them but if there's some combat moves or gadget upgrades of some sort locked behind X amount of riddler BS then that's gonna rustle my jimmies. I feel like they increased the ridder stuff just so they could say the game is a certain amount of hours longer in content. I completely ignored collectables in Origins because I was so burnt out with them from City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I expect I'm in the minority here, but I loathe trophies and collectibles of every variety.

I'd imagine you're in the Majority. Just some people on boards are a bit OTT with their love for them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah, that ad is a bit of a stupid message.
    They should focus on the game and gameplay, not telling people to be like Batman
    (the image of a guy about to fight 3 thugs in an alley....well he's obviously gonna get his head kicked in)
    (the fireman not using a hose or a ladder , and running into the ground floor on fire to save people up the stairs )
    (office manager and his mates managing to scare off the bullys with his scary bad man face)

The ad is just complete pants

This trailer was much funnier and more memorable

Advertisement