Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman - Arkham Knight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, and reading their own press release (I know, large pinches of salt), this seems to me to be a "we had some great ideas for this series that we couldn't make work as a main part of the series and since this is our last one, we figured we'd leave no ideas unexplored." Now giving the benefit of the doubt, that does, on the face of it, seem to be a perfectly reasonable explanation. This is Batman, there are people working on this who've grown up reading Batman since they were 7 or 8 years old I'm sure. Of COURSE they want to do more with it and of course they, like any fan, want to see Batgirl in particular who we've not seen since Oracle was helping out in Asylum, so maybe it's *that* backstory? It's also, and I'm going off on a tangent here I realise, is a great way to bring the Joker into their last hurrah and run a "Killing Joke" inspired story that leads to Barbara's ending up paralysed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've definitely said this before, but I actually think there's a lot of artistic potential in DLC, and Left Behind was the best realisation of that yet. The ability to revisit mechanics, characters and stories in a different context, or explore ideas that are too large or tangential for the main game, yet not enough for a full blown retail release. Even Blood Dragon, as shallow as it is, was a neat way to utilise the existing assets, mechanics and engine to deliver something totally different. Most single-player DLC tends to be 'more of the same' (and sadly often not even up to the standards of 'the same'), but when they're given the proper resources DLC is definitely something talented developers can do a lot with, and even creatively ambitious things that would be impossible in a full price release :)

Here's my dream:

Creators of the incredible worlds that we play our games in realise that they control the "Cannon" of the world and their fans are free to add to it and around it and show us a totally different side of their universes so all of us can keep loving the story/game/art/music/film/whatever for longer. Modding in gaming is the greatest expression of this dream and I'm tickled pink by the notion that Rocksteady would say "here are our dev tools, go wild" in the way that the Dying Light folks have done and we get 5+ years of amazing fan made Batman gaming content :D As the keepers of the "Cannon" the developer/publisher gets to give a nod to the creators who have done something special and better still, hire them on for their next projects and have this industry help itself grow and evolve organically.

Artistic Communism I dub this dream. It's silly I know, but it's nice to have dreams and it's nice to think about what could be possible if people stopped worrying about IP Rights and trying to squeeze every last dime out of the punter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shiminay wrote: »
    like any fan, want to see Batgirl in particular who we've not seen since Oracle was helping out in Asylum, so maybe it's *that* backstory? It's also, and I'm going off on a tangent here I realise, is a great way to bring the Joker into their last hurrah and run a "Killing Joke" inspired story that leads to Barbara's ending up paralysed.

Going by the picture it looks like
    It's Cassandra and not Barbara. Unless Barbara is wearing a dark wig. Maybe it ties into David Cain being in the game and Cassandra's Batgirl joining Batman at some point. And yeah, I know Cassandra's costume looks different than that

As for the extra content, Remember this is Batman, DC comic where there are multiple spinoffs. Think of this as a Batman comic arc with a Batgirl tie in that you don't have to pick up but will expand the story a bit by showing another POV. :)

You could well be right and that's still awesome :D

And yes, you've absolutely nailed it in drawing the comparisons to how the comics business work, it's comics people making the ultimate decisions so they're sticking with what they know.

I don't mind paying for good content regardless the medium. I support some stuff on Twitch and on Patreon cause I know the content creators are paying their rent with that money. Buying DLC does the same for the AAA games industry - the people are getting paid anyway, but they have a longer career the more we pay because the company (in this case, usually the publisher as well as the developers) keeps the project going rather than seeing the staff being let go 6 months after the product ships and the majority of bugs are squashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just looking at the Premium edition again here and as some people have commented, it doesn't say if it comes with the Harley DLC and asking the sites(steam included) they were told they can't guarantee it would come with it.

Yea, it's conspicuous in it's absence and it's a pretty shtty way to nickle and dime you into buying them as separates if she's not included in the premium.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have to say, I find it unusual the amount of aggro these business practices cause. I've bought loads of games, games which had numerous DLC available either for purchase or as a bonus for pre-ordering, and it's extremely rare that I'd get the DLC as well.

I've yet to come across a game where I've felt as if I've missed out on story or gameplay.

In saying that, I've also changed my buying habits considerably. I'm now playing through my backlog, and only purchasing games when they're on sale, usually with all the bonuses and DLC built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Am I the only one who finds the whole discourse surrounding season passes and DLC a bit, well, hysterical?

Totally agree with all of this. At some point I do think a conversation about some of these "bargains" people go for should be had but I'd rather wait and see how it plays out first before risking the lynching that would possibly ensue. :)
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Here's my dream:

Creators of the incredible worlds that we play our games in realise that they control the "Cannon" of the world and their fans are free to add to it and around it and show us a totally different side of their universes so all of us can keep loving the story/game/art/music/film/whatever for longer. Modding in gaming is the greatest expression of this dream and I'm tickled pink by the notion that Rocksteady would say "here are our dev tools, go wild" in the way that the Dying Light folks have done and we get 5+ years of amazing fan made Batman gaming content :D As the keepers of the "Cannon" the developer/publisher gets to give a nod to the creators who have done something special and better still, hire them on for their next projects and have this industry help itself grow and evolve organically.

Artistic Communism I dub this dream. It's silly I know, but it's nice to have dreams and it's nice to think about what could be possible if people stopped worrying about IP Rights and trying to squeeze every last dime out of the punter :)
    Ignoring the licencing implications that would stop this from happening, it's a very good point and one which I also think ties into the recent paid mod controversy. Tools development is a hell of a lot more expensive than it used to be and it would have been cool for publishers and developers to have a financial incentive for developing some really powerful mod tools knowing they'd be able to make some money back on the sale of particularly decent ones. Obviously what was proposed wasn't the ideal solution but again, it's something that is worthy of exploration in the future imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I have to say, I find it unusual the amount of aggro these business practices cause. I've bought loads of games, games which had numerous DLC available either for purchase or as a bonus for pre-ordering, and it's extremely rare that I'd get the DLC as well.

I've yet to come across a game where I've felt as if I've missed out on story or gameplay.

In saying that, I've also changed my buying habits considerably. I'm now playing through my backlog, and only purchasing games when they're on sale, usually with all the bonuses and DLC built in.

We're very much on the same page, for 99% of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm after reading the identity of Arkham Knight has been leaked/revealed. I haven't clicked into any links but with almost 2 months left to release, I hope I don't get it spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Confirmation on identity of batgirl
    gHGdEYH.jpg

Interesting. So that'd make the DLC pre-Arkham City era at least then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm after reading the identity of Arkham Knight has been leaked/revealed. I haven't clicked into any links but with almost 2 months left to release, I hope I don't get it spoiled.

Ah I think we can nearly guess who it is.

My 2 guesses.
    1. Jason Todd
    2. Hush

Most likely its guess no.1.

Oh man, that sounds like an epic DLC then as it would be a prequel to Arkham Asylum and might contain spoiler villain
    Joker
    . Now that would be worth while DLC.

gizmo wrote: »
    Interesting. So that'd make the DLC pre-Arkham City era at least then?

I'd say it's post Origins and pre-Asylum

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ah I think we can nearly guess who it is.

My 2 guesses.
    1. Jason Todd
    2. Hush

Most likely its guess no.1.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's no.1 myself but 2 would make sense as well after Arkham City.

In regards to no.2,
    does Hush know who Batman is or does he just want to parade around as Bruce unaware of his Bats side
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah, I'm hoping it's no.1 myself but 2 would make sense as well after Arkham City.

In regards to no.2,
    does Hush know who Batman is or does he just want to parade around as Bruce unaware of his Bats side
    ?
    I don't think he does know but he was Bruce Wayne's best friend growing up.

Btw where did you read the leaks checked Arkhamverse & there was nothing.....

In regards to no.2,
    ?
    He knows
    everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

In regards to no.2,
    ?

I think he knows everything. And I think he is less likely as he would probably just appear as himself, rather than dress up as a Batman type character.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't think he does know but he was Bruce Wayne's best friend growing up.

Btw where did you read the leaks checked Arkhamverse & there was nothing.....

Saw a thread on gamefaqs and a vid on youtube with the that title. Both could be BS but don't wanna chance checking.
    He knows
    everything

Ah, that would make a lot of sense then. I'd say Rocksteady said AK was a brand new character, it was their sneaky way of saying that character was new, but no necessarily who's underneath.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think he knows everything. And I think he is less likely as he would probably just appear as himself, rather than dress up as a Batman type character.

in the DC comics pre 52 when Bruce Wayne was presumed dead, Hush was impersonating him

Saw a thread on gamefaqs and a vid on youtube with the that title. Both could be BS but don't wanna chance checking.

Ah, that would make a lot of sense then. I'd say Rocksteady said AK was a brand new character, it was their sneaky way of saying that character was new, but no necessarily who's underneath.

The arkham knight comic hasn't really given any hints at all to his identity just showing that he/she has been working behind the scenes since the end of Arkham city.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is Origins worth playing? Got stuck into City yesterday and it's brilliant. Absolutely flying through it.

Will pre-order this later today as well.

Kiith wrote: »
    Is Origins worth playing? Got stuck into City yesterday and it's brilliant. Absolutely flying through it.

Definitely! Looking to get a loan of a PS3 just to play the trilogy again before AK :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cool, i can get it with the season pass for €15 on the pc, so happy days :)

Dag nammit, times like this make me wish I had a proper laptop. I couldn't even play C64 games on the one I have at the moment..

OK, I've skipped a heap of posts just to say that I'm leaving this thread and all Arkham Knight content alone now cause I'm hearing about character leaks and serious story spoilers.

I'll talk to ye about a week after the game launches when I've completed it :D:D:D

Kiith wrote: »

Playing through Origins at the moment and while it's very good, it still feels like a filler entry which was made by a team which doesn't have as good an understanding of the series as Rocksteady. Definitely worth playing but just temper your expectations I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did they ever fix the bugs in Origins? I remember having to do a crazy glitch thing to bypass an air vent that it would not let me climb into, so instead, I'd to glide around, land on a specific pipe, crouch and move in a certain way, the game would glitch Bats in between pipes, where he'd stutter in a falling animation, before shooting way up into the sky, where I'd to land on the roof of the building.

Advertisement