Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman - Arkham Knight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

humanji wrote: »
    I'd assume it'd also be like the previous games where the skin only becomes available after you finish the game.

I'm not 100% but I'm fairly sure on one of the Insider vids, they said all skins can be used straight away as long as you unlocked/purchased them. I'd say it's them showing incentive to buy/preorder whatever so people can have the 'goodies' straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm sure some white knight (see what I did there? :P) will come in and tell us discussing batman DLC in the batman thread is off topic....and defend these sorts of practices. It's par for the course at this stage.

Frankly, that chart is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Massive Batman fan here, and I'd nearly cancel my preorder and wait for this on the cheap. If I hadn't gotten it for a steal on Amazon that is.

I won't have time for it with The Witcher anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So you will be putting the game on ice?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

€5 GOTY edition on Steam in two years for me, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kirby wrote: »
    So you will be putting the game on ice?

Please quote/paraphrase either the comic or 90s animated version of Mr Freeze.

Not the Batman & Robin version /shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm sure some white knight (see what I did there? :P) will come in and tell us discussing batman DLC in the batman thread is off topic....and defend these sorts of practices. It's par for the course at this stage.

Frankly, that chart is disgusting.
    Of course it's on topic but, Collectors Edition stuff aside, 17/26 of the items on that list are skins and two of them are Challenge Map packs.

IJDU

Now, if the additional single player story content is good and if I'm unable to buy it due to some exclusivity nonsense, then I'd be disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm trying to stick to my If i can't play it now don't buy it now rule, PlayStation plus is making it all the more vital that i stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Trophies/Cheevos list leaked.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/batman-arkham-knight/achievements/

Some very strangely named ones like they don't make sense. Ah they are actually names of comic book arcs.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Hype for this game seems to have died down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So now it'll be good, right? that's how these things work for certain people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

If it's anything like Asylum and City it will be good. If it's like Origins, which felt like more of the same but by a less skilled hand, that might be another story.
    I still play the first two, traded in Origins after I finished it and most of the side stuff.

I know Origins was by a different company but Rocksteady trusted them enough to let them at it. I'm quietly excited. Haven't even upgraded yet but this will be one I get when I do, unless I see lots of bad opinions from players, rather than professional critics. They have despised games I loved and loved games I found meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Probably ever since the witcher is out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

No Loading Screens
    "No loading screens as you play through the whole game," he said. "You can play from the start of the game to the end of the game and you won't see any loading screens. That's all a really big important thing for us."

Excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Considering we've pretty much got a video a day on it.. I'm not too surprised. They'll burn people out before they even get to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

tok9 wrote: »
    Considering we've pretty much got a video a day on it.. I'm not too surprised. They'll burn people out before they even get to play the game.

And that's why i'm not looking at any of them. I'm not a fan of companies diluting the experience before playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I read the Eurogamer and Engadget, and the authors seemed to be approaching the game from the same perspective I am - a big fan of Asylum, and less so of City. And what they said doesn't fill me with confidence this will be for me ("a flashy, Michael Bay-like explosion of set-pieces, secret identities, and a lengthy all-star line-up of both allies and antagonists", according to Aoife Wilson). I'm sure the game will be impeccably designed, look the part and more etc..., but what it fundamentally is is probably where I'll tune out. Honestly, the open world "formula" is something I feel needs a radical shake up and re-imagining at this point, but that's something for another thread (will start it at some point).

I do hope once this 'trilogy' is finished someone will let another developer or maybe even Rocksteady do something significantly different with the property. TBH I'd welcome a more 'scripted' game that embraces the unique tone and characterisation of the best Batman comics and films. Something that probes the psychology, conflicts and motivations of the Caped Crusader in a more robust, surprising manner. Maybe even just the one villain! I think now that the series has gone full Gotham it will be hard to step back, but Asylum benefited from an intimacy and focus the series has subsequently left behind. If this turns out to be the definitive realisation of what Rocksteady set out to achieve with City, perhaps narrowing the scope is the step forward the series needs afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I'd like a tighter story but with the open world. I love open world, it's my bread and butter, I don't want to see less, I want to see more games adopt this.

Being able to traverse the different environments, rather than just the Asylum and the island. Having to adjust your tactics on the fly rather than "I'll just hide under this grate or on that gargoyle" made the later games like Arkham City and even the flawed Origins more enjoyable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Genuinely thinking of cancelling my cheapish (£37.92) amazon order of the base copy now due to this DLC cluster f**k. :o

There's a lot of talk on these forums about "Voting with your wallets" but as soon as the next Must have/Day 1 game comes around that seems to inevitably dissipate into "well yeah, but that logic is for OTHER games, and not this one" :rolleyes:

The DLC nonsense going on here is akin to Evolve and Watchdogs and there's no ifs, ands or buts about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cormac... wrote: »
    Genuinely thinking of cancelling my cheapish (£37.92) amazon order of the base copy now due to this DLC cluster f**k. :o

There's a lot of talk on these forums about "Voting with your wallets" but as soon as the next Must have/Day 1 game comes around that seems to inevitably dissipate into "well yeah, but that logic is for OTHER games, and not this one" :rolleyes:

The DLC nonsense going on here is akin to Evolve and Watchdogs and there's no ifs, ands or buts about that.

I remember there was a protest set up years back about game prices, for one day no one would buy any games. Then rockstar announced vice/san andreas' relese date so everyone decided to change the day of the boycott.

Too many "votes" already cast, publishers know any resistance will be short lived; cod dedicated servers, steam #1 seller being gta preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That presenter is the most annoying human being alive on purpose yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Honestly, the open world "formula" is something I feel needs a radical shake up and re-imagining at this point, but that's something for another thread (will start it at some point).

Were you speaking about open worlds generally. If so please start that thread. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. I'm not completely sold on a lot of these games. They feel too unfocused at times. I welcome player choice and the ability to create your 'own story', but I still prefer a strong authorial voice to be the bedrock of a game. Grand Theft Auto 5 is a good example of this. There's plenty to see and do on your own time, but ultimately what you get is a solid story and loads of ideas all pulled tightly together. The game has a sense of direction, and it's about things, rather than containing things.

I'm interested to see what Naughty Dog do with Uncharted 4, because they're not going to depart from their (in)famous linearity, yet I suspect they're going to try to open the game up as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LuvSpudz

Anyone know if the batmobile edition is available anywhere still?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They are releasing way too many videos for this. Feel like i've seen half the game already, and i stopped watching them a few weeks ago.

Advertisement