Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the tax is already expired and the current owner never sorn'd the car then if they go to tax it on your behalf they will end up having to pay the arrears too.

I think it is possible for both of you to do the change of ownership in the motor tax office now where you should be able to tax it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

KC161 wrote: »
    the current registered owner can tax the car prior to you buying it provided they have valid insurance,i done this a few years ago,car was taxed and I bought it 10 minutes later,was the car declared off the road for the purposes of not paying any back tax???

You don't need a car to be insured to tax it btw.. Just put down a bunch of random numbers and pick a random insurance company, That's how i taxed my Altezza when i was using it on third party extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bazz26 wrote: »

I think it is possible for both of you to do the change of ownership in the motor tax office now where you should be able to tax it there and then.

100% possible.

I done it in Ballymun tax office a few times over the years and more recently in Smithfield. Just bring the signed VLC into them, que up as normal and tax it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Daaryl wrote: »
    You don't need a car to be insured to tax it btw.. Just put down a bunch of random numbers and pick a random insurance company, That's how i taxed my Altezza when i was using it on third party extension.

one of those is presumably a typo!

Marcusm wrote: »
    one of those is presumably a typo!

Not a typo bud, Car was mine, In somebody elses name, No typo :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Daaryl wrote: »
    Not a typo bud, Car was mine, In somebody elses name, No typo :P

Apologies for suggesting it was a typo; thanks for clarifying that it was a fraud instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Never said the seller would have to tax it,the buyer could complete the tax/sale at the local M.T.O (IF CONVENIENT FOR BOTH PARTIES)

Marcusm wrote: »
    Apologies for suggesting it was a typo; thanks for clarifying that it was a fraud instead.

No problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi,

A friend is thinking of buying a car off someone soon, problem is the car hasn't been taxed since Christmas and it hasn't been declared off the road etc.

My question is, will he have to repay the arrears on tax or will he only have to pay from the month he receives the new log book?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He will be liable from the month he signs the logbook (as in the date of change of ownership) no arrears will be due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He will be liable from the month he signs the logbook (as in the date of change of ownership) no arrears will be due.

That's what I was thinking, spot on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Hi Lads

think i am after shooting myself in the foot. Bought a car Friday 21st Aug. waiting on new tax book. as date of sale would have been 21st and i have 10 days to tax it, that means the 10 days are up 31st Aug which means i have to tax it from the first of August, is this right? .....Think i should have waited till Sat to buy it....

If you tax it in August you'll pay for 3/6/12 months.
    If you tax it in September you'll pay for 4/7/13 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

akelly02 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

think i am after shooting myself in the foot. Bought a car Friday 21st Aug. waiting on new tax book. as date of sale would have been 21st and i have 10 days to tax it, that means the 10 days are up 31st Aug which means i have to tax it from the first of August, is this right? .....Think i should have waited till Sat to buy it....
    If the tax is out then where are you getting this 10 days from? You have 10 days to declare it off the road but you can't legally use it at any time since purchase without tax.
    If the car is untaxed and you're currently using it then tax is due immediately and yes you'll have to pay for August-Sept-Oct at a minimum.
    Waiting until 1st Sept to buy would have saved you a month's tax.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you tax it in September you'll pay for 4/7/13 months
    Normally, but I've found that if you go to the Motor Tax office within a few days after the month change (during the same week) they may not charge arrears. e.g. tax expired end July, if you tax on 2rd Sept they may allow you to pay Aug-Spt-Oct instead of Sept-Oct-Nov + arrears for Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nick.halligan

Im 16 soon 17 and want to buy a cheap old car to take apart and put back together.
    The car im looking at will have no tax and will be kept "off road".
    When i am finished i intend on scrapping it
    Can someone tell me what the rules or laws are of buying a car with no tax
    Does it have to be registered off road and What is needed to Scrap a car?
    Thanks

No issues at all if it never sees a road again. Just do the normal change of ownership (sign log book) and start tearing it down to your heart's content. Declaring the car off the road is only relevant if you intend putting it back on the road and want to avoid tax arrears (there are other ways around this anyway). Make sure to trailer it back home, it's not legal to drive it or tow it without tax.

When you scrap you must bring it to an authorised treatment facility (licensed breakers) where you'll get a certificate of destruction which will prove the car has been destroyed in accordance with the law. If the valuable bits (engine, gearbox, etc) are still on the car when scrapping then the ATF can't charge you for scrapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

A scrap metal place will pay you for it too if you stripped off all the non-metal stuff. No need to bother taxing it if you're only taking it apart

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

slimjimmc wrote: »
    When you scrap you must bring it to an authorised treatment facility (licensed breakers) where you'll get a certificate of destruction which will prove the car has been destroyed in accordance with the law.

Are there any consequences of not following that procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

CiniO wrote: »

The scrap police report you to the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Article 35 SI 282/2006 makes it an offence so there's probably a penalty specified somewhere, however in reality if the car has been sold or crushed then there's little to worry about. The main concern is the blowback if it's found dumped in a field and you're the last registered owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daddyno1

I have an 03 ' VW bora sitting in the drive. It's been sitting there for over two years now. It has no tax, Nct , etc. So family member asked about it. And I said he could have it. Only problem being is... Would I be liable for the outstanding tax if he puts it in his name and back on the road. I never declared it off the road.....Would like to give it to him, but don't fancy being landed with the back tax. Or am I better off scraping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

There is no back tax. Yes you can sign it over and the Tax will restart from that day.

I would suggest getting it NCT ready before doing that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

New owner will only be liable for the tax from month it was bought, do it tomorrow rather than today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

xabi wrote: »
    New owner will only be liable for the tax from month it was bought, do it tomorrow rather than today.
    +1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

bit of advice needed,
    i am picking up a car tomorrow with no tax, i don't think it was declared off the road.

now here is the thing, the tax is 100 a month and i really don't want to have to pay for OCT if i can help it.

Anyway around it, is it done by the day the log book is signed over ?

Regards

D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Buy it 1st November.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

100 a Month. Is it an F1 Engine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

223vmax wrote: »
    Buy it 1st November.

need it asap. if i delay the reg docs going in >? would that work ?

its only a 2.5 petrol and 299 a quarter for tax if done that way

• Advertisement

Declare it off the road, don't drive it till November, tax it in November

Or

Tax it now.

Tax would start from 1st October and run till end of December.

Any seller worth half a brain won't give the buyer the vehicle registration cert to take away, they would post it off ASAP themselves.

Advertisement