Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yes. New owner is not obliged to pay any arrears. You pay from the first month ownership was transferred to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh, well that's good news, thought it sounded dodgy!! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Hi,

Looking at buying a car but the car registration isn't in the current owners name. If I get it in my name will I be liable for any back tax?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at buying a car but the car registration isn't in the current owners name. If I get it in my name will I be liable for any back tax?

Why would you buy a car off some one who's name isn't on the log book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bit risky..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Ok so am buying a car that has been off the road since January. Do I have to go to the road tax office with my new papers or can I do my first tax online. Just notice they are looking for a pin. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Did you receive the log book yet? If not, wait for it and you have 10 days from then to either pay tax at the office or do it online.
    You can request the pin by emailing them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Just wondering if i buy a car that's out of tax do i have to back tax it or just tax it from when i bought it? Thanks

No, you don't. Only from the month you purchase the car.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No, you don't. Only from the month you purchase the car.

Do i just bring in the log book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the seller will be posting off the log book. Keep on eye out online and as soon as the changeover is on there, you can tax online by doing a PIN retrieval

corktina wrote: »
    the seller will be posting off the log book. Keep on eye out online and as soon as the changeover is on there, you can tax online by doing a PIN retrieval

Will he not just give me the log book when i buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some motor tax offices will allow the seller to change ownership to the new owner over the counter and then the new owner can tax it there and then too. But the seller is not to give the logbook to the new owner.

I'll see later so. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Will the seller be liable for the unpaid tax if they sell the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Will the seller be liable for the unpaid tax if they sell the car?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Just reading through this thread. Buying a car tomorrow that was last taxed in May. 2014, it's a bit more expensive than our original budget but I figured once I've driven it home ill leave it on the drive till aug 1st and tax it then. I presume it isn't that simple anymore?
    So the seller gets me to sign and date log book, he or I posts that off so there is a record of date of sale, and within a week I should be able to see my name in the system online, but as I'm buying at a higher price, I can't afford to tax it till aug. Have I no choice? Seems I'd only declare it off road then would be declaring back on road within a few days?
    Am I right in thinking this is the only way to avoid paying back tax for July?

Migworks wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread. Buying a car tomorrow that was last taxed in May. 2014, it's a bit more expensive than our original budget but I figured once I've driven it home ill leave it on the drive till aug 1st and tax it then. I presume it isn't that simple anymore?
    So the seller gets me to sign and date log book, he or I posts that off so there is a record of date of sale, and within a week I should be able to see my name in the system online, but as I'm buying at a higher price, I can't afford to tax it till aug. Have I no choice? Seems I'd only declare it off road then would be declaring back on road within a few days?
    Am I right in thinking this is the only way to avoid paying back tax for July?

You can only declare it off the road for 3 months, so that might won't work for you.
    From the day you receive the logbook, you have 10 days to tax the car.
    So let's say the selling date will be towards middle of the month + a week until you receive the logbook+ 10 days should bring you into August.
    So it could work that way to tax the car from August on :)
    Did it like that myself one time and no hassle at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Not sure about that because I went into the tax office and told them I received the Logbook only now even though the car was sold 3weeks ago or so. And that was actually true. How could I tax within 10 days if I never receive the logbook :)
    She said it's alright, because you never now when the seller sends away the logbook.

It is 10 days from the date of sale.

Picking it up in a few hours, so 10 days from sale means ill have to pay an extra 95 on top of the €265 for three months tax in August. (95 being one month arrears). 😔
    I suppose we can start using straight away, but it does mean we've lost 12 days tax. Oh well, the joys of motoring eh! Least it's gonna be a great ride!

celica00 wrote: »
    Not sure about that because I went into the tax office and told them I received the Logbook only now even though the car was sold 3weeks ago or so. And that was actually true and not away to get around or something.
    She said it's alright, because you never now when the seller send away the logbook.

That's handy to know! If I can ill get him to give it to me and then ill post it in a week or so! Worth a go! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dgmongo

My car has been out of tax since June. I know how it works regarding the change of ownership of vehicles and that they don't need to be back taxed by the new owner.

Having only started a new job recently after being unemployed for 3 months, I'd like to avoid paying €550 for taxing my car for essentially only 2 months. If I were to 'sell' my car to a friend, wait for the registration cert to come back, have my friend tax the car, and then 'buy' the car back, would there be any repercussions other than raising suspicion in the tax office?

Also, would this mean hassle with my insurance company? Is it possible to have an insurance policy on a car that is owned by someone else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked a hundred times.

I bought a car tonight that has been declared off the road for the last 6 months.
    The owner sent off the logbook.

I'm anxious to tax it, but how... am i going to go about that?
    Can I just waltz into the tax office and say, 'hi, im the new owner... i have no logbook.. here the reg, take my money?'

I'd like very much to have the car legal for the weekend

cheers for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Redd4 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry if this has been asked a hundred times.

I bought a car tonight that has been declared off the road for the last 6 months.
    The owner sent off the logbook.

I'm anxious to tax it, but how... am i going to go about that?
    Can I just waltz into the tax office and say, 'hi, im the new owner... i have no logbook.. here the reg, take my money?'

I'd like very much to have the car legal for the weekend

cheers for reading

Just wait for the logbook to tax it and drive now. If you are a new owner and waiting on it you wont get done for no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

String wrote: »
    Just wait for the logbook to tax it and drive now. If you are a new owner and waiting on it you wont get done for no tax.

I thought the Garda could fine you and seize the car if tax is out 3 month or more?regardless if you just bought it or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Without asking how you got it from the previous owners to your residence.....

I'm afraid the only way to do it legally is to wait for the car to be put into your name. Check it every day on motortax.ie and then tax it online. You can't legally use the car in a public place without having it taxed and you need a disc displayed too. It wont be this weekend thanks to our stupid system.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

cheers.

I dont reckon the Gardai will crucify me if they meet me... it is a pity i cant do it legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

If I was to buy a car that hadn't been taxed by the previous owner since last october(it hasn't been declared off the road) would I be liable from the date of purchase or would the they look for me to back tax it? :confused:

Advertisement