Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See above

It does, the transfer has to be done in Shannon, but you can tax online shortly before you actually get the cert.
    you can track the change here

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d870ba5dddf9cc4eb69c85f537ebfc6351.e38PaNaSbhuOay0Lc3aNe0?page=welcome

OP edited to include this.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Hey lads, looking for info. I am thinking of buying a second car and the one I am looking at has not been taxed for about 3 months but has not been declared off the road. Would I have to pay the back tax if I buy this car or does the back tax bill disappear with change of ownership?

Moved to FAQs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are only liable for tax from the beginning of the month that ownership transfers to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJB23

I've agreed to sell my car and will be meeting the buyer tomorrow to complete the sale. However the tax is out of date since Dec '13 and has been off the road since (although not declared off the road). Can somebody advise if I'm liable to bring the arrears up to date or will the new owner need to back tax it?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The arrears will disappear once you sell the car and ownership transfers to the new owner. Neither you or the new owner will be liable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJB23

Thanks Bazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

I have just purchased a second hand car, private sale.

The car has no tax or NCT since about this time last year. The seller had registered the vehicle for non-use, however he could not find the relevant documentation to back this up...

I would like to get the car road legal asap. Insurance is sorted already. But I would like to get the car taxed then NCT'd as quickly as I can.

I have my VRC (log book) filled out and ready to go. The usual procedure, as far as I am aware, is to send this to Shannon, wait 2/3 weeks for the new VRC to come back and then carry on as normal. The usual procedure that I mention here is usually when the vehicle is taxed and NCT'd.

Do I have to follow the above procedure and wait the 2/3 weeks before I can tax (and drive) the car? If I were to present myself in the Motor Tax office with VRC & Insurance details, can I tax it there and then and send the VRC to Shannon after this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Thanks for moving my query to this FAQ thread.

Just to clarify, the car needs to be registered in my name before I can tax the car either online Or in person? So there is no point in taking a half day from work to sit around the tax office all day tomorrow I take it?

The first post above says that 'You can tax the car in the tax office using an RF100A form' - but just to confirm, this is NOT the case if the car is not yet registered under my name?? Is this correct?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

thudd wrote: »
    I have just purchased a second hand car, private sale.

The car has no tax or NCT since about this time last year. The seller had registered the vehicle for non-use, however he could not find the relevant documentation to back this up...

I would like to get the car road legal asap. Insurance is sorted already. But I would like to get the car taxed then NCT'd as quickly as I can.

I have my VRC (log book) filled out and ready to go. The usual procedure, as far as I am aware, is to send this to Shannon, wait 2/3 weeks for the new VRC to come back and then carry on as normal. The usual procedure that I mention here is usually when the vehicle is taxed and NCT'd.

Do I have to follow the above procedure and wait the 2/3 weeks before I can tax (and drive) the car? If I were to present myself in the Motor Tax office with VRC & Insurance details, can I tax it there and then and send the VRC to Shannon after this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You can bring the filled in ownership document to tax office, tax car and they will keep the document and send it off for you. Get new ownership cert in your name couple weeks after.

That's what I did recently. Tax office were fine with it.

D'oh. I wish I had checked back on this thread before posting the completed cert off to Shannon this morning. I have a photocopy of the cert but I suspect this won't suffice.

I guess I'll just wait til next week until I see the change made here: https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/ and then tax it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Can someone clarifythe following for me please: bought a car on April 1st (not a fools day joke) transfer of ownership only completed yesterday (may 1st) as I was not registered as the owner for that period until yesterday how do I go about declaring it off the road back to the day of purchase???as I am over the 10 day threshold. :confused:

do I just leave it untaxed and contact no one so or what???car is not in use at all,its garaged since purchase and even then it was transported on the back of a tow truck and it is by that method it will be landed on my private property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you leave it untaxed you will have to pay the back tax back to the month of purchase shold you tax it in the future...unless of course you chose to sell it in the meantime......

corktina wrote: »
    if you leave it untaxed you will have to pay the back tax back to the month of purchase shold you tax it in the future...unless of course you chose to sell it in the meantime......
    yeah I plan to do that alright ;) that aside,will I get any warnings/letters etc about it not being taxed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't think so

• Advertisement

They may send a "Final Reminder" about tax in a month or so. But those can be safely ignored.

The problems only start if you attempt to tax it.

Thanks fred and tina,that car will be lucky to see the road before 2015 at this stage with the exception of bringing it to the nct

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

Hi Guys.

I recently bought a vehicle that I previously owned(long story) before I sold it , it was off the road for about 4 months, I never got the SORN form to declare this.

My question is , when I go to Tax it, am I liable to pay them four months arrears ??

Cheers.

Has there been an owner on the book since?
    Ie was it in your name, then someone else, then you again?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Has there been an owner on the book since?

Hi

Yes .

You're only liable from the month of the start of your most recent ownership period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You're only liable from the month of the start of your most recent ownership period.
    Correct, or he may declare it off the road retrospectavly within ten days of becoming the registered owner

Cool.
    Thanks Guys.

Cheers guys.

Taxed the van there last week, NO Arrears to pay!
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Going to see a car later, NCT'ed but no road tax, not sure when it ran out, guy on phone said the tax would start when the new owner bought the car, presume it's been off the road but does anyone know if this would be correct, I thought they put a stop to all that 'not having to tax a vehicle if it's off the road' stuff

Advertisement