Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You're liable from. Date of purchase. Previous owner isn't held accountable for arrears. It's a gaping flaw in the process being widely abused by people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

MugMugs wrote: »
    You're liable from. Date of purchase. Previous owner isn't held accountable for arrears. It's a gaping flaw in the process being widely abused by people
    That's grand so. Cheers.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

MugMugs wrote: »

Its a flaw? And if someone had the car off the road and didn't happen to Sord it? Who is at a loss? No one as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

UrbanFret wrote: »
    If I was to buy a car that hadn't been taxed by the previous owner since last october(it hasn't been declared off the road) would I be liable from the date of purchase or would the they look for me to back tax it? :confused:

Ensure it's taxed before you move it and that it has an NCT. You won't even be able to tow it it'll need to be put on a trailer.

Ensure it's taxed before you move it and that it has an NCT. You won't even be able to tow it it'll need to be put on a trailer.
    Are you serious ? I was just going to switch my insurance and drive it home same as I've always done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Are you serious ? I was just going to switch my insurance and drive it home same as I've always done.

If ya get caught it's no tax and no NCT (assuming no NCT) and points galore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

There has been no mention of no nct, Irish solution to an Irish problem, new owner should be liable only from time of purchase, if there isn't, there should be a reasonable allowance back dated to the day of purchase, any seller would be foolish to put anything other than the actual date, what's a buyer to do? Buy it potentially anywhere in the country and then return a week later or whenever change of ownership gets to their door?

Surely it would be a bit harsh to expect me to have it taxed as soon as I buy it. I take it I would be expected to Tax it from the 1st day of the month of purchase which is fair enough. There is a nct cert so I reckon I'll take my chances.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cerastes wrote: »
    Its a flaw? And if someone had the car off the road and didn't happen to Sord it? Who is at a loss? No one as far as I can see.

and if it wsn't off the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Surely it would be a bit harsh to expect me to have it taxed as soon as I buy it. I take it I would be expected to Tax it from the 1st day of the month of purchase which is fair enough. There is a nct cert so I reckon I'll take my chances.;)

the strict letter of the Law is that it has to be taxed/NCTd and Insured if on the road. However it would be an unlucky day if you were booked on your way home with it...it's not likely. Just be aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

cerastes wrote: »
    Its a flaw?

Tis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

If I buy a used car with Motor Tax that's been out of date for several months, will I be liable for the Back-Dated Tax ? The car has been in storage but has not been officially declared off the road so the Tax has in effect been overdue by the current owner. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Redtop wrote: »
    If I buy a used car with Motor Tax that's been out of date for several months, will I be liable for the Back-Dated Tax ? The car has been in storage but has not been officially declared off the road so the Tax has in effect been overdue by the current owner. Thanks

Not definitely sure on how it is in Ireland. But almost sure I read here before that you only pay for tax from the date you purchased the vehicle. And that if you buy today for example. The tax will run till end of April next year as it starts from the next month once the current month has started on purchase date.

Perhaps someone can confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Not definitely sure on how it is in Ireland. But almost sure I read here before that you only pay for tax from the date you purchased the vehicle. And that if you buy today for example. The tax will run till end of April next year as it starts from the next month once the current month has started on purchase date.

Almost, you are liable for the month you got the car. So buying today and taxing for 12 months would run from March 1st to February 28th 2016. You are not liable for back tax before buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Ghost.

Unfortunately you would be taxed from the month in which you bought the car including that mont, even if you didn't have the log book back until April.
    So if you bought a car now you would have to pay a full years tax until end of march next year. Not the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Ghost. wrote: »
    Unfortunately you would be taxed from the month in which you bought the car including that mont, even if you didn't have the log book back until April.
    So if you bought a car now you would have to pay a full years tax until end of march next year. Not the end of April.

That doesn't seem fair. I'd be trying to hold out for another 10 days before buying depending on the car model and it's tax band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

That doesn't seem fair. I'd be trying to hold out for another 10 days before buying depending on the car model and it's tax band.

Wouldn't need to, once you purchase a car you have a week to declare it for non use, which can be done before the vlc even comes back. You can pre-empt the end of the period of non use as the 1st of April or whenever and then tax away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Very quick one here - looking to buy a new car in the next week and will be selling my own. Currently the tax is out since end of February, and it hasn't been used in a few weeks bar driving to the garage for some (alas failed) repairs.

I owe arrears for March and April. How do I go about paying these? Do I have to fork out to tax the car until end May (June now, once I do it before 30th), or can I just sell the car and settle up with Shannon afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New owner will pay tax from the month they get it. They nor you won't be caught for arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New owner will pay tax from the month they get it. They nor you won't be caught for arrears.

Cheers, so presuming I won't be using it again I can bin the letter from Revenue with the large red "YOU MAY BE PROSECUTED" nonsense?

• Advertisement

Well, you may be prosecuted if you get caught driving it. But, yeah - be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We bought a second hand car this wknd and my husband picked it up and there is no nct cert with it. I'll be on the phone first thing in the morning anyway but we definitely should have this yes? There is an nct with it, I've done the motorcheck thing so I'm hoping it's just an oversight on the garages part.
    Also; there is no tax on it, but am I right in thinking I can't do the tax until I get the log book back? Are guards sympathetic to this as I commute and have no other option.

You can check whether the change of ownership has been processed on motortax.ie
    Once it has been done you can request a pin reminder which will be sent to the email address you out in the reg cert. you can then tax it online

Gardai are under no obligation to let you off, but in most cases they won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

i think the nct is your responsibility as far as im aware- the tax isnt done until you have the log book- you should have gotten something from the garage to put on the dash to reflect this.

daithi

The slip for the windscreen went out in the mid 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Sorry if asked before however:

I have recently agreed to purchase a used car but the tax is out of date. Is it possible to arrange for the tax to be paid and be effective of the date of purchase?

As far as I understand it can take a day in order to become effective?

Cheers for any help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sorry if asked before however:

I have recently agreed to purchase a used car but the tax is out of date. Is it possible to arrange for the tax to be paid and be effective of the date of purchase?

As far as I understand it can take a day in order to become effective?

Cheers for any help!!

You won't have to back tax it. You only become liable from the month of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Ok great, thanks!

Do you know if it is possible to pay for the tax and have the car available for use immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Ok great, thanks!

Do you know if it is possible to pay for the tax and have the car available for use immediately?

the current registered owner can tax the car prior to you buying it provided they have valid insurance,i done this a few years ago,car was taxed and I bought it 10 minutes later,was the car declared off the road for the purposes of not paying any back tax???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement