Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Declare it off the road, don't drive it till November, tax it in November

Or

Tax it now.

Tax would start from 1st October and run till end of December.

Any seller worth half a brain won't give the buyer the vehicle registration cert to take away, they would post it off ASAP themselves.

min 3 months to declare off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not if you've just bought it.

Issue here is that you can't drive it till November.

Did you end up getting a 325i?

Not if you've just bought it.

Issue here is that you can't drive it till November.

Did you end up getting a 325i?

no went with a 523i.... different beast, just as thirsty:cool:

is it hassle to get it back on the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No. You need to tax it manually in the tax office though.

If it were me I'd just tax it now.

No. You need to tax it manually in the tax office though.

If it were me I'd just tax it now.

Yea but its a kick in the stones to pay for 10 days of oct. Will see if the owner will guve me log book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

min 3 months to declare off the road?
    You don't have to keep it off the road for all that time. You can put it back on the road anytime you want by simply taxing the car.
    You have 21 days from the date of transfer of ownership to declare the car off the road from the 1st of Oct.

So basically make sure the seller sends of the VLC quickly then keep checking Motortax.ie to see if the car has changed owners. Many dealers can register the change of ownership online so you should be able to see this the following day.
    You can then either request a PIN and do an online declaration or declare at the Motor Tax office.
    This will allow you to tax the car from Nov. Make sure to keep the car off the road until you've taxed it otherwise you run the risk of a fine if found driving.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q11
    Q14. I’ve just bought a vehicle – how can I make a declaration that I intend to keep it off the road for a while?
    A14. If you have just bought a new vehicle or just acquired a second hand one and do not intend to use it immediately, you will have twenty one days from the date of purchase (as specified in the registration document or the notification of transfer of vehicle ownership) to furnish a declaration of non-use. In that case, the declaration will commence from the first day of the month in which the sale takes place, or the first day of the month of registration in the case of new vehicles.
    Make sure you notify the seller that you are intending to declare the vehicle off the road and that you need him or her to ensure that the change of ownership is notified to the National Vehicle and Driver File as soon as possible.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You don't have to keep it off the road for all that time. You can put it back on the road anytime you want by simply taxing the car.
    You have 21 days from the date of transfer of ownership to declare the car off the road from the 1st of Oct.

So basically make sure the seller sends of the VLC quickly then keep checking Motortax.ie to see if the car has changed owners. Many dealers can register the change of ownership online so you should be able to see this the following day.
    You can then either request a PIN and do an online declaration or declare at the Motor Tax office.
    This will allow you to tax the car from Nov. Make sure to keep the car off the road until you've taxed it otherwise you run the risk of a fine if found driving.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QA-DeclaringaVehicleOffTheRoad/#Q11

thanks for that
    will try this..

Advertisement