Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Revis is a Patriot. 1 year deal 12M.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

RIP Rest of AFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

thats terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

AFC is now New England's to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Big statement by NE. They've just acquired, imo, the best player in the NFL pound for pound. Huge, huge deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eric Decker gone to the Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Great acquisition by the Patriots there. I must confess that I am not particularly a fan of these 1 year deals but I guess it's such a win now league there's no avoiding them. Can you franchise tag a player on a one-year deal?

Edit: How does this money impact the ability to sign others? (thinking of Edelman in particular here)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Tristram wrote: »
    Can you franchise tag a player on a one-year deal?

Unless a special provision has been made in the contract, which is very unlikely. There should be no reason preventing us from tagging Revis next year if we need to. In fact, we could keep tagging Revis and still end up paying less than his original deal with the Buccs.

Edit: How does this money impact the ability to sign others? (thinking of Edelman in particular here)

To facilitate Edelman, We expect some contract restructuring to follow with Wilfork being top of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Unless a special provision has been made in the contract, which is very unlikely. There should be no reason preventing us from tagging Revis next year if we need to. In fact, we could keep tagging Revis and still end up paying less than his original deal with the Buccs.

Thanks Corvus. That's exactly the reason why I asked :D Could end up being a strange one farther down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks Corvus. That's exactly the reason why I asked :D Could end up being a strange one farther down the line.

I still can't believe we signed Revis. He signed a 6 year deal with the Buccs in 2013 for $96 or $16 million a year. We get Revis for 1 year @ $12 million and could tag him next year for significantly less than the $16 million per year the Buccs were willing to pay. It's a great piece business by the Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Keno wrote: »
    RIP Rest of AFC.

I still think Denver are the dominant team in the AFC but damn this is harsh. I thought we'd be ready for the Pats next year... finally, but they've found another gear.

I think that makes it 20th gear now :D:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I still can't believe we signed Revis. He signed a 6 year deal with the Buccs in 2013 for $96 or $16 million a year. We get Revis for 1 year @ $12 million and could tag him next year for significantly less than the $16 million per year the Buccs were willing to pay. It's a great piece business by the Pats.

A lot of that is because of who you are. No other team wouldve got this deal, even if the Devil himself were the GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Piece of good fortune for the Raiders IMO. Saffold failed his medical so won't be signed. Horrible horrible deal so think the Raiders dodged a bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Revis is only in for the one year because next year we will be signing Richard Sherman ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kryogen wrote: »
    Revis is only in for the one year because next year we will be signing Richard Sherman ;)

tbh.. i am massively intersted to see A) what type of money he gets offered by the Hawks B) what type of money he would get in FA

I think he'll blow the Revis money out of the water

tbh.. i am massively intersted to see A) what type of money he gets offered by the Hawks B) what type of money he would get in FA

I think he'll blow the Revis money out of the water

If he plays to the same level again you can be sure of it, Hawks wont be able to keep all their stars anyway thats for sure. Wilson will be looking for big money too in 2016 is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

I don't think he will b looking for a contract like that the guy loves Seattle and his lob I think he will want a big deal but I think it will be far more reasonable than people think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

kryogen wrote: »
    If he plays to the same level again you can be sure of it, Hawks wont be able to keep all their stars anyway thats for sure. Wilson will be looking for big money too in 2016 is it?

Yep! They built a great roster through the draft (got lucky with the Wilson pick IMO) and then added some great veteran FA's to compliment the roster! But over the next 2 years they're gonna have a lot of free agents that are going to be coveted by other teams so they can't keep them all!

nerd69 wrote: »
    I don't think he will b looking for a contract like that the guy loves Seattle and his lob I think he will want a big deal but I think it will be far more reasonable than people think

The LOB is in its last year or two if you ask me, too much talent there to keep them together when it comes to pay day, loving Seattle or not the big bucks will have a say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

nerd69 wrote: »

Shermans current contract was 4 years for $2.2 million! Unbelievable value for the second best CB in the NFL! He is going to demand big money in the next offseason! There will be no home town discount there!

• Advertisement

Exactly, he will feel he has, and I agree with him, earned the big pay day after putting in such an effort on the rookie deal, that and his clever way of ensuring he has a high profile all points to a very big contract. Wilson contract is less then $3m too so they will have that to consider a little further down the line, he will expect to be paid. Kam Chancellor has already been signed up iirc so that takes one big headache away, Earl Thomas will need to be looked at again, Browner will be a bit different because of his age and Im not even sure what the story is with him regarding a ban or whatever is happening there, I know he has been re instated by the NFL anyway but Byron Maxwell will need to be addressed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Tremendous signing by the Pats and an upgrade on Talib.

My only regret is that the Broncos signed Talib before Revis was cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

On the Revis thing, always funny to see how these things turn out. I remember the Jets got slaughtered for trading him. Now it will go down as one of the worst trades ever from the bucs side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Decker to the Jets?.......I hope they threw a tonne of money at him.....switching from Manning to Geno Smith.....his numbers are going to take a hit (unless the Jets have a new QB that they're keeping under-wraps.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Decker to the Jets?.......I hope they threw a tonne of money at him.....switching from Manning to Geno Smith.....his numbers are going to take a hit (unless the Jets have a new QB that they're keeping under-wraps.)

The contract details are Decker receiving a 5 year contract for 36.25 million dollars with 15 million guaranteed. Considering what many anticipated him receiving on the open market, his production, age and the current state of the Jets wide receivers…that is an excellent contract by John "The Ninja" Idzik.

Happy with this signing. I am not going to pretend we just got Megatron, but Decker is a significant upgrade over anyone we had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

apparently sproles just got traded to philly for a 5 round pick, great deal for the eagles. he should thrive in Chip Kellys system

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Balls. Last thing I want is the Eagles with another weapon. He could really make them formidable. McCoy, DeSean, Sproles, an improved Cooper and a healthy Maclin. That's an absolute headache to defend.

Also, Ian Rappaport is saying on NFL AM that Nicks to Panthers is almost done.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Corners getting seriously paid.

Haden will get a big contract very shortly.
    Sherman should hold out imo. He's the face of a SB winning franchise and he'll be getting paid 500k this season. His career could be over in the first quarter of week 1 this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans are bringing in the below for visits

Justin Tuck
    Woodley
    Pat Sims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Knex. wrote: »
    Balls. Last thing I want is the Eagles with another weapon. He could really make them formidable. McCoy, DeSean, Sproles, an improved Cooper and a healthy Maclin. That's an absolute headache to defend.

Also, Ian Rappaport is saying on NFL AM that Nicks to Panthers is almost done.

Will be really interesting to see what the Panthers pay Nicks. He deserves about 2M on current production but I imagine he will get a lot more.

Advertisement