Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

For all digiweb customers;

I ran digiweb tech support and i was told that if the cabinet is enabled then you modem will pick up the new max attainable speed, its just the matter of calling tech support and getting the new profile.

They weren't too sure about it, but i was put on hold and then the guy came back and confirmed everything.

G.Vecter will enable when the cabinet is enable, so according to tech support when the cab is vector enable our modems will pick it up.

Today i have noticed that my SNR nearly halfed. went from 10 down to 6. But no speed increases yet.

For everyone else, im 550-600m from the cabinet and without vecting i can get 60 down and 16.89 up. Tech support just changed the profile and thats what i got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

In your snr is dropping that isn't good. If it drops below 6.5 you're gone..... In bb terms that is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

jca wrote: »
    In your snr is dropping that isn't good. If it drops below 6.5 you're gone..... In bb terms that is!!

Below 6.0 actually. Mine's always between 6.0 to 6.8, though, some people have reported theirs to be working at 2.0 or 3.0.

Below 6.0 actually. Mine's always between 6.0 to 6.8, though, some people have reported theirs to be working at 2.0 or 3.0.

Sorry 6.0..... Great to be perfect eh? There's no way a connection could be stable at 2-3 snr, not for vdsl anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Sure it's not attenuation you're looking at? That might go down after vectoring is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

GLCC wrote: »
    Thanks allen175. Will give eircom another buzz later so.

Lads,

Rang another eircom tech earlier and my line has now be upgraded to 100Mbps. Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

jca wrote: »
    Sorry 6.0..... Great to be perfect eh?

How come whenever someone corrects your inaccurate information, you accuse them of trying to be prefect? I seen your post on the VDSL stats thread where you got a ban for saying something similar.

By posting false information, you could cause unnecessary concern, which would then tie-up customer support.
    There's no way a connection could be stable at 2-3 snr, not for vdsl anyway.

I'm only going by other peoples' testimonies. For me, mine drops out when it goes below 6.0.

An error (in your opinion) of 0.5 in all fairness is hardly "misleading" information. Giving anecdotal information of "people" having a successful bb connection with an snr value of between 2.0 and 3.0 is certainly misleading,when,by your own admission the connection fails when the snr value drops below 6.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Sure it's not attenuation you're looking at? That might go down after vectoring is enabled.

Attenuation stays the same after vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

crawler wrote: »
    Thoughts on vectoring...

ALL cabinets will be completed by next week.

I am guessing most people will then be bulk upgraded in the coming weeks by their ISPs

People could still call and have it done manually although the prequal result will dictate the max profile.

The current max profile is 100/20 regardless of what your modulator/deomodulator tells you :) And in fact, I'd always that that with a pinch of salt anyway...

I'd say by end April anyone who can benefit (and not everyone will!) from vectoring will be on a new profile.

New.provides will be profiled by updated prequals, existing lines may not be changed automatically as it would wipe any profiles that were changed by support staff. Prequals aren't 100% reliable, though its been mentioned that vdsl ones are more accurate than dsl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

It seems that I'm wedged between two profiles. It's a technical issue that should solve with an update to eircom systems in the next day or so. Though only 190m from the cab I was having difficulty with high attenuation and poor SNR at the higher profiles.
    I was able to have my connection set at 85/20 'till the wee problems sorted.

Latest update gives -

3397750809.png

With the temp profile Stats are now showing as -

======================================================
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.540 Mbps 87.211 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 87.041 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 9.2 dB 12.2 dB
    Actual Delay: 5 ms 6 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.9 dBm 12.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.7 dBm -2.0 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 2.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.7 dB 14.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 23.344 Mbps 111.980 Mbps
    It should be able to sync at 100/20

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

PeadarB wrote: »
    It seems that I'm wedged between two profiles. It's a technical issue that should solve with an update to eircom systems in the next day or so. Though only 190m from the cab I was having difficulty with high attenuation and poor SNR at the higher profiles.
    I was able to have my connection set at 85/20 'till the wee problems sorted.

Latest update gives -

3397750809.png

With the temp profile Stats are now showing as -

Line Rate: 20.540 Mbps 87.211 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 87.041 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 9.2 dB 12.2 dB
    Actual Delay: 5 ms 6 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.9 dBm 12.3 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.7 dBm -2.0 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 2.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 10.7 dB 14.4 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 23.344 Mbps 111.980 Mbps
    It should be able to sync at 100/20

Still no sign of vectoring I'm pretty sure I'm on the same cab as you as well I'm up long Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

My stats - does anyone know if I can get upgraded. Also will this happen automatically

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 1 day: 12 hours: 50 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 6.8 dB 25.3 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -23.7 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -27.0 dBm 9.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 3.1 dB 5.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.915 Mbps 144.720 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

kranbo wrote: »
    My stats - does anyone know if I can get upgraded. Also will this happen automatically

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 1 day: 12 hours: 50 minutes
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 6.8 dB 25.3 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -23.7 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -27.0 dBm 9.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 3.1 dB 5.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 25.915 Mbps 144.720 Mbps

yes you can get vectoring but no it wont be automatic call eircom tech support and ask them to put you on a higher vectoring profile

jimmad wrote: »
    Still no sign of vectoring I'm pretty sure I'm on the same cab as you as well I'm up long Lane

your getting 87mb you are on a 90mb/20mb vectoring profile - 100mb/20mb is not possible on your line - too far from cab for 100mb/20mb

anything below 7.0db will have high packet loss + more frequent drops in sync

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Hi Jimmad,
    I'm opposite Gormley's here. I think you need to contact your ISP and request to be put on the new vectored profile. Your SNR is on the limit at 6 Tx/Rx, though with vectoring this will improve somewhat. Your getting 58/18 at the minute if my interpretation is correct - no expert.
    BK posted an extract from Eircom's most recent NGA Technical Handbook which gives the various profiles available. These should apply to all the vendors, Attenuation, though important, is not an exact science with these new set-ups. Mine is very misleading as it shows quite high, even though I'm just up the road from the cab at Binnion. I put it down to quality of the copper to the house/poor connections rather than distance to the cab. I've been kept on the high stability (evision) profile at 85/20 though when I move back to the rate adaptive profile I'm assured of 100/20. My stats have jumped all over the shop as I moved from profile to profile since last May so I would not be too concerned just yet.

crawler wrote: »
    Thoughts on vectoring...

ALL cabinets will be completed by next week.

I am guessing most people will then be bulk upgraded in the coming weeks by their ISPs

People could still call and have it done manually although the prequal result will dictate the max profile.

The current max profile is 100/20 regardless of what your modulator/deomodulator tells you :) And in fact, I'd always that that with a pinch of salt anyway...

I'd say by end April anyone who can benefit (and not everyone will!) from vectoring will be on a new profile.

the max attainable will be the highest possible speed the modem can sync at but it will be unstable.

the max profile for non tv customers is 100mb/20mb but you'll only get that on a clean line with a cab 150m or less

90mb/20mb is the next speed upto 250m

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

If ur on long lane, im guessing your connected to the manor view cabinet. I contacted digiweb today and they put me on the 70/20 profile even tho vectoring hasn't been enabled for me yet.

new%20settings.PNG

I know the attentuation is high and the SNR is low. i have been using this for 8.5 hours now and still no disconnects or errors. on speedtest im getting 60 down and 17 up

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3398034915

Right click on image and open in a new tab if u cant see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Are these the right readings? Am i ready for vectoring?

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 40959
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 10239
    Downstream SNR (dB) 5.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 17.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 6.6
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 14.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 9.3
    Downstream CRC 390
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 2552606
    Upstream FEC 2743

• Advertisement

Are these the right readings? Am i ready for vectoring?

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 40959
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 10239
    Downstream SNR (dB) 5.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 17.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 6.6
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 14.5
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 9.3
    Downstream CRC 390
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 2552606
    Upstream FEC 2743

no if anything 40mb is too high for your line... you probably get lots of sync drops and high packet loss

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

PeadarB wrote: »
    Hi Jimmad,
    I'm opposite Gormley's here. I think you need to contact your ISP and request to be put on the new vectored profile. Your SNR is on the limit at 6 Tx/Rx, though with vectoring this will improve somewhat. Your getting 58/18 at the minute if my interpretation is correct - no expert.
    BK posted an extract from Eircom's most recent NGA Technical Handbook which gives the various profiles available. These should apply to all the vendors, Attenuation, though important, is not an exact science with these new set-ups. Mine is very misleading as it shows quite high, even though I'm just up the road from the cab at Binnion. I put it down to quality of the copper to the house/poor connections rather than distance to the cab. I've been kept on the high stability (evision) profile at 85/20 though when I move back to the rate adaptive profile I'm assured of 100/20. My stats have jumped all over the shop as I moved from profile to profile since last May so I would not be too concerned just yet.
    It's recently dropped to 58/18 alright was getting 61/20. I could be on a different cab I guess, but the eircom tech at the time it was installed said I was connected to Binnion ave cab. wait and see I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

After switching profile first thing on Wednesday morning, there was no improvement in speed tests... I tested many many times....
    Tested again in the early hours (3:50 am Thursday morning), and still no improvements... at this time of the morning traffic/crosstalk is not an issue....

However... after resetting the modem...

Current: (after vectoring):
    3398574873.png

Previous: (before vectoring):
    3354475045.png

Here's the complete story... might help others...
    • I noticed a substantial increase in the: Attainable Net Data Rate
    • I contacted Eircom (by phone) and asked to be moved to higher profile... this took two calls as the first guy couldn't do it...
    • Waited for the Line Rate in the xDSL Statistics to update... then started testing... no improvement in speed tests...
    • Restarted the modem as a last resort and up came the new improved speed tests...
    Info: Distance from the Cabinet: Approximately 175 meters (actual cable route not as the crow flies)...
    • Download Speed Test Increase: ~20 Mbps...
    • Upload Speed Test Increase: Apparently this is not affected, even so, every test this morning reach 19 Mbps...
    • Total Attenuation Increase: 0.8 dB (from 10.3 dB to 11.1 dB)...
    • SNR Margin: Up: was 8.5 now 8.9 dB - Dn: was 9.1 now 13.6 dB...
    • Current Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.338 Mbps - 134 Mbps Previous: 28.429 Mbps - 97.208 Mbps

Just to note, Attainable Net Data Rate is now down to 128.608 Mbps... what happened to my other 6 Mbps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭swoofer

at last a perfect post about vectoring, all that is missing is location but its probably dublin.

At 175 metres it may go higher.

The upgrade gives an increase of 27.7753% = good.

We should have a separate thread for posts like this, would make it easier to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm now unsure if this is vectored or not, quite far from the cabinet (about 700m)
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 0 hour: 8 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.297 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.5 dB           13.4 dB
                Actual Delay:          4 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        7.1 dBm          10.0 dBm
               Receive Power:      -14.3 dBm          -9.2 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       21.5 dB           19.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     28.277 Mbps       70.276 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.8    46.3     N/A    15.6    39.1    60.8   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  5.9    30.1    45.9     N/A    12.6    38.8    60.9   
            SNR Margin(dB): 19.1    18.0    18.8     N/A    13.4    13.4    13.5   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 8.6     0.3     6.0     N/A     3.3     7.8     2.9   

EDIT:
    From old post :)
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 5 hours: 56 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.298 Mbps       41.116 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.238 Mbps       40.956 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:       18.9 dB           13.9 dB
                Actual Delay:          7 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        6.2 dBm           9.7 dBm
               Receive Power:      -13.1 dBm         -12.6 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       19.2 dB           22.3 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     25.835 Mbps       67.816 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  6.0    31.7    47.8     N/A    16.0    40.3    62.6   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  6.0    31.0    45.5     N/A    16.0    40.3    62.7   
            SNR Margin(dB): 18.7    18.6    19.1     N/A    13.9    13.9    13.9   
       Transmit Power(dBm):- 7.2     1.0     4.3     N/A     3.3     7.7     1.2   

It doesn't look like very much has changed.
    Could vectoring have that little impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

@swoofer ... Location = Dublin (west)... and there may be more room for improvement as I can ask for the next profile....

Speaking of which... one of the measurements (or a combination) must indicate the quality of the current connection/profile...
    For example, the SNR Margin... assume the higher the better? Any engineering types out there got a definitive answer?

@SpaceTime, if you haven't monitored the Attainable Net Data Rate prior to all this talk about vectoring, you can still make the phone call and ask... it just depends on who you talk to... as yet not everyone on the other end of the line is clued in...

@swoofer ... Location = Dublin (west)...

@SpaceTime, if you haven't monitored the Attainable Net Data Rate prior to all this talk about vectoring, you can still make the phone call and ask... it just depends on who you talk to... as yet not everyone on the other end of the line is clued in...

Updated post above by finding an old post I made back when the service launched first.

Doesn't look dramatically different, slight improvement in speeds, but that could be something other than vectoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd say you're not enabled yet. I'm outside Cork city and still no sign of it.

I'd say you're not enabled yet. I'm outside Cork city and still no sign of it.

We're in the Wellington Road exchange area.

Given the distance to the cabinet though, I'm not really expecting a major boost in speed.

We're in a very old area, so the wiring routes would probably date back to the dawn of telecommunications :) At least there were PCP cabinets in place though. It's just that we're between two of them and almost equidistant.

There was a fairly big refurbishment of wiring done in the late 1990s though and everything's underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Tonio

Some possible signs of vectoring being enabled in Midleton. My SNR has been around 10 down and 6 up since I was connected to VDSL in October. In the last few days I noticed that SNR readings are now 22 down and 10 up. I am with Vodafone and approx 350 to 400m from the cabinet. I have been on a 50/20 profile since day one and usually get 46/18 when I check the speed.

Advertisement