Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When might Eircom to enable vectoring on their eFibre/VDSL service?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tonio wrote: »
    Some possible signs of vectoring being enabled in Midleton. My SNR has been around 10 down and 6 up since I was connected to VDSL in October. In the last few days I noticed that SNR readings are now 22 down and 10 up. I am with Vodafone and approx 350 to 400m from the cabinet. I have been on a 50/20 profile since day one and usually get 46/18 when I check the speed.

Its logarithmic so 22 is a lot better than 10. Every 3dB is a doubling of the "quality" of the signal. Check your attainables, should be quite a bit higher than 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

GLCC wrote: »
    Lads,

Rang another eircom tech earlier and my line has now be upgraded to 100Mbps. Happy Days.

lads,

although I have seen a huge increase in download speed on a fixed line ( now at about 90Mbps ) I have not seen any dramatic increase in wireless speed. Have tried 2 different ipads and a laptop and getting max 30Mbps down. Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

lads,

although I have seen a huge increase in download speed on a fixed line ( now at about 90Mbps ) I have not seen any dramatic increase in wireless speed. Have tried 2 different ipads and a laptop and getting max 30Mbps down. Any suggestions ?

Get a decent WiFi access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

lads,

Wireless has different speeds, so it all depends on the devices involved:
    1. The Router
    2. Anything connecting to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    ============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 15 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.549 Mbps 87.211 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 87.041 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.0 dB 13.3 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 6 ms
    Transmit Power: -13.7 dBm 11.2 dBm
    Receive Power: -24.7 dBm -2.8 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 2.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 11.0 dB 14.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.024 Mbps 116.800 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.3 13.5 18.6 N/A 8.5 18.1 28.2
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.3 13.1 17.5 N/A 7.3 18.0 28.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 11.1 11.0 11.0 N/A 13.2 13.3 13.3
    Transmit Power(dBm):-25.0 -15.9 -18.6 N/A 3.4 8.1 6.8
    ====================================================================================================================

Something that I think you guys should know. Its been couple of weeks now since my vectoring upgrade but i still don't see any changes. While technically i did get an upgrade, i am still getting the same speeds of 70mb-down/20mb up that i used to get before. Wired or wireless it does not matter regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

SpaceTime wrote: »
    We're in the Wellington Road exchange area.

Given the distance to the cabinet though, I'm not really expecting a major boost in speed.

We're in a very old area, so the wiring routes would probably date back to the dawn of telecommunications :) At least there were PCP cabinets in place though. It's just that we're between two of them and almost equidistant.

There was a fairly big refurbishment of wiring done in the late 1990s though and everything's underground.

Vectoring seems to be giving impressive improvements so far. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

@bloodyhawk, did you ring them?? you stats says "Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 87.041 Mbps"

are you using speedtest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

Is Eircom enabling vectoring on eFibre and upgrading all their packages? Have any Eircom business eFibre users been upgraded yet?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

@swoofer

I am actually using the samknows whitebox to measure my broadband speed because its more accurate, but yes I have also tried speedtest.net it gives me the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Tonio

ED E wrote: »
    Its logarithmic so 22 is a lot better than 10. Every 3dB is a doubling of the "quality" of the signal. Check your attainables, should be quite a bit higher than 50.

Just checked. My attainable is now 111 Mb down and 30 Mb up. What would you say is the correct profile for the line post vectoring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tonio wrote: »
    Just checked. My attainable is now 111 Mb down and 30 Mb up. What would you say is the correct profile for the line post vectoring?

That sounds like its vectored. Start it with 100 and if its unstable then it could be dropped to 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

how does Vodafone customers find the max attainable speeds. I checked everywhere on that Vodafone modem and cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Tonio

GIMickey wrote: »
    how does Vodafone customers find the max attainable speeds. I checked everywhere on that Vodafone modem and cant see it.

I followed the guide in the first post on the 'Bridging the Vodafone HG658c' thread. You need to display all menus and then you should see it in the line stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

GIMickey wrote: »
    Using firefox login to the router( might have to use user/pwd admin/admin1234 ), open the page in WAN that shows the speeds, right click "Inspect element" on one of the elements of the table, like download speed or whatever and i think its the top 2 "display=none", change them to just "" and you'll see the attainable speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

jmcc wrote: »
    Is Eircom enabling vectoring on eFibre and upgrading all their packages? Have any Eircom business eFibre users been upgraded yet?

Regards...jmcc

yes but you need to call in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roc13x

Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 5 minutes
    Line Rate: 10.297 Mbps 41.055 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 10.239 Mbps 40.955 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 9.0 dB 7.2 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: 9.0 dBm 10.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.4 dBm -6.8 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.4 dB 17.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 15.013 Mbps 49.584 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 5.9 35.8 59.4 N/A 16.4 47.6 75.8
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.9 34.9 61.9 N/A 13.0 47.1 N/A
    SNR Margin(dB): 9.6 8.8 9.1 N/A 6.9 6.9 N/A
    Transmit Power(dBm):- 0.6 6.1 4.7 N/A 6.1 7.9 N/A

I'm on a 40mb profile at the moment. Any chance of seeing an improvement if I call? I'm not sure if vectoring was switched on here yet (Tralee)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Seems to have been a lot of activity with Eircom/KN Vans around Carlow town recently. Wonder is this just people getting Fibre or Vectoring being activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Vectoring involves a physical card update if not up to spec (on initial installed cabs cards weren't up to spec, all cabs are up to spec now)

vectoring is switched on by means of a software update to the hardware in the cab (done remotely)

bar the test cabs, other cabs won't be enabled until April with a couple of hundred a day updated

roc13x wrote: »
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 0 hour: 5 minutes
    Line Rate: 10.297 Mbps 41.055 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 10.239 Mbps 40.955 Mbps
    SNR Margin: 9.0 dB 7.2 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: 9.0 dBm 10.1 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.4 dBm -6.8 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.4 dB 17.0 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 15.013 Mbps 49.584 Mbps
    Line Attenuation(dB): 5.9 35.8 59.4 N/A 16.4 47.6 75.8
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 5.9 34.9 61.9 N/A 13.0 47.1 N/A
    SNR Margin(dB): 9.6 8.8 9.1 N/A 6.9 6.9 N/A
    Transmit Power(dBm):- 0.6 6.1 4.7 N/A 6.1 7.9 N/A

I'm on a 40mb profile at the moment. Any chance of seeing an improvement if I call? I'm not sure if vectoring was switched on here yet (Tralee)

No you're about as good as you will do there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Just to clarify, my cab is upgraded, if I ring eircome, I can get a speed boost free upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

@ kaahooters

Yes, if your on the 70mb unlimited package, then it is a free upgrade. But for example if ur only paying for 50mb package then they wont upgrade for free.

Saying that, if currently ur line only supports 40mb out of the 50mb, then they will upgrade you to 50mb from free.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

arctan wrote: »
    Vectoring involves a physical card update if not up to spec (on initial installed cabs cards weren't up to spec, all cabs are up to spec now)

vectoring is switched on by means of a software update to the hardware in the cab (done remotely)

bar the test cabs, other cabs won't be enabled until April with a couple of hundred a day updated

vectoring is all software based. the cabs when installed already have the hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

AS far as i know vectoring has been enabled on all exchanges around country.
    I don know if cabinet must be enabled as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    I am currently with vodafone fibre, do i need to contact them (which i dread) to activate vectoring from their end, or is it applied automatically when the cab is ready, i am currently on 70Mb dl and getting 46Mb at the pc, and about 600m from the cab, can i expect an increase in speed nearer to what i am paying for if i get vectoring sorted.
    many thanks in advance,

apophis :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So I've heard that the mass enabling of vectoring on all cabs starts tomorrow and should be complete in about two weeks time.

They will be enabling hundreds of cabs per night.

To be honest I wouldn't bother ringing Eircom to upgrade your profile. I expect Eircom will automatically upgrade all profiles in a few weeks time once the vectoring is enabled on a ll cabs.

bk wrote: »
    So I've heard that the mass enabling of vectoring on all cabs starts tomorrow and should be complete in about two weeks time.

Good to hear!
    To be honest I wouldn't bother ringing Eircom to upgrade your profile. I expect Eircom will automatically upgrade all profiles in a few weeks time once the vectoring is enabled on a ll cabs.

Depends on your current package.. If you're already paying for up to 70, then yes, definitely wait and see what happens.

If you're paying for a smaller package - up to 50 for example and you're actually getting 50...I think you'll need to make that call and up your package to the 70 one for the increased speeds.

Either way, I'd hold off for a week or two until you know for sure when vectoring is all done and dusted.

Great news. So far the initial results of vectoring appear to be extremely impressive. Very much looking forward to seeing what it does overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mickalus wrote: »
    Good to hear!

Depends on your current package.. If you're already paying for up to 70, then yes, definitely wait and see what happens.

If you're paying for a smaller package - up to 50 for example and you're actually getting 50...I think you'll need to make that call and up your package to the 70 one for the increased speeds.

Either way, I'd hold off for a week or two until you know for sure when vectoring is all done and dusted.

Did they ditch the "up to" 50Mb packages? Vodafone never even had one.

Did they ditch the "up to" 50Mb packages? Vodafone never even had one.

Eircom still have them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Do people need to restart the routers for a firmware update or was that just for bridging?

Advertisement