Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Owen Farrell doesn't always kick for Saracens, should he not be picked at 10 by England? Jackson will be fine and had proven he'll be fine.

Ah now in fairness Farrell wouldn't be the best comparison. Farrell has already proved that he is a fantastic goal kicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

This, this and this again.

The guy was a superstar at full-back when he was at underage level. Not just in a "that guy will play for Ireland" kind of way, but in a "that guy is going down as an all-time great" kind of way. At full-back.

Now, obviously being a star at underage is no guarantee of anything (cf: Andrew Conway) but when Fitzgerald came on to the pro scene he had first Girvan Dempsey, then Rob Kearney, then Isa Nacewa in his way for the full-back jersey. So he moved to the wing and lo and behold, he was pretty good there too.

Then came the 2011 Six Nations; he had a pretty bad couple of games at full-back having not played there for years and suddenly he's a joke, that he should never be let near the full-back jersey again, etc etc.

It's ill-informed and it's pretty annoying. He has all the skills to play FB, he has more experience there than most and I'd back him to slot in there if needed, more than I would for any of the other back-three players we have.

Rant over. For now.

I dont like fitz at full back myself, he regularly struggles for distance with his kicks and his running game from deep is poor, for some reason the more time he has the worse his decision making. How many times did we see him collect the ball from deep, do that thing where he spins the ball around in his hands a few times and then run head on into a wall of defenders. Now perhaps he'd be better now but you cant disregard his form there from a few years ago, I never noticed his poor form much when he started on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

No, I'm saying he has the skills and ability to do it and that one or two bad games does not mean anything. If we based our opinions on small numbers of performances, no-one would ever be good enough for international rugby.

The Zebo thing is what does my head in most, tbh. Two games in his entire career, one a forward-dominated meat-grinder of a match and the other a canter in the park, is somehow a basis for thinking he's an option at FB at international level.

It's just bad logic, that's all.

I have some reservations about zebo in a few ways but one place where he is very good is under the high ball , I do think full back might eventually be a good option for him but not just yet. Saying that I wouldn't seeing him get a run there now for Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So because he was really good there as a 17 year old he would suddenly be grand to slip back in there for Ireland despite having looked at sea in the position the last time he played there at test level?

I just don't think he's a 15 and I'd have D Kearney and Zebo ahead of him for Ireland if push came to shove

Tbh I'd be slow to pass judgement on him. He came back from injury in January 2011 and had practically no time to find any form before being launched into Test level rugby in a position he'd never played in at that level. It was never, ever going to end well. It just couldn't.

I'd agree he'd be down the list, but I do think peoples opinions of him at FB have been coloured by a situation where he was never going to be able to excel.
    shuffol wrote: »
    I dont like fitz at full back myself, he regularly struggles for distance with his kicks and his running game from deep is poor, for some reason the more time he has the worse his decision making. How many times did we see him collect the ball from deep, do that thing where he spins the ball around in his hands a few times and then run head on into a wall of defenders. Now perhaps he'd be better now but you cant disregard his form there from a few years ago, I never noticed his poor form much when he started on the wing.

Saracens in January 2011. The game he threw the intercept for Strettles(?) try. Right before his appearances at FB for Ireland. He wasn't in a good place at the time at all, be that at wing or FB, hence I wouldn't be using anything in that period to judge the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting how when Paul O'Connell was asked who Ireland's biggest hitter was he immediately answered Stephen Ferris, I found that surprising given how long he's been out and also given it was at the 6 Nations launch! God I wish we had him back.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Interesting how when Paul O'Connell was asked who Ireland's biggest hitter was he immediately answered Stephen Ferris, I found that surprising given how long he's been out and also given it was at the 6 Nations launch! God I wish we had him back.

If we had Ferris and O'Brien togging out in the same back line it would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd probably keep them in the pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Eoin wrote: »
    I'd probably keep them in the pack!

Nonsense, natural successors to BOD and Darce in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Tox56 wrote: »
    Nonsense, natural successors to BOD and Darce in the centre

I'm suddenly reminded of Mighty Ducks.

I meant back row. :o

Though a Ferris O'Brien 12 and 13 partnership would be a pretty impenetrable channel for the opposition.

• Advertisement

Was just looking this up, in an interview in 2009 Les Kiss said that in his 20 years of coaching he has only met one player who hits harder than Ferris and that was Wycliff Palu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

awec wrote: »
    Was just looking this up, in an interview in 2009 Les Kiss said that in his 20 years of coaching he has only met one player who hits harder than Ferris and that was Wycliff Palu.

Can remember Palu absolutely smashing Rob Kearney a few seasons back, think he got (quite unfairly) binned for his troubles.

From the same interview, Ferris said:

“I love a big hit myself,” he said. “Me and Neil Best. We go out there and try and hurt boys, really, so they won’t run back at us. Putting a big hit on somebody, putting them down and looking into his eyes. There’s nothing better.”

That looking into his eyes bit - :pac:

Really hope this guy gets back to playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

From the same interview, Ferris said:

“I love a big hit myself,” he said. “Me and Neil Best. We go out there and try and hurt boys, really, so they won’t run back at us. Putting a big hit on somebody, putting them down and looking into his eyes. There’s nothing better.”

That looking into his eyes bit - :pac:

Really hope this guy gets back to playing for Ireland.
    You get the feeling that if Ferris hadn't actually taken up rugby, he might be behind bars by now.

Joking of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

rrpc wrote: »
    You get the feeling that if Ferris hadn't actually taken up rugby, he might be behind bars by now.

Joking of course ;)

I think he almost admitted as much himself, in previous interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Any word on Ferris?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

Kayless wrote: »
    Any word on Ferris?

He tweeted last week that he packed his boots for training for the first time in ages, so some progress at least. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If we had Ferris and O'Brien togging out in the same back line it would be amazing.

Last time that happened was Paddy's day 2012, damn long time! Almost 2 years!
    They played together in 4 of the 5 games in that campaign.

Also, prior to the games against Australia and New Zealand in November, Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell did not play together for Ireland since the WC Quarter Final defeat to Wales on 8th October 2011 - over 2 years!

In fact that quarter final is the last time all 4 of those players played for us at the same time. What a lineup we had that day:

Rob Kearney
    Tommy Bowe
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Gordon D'Arcy
    Keith Earls
    Ronan O'Gara
    Conor Murray
    Cian Healy
    Rory Best
    Mike Ross
    Donncha O'Callaghan
    Paul O'Connell
    Steve Ferris
    Sean O'Brien
    Jamie Heaslip

Obviously I would have preferred 1 change in that lineup... :)

I think Wales caught us on the hop that day, what an awful shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

mystic86 wrote: »
    Last time that happened was Paddy's day 2012, damn long time! Almost 2 years!
    They played together in 4 of the 5 games in that campaign.

Also, prior to the games against Australia and New Zealand in November, Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell did not play together for Ireland since the WC Quarter Final defeat to Wales on 8th October 2011 - over 2 years!

In fact that quarter final is the last time all 4 of those players played for us at the same time. What a lineup we had that day:

Rob Kearney
    Tommy Bowe
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Gordon D'Arcy
    Keith Earls
    Ronan O'Gara
    Conor Murray
    Cian Healy
    Rory Best
    Mike Ross
    Donncha O'Callaghan
    Paul O'Connell
    Steve Ferris
    Sean O'Brien
    Jamie Heaslip

Obviously I would have preferred 1 change in that lineup... :)

I think Wales caught us on the hop that day, what an awful shame.

Great post, except for the very last line. Wales didn't catch us on the hop at all; they realised we were completely one-dimensional in our tactics and set out to neuter us completely. Where we fell down was our inability to do anything about it in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Great players individually but they were part of a horribly balanced backrow for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

gaius c wrote: »
    Great players individually but they were part of a horribly balanced backrow for Ireland.

in what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sean O Brien has come on immeasurably as a 7 since the World Cup. I think they could fit much better as a backrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Never really understood that idea tbh...

If they we're fit today they'd all be starting on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Sean O Brien has come on immeasurably as a 7 since the World Cup. I think they could fit much better as a backrow now.

Possibly. All more individually talented than the Welsh backrow in the QF yet played off the park by them. SOB has come a long way since then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Its a pity that I don't think we ever saw Wallace, Ferris and SOB take the field together. Probably the 3 best athletes we've produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No, I'm saying he has the skills and ability to do it and that one or two bad games does not mean anything. If we based our opinions on small numbers of performances, no-one would ever be good enough for international rugby.

The Zebo thing is what does my head in most, tbh. Two games in his entire career, one a forward-dominated meat-grinder of a match and the other a canter in the park, is somehow a basis for thinking he's an option at FB at international level.

It's just bad logic, that's all.

I would say that Zebo has more of the attributes for a full-back than Fitz. He has a monster boot, he is superb in the air and is a good counter-attacker. Positioning is something that you'd have to see over time, same with Fitz.

Fitz's skillset is more suited to centre imo, although both are very good wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

rrpc wrote: »

Joking of course ;)

Think he was laying tarmacadam for his uncle at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

As a kind of shadow backline going forward, I'm definitely excited about the possibilities of seeing these guys lining up:

9. Marmion
    10. JJ Hanrahan
    11. Craig Gilroy
    12. Stuart Olding
    13. Jared Payne
    14. Simon Zebo
    15. Henshaw

That it has to be said is the Project Player and Academy systems working very well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Its a pity that I don't think we ever saw Wallace, Ferris and SOB take the field together. Probably the 3 best athletes we've produced.

I'm not sure I'd include Ferris in that, how many caps has he? (I know injuries is the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement