Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

RuggieBear wrote: »

I know what right wing means , serious player but constant injuries might mean not the greatest athlete.

Fwiw a fit ferris would be in any team I'd pick anywhere for a one off game

On a fit day a serious wrecking ball but the body doesn't seem to be able stay together for long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

shaka wrote: »
    I know what right wing means , serious player but constant injuries might mean not the greatest athlete.

Fwiw a fit ferris would be in any team I'd pick anywhere for a one off game

On a fit day a serious wrecking ball but the body doesn't seem to be able stay together for long

That's it.
    No doubt if he wasn't prone to all these injuries, he'd right up there.

But sort of reminds me of the greatest racehorses in a way, so finely tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Injuries to a player doesn't make him any less of an athlete though. Half the reason he's always out is because the way he plays the game, and the fact he has no cartilage in his knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How many caps do you need to be an athlete?

.ak wrote: »
    Injuries to a player doesn't make him any less of an athlete though. Half the reason he's always out is because the way he plays the game, and the fact he has no cartilage in his knees.

Ah there's no doubt about that, it's not black or white, but I'd still rate someone who doesn't get injuries a better athlete, all other things more or less being equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

someone like heaslip who is rarely injured?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    someone like heaslip who is rarely injured?

Yeah, I'd say Heaslip is more of an athlete, Ferris may be the better player if he was fully fit for the 1 off game.

How many caps do you need to be an athlete?

It's a secret.

I think it does, an athlete not only needs to be fast, strong etc also needs to be durable. Someone isn't a good athlete if they can't play and same goes for any sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ferris not that much of an athlete? Oh lord jesus

The man is a freak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The man is a freak

Ferris isn't an athlete. You have to be a mere mortal to be an athlete. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Strange discussion... surely athlete is binary, either you are or aren't

The man is a freak

Obviously when FIT he is a freak, he is probably no1 blindside around when fit but if someone can't stay fit then how could one be described as the greatest athlete ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Grimebox wrote: »
    Strange discussion... surely athlete is binary, either you are or aren't
    Yes, so long as you aren't unlucky enough to get injured. If you're an athlete and get injured you aren't an athlete apparently. I thought I had strayed into a schoolboy forum for a while and then I realised this balls was being posted by grown men.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes, so long as you aren't unlucky enough to get injured. If you're an athlete and get injured you aren't an athlete apparently. I thought I had strayed into a schoolboy forum for a while and then I realised this balls was being posted by grown men.

No one said he wasn't an athlete I suggest you read The posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I think it does, an athlete not only needs to be fast, strong etc also needs to be durable. Someone isn't a good athlete if they can't play and same goes for any sport
    No one said he wasn't an athlete I suggest you read The posts

Asked and answered.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Asked and answered.

Best effort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Who's the better athlete?

Adam jones or Stephen ferris?

I think most of us know the answer to this. Fez is an unbelievable athlete. He is one of the Irish players to have the "fast muscle fibre twitch" that is prevalent in the SH players. Watch any of the montage of him on YouTube...magnificent.

Yes he's been plagued with injury this last 2 years but you need to look up the definition of athlete to see that ferris sits comfortably in that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Ferris is only so injury prone BECAUSE he's an athlete - the way he puts his body on the line you'd have to Zeus himself to avoid injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Gonna be a tough call for Schmidt whether to go for Marshall or D'Arcy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Hagz wrote: »

I'd stick with Marshall for the time being. Thought his defence was very good, I don't see a reason to drop him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tough considering what Marshall could potentially bring in attack, but I don't think Marshall forced Schmidt's hand enough today, didn't really do enough. Another big NZ-type effort for Darce against Wales I think, not missing tackles is going to be absolutely crucial although Marshall is a great defender too, but then D'Arcy has that relationship with BOD. Very very tough decision. Fitzgerald being back would be a huge boost

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd stick with Marshall for the time being. Thought his defence was very good, I don't see a reason to drop him tbh.

Don't think his distribution was there tonight imo. Couple of times BOD seemed to line out at 12 to make sure the distribution was right.

He wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd have D'Arcy back for the Welsh game. Just think D'arcy is playing better right now.

I think the Jamie Roberts factor will play a big part in the selection decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Don't think his distribution was there tonight imo. Couple of times BOD seemed to line out at 12 to make sure the distribution was right.

He wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I'd have D'Arcy back for the Welsh game. Just think D'arcy is playing better right now.

Fair enough, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, one of those selections where I don't really care who gets picked tbh. Was just thinking Marshall did fairly well, he's so young and inexperienced that every big game will stand to him. But I accept your point.

Injuries permitted, I'd hope to have this team for next week.

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    POC
    Toner
    POM
    Henry
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    Trimble
    Kearney

Cronin
    McGrath
    Moore
    Touhy
    TOD/Ruddock
    Reddan
    Jackson
    McFadden

Only question mark for me is the 20 jersey. TOD was outstanding today, but I'd rather Ruddock if it was a tight game, and also because POM seems to be the one to hit the bench first, always empties his tank, and Ruddock is the more natural 6 and is a tight game player.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

One thing we do have going for us next weekend is the fact that Darcy, POC and Fitz haven't played and thus won't be affected by the 6 day turnaround.

The rumour is that Fitz won't be ready for the Welsh game. Personally I'd swap Trimble for McFadden, but I know that's an unpopular call.

I also think we could see Madigan come in for Jackson on the bench. That's not a comment on Jackson's performance today, I would have said the same prior to kick-off.

The rumour is that Fitz won't be ready for the Welsh game. Personally I'd swap Trimble for McFadden, but I know that's an unpopular call.

I also think we could see Madigan come in for Jackson on the bench. That's not a comment on Jackson's performance today, I would have said the same prior to kick-off.

I think Jackson will keep his place, kick aside he had a good game.

I'd keep Trimble if Fitz isn't fit, although I'm hoping he is because we need someone like him against Wales, but still I'd drop Dave Kearney for McFadden if that's the case. Trimble did well today, tackled well, gathered well and ran well. Dave was caught a couple of times and made a few judgement errors.

Hard to drop either really when neither did nothing wrong, it's just the 80 minute factor and the fact we're playing Wales may cause Schmidt to make a couple of changes there.

• Advertisement

I'd have concerns over Trimble's ability to contain North tbh. A couple of times today he chased well but didn't follow it up with the tackle and if that happens against North the punishment will be much more severe.

I'd have similar concerns regarding Dave, but I don't think Cuthbert is as much of a threat as North (though I do think he's a better finisher). And Dave handled North well enough when he faced him this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement