Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

b.gud wrote: »
    Announcement said him, Trimble and I think 2 other players, were going ti continue recovery at their own province and may be called up during the 6 nations

Robin Copeland, David Kilcoyne, Luke Marshall, Donncha Ryan and Andrew Trimble will remain with their provinces to continue their recovery or to gain game time and may yet return for later 6 Nations test matches.

Interesting to see those who are mentioned. Although I'd be surprised if we see any involved in a 23 unless there are injuries to others. Not a slight on the players but it's hard to break into the team if you haven't been in the squad all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

WTF is Bent doing there and Buckley still not selected!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tox56 wrote: »
    Very difficult to predict the WH team

McGrath/Cronin - Strauss - White
    Foley - McCarthy
    Henderson - Conan - Murphy/TOD

Marmion - Keatley
    Darce - Earls
    Dave K - Jones - McFadden/Gilroy

Healy + SOB on the bench??

If Henderson plays against Leicester, playing him at 6 and moving POM to 7 has to be a very serious possibility for the Italy game

Might we see Healy & SOB start the WHs game to get up to speed I wonder? And maybe Reid/Payne in the centre. Ross on the bench for some game time (which he may need) and no second row cover, moving Henderson in there instead?

Healy Strauss White
    Foley McCarthy
    Henderson Conan TOD

Marmion Keatley
    Reid Payne
    Zebo Jones McFadden

Herring, Cronin, Ross, Diack, Murphy, Boss, Madigan, D Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Casey ignored again. Bent is a very lucky boy to be included ahead of Buckley. Conan probably fortunate too, but I look forward to seeing him progress. Ryan is a lucky boy, as he isn't great . D'Arcy has a good relationship with Schmidt and we're struggling with injury in the centre too, he shouldn't get near the pitch though.

Other than that, pretty much every fit player in the country has been named.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Possibility of Leinster having 6 front rows in the match day squad. Best on form might loose out to Strauss and Cronin. Cronin has to be in there form 2 in the country and betwen best and Strauss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Luck doesn't really have anything to do with it, hard to deny Bent a place considering what he's done in recent months.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Possibility of Leinster having 6 front rows in the match day squad. Best on form might loose out to Strauss and Cronin. Cronin has to be in there form 2 in the country and betwen best and Strauss?

To be honest, whilst I'd be delighted for them, I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen, otherwise we'll have no one for the pro12 games...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

molloyjh wrote: »
    Might we see Healy & SOB start the WHs game to get up to speed I wonder? And maybe Reid/Payne in the centre. Ross on the bench for some game time (which he may need) and no second row cover, moving Henderson in there instead?

Healy Strauss White
    Foley McCarthy
    Henderson Conan TOD

Marmion Keatley
    Reid Payne
    Zebo Jones McFadden

Herring, Cronin, Ross, Diack, Murphy, Boss, Madigan, D Kearney

Healy is never going to start the Italy game though, whereas if McGrath is fit he will. And he won't have played a game for a month or so by the time of the Italy game, so I could really see him starting. Healy off the bench v Italy is still a distinct possibility I reckon

Best wins that battle (and starts ahead of Cronin in any case).

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Best will lose out to neither Cronin or Strauss. If Best is fit he will start at 2, of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nice.

Can't see us being that lucky tbh.
    .ak wrote: »
    I'd be seriously impressed if we got a team like that onto the field.. But rarely are we allowed such a privilege!

Hush, both of you and leave me to my dreams...
    its_phil wrote: »
    WTF is Bent doing there and Buckley still not selected!

Covers both sides of the scrum and is nearby for training purposes I'd say.

Best will start, 100%

Casey ignored again. Bent is a very lucky boy to be included ahead of Buckley. Conan probably fortunate too. D'Arcy has a good relationship with Schmidt and we're struggling with injury in the centre too, he shouldn't get near the pitch though.

Is Casey not injured...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Best would need to get injured for that to happen. He's one of the key leaders in the team and miles ahead of both Strauss and Cronin although Cronin's carrying provides a good impact sub option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Leinster could be threadbare during the 6 nations

Hopefully the WH gel and put in a good performance against the saxons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Luck doesn't really have anything to do with it, hard to deny Bent a place considering what he's done in recent months.

It really is easy to deny Bent a place, considering what Buckley has been doing all season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Leinster could be threadbare during the 6 nations

Hopefully the WH gel and put in a good performance against the saxons.

You would imagine a lot of these guys will be released back to their province.

its_phil wrote: »
    It really is easy to deny Bent a place, considering what Buckley has been doing all season.

When Leinster sign Buckley he will get his chance. ;)

awec wrote: »
    You would imagine a lot of these guys will be released back to their province.

True but it will still be a large proportion

24 of the 46 there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Strauss hasn't been playing very well, and Cronin's basics as a hooker are terrible; hes a great rugby player though. Best is nailed on at 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Boss is very much a break-class-incase of emergency player. McGrath is not.

No he isn't. There is a very real possibility that Murray could be in trouble for the Italy game at least. All that leaves is Boss and Reddan and Boss shouldn't be near an international 23 at this point.

I really don't care how much experience he has, I would genuinely rather go into an international with McGrath (or Hart for that matter) on the bench.

Best will lose out to neither Cronin or Strauss. If Best is fit he will start at 2, of that I have no doubt whatsoever.

Regardless of form, some players we know will just perform on the day when selected for internationals. Best, POC, BOD etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Bent has been playing really well. He got the better of one of the best tight-heads in the world only 5 days ago.

But sure look, if the third/fourth/fifth choice loosehead is what people are most angry about, then we're doing OK.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No he isn't. There is a very real possibility that Murray could be in trouble for the Italy game at least. All that leaves is Boss and Reddan and Boss shouldn't be near an international 23 at this point.

I really don't care how much experience he has, I would genuinely rather go into an international with McGrath (or Hart for that matter) on the bench.

Poor Kieran....

Tox56 wrote: »
    Healy is never going to start the Italy game though, whereas if McGrath is fit he will. And he won't have played a game for a month or so by the time of the Italy game, so I could really see him starting. Healy off the bench v Italy is still a distinct possibility I reckon

True enough. I didn't factor in McGraths ban. And I don't see them both involved with the WHs.
    Best wins that battle (and starts ahead of Cronin in any case).

+1 to both of these. Best all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Podge_irl wrote: »

Marmion??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not much to be debated really. The interesting inclusions are Healy, Henderson, O'Brien and Earls. We could have a pretty strong Wolfhounds squad on show next weekend.

One thing though which is rarely mentioned is that I think we are missing a trick with not even considerng Steenson. Not that I ever thought it was going to happen but if Madigan or Keatley gets injured this weekend we are snookered.

Thing with the hookers is I'd be happy with either Best, Cronin or Strauss starting. They're all animal players, each with their own strengths, but Best is obviously the Best.

bilston wrote: »
    Not much to be debated really. The interesting inclusions are Healy, Henderson, O'Brien and Earls. We could have a pretty strong Wolfhounds squad on show next weekend.

One thing though which is rarely mentioned is that I think we are missing a trick with not even considerng Steenson. Not that I ever thought it was going to happen but if Madigan or Keatley gets injured this weekend we are snookered.

I presume JJ would sit on the bench in that scenario? Its not even worth contemplating.

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    so its basically everyone who isnt injured
    yup, but get your outrage poncho ready anyway
    52-x80--Rain-Poncho---Safety-O-212843.jpg
    Casey ignored again. Bent is a very lucky boy to be included ahead of Buckley. Conan probably fortunate too, but I look forward to seeing him progress. Ryan is a lucky boy, as he isn't great . D'Arcy has a good relationship with Schmidt and we're struggling with injury in the centre too, he shouldn't get near the pitch though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement