Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OK I think it is probably best we actually talk about rugby. So here is a question:

Who will be our best player in the 6 Nations this year? Maybe pick a forward and a back?

Personally I think it's going to be one of POM or Henshaw.

POM because I reckon he'll be quite eager to make an impression with everything going on at Munster, and he is certainly capable of making a massive impression.

Henshaw because he looks in great form, and he's got that confidence that comes with youth to try things, as well as the physicality that'll allow him make an impact in all phases. If we can surround him with enough quality I think he could really shine. #SonOfBOD

Healy/SOB could also make a massive comeback, they're sure to be chomping at the bit currently to get on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

OK I think it is probably best we actually talk about rugby. So here is a question:

Who will be our best player in the 6 Nations this year? Maybe pick a forward and a back?

POM because I reckon he'll be quite eager to make an impression with everything going on at Munster, and he is certainly capable of making a massive impression.

Henshaw because he looks in great form, and he's got that confidence that comes with youth to try things, as well as the physicality that'll allow him make an impact in all phases. If we can surround him with enough quality I think he could really shine. #SonOfBOD

Healy/SOB could also make a massive comeback, they're sure to be chomping at the bit currently to get on the field.

How far through the 6N will we be when Healy/SOB come back though?

If payne gets another shot with henshaw I'd love to see their link play in open field after they get some more experience with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Henshaw is the son of BOD.

Now there's a headline story. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hard to know in the forwards with all the injuries, it's kinda depressing tbh. POM will be looking to make a big impression, but I'd say we'll be very glad that we have the experience of Heaslip available. Hopefully Moore can make a big impact if he's included, and I expect POC to turn in a few big displays.

I'm going to say Heaslip though.

In the backs... if fit, I think it will be Murray. Lot of responsibility on him if Sexton is missing and I think he'll deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hard to know in the forwards with all the injuries, it's kinda depressing tbh. POM will be looking to make a big impression, but I'd say we'll be very glad that we have the experience of Heaslip available. Hopefully Moore can make a big impact if he's included, and I expect POC to turn in a few big displays.

I'm going to say Heaslip though.

In the backs... if fit, I think it will be Murray. Lot of responsibility on him if Sexton is missing and I think he'll deliver.

Good call on Murray. In the Trimble mould I offer Fitz a shout too although I'd just take him getting through the 6 nations intact. I think and hope that Henshaw will go well and begin to make an impact but it's too early for him to be our best player if all goes well.

I like the idea of POM responding to frustration at Munster by raising his level again for Ireland. With SOB and Henry not that likely to play much of a role we could use a few of his 'clamp' impressions at the breakdown. In fact if it isn't already I vote that we nickname him 'The Clamp'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even missing one game, I have difficulty foreseeing a scenario where Sexton isn't our best player in the tournament. Because, to put it simply, he's our best player!

Forwards:
    I think Toner is going to have a massive tournament for us. He is going very well in Leinster and looks to be hitting a great vein of form just at the right time.

Backs:
    I'm going to stick to my home province and say Luke Fitzgerald. He is electric at the minute and offers an attacking threat from centre or wing. Unlike others I think he is coming into the 6N without huge expectations on him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd second the Luke Fitz nomination. He's looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

My wish for the 6 nations, grand slam aside, is to see a Murray/Sexton/Henshaw/Fitzgerald axis carving teams apart.....as good as we have been for the past 12 months, a lot of our success has been based on maul and Joe power plays.....I'd love to see our back-line really start to rip it up in more general play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

World class players are world class for a reason. Murray & Sexton to be in the running for Irish player of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clearly Best and Bowe will be our two best players aided honourably from the bench by Jared Payne...that much is obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

I'm expecting Robbie Henshaw to have a big tournament, he's looking really, really good this season.

I still remember watching the USA vs Ireland match in 2013 (what an entertaining refereeing performance that matc had) and thinking that Henshaw looked incredibly nervous and shaky (at fullback I believe it was), and worried that his performance in that match might set him back a bit, but he was excellent in the Autumn Internationals, especially when it's taken into account that he played with different centre partners in the SA/Aus games, as well as playing at both 12/13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

S12b wrote: »
    My wish for the 6 nations, grand slam aside, is to see a Murray/Sexton/Henshaw/Fitzgerald axis carving teams apart.....as good as we have been for the past 12 months, a lot of our success has been based on maul and Joe power plays.....I'd love to see our back-line really start to rip it up in more general play.

I totally agree with this, whilst I've loved the fact we've been winning I don't know it all just feels a little restrained. Would really love to see our back line carve another team apart.

I'm still worried about Luuuke.

Make it through 5 international games please.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

going to throw one in from left field......

I think Jordi Murphy will be given the 7 shirt and may end up on most teams of the tournament.
    I think in the absence of SOB and Henry, JS would prefer his power and grunt over TODs athleticism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think Jordi Murphy will be given the 7 shirt and may end up on most teams of the tournament.
    I think in the absence of SOB and Henry, JS would prefer his power and grunt over TODs athleticism

Brilliant attempt to break the internet sydthebeat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Can't see it. Don't think he has the raw power to stand out at international level and he's not technical enough at the breakdown (yet) to have that sort of impact. When Ruddock becomes available he could well come straight back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

+1. I just think TOD is too small for international rugby. I was surprised Ruddock got given the 7 shirt, but if he is back from injury might be an option too. With SOB & Henry out, 7 is definitely a potential Achilles heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

stirring.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Woah buddy, let's just take it one game at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

make it through this weekends leinster game first please luke ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I was thinking TOD would get the nod but after the last few weeks I think Jordi has put his hand up too

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

IHumph when he astonishes everyone as a super sub and we play the most attacking rugby under JS we've seen as of yet.

Until he misses the last kick to lose the GS.

In the real world, I think Murray if fit will be a star, taking up some of the mantle from Sexton. In the forwards I think Heaslip is due a huge tournament, he's always good but maybe play more of a running game which we used to see before SOB etc were around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

aimee1 wrote: »
    I was thinking TOD would get the nod but after the last few weeks I think Jordi has put his hand up too

TOD was poor against Saracens, by no means alone in that but he's the guy fighting for a jersey. Murphy has been good the last few weeks after a slow start back from injury.

This weekend, Murphy has the tough away trip while O'Donnell has the stroll in his home ground, so it might switch again.

Personally I'd pick Murphy but neither are really international class yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'm going to call it now. Iain henderson to start at blindside against Leicester and again in the wolfhounds match, destroying everything in the process.

Backrow vs Italy:

6. Henderson
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Heaslip

20. Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I'm going to call it now. Iain henderson to start at blindside against Leicester and again in the wolfhounds match, destroying everything in the process.

Backrow vs Italy:

6. Henderson
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Heaslip

20. Murphy

I wouldn't be so quick to shunt POM out of position. He was Ireland's best player in 2014 and has made the 6 jersey his own. Henderson is a great talent, but he isn't a great player yet. Murphy shouldn't be involved on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I wouldn't be so quick to shunt POM out of position. He was Ireland's best player in 2014 and has made the 6 jersey his own. Henderson is a great talent, but he isn't a great player yet. Murphy shouldn't be involved on the bench.

I do agree about POM and normally I wouldn't move him but I think the three of them bring their own different attributes which somewhat balances the back row. The 7 is just a number on his back in that he'd still have the same role and I think he'd be better at covering the open side of the scrum than Henderson.

As for Murphy I think he offers more versatility than TOD off the bench and has more potential which can be built upon by getting him as much game time as possible (I can't see him ever being a first choice back row for Ireland though)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Teferi wrote: »
    Woah buddy, let's just take it one game at a time.

+1. This time last year I thought Lukey was nailed on to tear the tournament up, just hoping he makes it to Rome at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RoundBox11 wrote: »

Backrow vs Italy:

6. Henderson
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Heaslip

20. Murphy

Given the squad is announced tomorrow I think we can safely assume Henderson will not be named. I doubt he will even be involved for the Wolfhounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommyteetoes

mahony could move to seven and diack or muldoon could come in at 6 for Italy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement