Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Olding is coming into the bracket of absolutely-rotten-luck injuries. No relation to any of the previous injuries, and always happening before an international window.

Loads and loads of young players go through that period. Rob Kearney was the same, there were posters here saying we should give up on Rob Kearney as a player because he would never be fit etc.

Just seems to be that there's a period in a young players' development where they're prone to those sorts of injuries, most make it through but unfortunately some don't (O'Malley/Pollock etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

So is Henshaw 12 and Fitz 13 a non runner then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

P.Walnuts wrote: »

I think it's as likely as it was before the Olding news tbh. If Joe was happy with how Henshaw - Payne went against South Africa, then there would be no reason why he couldn't swap Fitz for Payne and try it again.

Or just pick Henshaw - Payne again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I thought even without Oldings injury he wouldn't make a matchday squad. Maybe hed have made the extended squad but;

Henshaw - Payne/Fitzgerald

Darcy - Henshaw

Were always going to be the combinations picked on matchday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

P.Walnuts wrote: »

No it isn't, and I would like to see it. But I think D'Arcy will start.

Edit: forgot about Paye. Could be the Payne/Henshaw combo again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

When's the squad announced?

NoelJ wrote: »
    When's the squad announced?

Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

The squad announcement will be a serious anti-climax at this stage, so many injuries mean very few contentious calls left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The squad announcement will be a serious anti-climax at this stage, so many injuries mean very few contentious calls left.

What surprises would there have been anyway? We pretty much know what the pool of players are and who's injured. What's going to be interesting is if the likes of SOB, Healy, Henderson, Trimble and some of the younger players are going to be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Depends if Zebo is fit. If he isn't, we could see Fitzgerald on the wing, so Payne and Henshaw could be the midfield.

• Advertisement

Honestly can't see any surprises. However, the starting backline has a tonne of different possibilities for once, which will make it interesting... provided nobody else gets injured, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

MattD wrote: »
    I thought even without Oldings injury he wouldn't make a matchday squad. Maybe hed have made the extended squad but;

Henshaw - Payne/Fitzgerald

Darcy - Henshaw

Were always going to be the combinations picked on matchday.

Disagree, I think Olding may have been ahead of D'Arcy now. But Henshaw/Fitzgerald was always most likely and remains so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The bad news is there is another weekend of European rugby ahead...fair chance someone else will join the infirmary...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He was always the front runner anyway IMO.

Probably.

Will be interesting to see if he starts this weekend though. Hardly ideal for him to be coming into the 6N off the back of benching for Leinster's two most important games of the season.

bilston wrote: »
    The bad news is there is another weekend of European rugby ahead...fair chance someone else will join the infirmary...

You'd imagine so, especially with Leinster having so many front runners in their do-or-die match. Ulster and Munster can afford to properly rest players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sanjuro wrote: »
    What surprises would there have been anyway? We pretty much know what the pool of players are and who's injured. What's going to be interesting is if the likes of SOB, Healy, Henderson, Trimble and some of the younger players are going to be in the squad.

I'm going to guess No, Maybe, No, No and there may be a couple of younger players like Marmion & Henshaw involved. Doubt anyone younger makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ian Keatley now likely to make the 23 for the Italy game.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess No, Maybe, No, No and there may be a couple of younger players like Marmion & Henshaw involved. Doubt anyone younger makes it.

You're probably right. But there are soundings of SOB returning to action, the Belfast Telegraph is reporting Henderson is in line for return this weekend, then there's Earls to take into consideration. It'll be interesting on Thursday, but probably unsurprising.

Clegg wrote: »

Christ.

I can't think of anyone else in the 22 jersey. He won't get on the pitch unless we romp it (unlikely) or there's an injury (likely).

.ak wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone else in the 22 jersey. He won't get on the pitch unless we romp it (unlikely) or there's an injury (likely).

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's brought on into midfield beside Madigan after 60 minutes or so. They worked really well together before. Would love to see them playing the same way with his holiness (the second coming) Henshaw outside them.

• Advertisement

They played well together against a tired Georgia... This will be a different animal all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Clegg wrote: »

Christ.

Shows how valuable it is that Schmidt has given gametime to multiple outhalves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's brought on into midfield beside Madigan after 60 minutes or so. They worked really well together before. Would love to see them playing the same way with his holiness (the second coming) Henshaw outside them.

BOD's representative on earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Was Henshaw ever seated at the right hand of the father?

I.e., has he ever played alongside BOD at centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The official story is that he injured his neck running into the post while scoring a try against Zebre, but there seems to be a lingering suggestion that he may have concussion issues.

He banged heads with a defender before scoring the try, he almost could have been described as falling over the line. The post wasn't a factor.

It looked bad at the time, concussion seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Neil3030 wrote: »

He replaced him off the bench for Ireland once but that's it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Think the closest he came was replacing BOD against Australia in the 2013 Autumn internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Suspect they've just trained together. Sounds like BOD has a bit of a mentoring role wit Henshaw.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Suspect they've just trained together. Sounds like BOD has a bit of a mentoring role wit Henshaw.

Hey - were not allowed talk about players mentoring other players in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement