Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

Hey - were not allowed talk about players mentoring other players in this thread.

I think mentoring is OK, but no 1-on-1 tutoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Greyian wrote: »
    I think mentoring is OK, but no 1-on-1 tutoring.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Greyian

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Why is that?

It's to do with the negative connotations it has for the tutee, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's brought on into midfield beside Madigan after 60 minutes or so. They worked really well together before. Would love to see them playing the same way with his holiness (the second coming) Henshaw outside them.

I was in the clan stand last week for his chip and collect along with the catch at full pace and yes i can proclaim... We have seen the messia........

I

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Was Henshaw ever seated at the right hand of the father?

I.e., has he ever played alongside BOD at centre?

Not at centre but I think Henshaw was at fullback for the last few mins vs Australia in 2013 and Brian was still on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

When is it that the preliminary squad is named for Ireland for the six nations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

When is it that the preliminary squad is named for Ireland for the six nations

Tomorrow, apparently, but it will include pretty much everyone if last year is anything to go by, as they announced a joint senior-Wolfhounds squad of 44 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tomorrow, apparently, but it will include pretty much everyone if last year is anything to go by, as they announced a joint senior-Wolfhounds squad of 44 people.

so its basically everyone who isnt injured

aimee1 wrote: »

yup, but get your outrage poncho ready anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

All the more so when its a squad of 40+ becuase if a player is fit and doesn't make this squad then that will be pretty much it for him until after the world cup.

I only have my obtuse sombrero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

.ak wrote: »
    Depends if Zebo is fit.

Thats a worrying possibility. Boards could be very quiet if there's nothing to talk about.

Can we all agree, that even if Zebo is injured, we ignore that fact, and all proceed on the basis that he is healthy, and included (or excluded, it doesnt really matter which - just 'not available' will have every body loose interest in the squad announcement)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

aimee1 wrote: »

Just for the crack, Joe said he is naming everyone bar Zebo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

Thats a worrying possibility. Boards could be very quiet if there's nothing to talk about.

Can we all agree, that even if Zebo is injured, we ignore that fact, and all proceed on the basis that he is healthy, and included (or excluded, it doesnt really matter which - just 'not available' will have every body loose interest in the squad announcement)?

no worries. we'll find something. _any_ player will do. it's simple. here's a step by step guide:

1. choose a player that is picked, preferable one that plays for a province you do not support
    2. start comparing this player to one form your province that has not been picked.
    3. argue that it was the wrong call
    4. refuse to change your opinion, regardless of any facts or points other people make

Mention form if your player is playing well. Mention class otherwise.

after a couple of pages, when the discussion dies down, pick another player and start with step 1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

no worries. we'll find something. _any_ player will do. it's simple. here's a step by step guide:

1. choose a player that is picked, preferable one that plays for a province you do not support
    2. start comparing this player to one form your province that has not been picked.
    3. argue that it was the wrong call
    4. refuse to change your opinion, regardless of any facts or points other people make

I completely disagree, it should be
    1: Big up player from your province that has not been picked
    2: Compare to player from other province
    Only then can you move on to arguing that it was the wrong call.

You are entirely wrong and you will not change my mind on the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Madigan is out of the squad

Very bad hair day.... #prayformads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Don't forget to include one and only one example of where your chosen player has played well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bonus points for subtly suggesting the head coach has an entrenched parochial bias, by insisting certain players are only picked because he "trusts" them, or they are "familiar" to him. You see, the man willingly selects inferior resources to perform his job, because he's just that attached to a region in which he has lived for approximately 9% of his life.

Remember when he took over at Leinster and kept trying to select players who were contracted to Clermont? God that was annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You're all very cynical.... Don't you trust your fellow posters?

As a bit of a pre-warning; no silly buggers, no sniping, no goading, no being a dick etc. Try to debate the matters at hand without using the above.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bonus points for subtly suggesting the head coach has an entrenched parochial bias, by insisting certain players are only picked because he "trusts" them, or they are "familiar" to him. You see, the man willingly selects inferior resources to perform his job, because he's just that attached to a region in which he has lived for approximately 9% of his life.

Remember when he took over at Leinster and kept trying to select players who were contracted to Clermont? God that was annoying!

Post video's of your chosen player acting in an educational manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

dub_skav wrote: »
    I completely disagree, it should be
    1: Big up player from your province that has not been picked
    2: Compare to player from other province
    Only then can you move on to arguing that it was the wrong call.

You are entirely wrong and you will not change my mind on the subject

Actually maybe it's worth looking at this in the form of a timeline:

2 Months Before Squad announcement
    1. Identify the players in other provinces who might be a threat to your province's equivalent
    2. Identify the players at your province who might be on the fringes of the squad
    3. In each match thread for every other province, criticise the performances of players identified at step 1
    4. In each match thread for your own province, compliment the performances of players identified at step 2

2 weeks before squad announcement
    5. Take the players from step 2, and create an imaginary circumstance (feel free to use injury/suspension as the excuse, alternate as required) where that player might be in line for a starting position.
    6. Take the players from step 1 and criticise them here as much as possible. Really do your utmost here to make it look like they are incapable. Bonus points if you can make it seem as if you question their capacity to even fulfil basic tasks like dressing themselves or eating with cutlery.
    7. Remember for both steps 5 & 6: Stats are absolutely key. It doesn't matter what stats you use, just use stats. Before you click "Submit Reply" ask yourself, "did I use stats?" If the answer is no, use stats.
    8. Bonus points are available for each usage of the terms "class," "form", "x factor" and "unseen work"
    9. Double bonus points are available for each yellow card you get from a Mod of the forum. If you get a Red card, treat yourself to a steak dinner, because you're a winner.
    10. One of the major keys to this discussion is to constantly say "I can't believe I'm getting dragged into this", or even better, "I should know better than to reply." The more the other province's posters know that you're better than them, the better you'll feel about yourself, and that's the whole point of this process.

2 Days Before Squad Announcement

1. By this stage every single discussion and comparison that could possibly have been made or exist should have recurred ad nauseum, this is inevitable. Congratulate yourself for this and mourn for the many posters you have driven from the forums out of frustration/boredom.
    2. If 1 is true, it's time to return to hibernation, be ready to return for the World Cup squad announcement, which is when we will be playing for real money.

Look like I still have a lot to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Post video's of your chosen player acting in an educational manner.

That took me a minute :o

Brilliant IBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Folks, this is all very off topic imo. Also very ad-hominemy

Let's discuss rugby please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

(WTF is ad-hominemy?)

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    (WTF is ad-hominemy?)

Debating the poster, not the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement