Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

hahashake wrote: »
    Would a 24 year old Irishmen who moved to London for a job cheer for England after 3 years?

I am sure many would once they weren't playing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Would Aki be a citizen after 3 years?

Would a 24 year old Irishmen who moved to London for a job cheer for England after 3 years?

This is the point. England? Probably not, it's England. An Irishman moving to South Africa? New Zealand? Canada? That's where the lines become blurred

Then again, there are enough Irish in England on here who support England as long as they aren't playing Ireland, so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I don't doubt a persons ability to change allegiance over time, but from Aki's statements it seems money is his motivation to play for Ireland, not a sincere desire to represent Ireland. I don't know but I assume he has never been to Ireland. Based on NZ players in the past I would also doubt he plans to stay in Ireland after his career in Ireland ends, but I could be wrong.

I don't doubt a persons ability to change allegiance after time, but from Aki's statements it seems money is his motivation to play for Ireland, not a sincere desire to represent Ireland. I don't know but I assume he has never been to Ireland.

Would say currently "to play in Ireland".

If after 3 years he is good enough and wishes to play for Ireland we'll see...

I don't doubt a persons ability to change allegiance over time, but from Aki's statements it seems money is his motivation to play for Ireland, not a sincere desire to represent Ireland. I don't know but I assume he has never been to Ireland. Based on NZ players in the past I would also doubt he plans to stay in Ireland after his career in Ireland ends, but I could be wrong.

He's moving to Connacht, a team with well publicised financial issues, how much money is he actually getting here?

• Advertisement

rockbeast wrote: »
    Would say currently "to play in Ireland".

If after 3 years he is good enough and wishes to play for Ireland we'll see...

He has stated his desire to play for Ireland though. Not that he ever will, but he wants to.

He has stated his desire to play for Ireland though. Not that he ever will, but he wants to.

Yeah, but lip-service would have to be paid to the protocols even if insincere, I suppose

Tox56 wrote: »
    He's moving to Connacht, a team with well publicised financial issues, how much money is he actually getting here?

No clue, but project player wages plus the possibility of Irish wages must have beaten French and Japanese offers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

I don't agree with it,Ireland rugby team(or any national team) should be 100% Irish of not then it's just a made up and bought team.look at the 4/5 "Irish" guys that represented Ireland in the winter games....not one was born in Ireland and if I remember correctly not one lived in Ireland.i still stand by my original post,if the countries players aren't good enough then u shouldn't be trying to bring in foreign players,just accept it and try sort out ur grassroots and home grown players

No clue, but project player wages plus the possibility of Irish wages must have beaten French and Japanese offers.

Assuming he had serious offers from France/Japan no offer from Connacht could come close to competing with that purely in terms of cash

• Advertisement

Assuming he had serious offers from France/Japan no offer from Connacht could come close to competing with that purely in terms of cash

Don't the IRFU assist for project players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Riskymove wrote: »
    my issue is the potential it has to go too far

if our approach to any issue is to seek to bring in an overseas player...what for the young Irish players?

would we be happy to see 7 or 8 non-Irish representing the Country for example? Is it success at any cost?

we seemed to panic and bring in Bent for example and yet within months the likes of McGrath, Moore, Kilcoyne and Cronin are all in the mix

I have no issue with players coming here and becoming qualified and selected but actively planning for it is what concerns me

If three years is enough to make someone Irish, then I don't care if we field 23 naturalised players. Either they're not Irish, and they shouldn't be in the jeraey, or they are Irish and they deserve to be treated the same as any other Irishman. Whether Aki is Irish enough to play in three years has absolutely nothing to do with any other players, and it shouldn't matter a damn whether the Irish team has Strauss, Stander and Payne or Cronin, Ruddock and Kearney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If three years is enough to make someone Irish, then I don't care if we field 23 naturalised players. Either they're not Irish, and they shouldn't be in the jeraey, or they are Irish and they deserve to be treated the same as any other Irishman. Whether Aki is Irish enough to play in three years has absolutely nothing to do with any other players, and it shouldn't matter a damn whether the Irish team has Strauss, Stander and Payne or Cronin, Ruddock and Kearney.

No one is mentioning Welsh men here ;)

Don't the IRFU assist for project players?

Don't think so. Even if they did they still couldn't compete with France/Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If three years is enough to make someone Irish, then I don't care if we field 23 naturalised players.

well I guess that's where we disagree

I'd rather we developed the sport so that we can produce our own players to the required level than hire 23 foreigners and naturalise them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'd rather we developed the sport so that we can produce our own players to the required level than hire 23 foreigners and naturalise them

I'd rather see the national team be made up of the best 23 Irishmen for the gameplan. Being a born Irishman doesn't make anyone better than a naturalised citizen. Richardt Strauss is Irish and so is Leo Auva'a: the fact that Strauss came in as a project player while Leo came from the bottom up makes no difference to that fact. If you're Irish and you're the best option, get on the pitch.

This has come up a few times, do people really think we aren't already doing that? We just won a 6 Nations with no project players

This has come up a few times, do people really think we aren't already doing that? We just won a 6 Nations with no project players

of course we are and that's what I'd rather see happening into the future

If you're Irish and you're the best option, get on the pitch.

so you'd be happy if we recruited 23 foreigners in time to be IQ for the world cup and really be happy that this was "Ireland" and you think they'd get the same kind of support?

I wouldn't be anyway

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't think so. Even if they did they still couldn't compete with France/Japan

Are you sure? They assist with NIQ wages, I'd be surprised if project players are different.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so you'd be happy if we recruited 23 foreigners in time to be IQ for the world cup and really be happy that this was "Ireland" and you think they'd get the same kind of support?

I wouldn't be anyway

there is absolutely no evidence of anything remotely resembling a policy like that.... your "thin edge of the wedge" argument is baseless.

I'd rather see the national team be made up of the best 23 Irishmen for the gameplan. Being a born Irishman doesn't make anyone better than a naturalised citizen. Richardt Strauss is Irish and so is Leo Auva'a: the fact that Strauss came in as a project player while Leo came from the bottom up makes no difference to that fact. If you're Irish and you're the best option, get on the pitch.

Richardt Strauss is not irish,born and bred in SA,no irish connection at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think the issue of morality seems to be on everyone's agenda. I think all that went out the window once the game turned professional. I have no issue with anyone who qualifies to play for Ireland through the current rules to play. After all, once they declare for Ireland they can only play for Ireland. That takes a massive amount of commitment from a player, on personal and professional levels. I leave my sense of morality at the door on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

marc96 wrote: »
    Richardt Strauss is not irish,born and bred in SA,no irish connection at all!

I think you missed the point there.

desertcircus is saying that it's possible to become Irish.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is absolutely no evidence of anything remotely resembling a policy like that.... your "thin edge of the wedge" argument is baseless.

of course there isn't

it's a hypotethical discussion about how far things could go before people have an issue

desertcircus said he had no issue with 23 IQ foreigners being selected so i was just challenging that

.ak wrote: »
    I think the issue of morality seems to be on everyone's agenda.

my moral concerns would be about the IRFU possible approach to this

I have no issues with individuals becoming IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    I think the issue of morality seems to be on everyone's agenda. I think all that went out the window once the game turned professional. I have no issue with anyone who qualifies to play for Ireland through the current rules to play. After all, once they declare for Ireland they can only play for Ireland. That takes a massive amount of commitment from a player, on personal and professional levels. I leave my sense of morality at the door on this one.

I'd take a slightly different approach which involves invoking my morality to justify it. If a guy makes Ireland his home should we deny him the right to play international rugby because he wasn't "lucky enough" to be born here?

If someone gets naturalised here and then fecks off for the paycheck the moment he does then yes I'd have an issue with that. If a guy sets down his roots and his family here and intends to stay then he's more than welcome.

I think you missed the point there.

desertcircus is saying that it's possible to become Irish.

How??born is SA.that can't be taken away.i was born white I can't turn black??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

marc96 wrote: »
    How??born is SA.that can't be taken away.i was born white I can't turn black??

Thankfully nationality transcends skin colour or appearance then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

The idea of having an all born-and/or-raised in Ireland team is nice, I'm definitely willing to compromise to a small extent (probably no more than 2 players) for two things:

A) Results
    B) Seeing what players in the class of Payne can bring to the Irish team

Call me fickle, but if playing winning, exciting rugby comes at the cost of a little compromise here and there, then I'm all for it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement