Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A lad I lived with tried to give a ‘bum’ who was a regular beggar outside his work a tin of change , only to be told to do one. That was nyc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If you're a member of a credit union they'll contribute €1,950 towards your funeral.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Someone told me lately she gave her nephew a card for his first holy communion, no money inside it. same woman has loads of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

She taught him a valuable lesson. That his aunt is a tight ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

My aunt insisted I call when my young lad made is conformation in fairness when he was small she would always get him a Christmas present. Her house is a bit out of the way for me about an hour away. She was my dads sister and they were very close. My dad passed away years ago but I would always try keep in contact even though she would never ring me.

Anyway rang a few times before I called to make sure she would be there, called on the day. She came to door wouldn't bring us into house as her husband was going into hospital for an operation (minor procedure) and was afraid of catching covid (fair enough). They are really ott regards covid like they haven't left their house in 3 years. So we stood at door she had no card or present nothing and it was the most awkward conversation. I was so embarrassed for my little lad as he didnt know what to do and they are minted. Fair enough not to give anything but at least have a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

A friend called to my house recently and brought a bottle of wine - nothing special - €10-€11 price range we decided to order take away from a restaurant She was looking the menu up so added both our meals to the basket. I gave her my bank card to pay for both of ours. When it was delivered, there was a 3rd meal which cost €16.95. I thought it was a mistake and she said no this is mine for tomorrow evening. It still didn’t click with me until I checked my online banking the next day and was charged for the 3 meals € €16.95 each

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That voucher reminds me of my younger days growing up in a small rural shop, 30 odd years ago now.

Vouchers/coupons really weren't a thing that we (Irish) did at all, but at the time, a lot of English retirees had moved into the village. They would have my parents heads wrecked coming in, either trying to redeem vouchers, or asking for yesterday's newspapers (looking for them for free) so they could get vouchers from them.

Despite our tiny West of Ireland rural shop not being a "participating store" for the voucher they had gotten from the Daily Mail etc, it never stopped them trying and there would be several attempts at trying to offload them.

Sorry English folk, my childhood memories are that you are an extremely stingy nation.

From the Irish side, we were probably at the other end of the scale at the time, and there was a near embarrassment in using a voucher. Probably stemming from the old butter vouchers etc.

Right up until the closing of the shop, they had an English customer who would come in for the daily paper and use the bins as her bin. Too stingy to pay for her own bin and was completely open about it and even asked/told my parents what she was doing at the start. That went on for 20 years plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Ohh I am fuming reading this!

Absoutey a horrible thing to do !

Its a bit like one time my father asked a neighbor what he wanted at the bar, the neighbor said a pint and a whiskey, my father laughed and got him a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Went to the pub around the corner for a late lunch. Food is amazing, service great and the portions gigantic..because of this I just order the half portion you generally get one less slice of meat but roughly the same veg so still plenty… this way I can still get dessert. 😋

fella in front of us about 75 orders a half of a roast beef portion…. Gets his plate back but complains that he hasn’t been given enough… the chef and ourselves are 😧😵‍💫 at the very premise…. The half there, equals the large plate elsewhere in other pubs and the large there equals food coma time…. But this miserable swine …. He wasn’t altogether polite about it either.. which you probably should be if you are on a stingebag pisstake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That's just cunningly smart. Presume he didn't get laid?

First date in a zoo? Kinda odd, but kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he just wanted a free trip to the zoo, the date was a ruse!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not sure if stingy or, in the current circumstances, very clever...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

That one should be posted in lifehacking pics 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

How frequents this thread to check for potential money saving tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Not the thread you're looking for. Avoid the lifehacking thread, it's got stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The viewing the apartment story is stealing really.

I know a guy who drives as 1 of his many businesses, he drove around working at night for 3 months with a dipped beam headlight gone. The guy is worth millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^ Common enough story here to be fair. I sometimes wonder are these the same kind of gobsh!tes who come against you with their full beams on as they're too lazy/ sloppy to replace a bulb when the first one blows and they just motor on until the second one blows. Then the only option is to keep the full lights on. As I say,gobsh!tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its usually the same people who say "de NCT is a muney racket", you ask them when they last checked a headlight bulb and it's in the years not months.

This guy is mad for money though, its not him being lazy its just being too tight to buy a new bulb. You don't get to in a position of setting up multiple businesses and worth millions by being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

My Da was not a stingy man but did not like being taken advantage of either. Once at a wedding and old Aunt who never was known to buy a drink was there. He was buying a round and asked her what she would like, she says a large brandy, right so says me Da and got her a small bottle of stout, which is what she usually had. I got such a laugh from it. It was so unexpected.

From Advers.ie

Guy selling a second hand book for 2 euro.

Buyer wants to offer 5 euro for the book to be posted to him.

Seller:  if you can make it €6 for postage I’ll get it in the post tomorrow…let me know cheers

Buyer: No thanks. Postage would be €2.60 by my calculation with a few cent for an envelope. €5 my budget. Cheers

Seller:  no worries. It will need to go in one of the large prepaid envelopes which cost €6 so nothing I can do below that. Apologies

Buyer: No hassle.

Seller: any interest in collecting it??

Buyer: Ideally yes but I’m in Clondalkin and lord knows when I will be in rathfarnam

Seller: ok no worries…let me know if you change your mind or are around this way.

Buyer: Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A pub, they are a little on the expensive side but the food menu, lots of the dishes are about 2-4 euros overpriced … but the outright stinge is specifically the sandwiches because if you want the sandwich toasted…. That’s an extra 50 cent. Who the fück charges for the act of toasting two slices of bread ffs… 50 bastarding cent, seriously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He should have been charged €5 for using the word fam.

Advertisement