Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I'd say you had a lucky escape from that family, Satori Rae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I'd say you had a lucky escape from that family, Satori Rae.

Deffo think that myself, rest of the family were pure mannerly dotes though, not sure where they got the other 2 from :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

One of my colleagues in work is a gas stinge. Actually a generous person but by god he loves to save money where he can. A few examples I can think of.

1. He will look at the stamps on letters he receives. If they are not post marked, or if he can reuse them he will peel them off the envelope.
    2. He found an old radio in a skip in work and he took it out. Says he will fix it. Bloody thing looks like a steam roller went over it.

My favorite one though came to light this week. There were a few old pallets being thrown out and he decided to bring them home for the fire. Nothing wrong there. He tells me last week that he breaks them up and throws them into the fire and the next day he goes through the ashes to take out any nails from the pallets so he can reuse them.

The guy brings home about 4k a month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tzardine wrote: »
    One of my colleagues in work is a gas stinge. Actually a generous person but by god he loves to save money where he can. A few examples I can think of.

1. He will look at the stamps on letters he receives. If they are not post marked, or if he can reuse them he will peel them off the envelope.
    2. He found an old radio in a skip in work and he took it out. Says he will fix it. Bloody thing looks like a steam roller went over it.

My favorite one though came to light this week. There were a few old pallets being thrown out and he decided to bring them home for the fire. Nothing wrong there. He tells me last week that he breaks them up and throws them into the fire and the next day he goes through the ashes to take out any nails from the pallets so he can reuse them.

I was so ready to stand up for him until I read the bit in bold!
    But really...
    Seriously?
    Are you sure he wasn't winding you up about the nails?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Probably doesn't allow himself to enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

....1. He will look at the stamps on letters he receives. If they are not post marked, or if he can reuse them he will peel them off the envelope.
    3. There were a few old pallets being thrown out and he decided to bring them home for the fire. Nothing wrong there. He tells me last week that he breaks them up and throws them into the fire and the next day he goes through the ashes to take out any nails from the pallets so he can reuse them..
    1. I do that
    2. I would do that too, love to (attempt) fix things.
    3. I'd take discarded wood too if I had a fireplace. And if there were nails, I would not throw them in the bin along with the ashes but possibly put them aside to find a use even if it was for scrap metal! So much reusable stuff goes to landfill. Same way you don't throw glass away, instead recycle it
    So not stingy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

dee_mc wrote: »
    But really...
    Seriously?

I've taken a few pallets apart in my time. If he managed to save even one nail he's a better man than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Usually drive in and out of college with two friends, myself and friend A usually split the journeys equally and are always fair when it comes to paying for parking etc. The third 'friend b' doesn't have a car which is fair enough, all we ask for is a split of parking between the three of us.

He'd usually come up with some excuse as to how he'd have no change, or he'd get us back (never did) but on one occasion I just lost the plot with him as his attempt to avoid the split of the parking was so obvious.

We were paying at the machine and he stood against the wall playing with the phone, again not offering to pay a cent. We were a euro short and he asked us what was taking so long as we struggled to find coins - at this stage I just lost it after giving him countless lifts and him contributing to parking maybe 10% of the time, called him a cheap skate and how despite us taxing him in every morning he always seems to 'struggle' to contribute - the response was passive but it hasn't happened since.

Another time he asked me for a lift which was well out of my way, and offered to buy me a burrito for it, I said I'd take up on it as I usually get nothing off him. When we were in the burrito shop he mumbled that we'd be splitting it.

The funny thing is, is that he's quite a nice guy but I think that some people just have stinginess built into them - wether through upbringing or personal choice. Some people also have a complete lack of understanding of how much it costs to run a car, and expect it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^^^direct this prick to the bus stop next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

dee_mc wrote: »
    But really...
    Seriously?

No he was dead serious. Told me he was able to use one of them to stick up a bit of coving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

I had a couple of friends over to mine one night for a bit of pre drinking. Nothing hectic and we decided to head into town. I noticed the next day one friend had left a can on cider in the fridge. I didn't think anything of it as you do and in fact was thinking... "oo that's a pleasant surprise I'll enjoy that one evening".

Anyway I got a message a couple of weekends later to come round to a friends before we went out for a few drinks. It was actually around to his parents, he still lived at home and was in a decent job so rent or buying a few cans wouldn't have been an issue. I agreed and got a follow up message, "oh and can you bring that can I left a few weeks ago?" I was in shock that he remembered after a couple of weeks he left a can, a whole one can of cider in my fridge. I wouldn't mind if we were students and a can was a valuable thing... but we were both working and earning decent money... Needless to say I haven't quite seen him in the same light since.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

snubbleste wrote: »
    1. I do that
    2. I would do that too, love to (attempt) fix things.
    3. I'd take discarded wood too if I had a fireplace. And if there were nails, I would not throw them in the bin along with the ashes but possibly put them aside to find a use even if it was for scrap metal! So much reusable stuff goes to landfill. Same way you don't throw glass away, instead recycle it
    So not stingy at all

I used to re-use nails from pallets, but only for other rough stuff, where it didn't matter. I still have a small box of old rough straightened pallet nails but for other items where a good nail is preferred it's just not worth the hassle of re-use when new nails are so cheap.
    Nothing wrong with re-cycling, in the right place and especially if skint.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Bins are "pay by weight" and nails in ash would add to that: also they are recyclable as metal.

Talking of bins, one thing that really riles me is people furtively slipping in bags of their own domestic rubbish into the streetside litter bin by the bus stop, or outside the corner shop. This in a very prosperous suburb. So cheap!

Friend of mine, knowing I was into old radios, handed me a classic Ferguson trannie from the 60s asking if I could have a look at it, as it had stopped working. It had been in his family for years, and was a favourite set of his aged blind mother, so I said I'd have a gander.
    "Oh," he said "it stopped working when it fell into her piss pot."
    I kind of shoved it at the back of the pile of stuff to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Friend of mine, knowing I was into old radios, handed me a classic Ferguson trannie from the 60s asking if I could have a look at it, as it had stopped working. It had been in his family for years, and was a favourite set of his aged blind mother, so I said I'd have a gander.
    "Oh," he said "it stopped working when it fell into her piss pot."
    I kind of shoved it at the back of the pile of stuff to be sorted.

Funny story but I don't see how it is stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Myself and the wife often stay in a friends house and visa versa But one thing that drives me demented is that she will not put bulbs in the bedside lamps of her spare room. 5 bulbs ive put into the lamp since xmas and she keeps taking them out when needed and never replaces them. Im not sure if it is stinge or not but it really annoys me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Frynge wrote: »
    Myself and the wife often stay in a friends house and visa versa But one thing that drives me demented is that she will not put bulbs in the bedside lamps of her spare room. 5 bulbs ive put into the lamp since xmas and she keeps taking them out when needed and never replaces them. Im not sure if it is stinge or not but it really annoys me.
    That's not stingy. It's called marriage.
    Have we run out of stingy stories?

Stingeing on the stingieness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is your fathers grave marked in any way at all??

Mine isnt. cremated and the ashes spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I assumed he meant the friend and not the wife, but no, it's not that stingy of a story.

I've got one or two. Both about parties. Anyway, I'm planning a really big 25th (cause I didn't have a 21st). DJ, band, burlesque dancers (I've a few friends who do it), the whole 9 yards like. Just a night to remember. I've a friend whose birthday is 2 weeks before mine and he said he'd be interested in having a joint birthday as he likes the sound of mine. I tell him no bother and quote him 300 euro (venue, DJ, band and dancers are costing me 600 euro plus another 100 for 80 people) cost plus an extra 1.25 a head he wants to bring extra (for food, they are putting on a pretty good spread). His face drops and he asks me what the cost is. So I tell him and he tells me if we have it in this venue and drop the band and dancers that it will be cheaper for both of us. I just look at him and tell him he isn't going to find a better deal than that for a good party and tell him to go make his own arrangements. He wasn't too happy with that!

Another one is about a friend of mine. It was her 21st a few weeks ago and one of her good friends shows up with a sh1tty present and a card for her. She then proceeds to drink lots of the booze that was bought (everyone was told to bring their own and that there would be a bit of spirits and cider for everyone too, pretty generous like) as well as steal other people's cans and bottles. So I see her and I ask her to stop and stick to the cider that was bought for everyone and she agrees. So we head to the club for a few more beverages and dancing. She barges to the front to get in with the birthday girl for free, despite the fact the birthday girl wanted another person instead of her in for free, proceeds to drink half the bottle of sparkling wine the birthday girl gets for her birthday before going around stealing other peoples drinks all night and bragging about it when we are in the smoking area (where she scabs fags off of people) I'd say she spent about 5:80 all together and that was on the present and card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hococop wrote: »
    Funny story but I don't see how it is stingy

Well I don't think I would have given a 60 year old piss stained faulty transistor radio to someone to repair - I would have just gone to Argos and bought a new one. Although whether he did this only because of your mans interest in old radios I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Seeing light bulbs mentioned earlier reminded me, I know a girl who took all the light bulbs with her when she was moving out of rented accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Neighbour was explaining how miserable another neighbour was - he got a replacement vehicle when he left his jeep in for service, when he went back to collect the jeep the replacement ran out of fuel about a mile from the garage - he pushed it to the garage (even though he had to pass a fuel station on the way)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Neighbour was explaining how miserable another neighbour was - he got a replacement vehicle when he left his jeep in for service, when he went back to collect the jeep the replacement ran out of fuel about a mile from the garage - he pushed it to the garage (even though he had to pass a fuel station on the way)!

Saved on a gym membership too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I loved the lad in work who pulled out this cracker...

"you wouldn't have 2 euro on you? Save me breaking a fiver"

Just die, you miserable ball of shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

mfceiling wrote: »
    I loved the lad in work who pulled out this cracker...

"you wouldn't have 2 euro on you? Save me breaking a fiver"

Just die, you miserable ball of shíte.

Them cnts are the worst of all.There's a yoke on rte2 just started about these so called 'freegans' 5 mins in and I nearly sick already.Ill still probably watch it though....

Them cnts are the worst of all.There's a yoke on rte2 just started about these so called 'freegans' 5 mins in and I nearly sick already.Ill still probably watch it though....

Eating road-kill was a great treat - for my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Seeing light bulbs mentioned earlier reminded me, I know a girl who took all the light bulbs with her when she was moving out of rented accommodation.
    She was dead right. I'd do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

sligojoek wrote: »
    She was dead right. I'd do the same.

If I had just bought them and they were expensive power saving ones damn right I would too! If they were Dealz or Euroshop ones then it's definitely stingey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

during the big freeze of 2010, a mate on nearly one hundred thousand a year, switched off the fridge freezer and put the stuff that was in the fridge in the shed and put the stuff that was in the freezer, in the snow!

He is never going to hear the end of it!

Advertisement