Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

:eek:

You’ll double down so little point in continuing here but jesus. The tills will be out for the day. That will have to be explained.

The tills wont be down as the original price was paid out.Plus most places have a customer service desk.So different tills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ncmc wrote: »
    You're not listening to logic, there is no way they can find out or anyone get in trouble. He returned a pair of unworn boots with a valid receipt. Whether or not they were the exact physical pair of boots listed on the receipt is irrelevent and unprovable as they do not have a serial number or any other identifying information.

That’s naive. These things can absolutely be noticed. One assistant to another: “Hey, wasn’t he in a little while ago? Why did you give him such a large refund on a sale item?”. When I worked in a shoe shop, my supervisor was incredibly clued in and observant to mistakes and discrepancies. She wouldn’t be looking for mistakes, she was just very sharp. And sales assistants do remember customers and what they bought. And often other assistants note things too. The sales assistant probably knew full well what he was up to but couldn’t prove it. Awful stuff altogether and a horrible position to put somebody in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It’s def underhand behaviour.

Is it theft/fraud ? I’d say yes as he has deceived the shop and denied them the profit that they we’re entitled to and that he was happy to pay for at the time.

Not a very nice thing to do to a business very underhand and sharp practice!

Shelflife wrote: »
    It’s def underhand behaviour.

Is it theft/fraud ? I’d say yes as he has deceived the shop and denied them the profit that they we’re entitled to and that he was happy to pay for at the time.

Not a very nice thing to do to a business very underhand and sharp practice!

Exactly. He agreed to the price he paid.

That’s naive. These things can absolutely be noticed. One assistant to another: “Hey, wasn’t he in a little while ago? Why did you give him such a large refund on a sale item?”. When I worked in a shoe shop, my supervisor was incredibly clued in and observant to mistakes and discrepancies. She wouldn’t be looking for mistakes, she was just very sharp. And sales assistants do remember customers and what they bought. And often other assistants note things too. The sales assistant probably knew full well what he was up to but couldn’t prove it. Awful stuff altogether and a horrible position to put somebody in.

Seriously i worked in a shop.And i wouldnt know one customer from another.Unless they where regulars or did something that made me remember them.

He brought back the same boots in new form.There wont be discrepancy though,he had a receipt for the boots he brought back.The receipt and the boots match,he brought them back within the timeframe.The shop are the ones that reduced the boots.So to get a pair back they can still sell in the sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I mean a manager signed off on the return though. If they turn around and give out to a sales assistant then that's not on the customer.

He agreed to the price, they agreed to the return.

It's like being cross that you gave someone twenty euro, they gave it back but it was a different note.

dubstarr wrote: »
    Seriously i worked in a shop.And i wouldnt know one customer from another.Unless they where regulars or did something that made me remember them.

He brought back the same boots in new form.There wont be discrepancy though,he had a receipt for the boots he brought back.The receipt and the boots match,he brought them back within the timeframe.The shop are the ones that reduced the boots.So to get a pair back they can still sell in the sale

My experience was different. I remembered many customers. And was on a number of occasions faced with pisstakers that you knew were being underhand but you couldn’t pin it on them because of loopholes like the beer revolu exploited (and admitted was sharp practice). As a lowly sales assistant, it was an shitty position to be placed in. But Smirky Joe gets a lump of money back so who cares, right? Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder what would the op done if the store didn't offer a refund and he was then stuck with two pairs of boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I wonder what would the op done if the store didn't offer a refund and he was then stuck with two pairs of boots?

Well, I knew that the store offered refunds with a receipt. If for whatever reason, the didn't refund the larger amount, I'd have just returned the new ones for the lesser amount.

ODB, please explain how the till would be out as you claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I've made some questionable life choices before but reading the last 4 pages is definitely up there.

Well, I knew that the store offered refunds with a receipt. If for whatever reason, the didn't refund the larger amount, I'd have just returned the new ones for the lesser amount.

I mean in general. If the store policy was not to give cash refunds (which they are not required to do in the case of a change of mind) then what would you have done?

I mean in general. If the store policy was not to give cash refunds (which they are not required to do in the case of a change of mind) then what would you have done?

Nothing.
    I'd just have been cross.

ODB, please explain how the till would be out as you claimed.

Oh no, I’m sorry I made a mistake there. Clearly, this was totally fine because of that error.

You admitted that it was sharp practice and deception in this post or at least “accepted” it. You can’t really defend it after that. Likely they knew you were exploiting a loophole and had no choice but to refund you. I recall dealing with people like that.

On a popular thread, your post about this story is lightly thanked. That’s telling.
    Oh, give over.
    There is no possibility of this coming back on the sales assistant of the manager.
    None.

They refunded €179 for a pair of boots, with a receipt for that amount.

I will accept sharp practice.
    I will accept a level of deception.

The notion that the sales assistant could lose their job - no.
    Not.
    Ever.

Nothing.
    I'd just have been cross.

At yourself for trying to pull a fast one I assume seeing as the shop wouldn't have done anything wrong? But at least you would have gotten store credit or a second pair of boots out of it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

dubstarr wrote: »

It's still fraud though.
    He accepted the original price and entered into a contract for that price.
    It was his tough luck that the price dropped subsequently.
    If we all did this when we saw a price drop, imagine the fallout.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

It's up there with a young wan buying a dress for a disco on Saturday night,wearing the dress with the label concealed and then taking it back on Monday for a refund and claiming it was never worn.
    Pure shneaky.

To thine own self be true

It's up there with a young wan buying a dress for a disco on Saturday night,wearing the dress with the label concealed and then taking it back on Monday for a refund and claiming it was never worn.
    Pure shneaky.

I have nothing but contempt for people who pull shit like that. They genuinely don’t see what’s wrong with it. SO entitled.

At yourself for trying to pull a fast one I assume seeing as the shop wouldn't have done anything wrong? But at least you would have gotten store credit or a second pair of boots out of it I suppose.

I wouldn't have bought the cheaper pair if I hadn't known that they would offer a refund as per store policy.

Let's imagine another scenario.
    I had bought the boots but hadn't worn
    them. On seeing the reduced boots, I bought them and returned the original boots.
    Would that be OK?
    If not, why not?

In this imagined scenario, the result to the shop would be identical to the result in my actual scenario.

• Advertisement

Pure shneaky.

Difference being that I returned the boots unused.

Let's imagine another scenario.
    I had bought the boots but hadn't worn the
    them. On see the reduced boots, I bought them and returned the original boots.
    Would that be OK?
    If not, why not?

In this imagined scenario, the result to the shop would be identical to the result in my actual scenario.

It was 100 euro not a fiver.Thats better off in your pocket than the shops.

Difference being that I returned the boots unused.

You know there’s different ways to deceive, right? And you admitted it was deception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Please close this thread. Was looking forward to some stinge stories not 5 pages about boots

radiata wrote: »
    Please close this thread. Was looking forward to some stinge stories not 5 pages about boots

Sorry, I'd no idea the shltstorm it would be.
    I'll stop.
    Favourite thread of mine, too.

Mods, perhaps delete the lot?
    (rather than close thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Just brought it to highlight that people are often not straight with each other. I wouldn’t point out the underhandedness if it wasn’t worth the hassle but I’d forever think less of the person. One case might be more serious than the other but I would find both knackery, to different degrees.

What is the difference between this person doing what they did, and buying the boots for 179, never wearing them, buying the same boots for 69 2 weeks later, and then returning the original pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no need to delete everything. this si a good stinge story. nothing ilegal as far as i can see. ****ty and bit lowsy of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

radiata wrote: »

yes, was hoping the same and reminded me that there were once great stinge story threads. why are they gone...???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I fail to see the theft too.

If he bought them for 179 and brought the same pair back for a full refund, and then bought the next day at the sale price of 69, the net result is they sold a pair of boots for 69 euro.

As it stands, they sold a pair of boots for 179, and another pair for 69. They refunded the full price of one pair. The end result is still that they sold one pair of boots, for 69 euro.

Similarly if he had bought the boots, not worn them, and seen them reduced, brought them back for a full refund and bought them again right there and then, no loss to the shop, still one pair of boots sold, 69 euro.

They are no worse off in any scenario, ergo no theft.

It does go to show the importance of keeping your receipt though, as he could not have done this without one, or if outside the returns policy window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

kenmc wrote: »
    I fail to see the theft too.

If he bought them for 179 and brought the same pair back for a full refund, and then bought the next day at the sale price of 69, the net result is they sold a pair of boots for 69 euro.

As it stands, they sold a pair of boots for 179, and another pair for 69. They refunded the full price of one pair. The end result is still that they sold one pair of boots, for 69 euro.

Similarly if he had bought the boots, not worn them, and seen them reduced, brought them back for a full refund and bought them again right there and then, no loss to the shop, still one pair of boots sold, 69 euro.

They are no worse off in any scenario, ergo no theft.

It does go to show the importance of keeping your receipt though, as he could not have done this without one, or if outside the returns policy window.

The shop is worse off, they still have the same number of shoes but they have €110 less in their till than they should have !

Advertisement