Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Shelflife wrote: »
    The shop is worse off, they still have the same number of shoes but they have €110 less in their till than they should have !

But in either other scenario I described they would still have 110 euro less. So still no worse off, no theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Shelflife wrote: »
    The shop is worse off, they still have the same number of shoes but they have €110 less in their till than they should have !

"Should have" is a meaningless phrase in this context.

There is no illegal, there are no tills left short, there is no fraud, there are no sales assistants getting sacked, there is just one guy on a high horse who doesn't realise he is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

"Should have" is a meaningless phrase in this context.

There is no illegal, there are no tills left short, there is no fraud, there are no sales assistants getting sacked, there is just one guy on a high horse who doesn't realise he is wrong.

I’m a she and I’m very comfortable in my position. :) When the person himself admits that it was deception, I’m safe in my position.

Way more people thanked purple mountain’s post following it which said the same as me. It’s hardly some oddball opinion here.

Way more people thanked purple mountain’s post following it which said the same as me. It’s hardly some oddball opinion here.

Sorry to break it to you, but nobody cares about "thanks".

Sorry to break it to you, but nobody cares about "thanks".

Superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

For the love of god. Let's get back to the stinge please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Tzardine wrote: »
    For the love of god. Let's get back to the stinge please.
    I have a stingey story for you Tzardine. I was recently fired from my job as a sales assistant working in a shop that is part of a chain of a multinational company. Some guy tricked me into giving him a refund for two week old boots and my stingey as fúck boss sacked me over it. :mad: The worst part is my boss is actually the one who approved the refund!! She covered her own arse by firing me.

It was only €112, peanuts to such a large company but now I am out of a job just before Christmas and will probably have to go on the game just to feed my kids. :(:(
    If anyone here can spare a few euro for me I would greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Guy Person wrote: »
    I have a stingey story for you Tzardine. I was recently fired from my job as a sales assistant working in a shop that is part of a chain of a multinational company. Some guy tricked me into giving him a refund for two week old boots and my stingey as fúck boss sacked me over it. :mad: The worst part is my boss is actually the one who approved the refund!! She covered her own arse by firing me.

It was only €112, peanuts to such a large company but now I am out of a job just before Christmas and will probably have to go on the game just to feed my kids. :(:(

I would give you a few euro,but im too stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Guy Person wrote:

I'll give you a few bob there. Can I have a receipt please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow this has exploded.....

I had a valued customer get the bus the other day.....

He threw in less then a €1 but had issues with how I spotted this as he stated €2.15.... he went nuts, eventually threw in some more coppers and eventually a €2 coin but only after the point of me just sitting there looking at him like I'd look at an ape in the zoo....

Turns out he should have paid €3 anyway as he went most of the way and of course got off.... Shouting outside at me and flipping the bird etc....

What a looper ...

• Advertisement

Guy Person wrote: »

Hilarious. If you are going to try and be funny, at least be accurate. The boots returned were not two weeks old. The receipt was.

In keeping with actual stinge stories and trying to bring this car crash back online.

A friend of my wife is as tight as they get. Think of Tam in Still Game and you are getting there.

Her and her husband both in well paid public service jobs. They are going out about 15 years or so. Despite this, she refuses to open a joint account and insists of everything being split 50/50. We were all in Tesco recently and she bought about 7 euros worth of burgers and buns. She made her long suffering partner transfer her the 3.50 odd before they left the store.

She told my wife she has about 50 grand in savings. Despite this, they got married about 3 years ago and the husband paid for everything out of an inheritance. She didn't put a cent of her savings towards it. She is just the worst. She refuses to spend a cent of her savings. I swear she would not dip into it if she needed a life saving operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Quite a lot of chain stores in the US will give you a refund of the difference if the price drops within a certain time frame, usually two weeks. All you have to do is bring your receipt and they give you the refund. It's not considered sharp practice, just good customer service.

https://lifehacker.com/all-the-stores-that-will-give-you-a-refund-if-a-price-d-1661273299

Quite a lot of chain stores in the US will give you a refund of the difference if the price drops within a certain time frame, usually two weeks. All you have to do is bring your receipt and they give you the refund. It's not considered sharp practice, just good customer service.

https://lifehacker.com/all-the-stores-that-will-give-you-a-refund-if-a-price-d-1661273299

If there’s a policy, good. If there was a policy in the shop he went into here, he would have said. Or not posted at all because it wouldn’t be much of a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Macy's in NY used to give you a discount if you showed them your Irish passport.

Oh dear lord please make it stop.....

Please more stinge....

Or not posted at all because it would be much of a story.

Ironic, since you have posted about 24 times in response to his story, I think your stance is clear at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Hilarious. If you are going to try and be funny, at least be accurate. The boots returned were not two weeks old. The receipt was.
    My story was unrelated to the previous 10 pages of nonsense.
    I'll give you a few bob there. Can I have a receipt please?
    Yes I can provide you with a receipt for up to €5000. Please give me the money and you will get the receipt in 6-10 working days.

Oh dear lord please make it stop.....

Please more stinge....

Will ye stop whinging? Feckin’ report posts if it’s such a issue instead of whinging. And yes, I’m whinging now.

Mods please could this thread be made no chat and kept to stinge only posts.

I have reported my own post to raise this as a suggestion.

Ironic, since you have posted about 24 times in response to his story, I think your stance is clear at this point.

Of course my stance is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Macy's in NY used to give you a discount if you showed them your Irish passport.

I think that's because it was assumed you would be bringing whatever you bought home to Ireland with you, and therefore didn't need to pay Tax on the item

Sure here many can claim tax back such as those from the US it's a big thing.

Knew a girl that worked in one of the offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Mods please could this thread be made no chat and kept to stinge only posts.

I have reported my own post to raise this as a suggestion.

Edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think that's because it was assumed you would be bringing whatever you bought home to Ireland with you, and therefore didn't need to pay Tax on the item

They still offer it. It’s for all international passport holders

Plenty of exclusions too.

https://www.visitmacysusa.com/voucher/savings-international-visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Less Sanctimony more Parsimony!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Dodge wrote: »
    They still offer it. It’s for all international passport holders

Plenty of exclusions too.

https://www.visitmacysusa.com/voucher/savings-international-visitors

Can we laugh at how stingey this "offer" is? You're right, it basically excludes everything a tourist might buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Can we laugh at how stingey this "offer" is? You're right, it basically excludes everything a tourist might buy!

Not all holders of international passports are tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Macy’s offer a discount for ‘domestic’ tourists too. When we were there a few years ago they had a big sale for ‘friends and families’ card holders or something like that. More than one staff member we dealt with swiped their own card to get us an extra discount.

I’ve seen staff in Dunnes here whip out discount vouchers too for people who don’t have any

So shout out to the retail stuff trying to get the best discounts for stinges and frugals everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Dodge wrote: »
    I’ve seen staff in Dunnes here whip out discount vouchers too for people who don’t have any

So shout out to the retail stuff trying to get the best discounts for stinges and frugals everywhere

I'd usually give any leftover vouchers to the staff to pass on to someone who doesn't have one or whatever. I was informed recently that they're not allowed do that anymore, orders from management. So Dunnes have become the stinge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,580 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I posted in a stinge thread but was so stingy I didnt include an example.

Advertisement