Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Universal Aviation Renovates Its Shannon Ireland FBO (Market Wired)

Universal Aviation Ireland - Shannon, located at Shannon Airport (EINN), announced the complete renovation of its FBO. The update to the FBO, includes a renovated VIP departures lounge as well as all new crew and operations offices.

"Our focus is always firmly on our customer, and leaving them with a memorable experience on the ground," said Derek Collins, General Manager, Universal Aviation Ireland - Shannon. "We have listened carefully to our clients' feedback, and we're proud that we have enhanced our FBO with the features and amenities they requested."

Traffic at the FBO (which has been open since May 2003), continues to grow, and Universal Aviation has worked closely with Shannon Airport to promote the airport's value-added services, such as United States Customs & Border Protection pre-clearance. According to Neil Pakey, Chief Executive Officer, Shannon Airport, Shannon's U.S. pre-clearance facility is the only one of its type in either Europe or the Gulf region and offers business jet operators the opportunity to pre-clear Customs & Immigration to the U.S., and proceed directly to their destination within the U.S.

"Universal Aviation is a key partner in the development of our Centre of Excellence for Business Aviation," said Pakey. "Universal's new lounge is a high-quality and timely addition to the services available at the airport, and we credit Universal Aviation for investing in this way. We look forward to continuing to work successfully with Universal Aviation in the years to come as we jointly develop more business aviation activity at Shannon."

"Shannon is known for being an excellent tech stop, but it is also an increasingly popular destination," said Sean Raftery, Managing Director Universal Aviation UK and Ireland. "This renovation is just the latest in our ongoing commitment and investment to enhancing our clients' experience at strategically important locations throughout Europe and the world -- whether through full ground handling facilities or highly customized supervisory services."

There were 4,500 business jet movements in 2011.

Anybody seen statistics for 2012, 2013, 2014?

American Airlines flight from Paris to Boston diverted to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

American Airlines flight from Paris to Boston diverted to Shannon.

I saw her coming in ..... anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Are they doing training. Just spotted the a/c out my window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Are they doing training? Just spotted the a/c out my window

VBaT9DghG-k0dwyDEshbFE07kXDZvKIDvk2-_W2M_FY?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

• Advertisement

hobie14 wrote: »
    I saw her coming in ..... anyone know why?
    Jet diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

CEO of Shannon Airport says sale of Aer Lingus to IAG means services can expand (Live95FM)

The Chief Executive of Shannon Airport says the finalisation of the sale of Aer Lingus to IAG means the two sides can now focus on expanding services at the airport.

Neil Pakey says the ongoing speculation of the deal over the past few months has resulted in a slowing down of negotiations about services.

IAG is to formally take over Aer Lingus in the coming weeks after agreement by the former national flag carrier's shareholders.

I wonder where could Neil Pakey see business expand at Shannon with IAG (Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Oneworld Alliance)

To date:

Aer Lingus serves Heathrow, JFK, Boston, Faro and Malaga.

Aer Lingus Regional serves only Birmingham.

British Airways uses Shannon for technical stops (London City – JFK), some pilot training and the odd diversion or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

CEO of Shannon Airport says sale of Aer Lingus to IAG means services can expand (Live95FM)

The Chief Executive of Shannon Airport says the finalisation of the sale of Aer Lingus to IAG means the two sides can now focus on expanding services at the airport.

Neil Pakey says the ongoing speculation of the deal over the past few months has resulted in a slowing down of negotiations about services.

IAG is to formally take over Aer Lingus in the coming weeks after agreement by the former national flag carrier's shareholders.

I wonder where could Neil Pakey see business expand at Shannon with IAG (Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Oneworld Alliance)

To date:

Aer Lingus serves Heathrow, JFK, Boston, Faro and Malaga.

Aer Lingus Regional serves only Birmingham.

British Airways uses Shannon for technical stops (London City – JFK), some pilot training and the odd diversion or two.

Don't see it because if you heard the language IAG have said is that SNN will keep what it has and he said nothing about growth outside passengers going onto LCY/JFK. It was all DUB/ORK or growth in services.

I can't see both SNN/ORK getting a MAD connection, I expect only one and think Cork.

Vueling - zero chance, I'm sure if they added BCN, FR would be in a rush to suddenly decided SNN-BCN is a good route to add.

I have to laugh at "slowing down discussions", such rubbish non are going to add services at SNN. There is possibility that LHR may get better morning slots and outside change of extra freq but can't see more than that.

I know people say I take a negative view on SNN and the above won't help but just look at what WW has said before about SNN....

Neil is covering his backside at the minute and the fact SNN is failing to attract new carriers since the big FR announcement almost 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The usual optimism from a user who seems to think that Shannon is the devils gift to Ireland.

At minimum I could see ACE becoming Year-Round. There's also room for an EDI service, more Americans connections, maybe a frequency increase or 2 on the sun holiday routes. FCO is also an idea.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The usual optimism from a user who seems to think that Shannon is the devils gift to Ireland.

At minimum I could see ACE becoming Year-Round. There's also room for an EDI service, more Americans connections, maybe a frequency increase or 2 on the sun holiday routes. FCO is also an idea.

ACE yes, gap left until a decision is made.

EI regional is not under IAG control so that will not impact discussions

FCO was operated by EI in Cork, Vueling a possible operator however as I say above FR will think Rome is a great route and an Irish operation is not a place Vueling will wast time fighting.

American connections - exactly where? and with who?

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at "slowing down discussions", such rubbish non are going to add services at SNN. . . . . Neil is covering his backside at the minute and the fact SNN is failing to attract new carriers since the big FR announcement almost 18 months ago.
    Why should he be covering his backside at the minute?

Firstly, last October Neil Pakey was quite clear in that the prediction for 2015 was for modest growth only and that their focus will be on route retention.

Secondly, is he not merely stating the obvious, that whatever business plans Shannon would have liked to have made to Aer Lingus this year, were not possible due to the uncertainty of the IAG takeover.

I think the US Preclearance facilities at Shannon could be more interesting to Willie Walsh now, once the takeover is completed. Don’t you agree?

Secondly, is he not merely stating the obvious, that whatever business plans Shannon would have liked to have made to Aer Lingus this year, were not possible due to the uncertainty of the IAG takeover.

I think the US Preclearance facilities at Shannon could be more interesting to Willie Walsh now, once the takeover is completed. Don’t you agree?

There is making business cases but we clearly know the EI stance on T/A ex SNN and Short haul is limited.

As for USPC, don't see him think much, could be across Europe in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

American connections - exactly where? and with who?

Was made fairly clear that PHL would become, in time, year round as a result of the JV

Anyone know what causedthe delay with UX272 (AEA272) to Palma de Mallorca today?

Was made fairly clear that PHL would become, in time, year round as a result of the JV

I was talking about new routes....

I was talking about new routes....

Well I wasn't, and you quoted my post?

Would there be a market for say a weekly MCO service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jamie would really live to know what your knowledge is of the aviation industry and the depth of your business acumen.

Your posts in this thread come across as the angel of death. Would you prefer the airport closed altogether ?

Why don't you go join the fosa group and feel the love !

kilburn wrote: »
    Jamie would really live to know what your knowledge is of the aviation industry and the depth of your business acumen.

Your posts in this thread come across as the angel of death. Would you prefer the airport closed altogether ?

Who are you directing this at?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Who are you directing this at?

Jamie2k9

kilburn wrote: »

I'm no expert but I see such a huge amount of unrealistic suggestions (no only referring to here) about possible routes etc and its so far from reality. The whole industry has seem major change in last number of years and this willy nilly opening of routes is long gone and unlikely to return again.

As for SNN itself noting specific against it however I have such a dislike for the political meddling which is still going on today which really gets on my goat. This sense of entitlement infuriates me and one of the most positives out of the IAG takeover is Goverment and Shannon Airport EI ops control is fully gone.
    Well I wasn't, and you quoted my post?

Would there be a market for say a weekly MCO service?

Possibly however the big problem is major operators shuttle passengers via the UK and even US hubs and it would be very difficult for direct service to compete. Is the 767 lowest capacity that could be used, 752 would be a stretch.

• Advertisement

As for SNN itself noting specific against it however . . . .
    Are there any positive aspects of Shannon Airport that you find good?

Jet diverts to Shannon after passenger suffers heart attack (Irish Examiner)

A passenger jet made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this morning after declaring a medical emergency over the Atlantic.

Air Berlin flight 7450 was travelling from Düsseldorf to New York when the crew turned around west of Galway at around 10.45am.

Are there any positive aspects of Shannon Airport that you find good?

It's a nice airport, good location, good setup in the region.

I have nothing overly positive to say about any airport in Ireland.

It's a nice airport, good location, good setup in the region.
    Fair enough but I meant more the business strategies that were drawn up by the task force and implemented by the airport since they gained independence.

Jet diverts to Shannon after passenger suffers heart attack (Irish Examiner)

A passenger jet made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this morning after declaring a medical emergency over the Atlantic.

Air Berlin flight 7450 was travelling from Düsseldorf to New York when the crew turned around west of Galway at around 10.45am.

**** Update ****

There were 295 passengers and crew on board the Airbus A330-200 jet.

Shortly before it was due to land, the crew confirmed to controllers they were carrying ‘dangerous goods’.

Aware that the flight was carrying dangerous goods and in the event the jet’s braking system overheated during the heavy landing, airport crash crews were alerted as a precaution.

Shannon enjoys bumper August Bank Holiday Weekend traffic (Shannon Airport)

According to Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Murphy, Shannon Airport has enjoyed its busiest August Bank Holiday Weekend in five years.

The airport handled over 40,000 passengers from Friday to Monday.

We have 35 destinations at Shannon this year and we are seeing growth across all key markets, which was reflected across the weekend.

Shannon enjoys bumper August Bank Holiday Weekend traffic (Shannon Airport)

According to Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Murphy, Shannon Airport has enjoyed its busiest August Bank Holiday Weekend in five years.

The airport handled over 40,000 passengers from Friday to Monday.

We have 35 destinations at Shannon this year and we are seeing growth across all key markets, which was reflected across the weekend.

Whats bumper about it?

Last Years press release..
    We will have over 42,000 passengers through the airport over the Bank Holiday period,

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/14-08-01/Bumper_Bank_holiday_at_Shannon_as_passenger_numbers_set_to_soar_by_20.aspx

Capacity actually down?

Maybe you overlooked the word "over" 40K just to find something negative?

Any response to this? You must have missed it..
    Fair enough but I meant more the business strategies that were drawn up by the task force and implemented by the airport since they gained independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I suspect they only put out that press release as Cork put out a similar one a few days previous.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else notice Delta used at 767 on the SNN route to cater for the passenger numbers over the bank holiday?

Flew out and back myself on the Aer Lingus flight to JFK and it was completely full in both directions (much to the disappointment of the 15+ standby passengers that wanted to fly back to SNN) ;-) Some were accommodated on flights to Dub though. Heard the check in agent telling them that their best option was trying to get on the next day's noon flight to Dublin cause that's rarely full. Be interesting to see will they operate that again next year.

Also heard passengers very disappointed with the Aer Lingus 767 aircraft saying the interior is extremely old and a lot of the problems with the IFE's.

Advertisement