Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I apologise, I meant that I had never seen an Air China 747 and EI-DVM in Shannon before this date so it had to be footage from the morning.

Actually both have been there before. EI-DVM has been into SNN quite a few times and the then Chinese Vice-President landed in SNN in an Air China 747 in 2012. Admittedly they probably weren't both on the ground at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Making of 'I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke' (Coca Cola)

"I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" had its origins on January 18, 1971, in a London fog.

Bill Backer, creative director on the Coca-Cola account for the McCann Erickson advertising agency, was flying to London to meet up with Billy Davis, the music director on the Coca-Cola account, to write radio commercials with two successful British songwriters, Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway, to be recorded by the New Seekers, a popular British singing group.

The heavy fog in London forced the plane to land in Shannon, Ireland. Passengers had to remain near the airport in case the fog lifted. Some of them were furious about their accommodations. By the next day, Backer saw some of the most irate passengers in the airport cafe. Brought together by a common experience, many were now laughing and sharing stories over snacks and bottles of Coca-Cola. Backer wrote of the scene:

"In that moment I saw a bottle of Coke in a whole new light... I began to see a bottle of Coca-Cola as more than a drink that refreshed a hundred million people a day in almost every corner of the globe. So I began to see the familiar words, 'Let's have a Coke,' as more than an invitation to pause for refreshment. They were actually a subtle way of saying, 'Let's keep each other company for a little while.' And I knew they were being said all over the world as I sat there in Ireland. So that was the basic idea: to see Coke not as it was originally designed to be -- a liquid refresher -- but as a tiny bit of commonality between all peoples, a universally liked formula that would help to keep them company for a few minutes."

When he finally arrived in London, Backer told Billy Davis and Roger Cook what he had seen in the airport café. (read more)

This iconic TV commercial probably reveals more my age but I never knew that the idea behind it was inspired by a plane diversion to Shannon in 1971.

Maybe the Shannon PR people should use the material for a flash mob promotion in the airport or add the video clip to their collection of airport memorabilia in the transit lounge display.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Actually both have been there before. EI-DVM has been into SNN quite a few times and the then Chinese Vice-President landed in SNN in an Air China 747 in 2012. Admittedly they probably weren't both on the ground at the same time.

Again, I meant at the same time. Really couldn't get my point across that night could I, it was like a mental block stopping me from typing the correct thing.

EI-DVM has been in Shannon before,as has the Air China 747, but never at the same time as each other.

Lift-off for new Irish “EJ” corporate aircraft register (Shannon Airport)

A new Irish aircraft register targeted at corporate and business jets has been unveiled. The “EJ” register is administered by the Irish Aviation Authority, with Shannon Airport’s International Aviation Services Centre (IASC) as a preferred marketing and support partner.

The new register offers the benefits of a gold-standard onshore EASA jurisdiction and is designed for full compliance with current and forthcoming EASA regulations including Part NCC. The new registration marks consist of “EJ-“ plus four letters, allowing for a wider range of personalised registrations.Working with industry-leading tax and legal partners, Shannon Airport’s International Aviation Services Centre (IASC) offers a cost-effective one-stop shop for aircraft owners, operators and financiers seeking to benefit from the advantages of the EJ register. Shannon, with its tax-efficient Free Zone, is designated by the Irish Government as the national Centre of Excellence for Corporate and Business Aviation and is already a major transit stop for corporate aircraft and the only airport outside the Americas offering US CBP preclearance to corporate aircraft passengers.
    • Public-transport and Non-Commercial Complex (NCC) Aircraft with a Maximum Take-Off Weight over 5700 kg are eligible for registration on the EJ register.
    • Ireland is a highly regarded aviation jurisdiction, trusted by financiers and insurers.
    • The country is home to the Cape Town Registry and offers a wide base of expertise in aviation law, finance and taxation.
    • The high quality of Irish regulatory oversight maximises the residual value of the aircraft and reduces insurance premiums, while Cape Town compliance provides for maximum asset security for financiers.
    • Shannon’s International Aviation Services Centre is showcasing the EJ register at EBACE, stand Z046

See also: Shannon showcased at major European aviation show in Geneva (Shannon Airport)

INCIDENT: ATR 72-202, EI-FXG Shannon Airport, 26 February 2014 (AAIU)

349277.jpg

Position of aircraft and the East Apron hangar

The aircraft was operating a multi-sector cargo rotation, with the first sector from Shannon Airport (EINN) to Cork Airport (EICK). After its earlier arrival at EINN, the aircraft was parked adjacent to the east apron hangar where loading took place.

Following engine start, the aircraft commenced its taxi with a slight right turn towards the lead-out line to the taxiway. During the turn, while under marshaller’s instructions, the left wing-tip came into contact with the hangar cladding. No persons were injured. Although the aircraft carried a small quantity of dangerous goods, they posed no hazard as a result of the impact. The parking area used at EINN was not suitable for an ATR 72 as this is a larger aircraft than the ATR 42 which was normally used for this operation.

I wasn’t aware of this incident but it only goes to show how a change of routine from an ATR 42 to ATR 72 can lead to an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

INCIDENT: ATR 72-202, EI-FXG Shannon Airport, 26 February 2014 (AAIU)

The aircraft was operating a multi-sector cargo rotation, with the first sector from Shannon Airport (EINN) to Cork Airport (EICK). After its earlier arrival at EINN, the aircraft was parked adjacent to the east apron hangar where loading took place.

Following engine start, the aircraft commenced its taxi with a slight right turn towards the lead-out line to the taxiway. During the turn, while under marshaller’s instructions, the left wing-tip came into contact with the hangar cladding. No persons were injured. Although the aircraft carried a small quantity of dangerous goods, they posed no hazard as a result of the impact. The parking area used at EINN was not suitable for an ATR 72 as this is a larger aircraft than the ATR 42 which was normally used for this operation.

I wasn’t aware of this incident but it only goes to show how a change of routine from an ATR 42 to ATR 72 can lead to an accident.

The ATR 72 has a wingspan of 88ft and ATR 42 is 80ft so there's a nice bit extra either side! 8 inches is enough to cause an accident and damage never mind 8ft, you also have to wonder what the Marshall was looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

An easy way to remember the wing span of the ATRs is to reverse the numbers of the type ie.

ATR42 = 24 meters
    ATR 72 = 27 meters

imurdaddy wrote: »
    The ATR 72 has a wingspan of 88ft and ATR 42 is 80ft so there's a nice bit extra either side! 8 inches is enough to cause an accident and damage never mind 8ft, you also have to wonder what the Marshall was looking at?
    In fairness the detailed report reveals a number of issues that lead to the incident (see PDF).

Fed Express, ATC, unchanged ATR 42 flight plan, darkness, bad weather, commander, co-pilot, marshaller and wingman were all factors in the incident.

Bottom line for me was that the ATR 72 should not have been parked there in the first place as it was too long and wide for that parking stand.

Apparently in the event of it being parked there, then it should have been towed out of its position but instead the pilot used his own power to leave the stand.

It seems that the communication between the marschaller/wingman on the ground and the pilots in the aircraft was very problematic.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

In fairness the detailed report reveals a number of issues that lead to the incident (see PDF).

Fed Express, ATC, unchanged ATR 42 flight plan, darkness, bad weather, commander, co-pilot, marshaller and wingman were all factors in the incident.

Bottom line for me was that the ATR 72 should not have been parked there in the first place as it was too long and wide for that parking stand.

Apparently in the event of it being parked there, then it should have been towed out of its position but instead the pilot used his own power to leave the stand.

It seems that the communication between the marschaller/wingman on the ground and the pilots in the aircraft was very problematic.

I know but it was still a bad mistake, on all there accounts

Fears business park development at Shannon may adversely impact pilots (Irish Examiner)

Shannon Airport Authority has raised serious concerns over the viability of a proposed multi-million euro development at the Westpark Business Centre in Shannon.

In a submission to the planners of Clare County Council, the airport authority have highlighted potential safety issues with the development of the twin office units, with a combined floor space of almost 15,000 sq m, at the north-eastern corner of the existing Westpark centre.

Plans for the development, which could create up to 400 jobs if given the green light, were lodged with Clare County Council earlier this year and a decision is due from planners later this week.

Paul Hennessy, safety compliance and environment manager with Shannon Airport Authority, urged planners at the local authority to seek the views of the Irish Aviation Authority before making a final decision.

In his submission to the council, he also stated that Shannon would support the Irish Airport Authority if they discovered that the new development would have a negative impact on the safe navigation of Shannon Airport by pilots.

The SAA is particularily concerned that the height of the buildings, and the cranes used during construction, may have an impact on the safe operation of the airport. In their submission, they said that “the Inner Horizontal Surface and the Transitional Surface of the Aerodrome Obstacle Limitation Surfaces” will be impacted by the proposed development.

At present, Westpark is home to 46 different international companies who between them employ around 1,800 people.

Looks like as if the Shannon Group and Westpark won’t be working together with the view of growing the International Aviation Services Centre at Shannon. :(

See previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Why they need to build no less than skyscrapers I don't know, that estate is filled with empty buildings that could be refurbished to a high standard of finish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looks like as if the Shannon Group and Westpark won’t be working together with the view of growing the International Aviation Services Centre at Shannon. :(

If the buildings are going to impact on the safe approach to runway 24 then the the SAA is correct to object.

Why they need to build no less than skyscrapers I don't know, that estate is filled with empty buildings that could be refurbished to a high standard of finish
    I didn’t realize as to what you meant by high rise until I saw a render for phase two in the Sunday Business Post - Shannon Supplement PDF (see bottom of second page).

In my opinion the original campus buildings were nicely terraced in scale around the sides of the hill.

But putting a high rise on top of the hill does indeed raise safety issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Surly it would be the IAA who raise such an issue and not the SAA?

One would assume they will be consulted and if they say it's fine it will go ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Surly it would be the IAA who raise such an issue and not the SAA?

One would assume they will be consulted and if they say it's fine it will go ahead...
    Steven Segal had something to say about assumptions.
    Paul Hennessy, safety compliance and environment manager with Shannon Airport Authority, urged planners at the local authority to seek the views of the Irish Aviation Authority before making a final decision.

Bold refers

April UK stats are out. Nothing of interest SNN wise, the MAN route has an average LF of 77%.

Interesting to see the growth of ex SNN Stobart Air routes at other airports, NOC-BRS for example is up over 40%, how many of them would have flown from Shannon previously I wonder?

Steven Segal had something to say about assumptions.

Bold refers

Silly me didn't read it all however why didn't the SAA consult the IAA before making a submission!
    April UK stats are out. Nothing of interest SNN wise, the MAN route has an average LF of 77%.

Interesting to see the growth of ex SNN Stobart Air routes at other airports, NOC-BRS for example is up over 40%, how many of them would have flown from Shannon previously I wonder?

SNN was down 3.8% overall for April but had growth of 30% in March because of Easter change.

Not too sure but I believe Westpark is sort of a private enterprise or at best a joint venture.

Think there was reference earlier in the thread to some court case where Shannon Development sued them.

It's my understanding that the IAA is a notifable party for planning purposes.

The Irish record on planning isn't exactly stellar.

Not too sure but I believe Westpark is sort of a private enterprise or at best a joint venture.

Think there was reference earlier in the thread to some court case where Shannon Development sued them.

It's my understanding that the IAA is a notifable party for planning purposes.

The Irish record on planning isn't exactly stellar.

Interesting, the SAA don't want some competition moving in!

Where can I locate these statistics?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much highlydebased :)

Load statistics:

Manchester 78% (77.6 rounds up)
    Stansted 80%
    Heathrow 75%
    Gatwick: Unavalible. Last year: 81%

Again in April, Stansted was the No.1 route at Shannon with the highest load factor (as far as I can tell) of all the UK. This is despite Heathrow having slightly more seats on offer.

I assume the Heathrow figures will pick up coming into the Summer? It would have been hit by the 2 extra weekly flights on the Stansted route.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Interesting, the SAA don't want some competition moving in!

Nothing as interesting.
    Irish Independant
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shannons-westpark-gets-bank-loan-deal-reduction-31077711.html

Seems the management of Westpark had a profit sharing arrangement with Shannon Development which they weren't honouring.

I see on Twitter that LHR route apparently going to A320 full time

Great! When?

The A319's are extremely unpopular with EI due to their awful leg room. Hopefully this will increase pax on the LHR route.

Any sign of getting an earlier departure time?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Awesome. Where did you see that?

That sounds promising.

• Advertisement

I also see that in response to a query on the airport facebook page apparently the 51X service from Limerick-Galway may be extended to run via the Airport. Current bus access to Galway is infrequent and prehistorically slow.

Advertisement