Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

bromley52 wrote: »
    Ring again and when you get through to sales ask to be put through to the loyalty dept. I had to ask 2/3 times. It doesn't sound to me like you were talking to them. Even if you were keep trying. You may have been onto someone with a hangover after the weekend.

Ring at about 5:50, the first line sales team finish at 6 and will be dying to get out the door and if you keep them talking long enough they'll eventually pass you through, Loyalty Dept close at 7,

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

After getting my bill reduced the other day I got my mam to phone and allow me to speak to them, got her bill reduced from €96 to €40 for 12 months, bb upgraded to 120 mb, extra bit added onto her phone package too. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

Well, I can't say I'm that lucky. Last quote is now 70 Euro, and a whole lot of nonsense about other providers not offering fiber optic into my house, when UPC does not provide it either. Guess I'll have to have someone else in the house register. More expenses to them I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

antodeco wrote: »
    I'll have to check my inbox! I'm on the max TV package, 2 HD boxes and 1 normal box. 120MB broadband and the anytime world package. Is there a singular price or a price increase for each item? If it's the latter, I'm screwed!

Have you been contacted yet? Still waiting for confirmation of the price increase. I know I'm getting it because I know for definite that the tv points are going up.

I have a similar package to you. I have 60Mb BB, Anytime world phone, Digital Max (DVR box) and a additional box upstairs with Digital Max.

My bundle is €73.21
    2 Basic tv points €7.11
    Digital Plus Subscription €3.75
    Additional Digital Max €6
    & Half Basic Concession -€10.86

That comes to a total of €79.21. I feel like we're paying at least €10 too much for what we're getting.

Anyone have something similar and have been contacted about increases?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bromley52 wrote: »
    The 120MB sounded great at first but I have since discovered that the wifi on my laptop will only go up to 70MB
    This thread must be sicking for those waiting for efibre upgrades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Paying €101 month, Fibre Powered Max 150, Phone/tv/Broadband ... also have Setanta sports added to bring it to €101 along with 1 multiroom. I WAS going to ring up and haggle about the new Horizon box and see what happened, or am i better off sticking to what i have and going extra 12 months for a price reduction? I am litterrally 2 weeks out of 12month contract.

I was told my new bill from March would be + €6:50.

Checked SKY and eircom both running about ~70-80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Just rang them this morning.

Currently paying around €75 PM, going up to €80ish PM.

Told them I was not pleased with the increase.

Lady on the phone offered €76 PM, no thanks, Sky are in my area every month and are offering great deals.

She then offered 2 Months free and €76 PM after that, told her €76 was too much going forward and I could go with Sky or get my partner to sign up as a new user.

She came back with the magic half price for the next 12 months for the package, unfortunately our 2 additional boxes don't fall under that but im still happy paying just under €50PM for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all, looking for a bit of advice on this. In the statement it says you can cancel or downgrade without penalty yet when I rang them they said if I downgrade I will be put into a new 12 month contract.

Surely thats a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I just got the letter... Cos I'm using/registered with myupc they are putting my bill up by €2 per mth which I suppose ain't bad but not happy with the basic tariff... Is the below good or bad?

I've Horizon HD in main room and a regular box (not HD not Horizon) in a second room, digital select extra. I've unlimited allowance BB at 100MB. I've also got the phone with FT world.

They tell me it's the 100MB bundle.

Total cost = €79 p mth. (going up to €81)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey all, looking for a bit of advice on this. In the statement it says you can cancel or downgrade without penalty yet when I rang them they said if I downgrade I will be put into a new 12 month contract.

Surely thats a penalty?

No.

Under normal circumstances, if you are in a contract and you want to downgrade your service, UPC would charge you a fee. In this instance, no fee applies.

You could argue that having to sign a new contract is a penalty but it applies to all their products (except premium channels) so not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Surely thats a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Paying €101 month, Fibre Powered Max 150, Phone/tv/Broadband ... also have Setanta sports added to bring it to €101 along with 1 multiroom. I WAS going to ring up and haggle about the new Horizon box and see what happened, or am i better off sticking to what i have and going extra 12 months for a price reduction? I am litterrally 2 weeks out of 12month contract.

I was told my new bill from March would be + €6:50.

Checked SKY and eircom both running about ~70-80 euro.

Im on a similar package you mentioned (€101 a month) - i rang last week and got 2 months completely free and €85 a month after that. Was happy enough with that so i took the offer. Can remove Sky Sports/Setanta for the summer bringing the monthly bill to around €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rang up the loyalty dept earlier as I'm well out of contract. I pay €63ish for unlimited BB and a basic tv package. I wanted to cancel tv only as I think UPC BB is the best out there and wouldn't risk headaches from another provider. I did look at Vodafone but saw the big complaints thread in their forum on here so think I'll stay clear for now- especially as the Vodafone reps are just ignoring the complaints on the thread- I was a customer of theirs before and they've got form in that regard so I'm not going back to be burnt yet again

The best UPC could do for BB was upgrade my speed and throw in a home phone I won't use for €37 a month.
    Towards the end of the call he also offered BB and TV for 12 months for €45 which I must say is a great deal.

I didn't do anything for today as the end of the month is the sweet spot for me to cancel my bill.
    I was going to go with Sky for 12 months as I'd get it free for the first six and then pay them 28pm for another six. After that I'd own their equipment and then use it to go onto free sat. But I still need BB and want to stay with UPC for it. So I might end up paying a little more by splitting my BB and TV bill but in the end I can eliminate the TV bill altogether which is attractive in itself. But dam UPCs offer of 45 per month is tempting !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Just on to Upc, was on 50 mb and 150 calls package for 42€ and was going to increase to €3 so €45 ( didn't get any email or text).

First to billing dept and very unpleasant lady kept saying, no you can't cancel it is only €3, and other tactics. I mentioned sky is giving me better deal so going with them, eventually she put me to cancellation/ customer loyalty dept and very nice lady first offer me , 2 months free and then €35 for 10 months.

I politely asked if she can do better than that as sky still works out cheaper, like 25€ for 12 month, she came back with 22€ for 12 month plus 120 mb broadband and 150 calls.

Basically half price, thanks very much all for your tips.

Don't listen to billing and keep insisting to talk to cancellation dept, good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice. This is the package that I'm on: Fibre Power 50 With Anytime € 47.00
    Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb
    Digital Telephony- Basic
    Digital Telephony - Anytime World Pack
    Additional Digital Select Extra € 6.00
    Digital Select Extra+ € 34.50
    Total (per month) € 87.50
    We got the email saying the bill would be going up €9 so my husband rang and got the extra down to €3 with no other changes. They have offered to change one of the tv boxes as its so old. Surely he could have got a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice. This is the package that I'm on: Fibre Power 50 With Anytime € 47.00
    Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb
    Digital Telephony- Basic
    Digital Telephony - Anytime World Pack
    Additional Digital Select Extra € 6.00
    Digital Select Extra+ € 34.50
    Total (per month) € 87.50
    We got the email saying the bill would be going up €9 so my husband rang and got the extra down to €3 with no other changes. They have offered to change one of the tv boxes as its so old. Surely he could have got a better deal?

Cancellation is the key word here, and tell them you are getting better deal from somewhere else.

I am not sure if he already accepted that offer then you might be in new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just got the letter today:

Your price change 3.50
    Your self serve discount -3.50
    Total change: 0.00

Can I still cancel? Am i better ringing up and getting onto loyalty team or should I cancel and sign girlfriend up as new customer. We are on 50e for 6 months and then 70something after but the 6months is just coming to an end and new customers get 6 months for 35e.

Just off the phone with a really nice guy in the sales department. Had a long chat about what was on offer to us. Obviously didn't come to an agreement, in his words, there's only so much I can take off before I'm on the dole and out of a job. Gave me the direct number for customer loyalty and told me exactly what I need to say to get a good discount. Also was willing to offer me the new horizon box for free and with no €45 de-consolidation fee.

Going to ring them tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Ohh... and he also told me that there was no increases incoming for those who have already signed up to myupc... told him I knew that wasn't true. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Gave me the direct number for customer loyalty and told me exactly what I need to say to get a good discount.

Please spill, on both counts.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Please spill, on both counts.

He told me to let them know that I was not happy with the price and to tell them that you are leaving unless they can do a deal. I suppose I'm in a special case as I've the distribution box on the side of the house for the rest of the street, so he told me to tell them that if I move from UPC that arrangement will be over too, meaning they would have to place it somewhere else.

The direct number for Customer Loyalty is 061 272 190.

Good luck! Will be ringing tomorrow at 9.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone with them. Got my bill reduced by just under 10 euro and got bumped up to the top tier horizon package free of charge, top tier phone package and get to hold onto all of our extras/ discounts etc.

Definitely worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Just off the phone. Said I wanted to cancel etc. got put through to loyalty. Got asked the reasons. Said that my connection seems to get saturated in the evening and that i'm getting higher speeds and more reliability by tethering to my phone on 4G.

She pretty much said ok to cancel you need to either email or post 30 notice, gave me the email address and that was that. No offers to try keep me etc!

Just off the phone. Said I wanted to cancel etc. got put through to loyalty. Got asked the reasons. Said that my connection seems to get saturated in the evening and that i'm getting higher speeds and more reliability by tethering to my phone on 4G.

She pretty much said ok to cancel you need to either email or post 30 notice, gave me the email address and that was that. No offers to try keep me etc!

People have been saying that on other threads too. They seem to either be selective on who they want to keep, or it depends on who you get. I was offered a discount before I even had to explain my position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Can you cancel if you sign up with MyUPC. We don't pay by direct debit, we pay online using our credit card after logging into MyUPC. We spoke to a guy yesterday and he said we couldn't cancel as the increase in charges didn't apply to MyUPC service. We are on the Essential Complete package which includes broadband, phone and tv. Pity as I would have liked to have cancelled or got a discount :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

People have been saying that on other threads too. They seem to either be selective on who they want to keep, or it depends on who you get. I was offered a discount before I even had to explain my position.

I think length of time you've been with them, how much you currently pay and have paid, whether you get all 3 of their services or just one would all play a role in what they will do.

Plenty of people on the Sky thread threatened to leave, Sky called their bluff and the service was cut after 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Angelica Rocks!

We have basic TV package and 30mb BB, paying €67 p/month.
    I rang up and said I wanted to leave, and she said the best price she could do was €50 p/month, with the first two months free, keeping the exact same package.
    Is this the best I will get, or should I push for top tier Horizon package?

Thanks for all the tips by the way, I never would have rung up had it not been for all the tips and advice above :-)

Yeah was surprised. Might see what happens if I send the cancellation email. They said to send the mail and someone would be in touch within 2 days.

I think length of time you've been with them, how much you currently pay and have paid, whether you get all 3 of their services or just one would all play a role in what they will do.

Plenty of people on the Sky thread threatened to leave, Sky called their bluff and the service was cut after 30 days.
    I've been with them around 4 years or so. Broadband and phone but have never even connected the phone. €42 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Finally we got a good deal this morn after a few days of them making offers we were not happy with.

Got a reduction of 30 euro (from 87 to 57, would have been 94 next month) They also gave us an upgrade from 30mb BB to 50mb BB and upgrade to extra TV channels.

It took a few days, but it probably does depend on who you get to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Just got the letter today:

Your price change 3.50
    Your self serve discount -3.50
    Total change: 0.00

Can I still cancel? Am i better ringing up and getting onto loyalty team or should I cancel and sign girlfriend up as new customer. We are on 50e for 6 months and then 70something after but the 6months is just coming to an end and new customers get 6 months for 35e.

This is what I'm curious about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement