Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

dbit wrote: »
    On the other side of this I wonder how modems will register in this Fiber solution , IE possible to run your own fibre and grab a 1k splice kit and "Tap" in lolz. Obviously there will be some form of mac registration setup (Should be a hell off a lot more than just that i realize this). Just thinking aloud as to how open this system will be to abuse.
    Could still use pppoe

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ONT is ISP provided. This will allow them to identify your access on the shared medium as it pairs and encrypts with the OLT. Whatever router you put in after that won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

I did see ESB doing it themselves yesterday in Ballincollig Cork.

so excite.

I saw esb with eqtel down by the quay, not doing anything, just there and later on in the week saw an unmarked van running a small-looking wire from a massive spool in under the ground.

Probably unrelated to fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

/\/ollog wrote: »
    so excite.

I saw esb with eqtel down by the quay, not doing anything, just there and later on in the week saw an unmarked van running a small-looking wire from a massive spool in under the ground.

Probably unrelated to fibre.

Are you not in clonmel ?? i didnt know you guys had a quay ? Or are you in Cork referring to popes quay area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are you not in clonmel ?? i didnt know you guys had a quay ? Or are you in Cork referring to popes quay area ?

Clonmel is on the river Suir, and is navigable .... and indeed has a quay ;)

• Advertisement

Clonmel is on the river Suir, and is navigable .... and indeed has a quay ;)

Either way Clonmel was the first place i saw the rollout , needless to say I HATE YOU.

Commute to cork would become laborious after the novelty would wear off for me..

Clonmel does have a Quay yeah, but I'm in Cobh now working in Cork City, maybe I should update my profile.

Clonmel does have a Quay yeah, but I'm in Cobh now working in Cork City, maybe I should update my profile.

Still hate you as COB - H is on phase one ya so and so.

Still hate you as COB - H is on phase one ya so and so.

hopefully they do better than eircom, my exchange isn't efibred yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So when are they hoping to get 1gb into homes?Is Limerick first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

From January they hope to start connecting first paying customers. Limerick City is in Phase I but I don't think it's going to be the first place to go live. Clonmel has been mentioned I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yes they have done trials there but not paying customers AFAIK.

murphaph wrote: »
    From January they hope to start connecting first paying customers. Limerick City is in Phase I but I don't think it's going to be the first place to go live. Clonmel has been mentioned I think.

January is earlier than I expected.
    Thought they'd drag their arse, like every other network provider.

January is earlier than I expected.
    Thought they'd drag their arse, like every other network provider.
    Huh? Eircom's VDSL rollout has been at a blistering pace. They'll have 1.6 million of the 2.3 million premises in Ireland reached by next summer.

Huh? Eircom's VDSL rollout has been at a blistering pace. They'll have 1.6 million of the 2.3 million premises in Ireland reached by next summer.

and they started slow as i recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If eircom were to take a legal action against ESB demanding direct access to ESB ducts and wires, they could be opening a can of worms that might do themselves quite a lot of damage too.

If (highly unlikely) eircom were to win a case against ESB, then UPC, Vodafone and others would equally be able to take a similar case against eircom for direct physical access to its ductwork and overhead wiring networks, exchange buildings, cabinets etc.

A precedent would be established that would be very hard for them to argue against.

eircom are opening up their ducts. Found this on the eircom Wholesale website

It the proposed Duct Acess Product Description (sorry can't post links but you should be able to follow

eircomwholesale.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2061

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

and they started slow as i recall.

They only started 18 months ago and over 1 million homes have been passed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Living in a new estate adjacent excellent upc and efibre systems. I can't get upc as they've no interest in crossing 10 meters of grass to service 25 houses and all future expansion in the town. I can get a fibre connection of 11/1 while the house in older estate 20 meters away has 100/20 service.

I assume this is the type of situation that esb/vod claim they'll be looking to service initially. As with so many streets eircom and upc have little interest in.

I take a lot of interest in others comments about upc/eircom and I can't help but think that esb could destroy eircom particularly as the dislike for them is so prevalent in Ireland. As for upc and their terrible tv boxes and that horizon thing.

In fact I will admit. I pretty much begged Vodafone to get here quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hackery wrote:
    They only started 18 months ago and over 1 million homes have been passed so far

I wonder how true those stats are...are they pretending they can reach all the homes in our housing estate that have a direct feed.

ESB-Vodafone will hopefully be our freedom from this tripe.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    I wonder how true those stats are...are they pretending they can reach all the homes in our housing estate that have a direct feed.

Pretty sure its based on the prequalification databases. So only lines that can actually get VDSL will be counted. Ignore the eircom retail map, thats nothing to do with wholesale statistics.

red_bairn wrote: »

The stats are true enough. Well over a million premises (a million was passed in September IIRC) can now get VDSL in Ireland if they so choose. By next summer it will be 1.6 million of a total of 2.3 million (so at 70% of all premises in the state VDSL will be available by the end of next summer-70%!!). That is phenomenal penetration of VDSL in such a short space of time.

Eircom have installed 4 THOUSAND VDSL cabinets already since they began in 2012 and will have installed over 5 thousand by the time the VDSL roll out completes next year (personally I think they will continue adding less profitable cabinets to the network adding a few thousand premises a year and connecting up new developments etc though obviously the really remote premises (in telecoms terms) will have to be subsidised or will never be connected to any form of decent fixed wireless. The rights and wrongs of this subsidy is for another thread.

Think about these numbers though before calling it all "tripe" just because your premises is not covered yet. Eircom was a dog of a company for years and now they are finally doing great stuff and get no recognition whatsoever for it.

You're direct fed. That's a ComReg problem. Eircom have a technical solution ready to go for direct fed but are waiting for approval from ComReg because of objections from other telcos. Your beef is with them, not Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I just wish the uso would be upped from 52k to 500kps

Force the markets hand

tv221 wrote: »
    Living in a new estate adjacent excellent upc and efibre systems. I can't get upc as they've no interest in crossing 10 meters of grass to service 25 houses and all future expansion in the town. I can get a fibre connection of 11/1 while the house in older estate 20 meters away has 100/20 service.

I assume this is the type of situation that esb/vod claim they'll be looking to service initially. As with so many streets eircom and upc have little interest in.

I take a lot of interest in others comments about upc/eircom and I can't help but think that esb could destroy eircom particularly as the dislike for them is so prevalent in Ireland. As for upc and their terrible tv boxes and that horizon thing.

In fact I will admit. I pretty much begged Vodafone to get here quick.

A little off topic but the TV horizon thing is well documented to call them and ask for a separate modem from the horizon box . This is a very silly notion to supply TV & web in this format, as when you need to restart your web the TV services have to go down with it. The web provisioning on the integrated boxs is impacted by TV and multi record functions and the vendor who made the boxs would have given upc multiple hardware build choices - they opted on the cheap on these units and they are just not able to perform all functions therein due to product selection by upc.

In any case where i hear this complaint I have always heard back that upc are more than happy to give you a separate modem as they themselves are aware of heavy user issues with these horizon all in one setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hackery wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound contrary but without concrete numbers backed up at least by ComReg, shower of wasters that they are, I don't think I will believe whatever coverage claims eiecom will make. Bear in mind that places that could benefit from shorter line distances to a DSLAM will not get this treatment owing to distance limitations. This could be due to good technical reasons such as vectoring but I understood that VDSL2 has similar parameters to ADSL2+ after a certain distance so I wonder if the will is there in eircom to do anything or in Huawei who were actually responsible for network planning and deployment planning and vectoring tweaking.

Someone within eircom has the answer but otherwise there is scant data on vdsl2 capabilities at long range.

And don't get me started on exchange fed lines!! Are they included or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

A little off topic but the TV horizon thing is well documented to call them and ask for a separate modem from the horizon box . This is a very silly notion to supply TV & web in this format, as when you need to restart your web the TV services have to go down with it. The web provisioning on the integrated boxs is impacted by TV and multi record functions and the vendor who made the boxs would have given upc multiple hardware build choices - they opted on the cheap on these units and they are just not able to perform all functions therein due to product selection by upc.

In any case where i hear this complaint I have always heard back that upc are more than happy to give you a separate modem as they themselves are aware of heavy user issues with these horizon all in one setups.

I know a couple of people in Shannon who went through the whole horizon box issue. Replacements etc. After numerous complaints both cancelled tv services and were promised new modems for broadband only. They never showed up and services were cancelled. This occurred months apart, and if I didn't know them I'd think it was just hearsay.
    I honestly think there is massive hatred of UPC and Eircom and both could be hurt badly by a quality customer focused ESB/Vod service

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The stats are true enough. Well over a million premises (a million was passed in September IIRC) can now get VDSL in Ireland if they so choose. By next summer it will be 1.6 million of a total of 2.3 million (so at 70% of all premises in the state VDSL will be available by the end of next summer-70%!!). That is phenomenal penetration of VDSL in such a short space of time.

Eircom have installed 4 THOUSAND VDSL cabinets already since they began in 2012 and will have installed over 5 thousand by the time the VDSL roll out completes next year (personally I think they will continue adding less profitable cabinets to the network adding a few thousand premises a year and connecting up new developments etc though obviously the really remote premises (in telecoms terms) will have to be subsidised or will never be connected to any form of decent fixed wireless. The rights and wrongs of this subsidy is for another thread.

Think about these numbers though before calling it all "tripe" just because your premises is not covered yet. Eircom was a dog of a company for years and now they are finally doing great stuff and get no recognition whatsoever for it.

You're direct fed. That's a ComReg problem. Eircom have a technical solution ready to go for direct fed but are waiting for approval from ComReg because of objections from other telcos. Your beef is with them, not Eircom!

1.6 million by summer 2016, not next summer afaik

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/news/2014/09/09/eircoms-efibre-network-available-to-one-million-premises/

Only for Conreg, we would still be on dial up. Eircom, like any other provider, needs to be put on chains. Porting a phone number used to take 2 weeks, now a standard line takes 24-48 hours.

I agree that they were slow on regulatory lice sing, but that doesn't mean Comreg is all bad.

The reason Eircom rolled out efibre was due to competition. There wouldn't be competition us less the market was opened up. E.g. upc.

Totally agree. Competition has driven all this. Yeah summer 2016 indeed but I believe they'll soon have reached their original target of 1.4 million premises, which goes to show how much slower and presumably more difficult/expensive it is to connect these (presumably) 200k rural customers up to VDSL.

The Huawei gear is performing exactly as expected and the whole NGA network is hugely successful. The original plan as 1.4 mil, then extended to 1.6 but now theyre making a move on eVDSL which will impact a load of rural village exchanges. That combined with the NBP tenders I wouldnt be surprised if they start applying for permission for extra cabs at some point this year and end up hitting targets sooner. Thats assuming the cash pool hasnt dried up and that KNN have the capacity to keep the rollout going at full tilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

ED E wrote: »
    The original plan as 1.4 mil, then extended to 1.6 but now theyre making a move on eVDSL which will impact a load of rural village exchanges.

What's eVDSL, and whats the difference from the current VDSL from cabinets?

Advertisement