Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Putting WISPs on the edges of Eircom or ESB fibre would make a LOT of sense.

I'm of the opinion that WISPs should be given maybe a tax break or incentive to cover 'off grid' homes.

They provide pretty decent services with very little resources. With a small scale investment and fibre backhaul they could really fill in a lot of the blanks for customers that will never see direct fibre.

The problem is Eircom historically saw them as direct competition as they also take call revenues, despite the fact that in many rural areas ADSL doesn't work very well at all. The ESB most likely won't see them as competition as they won't be providing deep rural FTTH.

I'd like to see the WISPs getting something like a tax break, access to backhaul over the FTTH infrastructure and help to become viable resellers of ESB FTTH too.

If we're serious about getting fast broadband to everyone good quality wireless will have a major part to play in areas that can't be economically connected to FTTH.

AFAIK Eircom themselves have or at least had WISP licences that they're never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Putting WISPs on the edges of Eircom or ESB fibre would make a LOT of sense.

I'm of the opinion that WISPs should be given maybe a tax break or incentive to cover 'off grid' homes.

They provide pretty decent services with very little resources. With a small scale investment and fibre backhaul they could really fill in a lot of the blanks for customers that will never see direct fibre.

The problem is Eircom historically saw them as direct competition as they also take call revenues, despite the fact that in many rural areas ADSL doesn't work very well at all. The ESB most likely won't see them as competition as they won't be providing deep rural FTTH.

I'd like to see the WISPs getting something like a tax break, access to backhaul over the FTTH infrastructure and help to become viable resellers of ESB FTTH too.

If we're serious about getting fast broadband to everyone good quality wireless will have a major part to play in areas that can't be economically connected to FTTH.

AFAIK Eircom themselves have or at least had WISP licences that they're never used.

most have un usable usage caps and are not worth a damn

fergus1001 wrote: »
    most have un usable usage caps and are not worth a damn

That's because they've no backhaul or inadequate spectrum though. It's not out of meanness. There are several with very reasonable or unlimited caps too..

A lot of these organisations are tiny, very community centric and running on pretty overstretched and aging equipment at thus stage.

They've very much got a role, but they need to be helped out a bit with proper onward connectivity.

That's because they've no backhaul or inadequate spectrum though. It's not out of meanness. There are several with very reasonable or unlimited caps too..

A lot of these organisations are tiny, very community centric and running on pretty overstretched and aging equipment at thus stage.

They've very much got a role, but they need to be helped out a bit with proper onward connectivity.

a program on the scale of rural electrification with fiber is what we need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

for now to fill the gap and for the purpose of future delivery of service to rural areas ESB Voda would stand to gain more than loose from this . Eircom i cannot see them being overly helpful as per they're duct access history and denial of same only selling llu packages from exchanges . The strangle hold is loosening at last.

• Advertisement

As nice as that would be, it won't happen. Also bear in mind rural electrification took decades to complete.

Wireless services can deliver very high speeds, if they're setup right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Also bear in mind rural electrification took decades to complete.

It would take a considerable less amout of time these days.

The Infrastructure is already in place, plus equipment and vehicles are of a far higher standard for installation of cables these days.

But I'll agree with you that a Countrywide installation on the scale of the electrification installation won't take place.

Eircom should never have gotten sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

dbit wrote: »
    Nova networks have been doing synchronous connections in cork for almost 20 years. Agreed not fair to squeeze wireless providers out of the market . When they were and probably are still the only service in extreme rural areas.

I can only imagine that vodafone esb would see them as a viable earner and not try to expunge - most of the wireless tower sites or transceiver locations do have esb lines running past them so ? would that not lift the question of doubt for them ??

ESB Telecoms have been supplying bandwidth to some wireless providers for years, digiweb is an example.
    They work as a backhaul and background network wholesaler, and have been for a good while.
    A lot of LTE towers are supplied by ESB bandwidth.

http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/news/current/schools-high-speed-broadband.htm
    Even schools are powered by esbt

/\/ollog wrote: »
    ESB Telecoms have been supplying bandwidth to some wireless providers for years, digiweb is an example.
    They work as a backhaul and background network wholesaler, and have been for a good while.
    A lot of LTE towers are supplied by ESB bandwidth.

http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/news/current/schools-high-speed-broadband.htm
    Even schools are powered by esbt

True but putting wireless providers on the edges of FTTH would give much, much deeper levels of coverage. ESB's current fibre network is pretty sparce and follows the lines of the national grid. Its fine for connecting a big node. it's not much use if you're trying to connect a wireless node in rural Co. Donegal.

You'd have FTTH in a village and blazingly fast wireless in its hinterland. That's a huge improvement on the existing setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

True but putting wireless providers on the edges of FTTH would give much, much deeper levels of coverage. ESB's current fibre network is pretty sparce and follows the lines of the national grid. Its fine for connecting a big node. it's not much use if you're trying to connect a wireless node in rural Co. Donegal.

You'd have FTTH in a village and blazingly fast wireless in its hinterland. That's a huge improvement on the existing setup.

If they're offering the service now, i'd imagine they'd be more likely to run a few more to areas just outside the ftth area to a wisp company what wants the extra bandwidth.
    a few years ago in clonmel one of the wisps had a mast near the town that served miles outside the range of any decent cabled service, however they got the internet up the mountain, situation would be similar i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is a little OT, but not worth its own thread.

What capacity can FWA support assuming effectively infinite backhaul? With the likes of LTE you have a small number of bands for each network that are shared between all users in that cell, but cells are small, or tend to be. FWA has less masts that cover larger areas, and going with the ESB+FWA combo it'd likely be a single tower in the middle of a town or on a hill nearby it. What can you expect from such a setup?

It very much depends on the network, the capacity between linked transmission sites, the amount of available radio spectrum allocated, the frequencies used, the specific over-the-air technology used (and how it's configured and what version), the topology, the number of users etc etc

Tons of variables which is why some services are top notch and others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh I get that, but what would the better examples be using? 5Ghz 100Mbs / x users.

I have an idea of what P2P links can handle, but not up at all on FWA. Must really have a read on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One thing people should remember, Eircom made a very detailed submission to the National Broadband Plan.

They said in no uncertain terms, that if you wanted to guarantee a minimum of 30mb/s to every home, it would cost more to do it with FWA/4G/VDSL then it would to rollout FTTH

It might seem counterintuitive, but they point out that the number of wireless towers required for those speeds would be a massive cost. Also VDSl at that speed would require too many expensive active nodes, which are also very expensive to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If rural dwellings can have phone lines and electricity connections why even think about anything other than a fibre connection?

Any other option is just a waste of money and time and a stop-gap at best ...... IF it worked for everybody!

So what if it takes 5 years to complete?
    The main infrastructure is already there, all is needed is the will and the funding.

Any mention of FWA at this time should be dismissed ..... instead find the means of getting fibre out there .... even if it does take some years to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That took 40 years to complete and there were far fewer one off properties to connect. Be careful what you wish for!

murphaph wrote: »
    That took 40 years to complete and there were far fewer one off properties to connect. Be careful what you wish for!

I fail to see how that is even relevant.

The infrastructure is now in place so the 'large works' are not needed.

Machinery is now available to do the work of many in much less time.

40 year down the road when ireland is a ****hole for doing buisness because we dont have the bandwidth to keep up with the rest of the world and we are all complaining about what we should have done years ago thats an ireland i dont want to be a part of

I fail to see how that is even relevant.

The infrastructure is now in place so the 'large works' are not needed.

Machinery is now available to do the work of many in much less time.
    You are seriously underestimating the physical effort that it's going to take to make use of the existing infrastructure to carry fibre. It won't attach itself or blow itself through the ducts. It's an even bigger project than Eircom's VDSL rollout, even though the number of premises that will be connected will be around a third, and that VDSL rollout arguably started in 2012. Eircom's core fibre network is much larger than the ESB's. The "easy" bit is running fibre over the high and medium voltage networks...the low voltage network is much "messier".

If it was a doddle to do it, don't you think the ESB would start in rural Ireland and hoover up all those easy to win customers?

The ESB has an advantage in having the staff on board full time who can actually do this kind of infrastructural roll out.

If there's one thing they are really good at it's wiring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

The ESB has an advantage in having the staff on board full time who can actually do this kind of infrastructural roll out.

If there's one thing they are really good at it's wiring!

It'll all be contracted out. Not as many ESB staff employed these days.

You are seriously underestimating the physical effort that it's going to take to make use of the existing infrastructure to carry fibre. It won't attach itself or blow itself through the ducts. It's an even bigger project than Eircom's VDSL rollout, even though the number of premises that will be connected will be around a third, and that VDSL rollout arguably started in 2012. Eircom's core fibre network is much larger than the ESB's. The "easy" bit is running fibre over the high and medium voltage networks...the low voltage network is much "messier".

If it was a doddle to do it, don't you think the ESB would start in rural Ireland and hoover up all those easy to win customers?

So you have gone from comparing it to a 40 year rural electrification project to a 'doddle' ....... you do like extremes! :)

.... and to answer your question - no, obviously not.

So you have gone from comparing it to a 40 year rural electrification project to a 'doddle'.
    Did you read the post or just one word of it?

Jaysus the bitchy trolls in here are ,........ Wheres my troll gone -- "AWESOME"

I don't see ESB paying KN as they do have staff to do the pulling blowing and so on .

Update Just saw ESB running fiber along poles in Ballincollig Cork yesterday , They are just at the start of the town from the cork city side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

dbit wrote: »

I don't see ESB paying KN as they do have staff to do the pulling blowing and so on .

KN did the ESB trails

KN did the ESB trails

Stands corrected.

I did see ESB doing it themselves yesterday in Ballincollig Cork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I expect it will involve both ESB and KN staff working together.

ESB staff have the expertise in dealing with the electric network and working near it.

KN staff have the expertise in working with fiber, splicing it, doing installs etc.

Yes i would envisage that KN will do the non electrical risk parts and ESB to do the trunk to towns over power line poles. Quazzi hybrid installation Teams . KN Engineers Don't fancy dangling around power lines that much im guessing. KN are gonig to be a very busy operation for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

On the other side of this I wonder how modems will register in this Fiber solution , IE possible to run your own fibre and grab a 1k splice kit and "Tap" in lolz. Obviously there will be some form of mac registration setup (Should be a hell off a lot more than just that i realize this). Just thinking aloud as to how open this system will be to abuse.

Advertisement