Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

jca wrote: »
    Oooookay.... Anything constructive to add to that post of drivel?

P.s. Please don't use the word awesome in your reply, thanks.

PMSL thats Awesome lols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

dbit wrote: »
    PMSL thats Awesome lols.

Let's take a selfie:pac::pac:

jca wrote: »
    Let's take a selfie:pac::pac:

I cannot take it please stop im gonna cry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    the reading I've done on GPON suggests they wouldn't need much more than the sub-stations.

The house should be fitted with an ONT on the wall, which would be a little smaller, but maybe thicker than the esb meters of yore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement

They'd use splitters along the route, which can be as small as those little circle thingies we see on poles today, or even bigger than an eircom cabinet
    only picture i could find of the small one is on here http://wikitel.info/wiki/GPON

I think the topology is: big cable, splitters, ont, computer
    That's why it's so cute to telecom companies, there's no stuff going on between them and you, it's just a dumb wire, split to however many people they can bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

yuloni wrote: »
    Starting to make a bit more sense now alright

So if I take my example now, the substation, which covers about 1,500 houses and to keep it simple, I'll say that's 190 per each village. They could leave the sub-station with a trunk fibre big enough that will supply 3/4 fibre pairs to each village so I'll just say a single 32 pair for now. Where this trunk fibre passes through the village, they splice out 4 pairs and the remaining pairs carry onto the next village on the route. Then on the 4 pairs they spliced out, they place on each pair a 1:64 splitter like your example image and link each house up to one of the spaces on it. Across the 4 pairs, they have capacity to serve 256 with splitters so that covers each village

This would work well in clustered areas around villages and the like but imagine the house sitting on it's own, miles from any village but not far from the path of the passing trunk fibre. I wonder would they would splice a pair out of the trunk fibre just for this house or perhaps run a small 2/4 pair fibre from the nearest splitter... which could be a few miles away in the last village

Call me sad but this is savagely interesting!

It is very interesting indeed! Your not alone.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is this could potentially save the ESB some money....

If they have fibre at each electricity meter they will surely go all smart meters.....

They would cut costs on employing meter readers and everything that goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

/\/ollog wrote:
    They'd use splitters along the route, which can be as small as those little circle thingies we see on poles today, or even bigger than an eircom cabinet only picture i could find of the small one is on here

That OLT looks familiar...is it possible to have these inside an apartment building for FTTB? I think I saw something similar in the apartment block I was living in back in Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

It is very interesting indeed! Your not alone.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is this could potentially save the ESB some money....

If they have fibre at each electricity meter they will surely go all smart meters.....

They would cut costs on employing meter readers and everything that goes with it.

ESB will go for smart meters if the government approves the National Smart Meter Plan, the latest results form an economic return on investment report shows that the plan may break even, but likely to lose a few hundred million in terms of the amount of investment outweighing the economic return, however I'd still say the government will approve it

The decision to go for smart meters or not is out of the hands of the ESB and can only be approved by the government via the CER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ukoda wrote: »
    ESB will go for smart meters if the government approves the National Smart Meter Plan, the latest results form an economic return on investment report shows that the plan may break even, but likely to lose a few hundred million in terms of the amount of investment outweighing the economic return, however I'd still say the government will approve it

The decision to go for smart meters or not is out of the hands of the ESB and can only be approved by the government via the CER

Are the electricity meters being currently installed by the ESB readable remotely? ....... no need to open meter cabinet .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Are the electricity meters being currently installed by the ESB readable remotely? ....... no need to open meter cabinet .... ?

Apart from trials of smart meters, no, the meters they install at the moment dont have that capability

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Haven't been keeping up with this, just how likely is it that this will serve any rural users within the next 3 years? Going to have to move for broadband connectivity otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Haven't been keeping up with this, just how likely is it that this will serve any rural users within the next 3 years? Going to have to move for broadband connectivity otherwise.

It's not. The best you can count on like many of us is this , but that's an even bigger fairytale!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

hallo dare wrote: »
    It's not. The best you can count on like many of us is this , but that's an even bigger fairytale!!!
    Cheers. My townland is on the list (and apparently on the "intervention list") but sure they'll probably give this to some wireless company that hasn't a balls notion what they're doing, just like with Three.
    Back on topic lads, looks like I'll be moving lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hallo dare wrote: »
    Depends entirely on his exact location. Even some truly rural houses (ie, one off properties well outside towns and villages) can actually get VDSL or it is planned for the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

murphaph wrote: »
    Depends entirely on his exact location. Even some truly rural houses (ie, one off properties well outside towns and villages) can actually get VDSL or it is planned for the next year or two.

and at what speed haha ?? thats a joke right ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

fergus1001 wrote: »
    and at what speed haha ?? thats a joke right ??

Up to 100mb/s, but as low as 7mb/s. It depends completely on how far you are from the cabinet. That is why FTTH is the only real, long term solution for rural Ireland.

However please note, this is Off Topic for this thread.

bk wrote: »
    Up to 100mb/s, but as low as 7mb/s. It depends completely on how far you are from the cabinet. That is why FTTH is the only real, long term solution for rural Ireland.

However please note, this is Off Topic for this thread.

well ill throw it back on topic

i think the esb will be used to build this rural build out

that is if the government are wise and think long-term

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

that is if the government are wise and think long-term

Dont think I've ever heard government, wise and long term thinking being used in same sentence before :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Why is pacman on the Government Broadband map? :pac:

red_bairn wrote: »
    That OLT looks familiar...is it possible to have these inside an apartment building for FTTB? I think I saw something similar in the apartment block I was living in back in Korea.

Usually how it works, yeah.
    We probably won't all get ONT's, probably 1 per 32 houses or something.
    I've read conflicting information, we'll find out next year.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Usually how it works, yeah.
    We probably won't all get ONT's, probably 1 per 32 houses or something.
    I've read conflicting information, we'll find out next year.

Missus lives in Clonmel will be watching this like a hawk.

"the Government could face a legal challenge to the new network from local wireless internet service providers, which are set to lose out under the new scheme."

local wireless providers trying to keep us in the dark ages :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Any chance of the source (presume a newspaper article?)

murphaph wrote: »
    Any chance of the source (presume a newspaper article?)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/broadband-for-700000-rural-users-to-take-six-more-years-30771580.html

sorry i forgot about sourcing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

"the Government could face a legal challenge to the new network from local wireless internet service providers, which are set to lose out under the new scheme."

local wireless providers trying to keep us in the dark ages :/

They do have a point. Local wireless companies provided services in areas that the others didn't think were financially viable. They've already been ripped apart by the farce that was the National Broadband Scheme and have struggled for years without any funding. Most have invested heavily in licenses and links and should be included in some way in this scheme, even as a temporary provider until ftth is provided nationwide. Fixed wireless when done right can easily provide 20mbit up and down

They do have a point. Local wireless companies provided services in areas that the others didn't think were financially viable. They've already been ripped apart by the farce that was the National Broadband Scheme and have struggled for years without any funding. Most have invested heavily in licenses and links and should be included in some way in this scheme, even as a temporary provider until ftth is provided nationwide. Fixed wireless when done right can easily provide 20mbit up and down

if they were not there at all the pressure would be ten fold on the government to do something

Nova networks have been doing synchronous connections in cork for almost 20 years. Agreed not fair to squeeze wireless providers out of the market . When they were and probably are still the only service in extreme rural areas.

I can only imagine that vodafone esb would see them as a viable earner and not try to expunge - most of the wireless tower sites or transceiver locations do have esb lines running past them so ? would that not lift the question of doubt for them ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

dbit wrote: »
    Nova networks have been doing synchronous connections in cork for almost 20 years. Agreed not fair to squeeze wireless providers out of the market . When they were and probably are still the only service in extreme rural areas.

I can only imagine that vodafone esb would see them as a viable earner and not try to expunge - most of the wireless tower sites or transceiver locations do have esb lines running past them so ? would that not lift the question of doubt for them ??

Exactly, most WISPs have been crying out for years for fibre access in rural towns and villages

Advertisement