Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hope you're feeling better, d4b, both body and soul. I'm finding it hard to keep my spirits up these days, a few weeks of feeling terrible can really wear you down.

Have ye told anyone yet? Family, friends, work? How early is too early? I always thought end of first trimester, but it seems people say it both earlier and later. I'd love to know what you think, and whether family/friends were put out if it was later.

We haven't told anyone so far except I've told a few official type people in work (I work in a lab so I was very freaked out about dodgy chemicals and at about 8 weeks I talked to health & safety people and the manager of my lab.) I don't want to tell my actual boss yet though, and apparently I don't have to. It kinda feels weird telling professional people that I don't really know, but not telling people that are close to me. Makes it feel odd, like I'm organising for something that isn't personal. Poor hubby has had the joy of telling the pest exterminator! He was worried about bug bait in the apartment, but he said it felt kinda cool just to say it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had my booking appt at 11+4 last week in the Wicklow satalite clinic- was very surprised not to get a scan. I was told that public patients, unless there are complications or prev medical conditions are only guarenteed 20 w scan. Booked private scan in Bray for 12 w, worth every penny! A weight was lifted off both my and hubby's shoulders when we were told everything looks to be developing on track and heard heartbeat. Told everyone in work, though a good few had guessed as I was walking off from ppl to get sick. Highly recommend the private scan though for any ladies going public who are met with the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had my booking appt at 11+4 last week in the Wicklow satalite clinic- was very surprised not to get a scan. I was told that public patients, unless there are complications or prev medical conditions are only guarenteed 20 w scan. Booked private scan in Bray for 12 w, worth every penny! A weight was lifted off both my and hubby's shoulders when we were told everything looks to be developing on track and heard heartbeat. Told everyone in work, though a good few had guessed as I was walking off from ppl to get sick. Highly recommend the private scan though for any ladies going public who are met with the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tigerrrr

Iam due to 3 September and had my daring scan on Wednesday ,officially 12 weeks.

MS was really bad but I am now able to deal with it a bit better.

Ginger biscuits are my best friend😉

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Although the sickness is not fun I think the worst part for me are the headaches, they have come on in the last week and I'm 9+4 today, they are so sore, I tried everything but last night had to reach for the Panadol as it was really getting me down. Just took one and it eased it completely. I'm drinking loads so it's not dehydration, I read it's hormones which is unavoidable just don't want to be taking Panadol regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Although the sickness is not fun I think the worst part for me are the headaches, they have come on in the last week and I'm 9+4 today, they are so sore, I tried everything but last night had to reach for the Panadol as it was really getting me down. Just took one and it eased it completely. I'm drinking loads so it's not dehydration, I read it's hormones which is unavoidable just don't want to be taking Panadol regularly.

I had these in my first pregnancy and they were horrific along witg everythin else
    Ive been goin for reflrxology and have found it really helpful this time would you consider this ?

Hard luck on the headaches, pastry, an extra layer of suffering there. (btw every time I see your posts I really want a nice flaky sticky pastry!).

We've an appointment on Wednesday, 11weeks. Not really sure what will happen then, hoping for a scan but will have to wait and see. Would love a scan, getting a bit anxious to know that all is well with the little nipper even though I've no real reason to think otherwise :rolleyes: just a worry-wort! I saw a few people on other threads talk about a home doppler thingy, anyone use one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Regarding telling people, it's a tough one to gauge really. As my GP said last time round - the more people you tell, the more you'll have to tell if something goes wrong. Very matter of fact way of looking at it but she has a point.

Anyway, we ended up telling everyone at 10 weeks - on our wedding day! Was too hard to keep pretending all the time. Up to then there were probably 3 people who knew, my best friend (and bridesmaid) and the best man and his wife, who as it happened was pregnant as well!

This time round, again it's a small handful of people know, mostly friends, haven't really told family yet. I'm a bit more nervous this time, being 4 years older!

I've kinda gotten over my deep depression of last week, managed to get a bit of retail therapy and human contact over the weekend so that cheered me up a bit!! Don't seem to be as utterly exhausted either this week (so far). 2 weeks to the scan - for what's supposed to be the shortest month of the year - February feels like it's been going on forever!!!!!

Anyway, hope ye are all feeling better too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

"Have ye told anyone yet? Family, friends, work? How early is too early? I always thought end of first trimester, but it seems people say it both earlier and later. I'd love to know what you think, and whether family/friends were put out if it was later. "

At first, being my first pregnancy etc, I would have been certain about keeping shtumm til the 12 week mark but then I had my early scan last week and everything fine so far :) and felt like telling one or two people. Heard the heartbeat. Very cool. I thought i'd tel my mother as she's been down in the dumps and it might cheer her up. She was superexcited and I was quite overwhelmed. She insisted on me telling my sister and I did and thought, grand leave it there. My sister was equally nuts with happiness and said I should tell my brothers. I started to panic then as there are still a few weeks to get over. I've now decided to wait another week til I hit 10weeks before I tell them. I just panicked as I found the 2 reactions quite overwhelming and was concerned about jumping the gun. I'm 9 weeks now.

Also, the scan put me a week behind my dates. I thought i was 9weeks but was told I was gestationally 8. Funny how, when the 12 weeks are dragging, being short a week, is a killer! :o

QUOTE:
    " Originally Posted by FurBabyMomma View Post
    Ah Karmella the best thing about being pregnant is getting to moan all the time ;-) I'm feeling very lucky as my symptoms have all but disappeared since week 8. But then you worry if that's a bad sign lol.

The only downside of not having morning sickness is already having a bit of a tum, my clothes are definitely getting tighter."

My symptoms have almost subsided too , now at week 9. It's great in one way but can be disconcerting at times! Even my super-sore boobs are less so. Hopefully it's all good. I really, REALLY can't wait for 12 weeks. I hope we all get there safe and well. It really is a nerve-wracking time!

• Advertisement

Ah tis a desperate long haul till 12 weeks isnt it
    This time round i felt the weeks crawl by.

Il b 13 weeks thurs n i do feel more energetic and that feelin that im goin to die with nausea and tiredness is a thing of the past !!

Hang in there not long left. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

10 weeks tomorrow....it's dragging by, I'm sure after the 12 weeks it will be speeding by and we'll want them to slow down! Still very nauseous, headaches have subsided so that's good! A good few people know now very hard to hide with the sickness all day everyday! How's everyone's cravings?! I'm loving tuc crackers and Philadelphia cheese - makes me so happy!!!:)

pastry2010 wrote: »
    10 weeks tomorrow....it's dragging by, I'm sure after the 12 weeks it will be speeding by and we'll want them to slow down! Still very nauseous, headaches have subsided so that's good! A good few people know now very hard to hide with the sickness all day everyday! How's everyone's cravings?! I'm loving tuc crackers and Philadelphia cheese - makes me so happy!!!:)

God that's hard for you. I got off lightly with the nausea. Occasional queasiness, not bad.

No cravings at all! Not yet at least! I can't wait to tell work as there is another colleague expecting and the pregnancy conversations are constant with those veterans sharing their stories and advice and I'm dying to ask questions too!!

What are you all doing about hair dye????? I've been avoiding for the first trimester. Luckily I'm not grey but the natural brown hair tone is a bit dull. Would love to put something in.

73trix wrote: »
    What are you all doing about hair dye????? I've been avoiding for the first trimester. Luckily I'm not grey but the natural brown hair tone is a bit dull. Would love to put something in.

Ive had no problems with this at all i go to the hairdressrs as needed

They say they use nothing that could do any harm.

Karmella wrote: »
    Regarding telling people, it's a tough one to gauge really. As my GP said last time round - the more people you tell, the more you'll have to tell if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same. Especially given that I'm living in the states. Bad news would be extra hard on my family and I'd be worried about them, especially my Mum. I'm no spring chicken either, so I'm deciding to err on the side of caution. But it is hard when talking to family/friends at home when they ask 'any news?' and I desperately wanna tell them!! Soon!

73trix wrote: »
    I just panicked as I found the 2 reactions quite overwhelming and was concerned about jumping the gun.

Also, the scan put me a week behind my dates. I thought i was 9weeks but was told I was gestationally 8. Funny how, when the 12 weeks are dragging, being short a week, is a killer! :o

Yeah I understand being overwhelmed by other people's reactions. My motherinlaw and sis in law can be pretty OTT, super excitable and telling everyone. My other half is kind of deaf to it after years of training ;) but I find them a bit much sometimes. I'm kinda quiet in comparison so I'm not really looking forward to telling them :(.

Ah the dating thing wrecks my head! gestational age vs embryonic age, what? no idea :confused:. I am 11 weeks "something" :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

10 weeks today, have told my sister, sister in law and mother in law but not my parents they are overprotective in the extreme and wouldn't slept for 3 weeks if they realised I'd gone to Malaysia 'in my condition'. And tbh I'm overwhelmed with this whole pregnancy thing and can't bear the thought of them fussing over me...

Won't be back til 13 weeks gone and my scan has been held off until then. My stomach is SUPER round and I feel I look obviously pregnant - I thought it wouldn't be noticeable at this stage??? Also my husband has said I need to drink lots before the scan, is that true?

Yeah the letter I got with my scan appointment says to drink a litre of water beforehand. I can't remember why this is though. Think it makes for a clearer image or something.

Enjoy your trip!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

The full bladder pushes your uterus out wards and also shows up black on the scan allowing for better contrast. It's because the baby is so small at the first scan at the later ones the full bladder isn't required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Harvey35

Hi, I was just wondering is anyone else due in September :)

Hi ,
    I know I'm a bit late to the group but I'm due September 2nd. We are moving from Melbourne in a few weeks to ireland for a couple of years. I thought this might be the best place to ask about the private and public system in ireland but as yet I haven't been able to work out how to start a new post! Lol! I'm not great with these things. We have 16 month old twins so this will be our third! We are excited !

Harvey, I'm living in America so amn't much use to you, sorry. But there is loads of info on boards about the systems. Best of luck!

Just had an ob appointment today, 11w+1, got to see a very quick ultrasound and hear the heart beat, wow it's fast! Very rushed, in and out in 15 min, but no problems so all good. A nice end to a craptastic day! Next appointment is in 4 Weeks.

The full bladder pushes your uterus out wards and also shows up black on the scan allowing for better contrast. It's because the baby is so small at the first scan at the later ones the full bladder isn't required.

Thanks Penny Dreadful and Karmella, that's really interesting! I just can't wait for the scan to be done, will be such a relief to have proper confirmation.

Good luck with your move Harvey35, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate! I'm not much good to you on public v private as I'm Dominos, which is area dependent. I bet there will be threads on it somewhere here though x

Just had an ob appointment today, 11w+1, got to see a very quick ultrasound and hear the heart beat, wow it's fast! Very rushed, in and out in 15 min, but no problems so all good. A nice end to a craptastic day! Next appointment is in 4 Weeks.

Congratulations, that must have been so exciting! Xxx

Hi ladies, I'm wondering is anyone else having problems with hunger? I find it comes on me all of a sudden and I need to eat straight away or I'll be miserable. I'm not craving anything, I just need food NOW. I'm afraid I'll be the size of a house by the time I reach 40 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

Hi ladies, I'm wondering is anyone else having problems with hunger? I find it comes on me all of a sudden and I need to eat straight away or I'll be miserable. I'm not craving anything, I just need food NOW. I'm afraid I'll be the size of a house by the time I reach 40 weeks!

Oh I'm with you there. Literally have to eat straight away or severe nausea sets right in.

Thanks d4b, always nice to know you're not the old one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭d4b

Thanks d4b, always nice to know you're not the old one :-)

I'm 10 +3 now. I'm praying it will lift soon. :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah I just find that I'm eating all the time!! Definitely need to keep the hunger at bay or will just feel sick!!

Getting unreal cravings for jellies though. No idea what's going on there. We have a load of mini bags left over from Halloween and I keep raiding them. My poor small fella would be horrified if he knew I was eating all his treats ha ha. Well he doesn't know they are there which helps. Same goes for chocolate. I got an unreal sweet tooth on my last pregnancy too.

Advertisement