Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hope your place gets finished soon comongethappy and you can settle into the nesting :)

So what is the feeling on new baby clothes, to wash before first wear or not to wash? I've no idea either way. Is it to clean them or to soften them up or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Each to their own I think. I didn't pre wash anything new last time round, I just did this time because they were all in the attic and had been for 3 years!

You hear stories about stockrooms being filthy and the like, but I dunno, do you pre wash any clothes you buy? Probably not. I think it's just one of those things that everyone has their own opinion on. If I'm honest it never even occurred to me to wash any of his clothes, I just read on forums about people doing it ....

You'll end up washing them as soon they are worn anyway so it's prob just a waste of energy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I've given mine a rinse wash to get rid of the chemicals used to keep them fluffy and preserved in the shop. Seems to be the given advice on the nhs website and other sites I've checked on as these chemicals may irritate sensitive skin. I always do this with any new underwear I buy for myself too just in case.

Thanks for the washing replies ladies. I think I'll give the clothes a quick rinse on delicates or something. I'll be washing any second-hand stuff anyway.

On an aside, it feels like the little beggar is trying to burrow his way down out of me at the moment. I've had a few short sensations in the past couple of weeks where it felt like something was grinding down into the soft middle parts inside my pelvis (I don't know what it is called) but only for like a second. It has been going on now this time for about 10 mins! Not painful, just feels... a bit uncomfortable and quite odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I just got non-bio tabs and I'll wash them all this weekend. The weight this week feels different it's right into my pelvis above the bikini line, verrrrry uncomfortable to stand for any length of time! Bit more tired this week even though I'm officially off work. I wonder will any of us go early by a few weeks?!!!ooooh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

[QUOTE=pastry2012 - I wonder will any of us go early by a few weeks?!!!ooooh![/QUOTE]

Really hope not! One girl in work went on mat leave last week and had her first baby the following day! Another girl had hers on the 2nd day of her mat leave :eek: I really need at least a week to unwind after a very busy job and busy family life and start to prepare mentally and physically!

pastry2010 wrote: »
    I wonder will any of us go early by a few weeks?!!!ooooh!

I hope not either! I won't be ready for that!! :eek::eek:

Although, the earlier I go, the more mat leave I get (weird system), so I should be hoping for a 38-week surprise :)

Did you get sorted with the doctor so pastry?? That's brilliant.

I was all set to go to my gp today to see about getting signed off, but I actually had a great night's sleep last night so felt a million times better. My son was at his dads so all I had to do when I got home yesterday was chill out :) was great!

I have cleared out my desk pretty much though, so if I decide to finish earlier than Friday week I'm all set to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Karmella wrote: »
    Did you get sorted with the doctor so pastry?? That's brilliant.

I was all set to go to my gp today to see about getting signed off, but I actually had a great night's sleep last night so felt a million times better. My son was at his dads so all I had to do when I got home yesterday was chill out :) was great!

I have cleared out my desk pretty much though, so if I decide to finish earlier than Friday week I'm all set to go.

GP called me back after I complained that I felt dismissed and that she did not take me seriously, she apologised, I felt it was a little insincere but I've decided to move my GP as we have moved house so it makes sense after bub is born for vaccines etc

Not much rest though as my sister broke her foot so I'm driving her and collecting her from work and collecting my godchild from crèche, hopefully won't be too long, my OH will take over next week when we get our car back from mechanic next Tuesday.

Has everyone got their prams and car seats sorted, hopefully mine delivered soon! It's a present from all my family and I'm panicking a bit as I want to get used to using it but don't want to be rude as it's a present!

Well glad you at least gave her food for thought Pastry (oops, pardon the pun!)

Went for acupuncture with the Moxa candle today, was quite sceptical as it consisted of the therapist burning a stick by the corner of my little toe on each foot but got loads of movement going on at the bottom of the bump while it was going on so you never know! Have to do it at home for the next 10 days with help from the hubby but wondering if my scan Friday will bring and news ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Pastry2010, so glad you got sorted with the GP. Furbabymomma, really hoping your baby is head down now, sounds promising!

I think I lost my plug last night - getting closer now! Still hoping he hangs on till the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Anyone else suffering with restless legs during the night?

Pastry2010, so glad you got sorted with the GP. Furbabymomma, really hoping your baby is head down now, sounds promising!

I think I lost my plug last night - getting closer now! Still hoping he hangs on till the 1st

Ooh comeongethappy you could have the first baby of the group, how exciting!!! :-D

pastry2010 wrote: »
    GP called me back after I complained that I felt dismissed and that she did not take me seriously, she apologised, I felt it was a little insincere but I've decided to move my GP as we have moved house so it makes sense after bub is born for vaccines etc

Not much rest though as my sister broke her foot so I'm driving her and collecting her from work and collecting my godchild from crèche, hopefully won't be too long, my OH will take over next week when we get our car back from mechanic next Tuesday.

Has everyone got their prams and car seats sorted, hopefully mine delivered soon! It's a present from all my family and I'm panicking a bit as I want to get used to using it but don't want to be rude as it's a present!

At least you wont have to deal with that wagon again.

Our stroller came last week. Other half had great fun putting it together. Car seat that clips into it came too. We had a hire car to do shopping in at the weekend so we tested out the car seat. It is handy to have both already.

Exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep day and night it's a torment

Just spilt scalding hot tea on my bump!!! Oweeeee. Think if bump wasn't there it would have just gone on my lap or straight to floor .... but no - right onto the top of it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Glad I'm not the only one who seems to catch everything on the bump Karmella! Ouch it being tea though :(

Furbabymomma, yep restless legs here too, hubby complains of being kicked a lot when I fall asleep on the sofa!

Glad I'm not the only one who seems to catch everything on the bump Karmella! Ouch it being tea though :(

Furbabymomma, yep restless legs here too, hubby complains of being kicked a lot when I fall asleep on the sofa!

I find if I elevate my legs it can help.
    As in using a pillow under them in bed.

I've heard magnesium and potassium may help too but I'm not too keen on eating bananas so I didn't bother.

Reflexology helps me great.
    Also rubbing on cool cream kept in fridge helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

I normally ask other half very nicely for a leg massage, does the trick. It's getting frustrating as im waking during the nice with it.

Yes, only at night time. It is very annoying. Don't have any advice for you, sorry. Just sympathy!

Just back from GP who thinks it's very unlikely baby is still in breech... Eek can't wait for Friday til I find out for sure! I've been feeling a lot if movement down the end of my bump the last few days, almost like she's burrowing in but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case it's feet or something.

Ladies do any of you know if they routinely do a test for Group B Step in pregnancy in Ireland? I know they do in America and I was going to ask about it on Friday at the hospital.

Just back from GP who thinks it's very unlikely baby is still in breech... Eek can't wait for Friday til I find out for sure! I've been feeling a lot if movement down the end of my bump the last few days, almost like she's burrowing in but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case it's feet or something.

Ladies do any of you know if they routinely do a test for Group B Step in pregnancy in Ireland? I know they do in America and I was going to ask about it on Friday at the hospital.

As in a vaginal swab? To see if you are carryin group b strep?
    Nope it's not a routine thing they check for.

monflat wrote: »
    As in a vaginal swab? To see if you are carryin group b strep?
    Nope it's not a routine thing they check for.

Hmm Ok, it just seems like such a big thing in other countries, kinda wondering why we're different.

Hmm Ok, it just seems like such a big thing in other countries, kinda wondering why we're different.

Possibly but maybe the less interfering down there the better.
    Let nature do its course etc.

Not sure how much research has been carried out in the area.

maybe??

Maybe it's another cost which is not fully necessary.for each pregnant woman.

However now in.kk hospital each pregnant women has to do the glucose tolerance test

2 yrs ago They only tested certain woman with risk factors.
    Now they test everyone as too many were goin undiagnosed.

So unless there is a high prevalence of strep b infections they may not routinely do swabs

Possibly but maybe the less interfering down there the better.
    Let nature do its course etc.

Not sure how much research has been carried out in the area.

maybe??

Maybe it's another cost which is not fully necessary.for each pregnant woman.

However now in.kk hospital each pregnant women has to do the glucose tolerance test

2 yrs ago They only tested certain woman with risk factors.
    Now they test everyone as too many were goin undiagnosed.

So unless there is a high prevalence of strep b infections they may not routinely do swabs

It's interesting the way these things work alright. I was given the leaflet about getting the Whooping cough vaccine and was seriously thinking about getting it even though I avoided tye flu vaccine. But then I find out that outbreak is in the UK and Northern Ireland but not the South so going to leave it. There's just so much medical advice out there and it's hard to know what to take on board and what to ignore. It was actually my sister who emailed me to remind me about the Strep B, but then she's a microbiologist working in the States.

It's interesting the way these things work alright. I was given the leaflet about getting the Whooping cough vaccine and was seriously thinking about getting it even though I avoided tye flu vaccine. But then I find out that outbreak is in the UK and Northern Ireland but not the South so going to leave it. There's just so much medical advice out there and it's hard to know what to take on board and what to ignore. It was actually my sister who emailed me to remind me about the Strep B, but then she's a microbiologist working in the States.

was also wondering about the Strep B as read about it in What to Expect When You're expecting book. But nobody had mentioned it. Not gonna think too much about it now. As for the whooping cough one, again nobody mentioned it to me at all until a friend said she got it. Asked the Consultant - was not saying either way - up to me but to go to GP for it. Went to GP just before the cut-off for it..... and completely forgot. Too late then but not gonna stress.... So much to have to digest and then ...er...remember...:o

Hear, hear. Only at night. lots of re=positioning and stretches to try to get some relief. Annoying though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i wasnt sure about the whooping cough one, but the gp and nurse i asked about it said you never know who has it, and nurse also said there was other things in the vaccine for the baby
    the vaccine is a Tdap vaccine. This is a low dose tetanus (T), diphtheria (d) and acellular pertussis (ap) booster vaccine which protests against tetanus, diphtheria and whooping cough (pertussis).
    i went for it on the last day i could get it, couldnt see any bad points online about it

had a scan yesterday, all good approx 6lb now and 21 inches 3 weeks and 3 days left

Advertisement