Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

That's fairly disgraceful alright pastry!! I wonder has she gotten stick before for signing someone off early who maybe didn't really need it? But even so, if your employer is ok with it I really don't see the problem?? She has no reason to Not sign you out. The mind boggles!!

I would definitely march straight into the clinic first thing Monday and demand to see a different doctor - if you keep seeing a different one every time anyway this shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Thanks girls I'll call Monday and ask to see someone else and then transfer to another GP. Just seems so ridiculous and such an unnecessary task for something that would require 30 secs of her time. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Thanks girls I'll call Monday and ask to see someone else and then transfer to another GP. Just seems so ridiculous and such an unnecessary task for something that would require 30 secs of her time. Ah well!

Still thou it's not as if you are 26 weeks n are sick of work?

That's terrible I would be raging too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I can't believe the GP refused to sign you off! I can only imagine the shock you felt, but definitely go back and demand a second opinion. I hope the GP gets a telling off

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Headed to my Doc (different GP every time I go!) and I explained that I wasn't sleeping and getting dizzy, lack of appetite etc and that I had spoke to work and they thought it best to rest they just required a GP note to sign me off a week early....and guess what the GP wouldn't do it!!! I was utterly shocked, I couldn't believe it here I am telling the GP I'm getting dizzy in work and my employers were concerned and she said she wouldn't give me a letter!! She confirmed my blood pressure was lower than usual and that would cause the dizzy spells but said not sleeping was not an illness.

I'm transferring my GP services elsewhere as I found her rude and very condescending.

Just wanted to know what you girls thought or am I totally being unreasonable to expect my GP to support me?

That is disgraceful! You are totally right to go see another doc. Can't believe that. And sleeplessness isn't an illness? That was a cheap shot. She doesn't know what she is talking about. Lack of sleep can really affect you, not just mentally or attention but can affect blood sugars etc. I work in an institute that specifically researches sleep and the body clock and their effects on health, what are we doing, wasting our fecking time???

edit to say: that wasn't intended as medical advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'm absolutely shocked pastry!!! With dizzy spells work obviously considers you a health and safety risk so I'd be telling that snotty GP they'll see her in court for liability if you have a work-related accident!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I'm absolutely shocked pastry!!! With dizzy spells work obviously considers you a health and safety risk so I'd be telling that snotty GP they'll see her in court for liability if you have a work-related accident!!!

Thanks for the support ladies, my OH and my mam were so annoyed but you expect them to be on your side but it's good to get all your opinions because everyone is so honest here :) not letting it go so I'll let you all know how it goes next week xx

Thanks for the support ladies, my OH and my mam were so annoyed but you expect them to be on your side but it's good to get all your opinions because everyone is so honest here :) not letting it go so I'll let you all know how it goes next week xx

Oh definitely don't let it go, it's very serious. At this point your health needs to be your priority and how the GP could be so dismissive of your dizzy spells is mind boggling. And from a health and safety point of view there would definitely be a liability issue if say you got dizzy on the stairs and had an accident after already informing work of your issues. My doctor actually put on my note for driving that I was 'unable to work for a month' due to my driving issues. When I insisted I was fine to work just not drive they made me go back to the doctor for another note as legally they would not go against what the original note said.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Sorry to hear about your hassle with your GP Pastry, hopefully you'll get sorted monday.

I hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend.

I was at the hospital monday blood pressure/iron is a little low - said its nothing to worry about. Also have low levels of rubella which i had last time.

Baby is also breech so back down at 36 weeks for check up and see if he/she has turned. I had an emergency c section last time. So i wonder what options they will give me. I always seem to have a different doc when i go down but same midwife.

Sorry to hear about your hassle with your GP Pastry, hopefully you'll get sorted monday.

I hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend.

I was at the hospital monday blood pressure/iron is a little low - said its nothing to worry about. Also have low levels of rubella which i had last time.

Baby is also breech so back down at 36 weeks for check up and see if he/she has turned. I had an emergency c section last time. So i wonder what options they will give me. I always seem to have a different doc when i go down but same midwife.

Oh god that's a shame.
    Has a vbac been discussed with you before discovering baby breech.

Hope baby turns for you.

I had emergency on first.

Elective was immediately offered on second
    I wanted a vbac.

Tried
    Unsuccessful

Elective in ten days

• Advertisement

first doc said we'll aim for vbac unless big baby/breech.

if baby hasn't turned and they suggest c section will they let me go to due date or take me earlier.

first doc said we'll aim for vbac unless big baby/breech.

if baby hasn't turned and they suggest c section will they let me go to due date or take me earlier.

39 weeks for elective.
    However if you playing the waiting game they may try turn baby for you at around 38 + weeks

However there is the risk of baby moving back as you know.

As you know you could try all the turning the baby etc and still end up with c s.
    But I would have done anything for a vbac

However if you said now you want a section they would book you in and give you a date more or less

What hospital are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Haven't used this site myself but heard good reports about it. Spinning baby.com. It gives advice on techniques to turn baby's in a breach position. It might be worth a look.

I have a breech baby too and if it hasn't turned by my next hospital appointment on Friday I'm going to a chiropractor qualified in the Webster technique - this treatment aims to realign the pelvis and loosen the round ligaments to give the baby room to turn itself naturally. I've had terrible trouble with tight ligaments all pregnancy. Failing that my hospital will try to manually turn the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I have a breech baby too and if it hasn't turned by my next hospital appointment on Friday I'm going to a chiropractor qualified in the Webster technique - this treatment aims to realign the pelvis and loosen the round ligaments to give the baby room to turn itself naturally. I've had terrible trouble with tight ligaments all pregnancy. Failing that my hospital will try to manually turn the baby.

Midwife said in parent craft that the exercise ball is good for getting baby in position, manually turning doesn't always work as it can wrap the cord around baby so he gets less room to move and c section is done anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I didn't think manual turning of the baby was practiced anymore?
    It's not the nicest procedure for either mother or baby and has limited success.
    I'd recommend yoga techniques instead and if it were me take the section over the turning.

I didn't think manual turning of the baby was practiced anymore?
    It's not the nicest procedure for either mother or baby and has limited success.
    I'd recommend yoga techniques instead and if it were me take the section over the turning.

I've been doing pilates, yoga, exercise ball, everything. If the turn doesn't work then it's section either way so nothing to lose. Depends on your bump and who's turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

The danger is of the baby getting tangled in the cord while manipulated. Sometimes it is effective, and sometimes the baby turns back to breech afterward.

I've been told accupuncture is very effective at turning breech babies, specifically it is the use of moxabustion (burning of the herb moxa near the body) on an acupuncture point outside of the little toe.

Last year a friend of mine had a breach baby in galway and attempted to get her turned, i think in hospital. So I guess it is still done.

Although, you never know when they might turn by themselves. I think I mentioned before that when pregnant with me, my mum tried to get me turned. it really hurt her a lot but the doc got turned me round. On the drive home she felt a lot of painful movement again and by the time they got home I was back in breach position again. A couple of days before birth I turned by myself.

I've heard of that too firestarter; the acupuncture along with the Webster technique are both on my list of things to try. I'll have a scan on Friday anyway so baby may have turned by then anyway.

• Advertisement

Hope all your babies behave themselves and turn :)

Well ladies I am absolutely wiped, I honestly dread another 5 weeks of this. So sick of it. :( I went out with a friend on Thursday night and slept very badly (as in not at all) after it and I haven't been right since. I was feeling nauseous and really sore and uncomfortable at work on Friday. My blood sugars are through the roof, even though I was put on tablets on Monday. Yesterday I just took my son to my brother's and then to a friend's so he'd be entertained, and today I had to ask his dad to come up because I just do not have the energy for him anymore. He's after taking him away and I've been in bed for the last 2 hrs. And then I feel guilty cos I hardly see him - his dad is taking him a lot for me.

I'm supposed to do another 2 weeks at work, but I'll be amazed if I manage 1. It's only a desk job but I just can't concentrate, and I'm up and down every 5 minutes filling a bottle at the water cooler or going to the toilet. I'm thirsty ALL the time, but I think that's the diabetes. I'll see how it goes tomorrow but if it's more of the same I think I'll just pay my gp a visit.

My bump is really tight, my groin / hamstrings are really sore every time I move (that's probably SPD or something??). And little baby is kicking the crap out of me!! I don't remember my son being anywhere as busy!! I was saying to his dad the other day that we'll have to name him after a footballer :)

I know it's all going to be worth it, but I really truly just want him out NOW!!

I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it Karmella. Would you see if your doc would sign you off a week early, especially with the GD and increased pelvic pain?

While I don't have GD, I have also been incredibly thirsty, and I know how all it feels like is that you drink and go to the loo!

It may help when you are off keeping your son in creche or with a minder at least part of the day so you have more energy for him. Otherwise, if there is a park or kids play centre around, try taking him there to wear himself out and then cuddle on the couch in the evening with a movie. I know it's easier said than done with kids, but hopefully if he burns energy while you can just keep an eye on him he'll be happy enough to have your attention relaxing together in the evening.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it Karmella. Would you see if your doc would sign you off a week early, especially with the GD and increased pelvic pain?

While I don't have GD, I have also been incredibly thirsty, and I know how all it feels like is that you drink and go to the loo!

It may help when you are off keeping your son in creche or with a minder at least part of the day so you have more energy for him. Otherwise, if there is a park or kids play centre around, try taking him there to wear himself out and then cuddle on the couch in the evening with a movie. I know it's easier said than done with kids, but hopefully if he burns energy while you can just keep an eye on him he'll be happy enough to have your attention relaxing together in the evening.

Oh yes he'll be in the crèche full time until at least a month after the birth, I just feel guilty that I hardly see him all week and then I don't have energy to spend time with him over the weekends. I'm very conscious of 'sending him away' with his dad (he doesn't mind this at all) especially as we only have a few weeks left of it being just us - in a few weeks he's going to have to compete with a little baby!!

Oh jeez I think I got my first bout of Braxton hicks around midnight last night. I don't ever remember having them on my first. Not pleasant. And I was being kicked inside out aswell.

Had a doc appointment today, doc said baby has turned head down

Good news!

Woo hoo that's fab news! I'm going to the acupuncturist tomorrow so hopefully I'll be joining you soon ;-)

Aww Karmella you are having a rough time of it, hope you do get to finish a bit early x

Great stuff!

Had a busy weekend but also felt crappy for most of it. On Friday afternoon, a girl in work threw me a little baby shower with my work group and 2 other groups from the floor. The girl who threw it is american and she was great, she made a 3-tier "diaper cake" with other little baby gifts in it and a gift card from a whip around. No crazy games but they did have a sheet going around with "guess the baby's DOB, gender, weight, length, name" on it. One guy put down 10lb and 24 inches :eek: The other groups gave us two baby gift baskets, one of which was really good as it was a new mom in the group who put it together. In all it was really sweet and we got some very useful stuff.

People are very generous. A guy in work offered us his co-sleeper crib, play gym and baby swing. Turned out the co-sleeper is too high up for our bed, so we decided to buy one that suits the bed but we'll probably keep his crib for naps in the living room or something. Spent most of Saturday trying to work out what we needed to get and where, while dying of nausea. Sunday we took a massive shopping trip to Ikea and Target (like Dunnes) and filled our wee hire car. Ikea chocolate helped the nausea :) So much stuff!! And all for a tiny little one! The apartment is full of ikea boxes and baby stuff now. The jogging stroller, car seat and other gifts arrived during the week too, so the place is in a heap. Now to actually get it all organised before the next wave of stuff from the non-work baby shower this sunday. Sure, you can't have too much stuff, right? :p

We are actually getting prepared for the arrival! Feels nice :)

• Advertisement

Great news and a load off your mind! Just the waiting game now!

My appt last Thursday they said he was head down and engaged. Had a new midwife, she estimated he was 7.2 -7.4 lbs by having a feel. They are just double checking my iron as I went off Galfer as it was making me sick.

Madeinamerica, glad you enjoyed your shower. It's great to get all the bits and bobs sorted! My house is full of dust, hoping they will be out this week so I can start on baby room and wash his clothes!

Advertisement