Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Is the plan for Strange to eventually join the Avengers?

Who will be dropped for him? I think Evans is mad to keep going as Cap and I'd say unless RDJ wants out they will do all they can to keep him.

I actually like Thor a lot but him and Hulk maybe woukd be up for the chop at least for a film or two anyway

Or else they'll just drop one or more of Hawkeye, Black Widow, the eastern European girl or Paul Bettanys giant red lollipop character

Is there any Marvel information out there as to plans of who to drop or add for future phases?

For instance roll with Spiderman, Strange, Ironman in a few years?

Really want Cap and Thor to stay tho I'd rather see Ironman gone than them but that's just me and also the fact RDJ seems to be untouchable for now
    Cumberbatch
    is confirmed for Infinity War and there's speculation they may also appear in Thor 3.

Rumour has it that
    Chris Pratt (Starlord / Peter Quill from Guardians)
    will be Infinity War too. No word on
    the rest of the Guardians
    yet.

In interviews, the Russo brothers have spoken about balancing 67 characters in the next two Avengers films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I read an interesting piece on Strange re Avengers
    he won't be an avenger per se he's been classed as simply his own side, given he's the only one that can defend reality or some such, so while he'll be with the good guys maybe not an official avenger

If Thanos kills some of them who do people think are most likely get the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rael wrote: »
    Cumberbatch
    is confirmed for Infinity War and there's speculation they may also appear in Thor 3.

Rumour has it that
    Chris Pratt (Starlord / Peter Quill from Guardians)
    will be Infinity War too. No word on
    the rest of the Guardians
    yet.

In interviews, the Russo brothers have spoken about balancing 67 characters in the next two Avengers films.

They haven't talked about balancing 67 characters, just that they drew up a list of all the characters who have, will or might appear in films, but most of them will be struck off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Saw it last week. Enjoyed it! I'm not a comic reader so Strange is new to me, but I really liked it!

The one thing I didn't like was
    the bad guy. They made him out to be the worst in the universe. Can anyone tell me where Dormammu ranks in relation to Thanos in the whole big baddy scale? I was dead sure that when the Ancient one was telling Strange about him and how evil he is, and we see his eyes for a brief moment; that it was Thanos!

macslash wrote: »
    Saw it last week. Enjoyed it! I'm not a comic reader so Strange is new to me, but I really liked it!

The one thing I didn't like was
    the bad guy. They made him out to be the worst in the universe. Can anyone tell me where Dormammu ranks in relation to Thanos in the whole big baddy scale? I was dead sure that when the Ancient one was telling Strange about him and how evil he is, and we see his eyes for a brief moment; that it was Thanos!
    It's a bit different as Dormammu isn't a bigger baddie in the universe that Thanos is, because Dormammu isn't from this universe, he's from another universe/dimension. However, seeing as how the Ancient One and other sorcerers have been able to keep Dormammu at bay for centuries (quite easily for the most part it seems) and Dormammu seemingly can't take over the universe unless someone helps him from within the universe, he's not really that big a threat all things considered.

With Thanos though, if he collects all the infinity stones, would be a huge threat.

• Advertisement

One thing I'm really glad of with this film was that going into it, I was sure the
    Eye of Agamotto would be the Soul Stone, given the whole Astral Projection thing. However having it be the Time Stone and the use of it throughout the film was incredibly well done. They worked it in brilliantly and made proper use of it not only for some of the best effects but also how it was used to beat Dormammu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Although I really enjoyed the film I feel that Strange became too powerful by the end of the movie and this may be a problem in the sequel. Like the guardians of the galaxy I immediately forgot the name of the bad guy on leaving the cinema- in both cases they were so underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Is the plan for Strange to eventually join the Avengers?

Who will be dropped for him? I think Evans is mad to keep going as Cap and I'd say unless RDJ wants out they will do all they can to keep him.

I actually like Thor a lot but him and Hulk maybe woukd be up for the chop at least for a film or two anyway

Or else they'll just drop one or more of Hawkeye, Black Widow, the eastern European girl or Paul Bettanys giant red lollipop character

Is there any Marvel information out there as to plans of who to drop or add for future phases?

For instance roll with Spiderman, Strange, Ironman in a few years?

Really want Cap and Thor to stay tho I'd rather see Ironman gone than them but that's just me and also the fact RDJ seems to be untouchable for now
    I think Strange can work alongside the Avengers without "officially" joining them. I can see the MCU Strange being very much like his comicbook counterpart in that while he'll have no problem working alongside them, there'll be a touch of arrogance in that he'll see himself as above them. The mid credit scene striked on that for me as well in that he
    more or less says he'll help as long as you do as I say.

I liked it anyway, Benedict's performance aside I also liked the whole healing of the body and mind thing that was going on. It got a bit too straightforward at times but if I look at is as a character piece, I'd see it as a very successful introduction for Strange.

Depending on how they play things in Phase 4, I wonder if they would go down the Illuminati route or if they'd want to steer away from in fighting after the Infinity Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it again today . this time in 3D.

enjoyed it MUCH better this time. weirdly thats in line with "captain america : the first avenger" . dunno why but the stuff i found a bit clunky at the begining first time around didnt bother me at all this viewing.

the 3D is BRILLIANT IMO.

Really really ads to it and as others have said the bigger the screen ya can get the better.

it was a no brainer it'd enhance the surreal dimension hopping stuff but i was surprised at how much it added to little things. anything to do with cities for instance . i didnt even cop avengers tower was in a shot first time around and even when strange was just driving around a few blocks in his lambo it looked really smooth .

i still hate the fecking format but at the very least i can say its worth something here.

Forgot to say on the dislikes, Marvel usually place their humour well but it felt poor here. I did enjoy Strange's sarkiness but the whole Beyonce lark and Wong laughing like a maniac just felt forced.

Pacing wise it also felt very chaotic, with things that could or should have been left for a sequel being rushed in order to advance another character's arc. That being said, the chaotic pace worked in other regards in that it allowed us to bypass the usual tropes that would be simply irritating to go through again at this stage (such as the disbelieving/sceptical love interest/friend).

In short, I guess the film is simply what it is and it either works or doesn't for each individual. It worked for me purely for hitting the right notes that I wanted to be hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not long out of this.

Visually, it's incredibly impressive. Some of the most aesthetically pleasing visuals I've seen on screen for some time.

BUT

I found it lacking.

Strange as a character felt a bit like Tesco Value Tony Stark to me. Egotistical but not as snappy with his delivery.

Felt like it plodded along and I was left feeling disappointed with it.

It deserves your money for visuals alone but there's very little else that make it a truly meaningful addition to the MCU imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Watched it tonight in 3D, Excellent Movie

wow.

its made 132 mil already and its looking to open at 80 mil in the states.

theres alot of lads at the mouse dancing now i bet.

wow.

its made 132 mil already and its looking to open at 80 mil in the states.

theres alot of lads at the mouse dancing now i bet.

Amazing but I'd be surprised if it shows legs. I can understand why GOTG was a box office freak, but I can't see anything about DS that would make insane figures.

It will do well to make figures comparable to BvS and SS.

if it got anywhere near BvS and SS i'd think they'd be ecstatic.

i mean its doctor strange. no one besides complete nerds knew who he was up to recently and it was IMO a very risky movie to make for them.

i was betting they'd hope he do antman numbers. now its looking more like GOTG numbers.

to me i can see him doing it but mainly as a "must see effects film". it really IS unique on that front and as some reviewers have being saying its gotta have the visual effects oscar in the bag.

word of mouth on that is what i think has delivered so far and i reckon will give it legs. also theres feck all out like it till the harry potter spin off comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Amazing but I'd be surprised if it shows legs. I can understand why GOTG was a box office freak, but I can't see anything about DS that would make insane figures.

It will do well to make figures comparable to BvS and SS.

In fairness, I don't think Marvel will be expecting that. The fact that that's a conversation to be had says more about BvS than any movie. Doctor Strange had a budget $30m bigger than Ant-Man, which seemed to be more successful than expected. If DS does around the same as A-M, I'm sure they'll be happy.

Also, Marvel's standalone origin movies are solid investments. This movie sets up the character, we'll see him again in
    Infinity War & possibly Avengers 4
    and by the time his sequel comes around, the character has a solid fan base that it didn't have before. I think this'll do really well but even if it underperforms, they're gonna play the long game.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The film will probably break even this weekend with it's worldwide box office and anything it earns from then on will be profit for Disney who will be very happy with lesser know comic book character drawing that kind of money.

If Doctor Strange get's anywhere close to BvsS's box office I think that say more about the failure of DC and the two biggest comic book characters in the world not being able to draw money.

In fairness, I don't think Marvel will be expecting that. The fact that that's a conversation to be had says more about BvS than any movie. Doctor Strange had a budget $30m bigger than Ant-Man, which seemed to be more successful than expected. If DS does around the same as A-M, I'm sure they'll be happy.

Also, Marvel's standalone origin movies are solid investments. This movie sets up the character, we'll see him again in
    Infinity War & possibly Avengers 4
    and by the time his sequel comes around, the character has a solid fan base that it didn't have before. I think this'll do really well but even if it underperforms, they're gonna play the long game.

Oh I agree Strange has no pressure to achieve such figures. I just wasn't expecting such a strong opening. As I said I understand how GotG made ridiculous figures in that I can see why people went to it twice, three times, etc...word of mouth was earned.

Whereas with Strange, it was as good as Ant Man but no more imo, yet Ant Man did not perform as hoped.

That being said, people in work said to me that they were humming and hawing over seeing it but were won over by my praise of Benedict, so I was contributing to word of mouth without realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd say the fact they got Benedict Cumberbatch, a big draw between Sherlock, the Hobbit and The Imitation Game, playing Doctor Strange is a big factor in getting bums on the cinema seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

flazio wrote:
    I'd say the fact they got Benedict Cumberbatch, a big draw between Sherlock, the Hobbit and The Imitation Game, playing Doctor Strange is a big factor in getting bums on the cinema seats.

Is this getting a release in China? He's huge there and Cumberbitches be craaaazy!!

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is this getting a release in China? He's huge there and Cumberbitches be craaaazy!!

''Tis indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

$84.9 Million Opening in the US this weekend.

$325,389,000 Worldwide total so far:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel716.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

500 Mil worldwide now, looks like another winner from Disney

Have seen it twice now.

I still really like it. It's not up there with the best of them, but it's still really enjoyable, interesting and most of the action is done terrifically well. They balance exposition and action quite well, and use the magic in pretty creative ways.

Penn wrote: »
    Have seen it twice now.

I still really like it. It's not up there with the best of them, but it's still really enjoyable, interesting and most of the action is done terrifically well. They balance exposition and action quite well, and use the magic in pretty creative ways.

Agreed; I've seen it three times now and the visuals are still as fantastic, the jokes still as funny and the action still as engaging. I think
    Ejiofor's Mordo is Marvel's next shot at a great villain; could be Phase 4's answer to Loki.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I knew absolutely nothing about Doctor Strange going into this and I enjoyed it a lot.

Although I found the origins part of the story a bit of a drag and found dormammu and his followers to be fairly bland, boring stuff once again on the villain side.

Having said that I liked how Strange beat dormammu in the end
    Introducing time to the dark dimension(I think that was what it was called?)
    and further down the line it looks like they might have set up a villain with some real potential for once. Cumberbatch was excellent as Strange, can't wait to see him and Tony Stark together on screen.

I know its been said a lot already but some of the special effects in this are amazing and should definitely be seen on a big screen with a face full of popcorn.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more strange in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Although I found the origins part of the story a bit of a drag and found dormammu and his followers to be fairly bland, boring stuff once again on the villain side.

I think they wasted a lot of potential with the villains. They started to try and create a level of doubt over the ancient one's motives, but did it in such a ham-fisted way, it was fairly obvious she had no evil intentions. I think they should have played up Mads Mikkelsen believing he was doing the right thing and given Strange a difficult choice to make rather than choosing good vs evil.

But other than that, it was good fun. Visually stunning. I really should have gone to see it in iMax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Interesting the comparison with Stark i.e. ego etc. I found Strange refreshing in the way that he has an ego but it is only minimum humour based unlike Stark, who if I am honest, I have grown tired of in the Avengers universe. Strange has an ego that is much less based on quip after quip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I watched it this weekend, I thought it was OK, not a patch on Winter Soldier or Civil War but enjoyable enough.
    I wanted more magic and I'm not too keen that they end creating weapons when they fought, I wanted more imaginative use for the magic.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

So I just watched this film last night. I'm normally quite 'meh' on the whole Marvel/Disney stuff and they are more often misses than hits. Both Thor films, Iron Man 2 & 3, Rogue One, Guardians of the Galaxy, the 2nd Avengers for me were in large parts boring and in other parts awful but I actually enjoyed Doctor Strange. I thought I might analyse it a bit to see why.

The Good Stuff:
    *Opening 20 minutes set things up nicely and introduced us to the world nicely. We get to know the main character in a way thats shown, not told (although there is a hammy line from Rachel McAdams character of "you've always spent faster than you've earned" - but even this isn't too out of place as they have backed it up quite well with the reveals in his life.) They show how good, confident and ambitious he is and then bang, they take all that away USING a fault - arrogance (trying to overtake on the road). This was nice and tight and set us up nicely for the second act. Also by showing how ambitious he is and how quickly he understands things, you can get behind him learning magic in what could have been a long drawn out training montage.

*The characters were pretty tight I thought. The cast was reasonably small for one of these films and not too many out of place people who are normally added for comedy or a turnkey - everyone seemed to know their role and shut their mouth :p Adding the Michael Stuhl character seems like a waste of a perfectly good actor in such a small role, and Mads Mikkelson wasn't given much to work on other than the former good cop gone bad - which I think is a criminal waste of such a fine actor. But they didn't overuse anyone and everyone was there for Benedict C to lean on and give us a really great character which was quite well developed for the world we are going into. They gave him a good basing in reality as well as being able to lead us into all the magic mumbo jumbo without cutting too many corners. A perfect superhero role for the actor, like Robert Downey Jr and Iron Man.

*The plot was a bit simple - outside power wants to destroy earth and someone is helping him and Dr Strange must get over himself and use his wits and powers to undo them, really basic stuff and yeah I've seen it before but the secret to making that kinda thing fresh is not to expose it too much. This is where the previous mentioned strengths come in - the characters and the set up. By leaving out a 'love angle' with Rachel McAdams the film frees up valuable time (only 1hr 40mins - perfect for the genre) for the story not to get bogged down in nonsense (which would let the simple plot be exposed) and the film managed not to make her useless either by adding another way to ground Strange and keep us in the real world and not the last 15 minutes of 2001 for 2 acts.

*Couldn't give a rats ass about the effects and action - it is what it is. For me nothing will live up to Terminator 2, Mad Max Fury Road, Aliens, Predator et al for action and even effects so Im neutral on this. The fights could be a little confusing but not enough for me to care that much about because the rest of the film was quite strong. Saying that - I did think Dormmamu looked excellent.

The Bad stuff:
    *Did one of the Sorcerers houses need to be in New York? "We are an ancient society who have protected the Earth for generations and one of the ancient houses was in New York - a city barely over 150 years old, if even (actually not sure). London - I can get on board with that to a point, but why not Rome? Why not Shanghai? Why not a Native American place (after all, their backstory would have made more sense with the whole Great Spirit and all that... it actually writes itself). But no no - New York and London, nice English speaking places which people know,,, this smells of boardroom "who the hell cares about Italians? Can we put it in New York? People know New York."
    This might seem like a minor thing but for me I deduct points because the film breaks with its own reality in order to put sh*t in that people will know. It cheapens it.

*The opening song was Hit Me Baby One More Time for no reason at all. Again, breaking with its own reality. This is a hangover from Guardians of the Galaxy which played recognisable music for the audience to clap to because they know it. It does nothing, is massively out of place and the whole 'real' music thing is ignored as soon as it started - again, boardroomed. Don't cheapen yourselves for cheap pops - you just seem pedantic (Speaking of pop, does anyone remember Push Pops? The sweet that you push from the bottom and kinda looks like lipstick! They were kinda horrible but as a kid I loved them and I just thought I'd mention them for no reason to kind of prove a point that just because you might know something it doesn't mean its relevant to whats going on).

can't think of much more bad stuff right now, but yeah - quite enjoyable. I'd give it a solid 7/10. Doesn't overstay its welcome, good characters, effective plot, not boring and quite fun. Easily on the higher end of the Marvel films for me, right up there with Civil War and Winter Soldier.

Advertisement