Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Inception-esque scenes do show some visual promise; with the mystical element there's surely some scope to allow a little flourish behind the MCU's cameras. I don't have any belief they will but I'd love to be proven wrong. The cinematography couldn't be any more dull than the Russo Brothers' attempts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive a feeling theyre holding back on the visual effects stuff.

this close to the films release theres no point showing more than the inceptionesque stuff as its enough to get the punter in. but anyone that knows the comics knows strange is all over "other realms" with weird physics so i'd be surprised if its not done.

did like that joke in the last trailer though.

:D

theyre starting to show a little more in the TVspots

stuff like
    him messing with time and how the cape seems to have a personality

its not too bad but TBH were that close to the release now i think ill avoid em from now on so i can enjoy seeing it in the film.

yeah now this is what i was looking for.

very brief vid her containing stuff weve already really seen in the trailer but gives a nice look at the acting on display.

looking forward to the snarkiness this seems to imply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Out next week, and have been avoiding anything about it since initially being underwhelmed by the trailer.

As its Marvel, I'll definitely go see it, but can't help but not be that excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When will reviews be out? Kind if thinking its a wait and see on this

^ Tonight apparently..

yeah out tuesday.

bit of a mad day for a release if ya ask me but hey. vue are putting on 14 shows the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tickets booked for Tuesday afternoons viewing can't wait.

Kind of hoping no one else thinks of looking for a Tuesday starting date and I'll have the cinema to myself :) As of now I do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tickets booked for Tuesday afternoons viewing can't wait.

Kind of hoping no one else thinks of looking for a Tuesday starting date and I'll have the cinema to myself :) As of now I do :)

Doesnt seem to be much hype about this compared to the other marvel movies. Tuesday is great because it 2 for €10. Work next day is a problem but then I work in a library and it will probably be staffless by next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pretty psychodelic taste of the music

No official reviews until Sunday but early reactions seem positive!

Link

Lots of praise for action sequences and visuals, though lots claim the story is a tad formulaic!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

titan18 wrote: »
    When will reviews be out? Kind if thinking its a wait and see on this

Reviews (Irish ones anyway) are embargoed until Tuesday.

oooh nice little look at the combat we can expect.

Reviews are coming out and they seem strong from what I can see without reading any off them.

Reviews are coming out and they seem strong from what I can see without reading any off them.

I've seen several critics on Twitter raving about the VFX

got the tickets for tomorrow night.

cant wait.

apparently the score is meant to be brillant with many saying its the first in an age to make an impact. im going to see it in 2d with the bro as his buggered up eye means 3D aint an option for him but even people that HATE 3D seem to say its eyepopping in this.

From review so far., I gather the characters and story are pretty formulaic (which was obvious from the trailers) but the visuals and action are by the far the best Marvel have done so far.

So, I'm predicting the thread will be divided between those who feel the visuals are enough to make up for a substandard plot and those who don't. I'm seeing it later today and my anticipation is higher than it was, based on what I've heard. I never thought I'd say this but I'm almost regretting not getting a ticket for a 3d showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say this but I'm almost regretting not getting a ticket for a 3d showing.

In fairness the 3D aspect isn't completely redundant. I never thought I'd say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I liked it a lot. There's a pretty cool inversion on the act 3 action which I won't spoil, but it was real neat. It's also gorgeous and totally worth seeing in imax. Two post credits scenes.
    Only MCU wide references were a throw away reference to the avengers, and another infinity stone! So he'll be showing up in infinity wars I assume

Post credits were Thor and Doctor Strange, then Mordo turning evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Just back. By feck it looks absolutely AMAZING. Cannot praise the visuals enough. Some of the sequences are jaw dropping.

The movie as a whole is let down a bit by a so so script, and a large amount of jokes fall flat.

Worth a watch though. Go see it in the cinema, it needs to be seen on the biggest screen you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought it was brilliant - I really knew piss all about Doctor Strange going into so didn't really know what to expect, but probably ended up being my favourite of the MCU Origins stories so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Tefral

As a movie I thought it was good! Very self contained. The visuals were brilliant, like a mix of the matrix, inception and a small bit of acid.
    They strayed quite far from the comics in parts. I think they didnt quite make him out to be as much of a dickhead, only referenced it. Very hard to buy into the character in the movie versus the comics.

I liked the way in the fight scene with Mordo, he mentions the staff of the living tribunal which is a subtle way of introducing a power beyond. If you want to know what that is, it is a giant yellow body with a detached head with many faces. It turned up to help the heroes defeat Thanos when he got the Gauntlet.

This may be explained when they inevitably introduce the concept of Mistress Death as Thanos' motivation to get the stones and the Gauntlet.

No mention of Stranges dead sister either, which is why his fear of failure is there as she died on his Operating Table.

There is a mid credit scene and a post credit scene.

I really enjoyed.

One annoying thing was Cumberbatch's accent irritated at times.

just back from it myself.

my impressions of it during the film were :

*ok here we go.

*hmmm its a bit naff. not sure if i like this.

*ooh thats nice . its getting better.

*jesus h christ !

*that was bloody brilliant. im going again for the 3D !

:D:D:D:D:D

in other words its a bit of a slow burner to start with, clunky even, but once you get to the training bit it kicks into high gear and my GOD are the visual worth it.

the final battle is an amazing bit of choreography and one of the most inventive ive seen in an age. i can see why reviewers were name checking "the matirx" . but i love, LOVE how he beats the big bad in the end.

like civil war its not some city being dropped on a guy, its brains, and its all the more fun for it.

8/10 from me.

i can see its flaws ,and i can see why some may not like it, but by god to get where they were at the end from where they started is some achievement. your literally going from the "normal" world to one with concepts way waaaaay out there and the fact they can bring the audience along with it without it seeming forced is some feat.

and they name drop left right and centre characters that IMO are gonna turn up in avengers infinty war. theyre deffo setting up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Just out and it's a big meh from me

I'll keep this short as I'm very tired and it's nearly bedtime.

First off, the theatre was almost empty. I know it's a Tuesday but it's still opening night. That can't be a good sign, can it?

Most of humour fell flat for me. I found Cumerbatch's American twang highly distracting. The plot is paper-thin. The villain is weak and forgettable. And by the end it just feels like another dull, vanilla origin story. And yes, there are both mid and post-credit scenes. If you have seen the trailers you have seen the movie. No surprises. Visually it is very impressive but not worth the price of admission.

I really have nothing else to say about this. I have forgotten most of it already. I'll be very interested to see how the general public perceive this and if it is a commercial success or not. I predict a strong opening followed by a very sharp decline.

doubledown wrote: »
    First off, the theatre was almost empty. I know it's a Tuesday but it's still opening night. That can't be a good sign, can it?

Where was this? I was at a 7 showing in Cineworld and there wasn't an empty seat to be had.

I really enjoyed it. Loved the inventiveness and the visuals. The final confrontation was pure genius and much better than the usual fare we get from these films (
    Reminded me of Heaven Sent in the most recent series of Doctor Who. Anyone know who voiced Dormammu?
    )

I caught a few of the Easter Eggs
    Rhodey was oviously the war vet suffering paralysis that Strange's colleague was talking about on the phone in the car, but who was the girl with controlled schizophrenia who'd been struck by lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The reviews for this film have been confusing since the start.

Very little shades of grey. Either good or bad, not really a range of opinion. I've been borderline on wanting to go since before the reviews and not sure.

My take away from what I've read so far is...
    - good acting
    - good special effects
    - good introduction to characters
    - lacklustre story

Is it too ripped off from inception, too paper thin, too much marvel before it... what?

I was worried about Cumberbatch cos he didn't come out shining from Neu Star Trek 2. Sounds like he has done ok.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Is it too ripped off from inception, too paper thin, too much marvel before it... what?

In fairness, it is influenced by Inception but it pumps it up to 11! And that's also just one facet of the dimensional magic on display. Can't wait for a sequel so we explore the other dimensions merely glimpsed.

Advertisement