Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Depends on what you mean by charismatic, Reeves isn't a showman like RDJ, but I always found that he has an understated but powerful magnetic presence that's hard to pin down. I'd certainly see him as charismatic.

I agree with this about Reeves. But. Strange should be on the verge of flamboyant and that's one thing I couldn't really see Reeves doing. It's just not how he'd play it and I think that'd be to the detriment of the character. Would like to see Reeves in the MCU at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,536 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tilda Swinton in talks to join

Deadline are reporting that Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to play villain Baron Mordo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Tilda Swinton has confirmed that she will be playing the Ancient One
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilda-swinton-confirms-role-as-ancient-one-in-doctor-strange

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Doctor Strange is going to be an origin story.

Kevin Feige
    For some reason people sometimes talked about how we're not doing an origin story, we're bored of origin stories. I think people are bored of origin stories they've seen before or origin stories that are overly familiar," Feige explained. "Doctor Strange has one of the best, most classic, most unique origin stories of any hero we have, so why wouldn't we do that? That was sort of always the plan. How you tell that origin, perhaps there are ways to twist it or play with that, but for the most part, it's a gift when the comics have something with such clarity of story and of character. That doesn't always happen in the comics, and when it does, you use it."

Because Doctor Strange is going to be dealing heavily with concepts only touched upon in other Marvel movies -- like the Quantum Realm, which was introduced in Ant-Man -- I asked Feige which character will serve as the eyes of the audience to introduce them to this film's new world. "Strange, for sure," he said. When prompted about what purpose Rachel McAdams' unspecified character will serve, Feige noted that she's the audience's eyes "to a certain extent."

"She plays a very, very big part in the movie and represents a certain point of view of the worlds that we experience in that movie, but Doctor Strange, without a doubt, is the character we follow through the movie," said Feige.

Talk also turned to the gender of the Ancient One, considering in July Tilda Swinton said she didn't know whether she would play the character as a man or a woman.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/09/30/doctor-strange-kevin-feige-discusses-rachel-mcadams-female-ancient-one?%20hub%20page&utm_content=4

FFS his origin is basically Tony Stark with magic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not really strange is a miracle surgeon who damages his hand in a car crash thus rendering his surgery skills null and void then he turns to magic no suits of armour here

• Advertisement

Not really strange is a miracle surgeon who damages his hand in a car crash thus rendering his surgery skills null and void then he turns to magic no suits of armour here

Genius, self centred and narcissistic playboy has traumatic and life changing debilitating event, cauing introspection and use of new power to fight the forces of evil.

Which one am I talking about?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

BAAATMAN!!

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    BAAATMAN!!

Ha

Bruce wasn't a dick like the other two, happened when he was too young

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Genius, self centred and narcissistic playboy has traumatic and life changing debilitating event, cauing introspection and use of new power to fight the forces of evil.

Which one am I talking about?

Sure, put in broad strokes they look very similar but the journey is quite different and the inclusion of magic alone will make this origin stand out quite a bit from any of the other superhero origin stories.

Granted Feige is overselling how original and different this will be but it is undeniably a different origin story to any Marvel have had so far.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Sure, put in broad strokes they look very similar but the journey is quite different and the inclusion of magic alone will make this origin stand out quite a bit from any of the other superhero origin stories.

Granted Feige is overselling how original and different this will be but it is undeniably a different origin story to any Marvel have had so far.

You replace magic with tech abd it's the same. Now I'm not saying that it doesn't need explanation but flssh backs would suffice.

It's generally/broadly too similar to be an entire origin film again

The way Marvel/Disney will look at it is how many casual viewers (70% of the MCU viewers) will have a clue who Dr Strange is and why the hell does the MCU now have magic in it.

An origin story was always going to happen to introduce Dr Strange and magic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It won't be straigh up magic anyway, it will be like Thor where they pass it off as a more advanced science or something, probably why he's mentioning the quantum realm from Antman. Nutjobs use quantum mechanics to explain all sorts of made up bollox in real life so they'll probably go that route here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

The way Marvel/Disney will look at it is how many casual viewers (70% of the MCU viewers) will have a clue who Dr Strange is and why the hell does the MCU now have magic in it.

An origin story was always going to happen to introduce Dr Strange and magic.

They talk about magic in the first Avengers movie, though. When Widow is trying to counsel Hawkeye to get over being been Loki's flying monkey, she says something along the lines of monsters and magic being something they were never trained for.

Most of the Asgardian stuff has been explained as magic, though there was that one scene in Thor 2 where Jane puts their magic into scientific terms when she's lying in the Soul Forge/Quantum Field Generator. Wasn't there also some stuff in Avengers 2 with Stark and Banner discussing the properties of the hammer and whether or not it was really "magic"?

It wouldn't hurt to have a better and more thorough explanation of the idea, but it's definitely nothing new to the MCU.

The notion that Stark and Strange have the same origin is pure bollocks. Similarities, loose ones in terms of superhero origin stories, don't make them the same. There is definite need for a Doctor Strange origin story because it's needed to set up not only Strange but pretty much all the supporting cast/villains. Also, it's a great origin.

Michael Stuhlbarg cast as
    Doctor Nicodemus West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Tefral

Michael Stuhlbarg cast as
    Doctor Nicodemus West

Yesssssssssss! Stuhlbarg is an unreal actor. Chuffed with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Our first look at Stephen Strange perhaps?

eNVsT9e.jpg

Also cast Mads Mikkelson, Amy Landecker and Scott Adkins

Watched the 1978 TV movie today on Youtube and I have to say it wasn't bad for what it was it stood up ok as an origin story.

Very surprised to see John Mills in it.

Doctor-Strange-EW-615x461.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So for the uninitiated... is the 'magic' in Dr. Strange actual magic, Harry Potter style, or just pseudo-science ala Thor in that it's simply hyper-advanced technology? Not that the Marvel movies could be mistaken for hard sci-fi or anything, I'm just a little curious as to what all the hocus-pocus is supposed to be, relative to the universe it exists in...

pixelburp wrote: »
    So for the uninitiated... is the 'magic' in Dr. Strange actual magic, Harry Potter style, or just pseudo-science ala Thor in that it's simply hyper-advanced technology? Not that the Marvel movies could be mistaken for hard sci-fi or anything, I'm just a little curious as to what all the hocus-pocus is supposed to be, relative to the universe it exists in...

According to Feige
    “He does cast spells, which in the comics have very sort of tongue-twisty fun names,” related Feige. “We don’t want to shy away from that, because that’s what makes Doctor Strange Doctor Strange…He can create these mandalas of light that he can use as shields and he can use as sort of weapons. He can create portals that will open before your eyes that he can step through and go to other places around the world. And frankly, even in this film, we’ll only touch upon what a lot of his powers are.”

http://nerdist.com/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-explains-doctor-stranges-powers/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »

He's a wizard Harry pixelburp.

Though having said that, the norse gods are magical in the comics too and they shoehorned in the psuedo science stuff for the film so who knows.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they have not decided

Advertisement