Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    So for the uninitiated... is the 'magic' in Dr. Strange actual magic, Harry Potter style, or just pseudo-science ala Thor in that it's simply hyper-advanced technology? Not that the Marvel movies could be mistaken for hard sci-fi or anything, I'm just a little curious as to what all the hocus-pocus is supposed to be, relative to the universe it exists in...

I can't imagine they'll be able to make it "advanced science" like they got away with in Thor. Dr. Strange is very very magic orientated. Casting spells, creating portals, travelling the astral plane. He's great and I really hope they do him justice... but so far they've been super faithful to all the other characters so I'm confident this'll be great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting; thanks for that. Not sure how I feel about overt magic creeping its way into the MCU. Never been a mad fan of it as a concept in any genre - except perhaps where its rules are very explicitly adhered to or have definitive limitations. Otherwise it seems like you're only ever a small step from lazy writing and 'magic' being the panacea to any narrative problem, be it a locked door or even death. Hopefully that won't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Tefral

Sounds like they have not decided

This is very interesting
    “In this film, the Eye is a very important relic that can be quite dangerous if used in the wrong hands, because it has the ability to do any number of things, the most dangerous of which is, it can sort of manipulate probabilities,” explained Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige during an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “Which is also another way of saying, ‘screw around with time’ — which is part of our story.”

My bet is it contains the Time Infinity Gem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

pixelburp wrote: »
    Otherwise it seems like you're only ever a small step from lazy writing and 'magic' being the panacea to any narrative problem, be it a locked door or even death.

Because there's no history in the MCU of people coming back from the dead or anything... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Benedict Wong (The Martian) has been cast as sidekick Wong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Wait. A guy called Wong is playing a character called Wong? That's wong on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CbxWpPmW0AAf354.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

zFND5Yd.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know it's a teaser but it could be the first Marvel trailer in a while that didn't particularly impress me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Basq wrote: »
    I know it's a teaser but it could be the first Marvel trailer in a while that didn't particularly impress me! :(

Looks class to me. Inception meets MCU. This looks like it will offer a very fresh take on the MCU which a lot of people have been calling out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looks class to me. Inception meets MCU. This looks like it will offer a very fresh take on the MCU which a lot of people have been calling out for.
    It reminded me a little too much of Inception to be honest.... but with a third-rate director behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Despite being similarly odd and not sure bets at all, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man each had fantastic first trailers. This does not.

This trailer looks way too similar to Batman Begins, Inception, Matrix, and even Avatar: The Last Airbender. The two 'wow' shots - Strange leaving his body + the Manhattan inception part - just aren't that great and overall it looks a bit goofy.

Plenty of time for me to be proven wrong and the next trailer could be amazing but this isn't a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Tefral

Has anyone watched the Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme movie yet? Its worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bacchus wrote: »

Can't speak for other people, but a 'fresh' take for me would be a little more prowess and imagination in the lensing of these MCU films: I watched a clip from the upcoming Civil War and while the movie itself has me excited, holy god the framing and composition was just ... boring. Utterly anaemic. Like, about as attractively composed as a TV sitcom or a mid-range family drama serial. Marvel are lowballing the directorial talent and it really, really shows.

As to this trailer, well I never had an interest in Dr. Strange to begin with & frankly 'magic' is too often an excuse for narrative cheating, so if this trailer was meant to pull me into that magical realm, mission failed. Maybe the powder is being kept dry for a later, more intense preview, but so far, so underwealming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not a lot to be enthused or critical of it - seemed a very generic trailer.
    That said, Cumberbatch is probably the most talented actor (save Bale) to play a superhero, so happy to wait until release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't overly sold on his accent in the trailer. Maybe I just wasn't really expecting him to do an actual American accent.

The trailer had some good bits but didn't really show off anything of substance, so hard to tell what to make of it. This trailer and the promo images certainly look the part anyway.

JTgyd4g.jpg

To me, Phase 1's biggest risk was Thor. Phase 2's was Guardians of the Galaxy. Phase 3's biggest risk is Doctor Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Penn wrote: »
    To me, Phase 1's biggest risk was Thor. Phase 2's was Guardians of the Galaxy. Phase 3's biggest risk is Doctor Strange.

People are also still waiting for the "turkey" that Ant-Man failed to deliver. I'm not saying that people who aren't enthused about this have made there minds up, I wasn't blown away by that teaser myself, but there will be a small minority (as there always is) and ironically they gave out about people going into BvS with their minds made up.

The trailer definitely has be interested, I've never read any Strange comics so have no idea how magic works in the Marvel Universe so I'm intrigued as to how they pull it off cinematically. I actually think that the riskiest thing about this film isn't the magic but the fact it's an origin story, and looks to be a fairly typical one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Was benedict doing an accent?

There was 1 line where he does, but later lines where he doesn't (unless that's another actor?).

Also, it's noticeable how non-American actors try to nail the accent by chewing the letter 'r' for an extra moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought that was a pretty good teaser. Glad it looks different to the usual Marvel trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Was benedict doing an accent?

There was 1 line where he does, but later lines where he doesn't (unless that's another actor?).

Also, it's noticeable how non-American actors try to nail the accent by chewing the letter 'r' for an extra moment.

I found the accent almost identical to Hugh Laurie's in House.

I liked the trailer, plenty more fantastical moments to come in later trailers and the film. Plenty of acting talent on hand to pull this through....I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I couldn't give 2 ****s about how his accent sounds tbh.

This is a fantastic trailer imo, even if there are similarities to The Matrix and Inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's also worth pointing out that the shots we see in the teaser trailer are mostly confined to what looks like the early "origin" scenes. Plenty more to come I'd say though it is quite nice (for now) to have a trailer not spoil everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I read a funny but accurate critique of superhero origin stories recently: every film has characters with back stories the audience aren't familiar with, but superhero films are some of the only ones that insist on telling said back stories :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh hell yeah !

im up for this one. the visuals will be key in this so i doubt weve seen anything of real substance in that trailer, just enough to entice. got more of a "matrix" vibe off it TBH than inception, what with the whole "the world isnt what you think it is", and i cant wait to see the genuine magic stuff show up.

its certainly the riskiest one since THOR but im not getting that "ghostbusters" vibe off it so far and am interested to see where they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,331 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I read a funny but accurate critique of superhero origin stories recently: every film has characters with back stories the audience aren't familiar with, but superhero films are some of the only ones that insist on telling said back stories :pac:

Because the origin of how someone got superpowers or became superman is more of a story than how Sandra in "Whatever Movie" did in college in order to get her nice job.

How someone gets their powers is usually a massive part of who the character is and why they act as they do - I see no issue with origin stories in general. The problem I have is when/if they devote most of a movie to it - and tell the same basic story we have seen before. The last Spider Man reboot a case in point - had they given him a significantly different origin (hinted at with regards his dad, dna and possible pre-condition which allowed him to become Spider Man) it would have been fine - but it was edited down to basically the same one with saw with Toby McGuire just a few years previously.

Dr Strage is a new character to most - how he became/becomes one of the most powerful beings in the marvel universe is a story that should be told, and not just skipped past in order to not do an origin movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This definitely is accurate, but so many characters from comic books are driven by their origin story that I think it is really quite important. Think of Spiderman, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America, Batman, Fantastic Four, Iron Man... the list goes on.

Without the origin story, most superheroes would be boring tbh. So you felt like fighting crime then threw on some spandex? Meh. The differing motivations and origins is in my opinion one of the only things that keeps Marvel and to a lesser extent DC movies interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

plus IIRC he was a pryk before the accident so he goes through a fairly decent character arc to become the man he is today.

i reckon ALOT of medical lads will recognize his type from their temp days in hospital . egomania and consultants seem to go hand in hand.

:D

• Advertisement

I really like the character and the J. Michael Straczynski 6 part Strange series is one of the few Marvel stories I've really enjoyed but that trailer is just so generic and dull. It looks like every someone saw the work of Christopher Nolan and decided to remake it, Cumberbatch looks just like Bale did in Begins and much of the surroundings could be the set used for his training scenes. And then you have the cities folding inward, the whole thing seems indebted to Nolan and even then it just comes across looking boring.

Advertisement