Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Strange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,536 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ewan McGregor, Jake Gyllenhaal, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Ethan Hawke, and Matthew McConaughey are on Marvel's shortlist

Either Isaac or Leto would be my preferred choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ewan McGregor, Jake Gyllenhaal, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Ethan Hawke, and Matthew McConaughey are on Marvel's shortlist

Ooo Isaac would be good. But he would he want to do another franchise? I wouldn't have a problem with Keanu but he would split the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jared Leto is probbably the best from that group of names.

Oscar Isaac probably won't get it because of Star Wars even thought both are Disney he could be tied to Star Wars for the next 10 years give or take.

Ewan McGregor, Jake Gyllenhaal please no.

Matthew McConaughey alright, alright, alright all wrong

Ethan Hawke probably could pull it off but I don't see him taking/getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Nathan Fillion would be great but thats just because I really want him in a Marvel film. Jim Caviezel would also be good choice.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Nathan Fillion would be great but thats just because I really want him in a Marvel film. Jim Caviezel would also be good choice.

Fillion was in GotG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Fillion was in GotG

10 second voice cameo isn't exactly why the Fillionites are looking for.

Fillion was in GotG

An actual role though. Not mean monster #34.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Bizarre shortlist!
    Avoiding mainstream actors has been key to success so far I think.
    Chris Pratt stealing a role that many would have thought was actually based on Nathan Fillion proves it.

I stand by Garret Dillahunt. The right look of "weird" I think.

Aidan Gillen..

Maybe he could use this 6 minute short as his audition tape. The short is called "Ambition." It's well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Doctor Strange will be....................Benedict Cumberbatch, a lot of reports are saying this evening anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Benedict lands it apparently according to Deadline, coup for Marvel.

Edit beat :pac:

He's a fantastic actor but I'm a bit tired of the Cumberbatch love-in. I'm sure he'll be great, I can't remember have we seen him do a Yank accent? It would be kind of cool if they transplanted him and the story to Engerland.

DC were seemingly pursuing Cumberbatch also so I'm sure that played a role in Marvel locking him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Aidan Gillen..

Maybe he could use this 6 minute short as his audition tape. The short is called "Ambition." It's well worth a look.

cheers for that.

that was a great little short. gillans a great actor but i dont see him as the Doc.

mind you it looks like cumberbatch is and i dont see him either ! :D

ah well im sure he'll do a good job. cant fault the man on the acting front .TBH my main conscern is doctor strange is up there with thor as one that could be completely fecked up very easily.

heres hoping they handle it with the skill theyve shown so far. visually this one could be fantastic what with the whole extra dimensional supernatural stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,536 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Scott Derrickson (Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose) is to direct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Deadline wrote:
    the first draft was penned by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer

!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

!!!!!!!!!

From CNET:
    The "Doctor Strange" movie will be produced by Marvel's Kevin Feige ("The Avengers") and will be penned by Jon Spaihts who is known for his screenplays for "Prometheus" and "The Darkest Hour." Spaihts replaces original screenwriters Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly.

I would really like to read that first draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buckybarnes

He's a fantastic actor but I'm a bit tired of the Cumberbatch love-in. I'm sure he'll be great, I can't remember have we seen him do a Yank accent? It would be kind of cool if they transplanted him and the story to Engerland.

It'd be even more cool if Marvel attempted to think outside of the box for once and not limit their lead roles to white dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It'd be even more cool if Marvel attempted to think outside of the box for once and not limit their lead roles to white dudes.

Meh I'm not a fan of changing the original concepts of characters just to 'mix it up a little'. Black Panther was announced today so that's that covered, but I hope they stay away from such nonsense as having a black/female/outside the box Doctor Strange or the ilk. They only get once chance to do these films from the comics, why not do them right.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Meh I'm not a fan of changing the original concepts of characters just to 'mix it up a little'. Black Panther was announced today so that's that covered, but I hope they stay away from such nonsense as having a black/female/outside the box Doctor Strange or the ilk. They only get once chance to do these films from the comics, why not do them right.

Well maybe not just one shot. In the xmen they went back in time to cancel out number 3.
    Or at least thats what I took away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Reckon he'll be great.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Perfect casting on paper at least.

I was hoping for Keanu Reeves though its certainly better casting than it could have been. Long as its not another generic origins story this could really be something special.

I was hoping for Keanu Reeves though its certainly better casting than it could have been. Long as its not another generic origins story this could really be something special.

Strange is a charismatic character (even when he reigns in his excesses after the accident). No way could Reeves pulled that off

Corholio wrote: »

Pffft, have you no imagination!!!

It should have been the White Panther and be a woman, who is a working mom and a lesbian from Finland, in the snow!!!

Strange is a charismatic character (even when he reigns in his excesses after the accident). No way could Reeves pulled that off

Depends on what you mean by charismatic, Reeves isn't a showman like RDJ, but I always found that he has an understated but powerful magnetic presence that's hard to pin down. I'd certainly see him as charismatic.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you mean by charismatic, Reeves isn't a showman like RDJ, but I always found that he has an understated but powerful magnetic presence that's hard to pin down. I'd certainly see him as charismatic.

I would find him too flat. He has presence and I actually like his films but not the gravitas that Strange should have.

Totally my opinion mind

Advertisement