Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Hah, great stuff. Theres been talk of this since before beer was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just created a separate thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Guinness have launched a "Dublin Porter" and a "Caribbean Porter" to the UK market.

Extra & Foreign Extra?

320889.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A bit weaker in both cases: 3.8% and 6%.

Finding it very difficult to believe there was anything close to a 3.8% beer in the logs for 1796.

Ha! I didn't even read the labels.

"Brewer's Source" indeed.

• Advertisement

Here are the back labels

the creative writing department has been busy

320891.jpg

320893.jpg

BeerNut wrote: »
    A bit weaker in both cases: 3.8% and 6%.

Finding it very difficult to believe there was anything close to a 3.8% beer in the logs for 1796.
    in fairness (!) it does say "re-interpret" old recipes.

:pac:

in fairness (!) it does say "re-interpret" old recipes.
    Yeah, but without the actual old or new recipes, that statement means precisely fork-all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They got the date right anyway. :pac:
    Guinness porter and stout were a sensation. Before the arrival of the railway, Arthur used Ireland's canal system to move his beers around the island. Aware that British brewers were busily exporting to all parts of the empire, he developed a stronger version of his beer for the Caribbean trade. It was launched in 1801 and was called West Indies Porter. It was this beer that turned Guinness into a global phenomenon.

Arthur's son Benjamin took on the export trade and renamed the beer Foreign Export Stout Porter. Over time, the title was shortened to Foreign Export Stout and today FES is the basis for the various forms of Guinness brewed around the world.

http://www.beer-pages.com/stories/guinness-is-good-for-you.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a punk ipa in Stansted and two days later in Croatia. London said BB jun15, croatian said BB dec14. So im not sure when each was bottled but that BB difference made for two completely different beers. London tasted great all the floral smell and taste i associate with a great punk. The dec14 barely smelled of anything and no taste bar the slightest crappy malt.

That was the biggest difference ive ever experienced in hops deteriorating. I heard of it but this really hammered it home to me. Probably one of the most susceptible beers to it in fairness.

Searching David Hughes's A Bottle of Guinness Please, the definitive work on this stuff, the earliest date he gives the gravity for West Indies Porter is 1824 when it was 1.082.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    Had a punk ipa in Stansted and two days later in Croatia. London said BB jun15, croatian said BB dec14. So im not sure when each was bottled.
    Punk dates are exactly one year from bottling day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

For a company that bases practically everything on (an imagined, fanciful) history it really has been quite successful in burying its history.

Some day I'll write a monograph on Guinness and historic myth-making.

Punk dates are exactly one year from bottling day.

They should probably do 4 months then so! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I had a few nice beers last night.

My favourite was my first from Beavertown. Their Rye IPA. Very very tasty I must say.

I have their smokey porter in the fridge currently waiting for Friday to have that one.

Also last night I had a bottle of Fire Rock which was good.

And lastly I had a couple of Founders Centennial. Had this before it's a main stay in my fridge

They should probably do 4 months then so! :p
    They'd probably like to, but Tesco says no.

Currently in a bar in zagreb and about to meet the brewer of croatias first craft brewery. Great APA and very nice brown from Nova Runda brewery. It looks like they are possibly looking at an ireland type of micro explosion soon. Good news for croatian holiday makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Currently in a bar in zagreb and about to meet the brewer of croatias first craft brewery. Great APA and very nice brown from Nova Runda brewery. It looks like they are possibly looking at an ireland type of micro explosion soon. Good news for croatian holiday makers.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Tomislav.........disgusting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Joekers

Enjoying a Trappistes Rochefort 6 tonight absolutely outstanding cannot wait to get onto the 8 and 10 over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I've been saving this bottle for a while and decided today was the day. No work tomorrow and heading to the Irish craft beer festival so why not?

Drinking an Alesmith Speedway Stout. Could possibly be the best stout I've ever had.

10245349_10153038990269947_4889118831037406903_n.jpg?oh=d19e47a4133cca8fb7b0da11e8b80173&oe=54706226&__gda__=1416516144_9b37c66d7864fc9a44af3b26c0bc383f
    And before anyone comments. All glasses where purchased or given to me as a gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Think I might be in for a treat this evening:

beer_147169.jpg

• Advertisement

I think you'll be left slightly disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

200 fathoms at the rds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

matrim wrote: »
    200 fathoms at the rds

Oh shut up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Smoked porter from Beavertown. Tis nice.

Have a couple of bottles of 8degrees rye ale and black ipa for later. 4 for a tenner in Molloys. I couldn't say no. Tried the hurricane ipa before which was also part of the offer but I wasn't massively impressed by it so left it and went for the other two this time round.

Just started the black ipa. My first ever black ipa. It's interesting. This ones a bit cold yet so will see as it warms a little before casting judgement.

Judging black ipa's by this one I think they're interesting. Stoutly complexity with ipa flavours folding through

As for the rye ipa. Simcoe I think they called it. I like it. Would buy again.

8 degrees since Amber Ella have gone up in my estimations. Nothin quite hittin the high of Amber Ella but decent stuff all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Currently finishing off a second Amsterdam Navigator 'Extra Intense' (ie 8%) bought in the local shop here in Nice - not too bad after having sampled some Leffe Royale - seems blonde is all we get in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I think you'll be left slightly disappointed

Nah, was very good actually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Currently finishing off a second Amsterdam Navigator 'Extra Intense' (ie 8%) bought in the local shop here in Nice - not too bad after having sampled some Leffe Royale - seems blonde is all we get in Ireland?

You can find Leffe Bruin here too, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can find Leffe Bruin here too, very nice.

And royale, and tripel, and 9, and radeusse, and vieille cuvee. I've bought all these in Cork at one time or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally got a chance to try Full Sail IPA.
    Oh my ****ing god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Citra dry hopped cask Black's Session Ale is awesome in the Bierhaus, Cork.
    And at €3 a pint for Beoir members it goes down way too easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement